Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.

Kin of the Stars

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Kin of the Stars

A community for the fans of Crest of the Stars, Abh culture, anime, technology, science fiction, video games, and friendly conduct.

+7
lymhfeubdach
tanis1lionheart
Almael
Schwenkdawg
mitsuki lover
AlexT
JGZinv
11 posters

Random Thought

Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 2853
    Imperial Credits : 19282
    Registration date : 2009-03-18

Random Thought - Page 9 Empty Re: Random Thought

Post by Almael 10/11/2009, 8:42 am

AlexT wrote:they kept installing motor developed in 1964 till 2000 Random Thought - Page 9 Icon_eek But it was worth it - simple and reliable as crowbar. But it's 4.0L and ate 16-17 L/100 (on my grand cherokee) while having 190 H.P. Random Thought - Page 9 Icon_eek
    That's some smart business. Random Thought - Page 9 Icon_lol
    Honda has always been the underground tip like AMD to Intel. Wink

Reminds me of this little bit of lyrics:
    "Suicide nation, mass-appeal, death addiction.
    Dead but dreaming, restrained by phobia
    Brainwashed into submission" (C) At the gates
    I know I heard this before...

Eras begin and end in minds of the people...
    Not sure how much you see on tv, but in here the situation is pretty bad when it comes to relations with Russia atm...
    Shoot me! *sigh*
    Nothing, except the gas issue last time, and not much, too.

That's a lot... good. Need it for little something i'm making..
    That's bat range. Wink

Story is always nice Random Thought - Page 9 Icon_cheers Btw, maybe you wanna try to make something in more "popular" style this time? 1-2 well developed main heroes and reader get most of the picture from their perspective. You know - less Herbert and more Garry Garrison, more adventure, less politics and static details.
    Yes, adventure and culture/social stuff, one or two political schemes at the beginning only.
    Depending on how far I decide to go with the scheme, it will definitly go away from possible cannon Seikai universe. I'm still reluctant to make it big.
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Number of posts : 542
    Imperial Credits : 12754

Post by AlexT 10/11/2009, 7:13 pm

Shoot me! *sigh*
    I'll post some stuff later, but for example - what Medvedev said at last presidents meeting. To make it short: when they asked him why he didn't meet/talk with Ukrainian president - he said he got some "home business" (in this context home is not county, it's the place where you live, more like hourse.In russian it's very distinct) so he didn't have the time. It's hard to explain, since it's very language specific, it was like a joke meant to insult, especialy if we consider they had this meeting planed.

Almael wrote: Yes, adventure and culture/social stuff, one or two political schemes at the beginning only.
    Depending on how far I decide to go with the scheme, it will definitly go away from possible cannon Seikai universe. I'm still reluctant to make it big.
    I really hope there's some more info on culture and social stuff in that last novel, cuz it feels like Seikai is short on this kind of information. It may seem like there's a lot of details in novels and anime, but if we put it all together - it's not that much at all. What we realy see is only part of Abh society, mostly millitary and only very "official" information since all the characters in the book are "very official", with Lafiel to lesser degree, but she didn't experience much except millitary too so the only guy who had real life is Jinto. Very Happy I hope you'll explore all but "big millitary" aspects of Seikai universe more - things official story is not very rich with.
    How about we start topic to put together all the non-millitary aspects and discuss what's possible and what's not? And build the missing parts of Abh (and other nations), especialy simple, everyday stuff and not epic space battles..
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 10/12/2009, 6:11 am

AlexT wrote:he said he got some "home business"
    I got the gist. Yeah, I see the trouble. The problem is that your country is small and the group it's in is led by russia (GUS).

Almael wrote:
    I really hope there's some more info on culture and social stuff in that last novel, cuz it feels like Seikai is short on this kind of information.
    Sure, the end is a bit open so I can include any wish as long as it fits.
    Well, there are more infos in the Danshou books, we haven't translated yet. They are Ruyou's projects so it might take a long time.

I hope you'll explore all but "big millitary" aspects of Seikai universe more - things official story is not very rich with.
    Oh, this one is different to say the least, although the first part does have military war elements, because it's starts there. But otherwise very different. Random Thought - Page 9 Icon_wink
    Some will be in the 2nd part, but this one is mostly culture and social. Family and relationship stuff.
    I think I will cut the 3rd part down to give some insight that led to Lost Story 1.

How about we start topic to put together all the non-millitary aspects and discuss what's possible and what's not? And build the missing parts of Abh (and other nations), especialy simple, everyday stuff and not epic space battles..
    Sure. I won't change the storyline of this or any of the stories since I got them already in mind when I got the ideas for them. I just don't know how to get it done in details.

Just open up a new tread in the Abh thread. Put your thoughts, ideas, questions etc.

I have to look for names again, should have writtent them out. -_-;
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 4327
    Imperial Credits : 18295
    Registration date : 2009-04-10

Post by mitsuki lover 10/12/2009, 1:55 pm

I think it's true of any alien society in Sci Fi that you only see certain parts,mainly the higher castes.Take a look at Star Trek for instance,you really don't see a Vulcan or Klingon that doesn't belong to at least the upper middle class and rarely one of the lower classes.In fact do Vulcans HAVE a working class?
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT 10/12/2009, 2:47 pm

Almael wrote: I got the gist. Yeah, I see the trouble. The problem is that your country is small and the group it's in is led by russia (GUS).
    Not exactly small - check the map, it's to the right froim center: Europe map Smile It's just that when officials at such level show such unhidden disrespect - its a grim sign.
    Almael wrote: Sure, the end is a bit open so I can include any wish as long as it fits.
    Well, there are more infos in the Danshou books, we haven't translated yet. They are Ruyou's projects so it might take a long time.
    Knowing that Ruyou is working on it is a relief Very Happy
    Oh, this one is different to say the least, although the first part does have military war elements, because it's starts there. But otherwise very different. Random Thought - Page 9 Icon_wink
    Some will be in the 2nd part, but this one is mostly culture and social. Family and relationship stuff. I think I will cut the 3rd part down to give some insight that led to Lost Story 1.
    Sound cool, but for some reason i think "family and social" gonna be tough when it comes to Abhs. Not when you just describe the of relations - the details is where devil is.
    Sure. I won't change the storyline of this or any of the stories since I got them already in mind when I got the ideas for them. I just don't know how to get it done in details.
    Just open up a new tread in the Abh thread. Put your thoughts, ideas, questions etc.
    I have to look for names again, should have writtent them out. -_-;[/quote] Details is what i mean. You have the outline of the story in your mind, but then there's each little detail you can mention to make it come alive or just leave it at generic discriptions level. I'm pretty sure that exploring all the details about Abh culture si what 1st book was mostly about and what made it interesting. Maybe it's just me, but i realized importance of details when started learning about concept design.
    As for names - why not to make some simple algorithm for them based on names from ? Like few templates where name consist of 3-4 parts: La-fi-el for example - why can't there be other girl named Na-fi-el, La-mi-el etc etc. - you get the idea, it would save the headache Wink
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 10/13/2009, 6:33 am

mitsuki lover wrote:Vulcan or Klingon that doesn't belong to at least the upper middle class and rarely one of the lower classes.In fact do Vulcans HAVE a working class?
    Edit: Vulcans don't have casts. Obviously there are working classes like everywhere else, too. They just have more teachers, philosophers, priests (logic-religious culture), scientists than the average. Damn ST-XI, I want my sexy foxy Vulcans back! Random Thought - Page 9 Icon_twisted

I just realize that I might have taken on a lot with just part one...I guess I will have to use some cutting/compression tricks.

AlexT wrote:Maybe it's just me, but i realized importance of details when started learning about concept design.
    As for names - why not to make some simple algorithm for them based on names from ? Like few templates where name consist of 3-4 parts: La-fi-el for example - why can't there be other girl named Na-fi-el, La-mi-el etc etc. - you get the idea, it would save the headache Random Thought - Page 9 Icon_wink
    Lol. It's because you never did 'build' anything before.
    I have always been playing such things so details are something I do automatically.

Well, there are patterns to translate late japanese kanji to ath, but it's complicated and I simply don't know all of them. Baronh further needs another transformation for words.
    About a hundred definitions and rules are necessary. Name patterns aren't easier, because they use similar rules.
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT 10/17/2009, 3:00 pm

Almael wrote:Lol. It's because you never did 'build' anything before.
    I have always been playing such things so details are something I do automatically.
    Yeah, it's true. I guess it comes with experience Random Thought - Page 9 Icon_smile
    About a hundred definitions and rules are necessary. Name patterns aren't easier, because they use similar rules.
    I see... but most of the people don't know it so anything that sound Abh will do, though i noticed it's not your style Random Thought - Page 9 Icon_wink

I'm just back from movies, watched "Pandorium". Oh my, i knew there's a reason for this feeling i had when i first saw the poster on theater's site. Fearing possibility of disappointment i stacked beer and popcorn, but it was all in vain cuz movie is awesome. I can smell this type of sci-fi a mile away, it's so rare these days that it was pure joy to watch just for picture alone, details and atmosphere.
    Almael - you should see it Random Thought - Page 9 Icon_cheers Many expect it to be like "Event horizon" but it's different.
    I want more sci-fi moveis Random Thought - Page 9 Icon_sad

Oh, and i also seen "Blood" Last vampire" the movie...Not too good. It was especially disappointing was to see the only Japanese actress in movie performing worse than any of western actors. Also the fact they tried to pull it off as some blockbuster type only made things worse.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 10/19/2009, 1:31 pm

AlexT wrote:
    I'm just back from movies, watched "Pandorium". Oh my, i knew there's a reason for this feeling i had when i first saw the poster on theater's site. Fearing possibility of disappointment i stacked beer and popcorn, but it was all in vain cuz movie is awesome. I can smell this type of sci-fi a mile away, it's so rare these days that it was pure joy to watch just for picture alone, details and atmosphere.
    Alright, if it's better than Supernova, Alien Cargo (1999), etc.
    I heard Surrogate is good, too. So it will be double movie night. Random Thought - Page 9 Icon_lol

I want more sci-fi moveis Random Thought - Page 9 Icon_sad
    Hard to come by some good ones. There is at least another new one...Avatar

the only Japanese actress in movie performing worse than any of western actors. Also the fact they tried to pull it off as some blockbuster type only made things worse.
    Well, real serious japanese acting is kind of censored, it just looks artificialy forced.
    That's why I like Korean movies more.

Anyway, it looks like Afghanistan is going to be left alone soon.
    First, it's said that troops are not going to be less, which means this year is safe, but not that it's so next year or there will be more.
    Then, forcing the current government to accept election los.
    It's said there should be no more troops until this is solved, meaning as soon as the government changes everyone can retreat, since they are not related to them.
    Now only some more stunts are left to be played...
    The fight has long moved to pakistan and africa, so new bombs are needed and developed to bomb pakistan's arsenals next year.
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT 10/21/2009, 7:01 pm

Avatar is not connected to that anime/cartoon by any chance i hope?

The only good Japanise movies are in different category and class. I seen plenty and liked many, but they are mostly for more mature audience (not because of sex or violence but because of depth) and usualy quite philosophical.

I also seen Watchmen. First i thought it's another crazy American comic... but then i realized i should view it differently - it's no movie about superheroes but more like philosophical drama. So while i really didn't feel anything good at the beginning i actually kinda liked it at the end and realized maybe i underestimated DC* universe and all that comic stuff. And maybe US movies are getting more mature after all - i guess audience average level grows..

Spoiler:
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 10/22/2009, 8:53 am

AlexT wrote:The only good Japanise movies are in different category and class.
    I guess.
    Btw. as to scifi watch the Returner.

So while i really didn't feel anything good at the beginning i actually kinda liked it at the end and realized maybe i underestimated DC* universe and all that comic stuff. And maybe US movies are getting more mature after all - i guess audience average level grows..
    IMHO they have been copying anime/manga as well as several asian movies in the last decade. Harry Potter novels did the same by mixing manga story stuff together, mostly the magical genre that's mostly passe nowaday in manga.
    Due to this they improved a bit by finally having some depth.

Spoiler:

Edit: No, I meant the movie "Avatar" which will have a game of the same name.
    The cartoon Avatar: The Last Airbender is an American made pseudo anime.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 10/31/2009, 1:35 pm

While looking up some random search I just found out there is a live action of Moon child (2003).

Hmm, popular mechanics says:
    "3) UAVs aren't unmanned—they're remotely controlled."
    I dunno what they understand under drone or unmanned, but I think unmanned means there is nobody aboard.

I'm surprised Medvedev opposes Putin's view on Stalin.

Looks like the middle east is no good these days. (extremist throwing stones at other within the temple!) Then there is turkey's growing animosity.

Oh, well, so the new rocket went off without a problem. As I understand it they save cost on the inspections for manned flight. So this way they don't need to do inspection for cargos. I wonder why this was not pointed out befote the orbiter was build.
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT 11/2/2009, 9:37 am

What a busy time. And dangerous too... As many probably know from tv - we have epidemic here. Lots of "swine flu" and regular flu as well. So far about 70-80 died, about 150000 sick. Like there was no other problems...They still try to determine if swine flu is only a small percentage (it's usualy time for regular flu here)

Many people walk wearing all kinds of masks. I use nose filters - got a stash of those from some older job. They are well hiden and yet very effective as long as you breath with nose.

Spoiler:
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 4327
    Imperial Credits : 18295
    Registration date : 2009-04-10

Post by mitsuki lover 11/2/2009, 3:06 pm

The Middle East has always been that way.The Arabs and Jews seem to love to despise each other.I think most of them would die from shock if there were a real peace between Palestinians and Jews in the Mideast.I mean when Sadat made peace with Israel it was like the roof caved in and the World was about to end.
    On to more mundane matters:
    It appears that Bank of America is going to touch screen for their ATMs.Our bank in town got a new touch screen ATM and they had an
    'ATM Ambassador' sitting and telling people how to use it.She'll be there until Wednesday,I think she said.
    JGZinv
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 681
    Imperial Credits : 12936
    Registration date : 2009-03-17

Post by JGZinv 11/2/2009, 3:14 pm

Well there's a title to put on your resume....

Well I'm going to try and apply for a job at GameStop... I hear they are hiring temps.

Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 11/2/2009, 6:20 pm

Well, news on swine flu spreading now has been somewhat slow and limited to prevent panik. Yep, your countries request has been heard and shipping are underway.
    I don't really like nose filters. It's just uncomfortable and you need to breath harder.
    And in the cold it would cause the nose to run more. Good for spies and business but not in the long run.
    You should prepare for a cold winter (canned food, etc). I doubt a military escalation at this time, though.

Back to world...the issue ending with Kazai again was disapointing. I had expected some better scheme, but that will have to wait when it's over.

I found some nice ... "natural" pictures here. Random Thought - Page 9 Icon_twisted

I don't think there's gonna solution for middle east.

Mitsuki, I know your town is small, but isn't this kind of late? I know business people have to pay for the machine...

Spoiler:
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT 11/2/2009, 8:04 pm

Changed post a little cuz originally wrote it a bit late (was sleepy).
    Almael wrote:Well, news on swine flu spreading now has been somewhat slow and limited to prevent panik. Yep, your countries request has been heard and shipping are underway.
    We received the first plane already, not sure if our prime minister haven't stashed it in her basement somewhere though...
    I hate viruses and diseases - it's the enemy you can't fight and it doesn't take prisoners.Can't wait till this whole thing ends - had a nice party canceled because of it since 2 friends were summoned to work on weekend.

As for the east... we have a saying "East is a delicate business". It's always not easy to discuss it because the more you want to solve something - the more people get mad there. And when people get mad - war goes on Smile The best way is to leave it alone.
    There's a lot of people who prefer to live in the stone age and they are source of radical extremists, terrorists etc. Except for changing society around them (which will take a long time) there's no way to deal with it - only destroy them or leave em alone, but usually nobody wants to get hands (politically) dirty unless they receive some benefit and a good excuse.
    Solution ? Maybe legalize PMCs worldwide for starters...
    War (conflicts)- is just like any business, the extension of politics which is extension of business in it's own turn. When it happen - is happening cuz someone need it. But the easier it is to manipulate minds of the people the easier it is to pull it off. Strong religion, traditions, prejudices make it easy to manipulate people - something East is rich with.

You should prepare for a cold winter (canned food, etc). I doubt a military escalation at this time, though.
    I always have stuff like this prepared Smile I just checked my vegetables this weekend.
    Oh, btw, i got my land invaded by alien looking plant, i'll post it's photos tomorrow - it look like it gonna eat me too once it grow large Very Happy

Spoiler:
    And those photos of junk are truly horrible.... Looks like we'll have to go colonize mars sooner than i thought...
    And - i just watched Star Trek Smile Cool movie, though StarTrek always feel "old" like it belong in 70s max.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 11/6/2009, 5:48 pm

AlexT wrote:prime minister haven't stashed it in her basement
    Well, the vaccine had been in production for a while with the latest synthetic tech. Except for some countries they are supposed to be enough for most of the world.

War (conflicts)- is just like any business, the extension of politics which is extension of business in it's own turn. When it happen - is happening cuz someone need it.
    Yeah, it's like selling your product only the product is either a weapon or a policy.
    reminds me of a czech proverb: wars are fought for women and priests
    (obviously from the 100 year war)

Spoiler:

Cool movie, though StarTrek always feel "old" like it belong in 70s max.
    If you mean the chemistry factory used as background then yes.
    lymhfeubdach
    lymhfeubdach
    Rear Flyer
    Rear Flyer

Number of posts : 116
    Imperial Credits : 11769
    Registration date : 2009-03-24

Post by lymhfeubdach 11/9/2009, 3:52 am

I really need get my life back on track, I feel going so may roads just feel going nuts.Other then that I'am doing fine and well.
    JGZinv
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Post by JGZinv 11/9/2009, 1:30 pm

Stop - breathe, pray. Make lists of what needs doing, prioritize the items... get to doing things.

Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 11/9/2009, 4:24 pm

@Lymh: Xmas is coming and many more things will come up. You should just drop things that are not important or can be done later and take care of the most important ones first. If you have too many things to do then the only thing you can do is order them so you can do them quick one after another.
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT 11/11/2009, 8:31 am

Almael wrote:Well, the vaccine had been in production for a while with the latest synthetic tech. Except for some countries they are supposed to be enough for most of the world.
    I don't believe in this epidemic thing, they just made all the fuzz before president elections. World need some PR regulation policy in future like some experts that would point the moments when politic saying something that doesn't correspond to facts.
    They tend to manipulate and fool people more and more...
    "If you don't do politics - politics will do you"
    Your country has to prevent russian air superority first before dealing with tanks. Only then you got any chances. Then just use mines, bombs and artillery.
    Random Thought - Page 9 Icon_lol My country is far from needing anything like this - why use force if you can just buy anyone here. Atm we have nothing left but one big corruption at highest levels. At least when it comes to smaller scales of business and departments it's more or less ok - i guess cuz all the thiefs and criminals are siting in parliament now.

I just saw some ukraine armor designs. The new reactive design is intriguing.
    Yea, many interesting techs are developed here despite grim economical situation. I haven't heard about that armor yet..but it's been a while since i talked to any people related to tanks and stuff. Planes mostly. Though nothing interesting there - a guy who work's at Antonov is designing speed boats atm Wink
    A neighbor dealing in liquid metals and other stuff like that told me about his cold nickel-plating tech suitable for any type of plastic and
    other materials and is tons effective than traditional methods - very useful for rockets he said. I even wanted to try using it on my car's wheels but ain't got enough acid to do it atm. (our office is right next to r&d/production site so i have all tools and materials i need). But it's fun to nickel-plate a plastic coca-cola bottle or other everyday things.

If you mean the chemistry factory used as background then yes.
    Yea, that factory made me feel like at home Razz As well as that planet outpost.
    What i mean is tech design...for me - space ships are about metal surfaces, cables, panels, dim atmosphere etc etc - StarTrek ships are too "clean". However - that ship in the beginnig was quite different and ok compared to Enterprise bridge. I guess they couldn't change it too much from those ancient plastic decorations for to stick to original Smile
    When i was a child the first Sci-Fi movie that set standard of realism and looks for me was Aliens. After that StarWars, Star Trek etc always seemed like fairytales to me. This haven't changed - i learned to accept "warmer" ergonomic design but in heart i always feel drawn toward old "cold, dark, metal and cable mess" design.

Btw, there's discussion with John Goodson at CGTalk - the guy who was making models for all StarTreks, maybe it will be interesting 4 you Wink
    Spoiler:
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 11/11/2009, 8:58 pm

AlexT wrote:Planes mostly.
    Though nothing interesting there - a guy who work's at Antonov is designing speed boats atm Wink
    Oh, why not, I'm more into planes anyway, although, I havem't been watching for quite some time.
    I heard the former New Gen fighter (Berkut) something was replaced by another newer design (similar to F-22 again?).

Well, the sowjetunion had water planes...

A neighbor dealing in liquid metals
    Any terminator yet? Laughing

What i mean is tech design...for me - space ships are about metal surfaces, cables, panels, dim atmosphere etc etc - StarTrek ships are too "clean".
    Well, that's just bad and unsafe engineering. geek
    I don't even get into repairing issues. Just imagine some pipe blowing up close to you. The best that could happen is for you to die instantly. With a bit of luck you get your clothes messed up. No luck and you will wish to be dead.
    Or when running or falling hitting the cables or pipes.
    Nope I won't voluntarily set foot on such a ship for a trip.

This haven't changed - i learned to accept "warmer" ergonomic design but in heart i always feel drawn toward old "cold, dark, metal and cable mess" design.
    I will agree with dim or dark to save energy. Laughing

Btw, there's discussion with John Goodson at CGTalk - the guy who was making models for all StarTreks, maybe it will be interesting 4 you Wink
    Thanks. Didn't heard about him yet. I only know Andrew Probert (http://probertdesigns.com/Folder_TECH/Probert_HOME.html)
    and Rick Berman, who often attends usenet, but I haven't been there often in the last years.

I finally got to watch Pandorum and Surrogates. More here to in another new thread.

I haven't written any new story parts yet, so maybe next week.

Duh. Just forgot what else I wanted to write. (need sleep)
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT 11/12/2009, 8:24 am

Almael wrote:I heard the former New Gen fighter (Berkut) something was replaced by another newer design (similar to F-22 again?).
    Well, the sowjetunion had water planes...
    From what i hear - it's not manufactured atm, only prototypes. Even Berkut is not in serial production. Though F-22 is not exactly mass-produced plane either.

Water planes you mean what's called "ekranoplans" that fly a few meters above (water) surface? I had a model of one such inb childhood btw. Very Happy Anyway - i never seen em anywhere. I guess they're very fuel hungry so this concept was abandoned long ago, concept itself is very futuristic and cool.

Any terminator yet? Laughing
    Why, they're used in cpu coolers these days. But as always - i lack vocabulary for describing or discussing scientific stuff indepth Sad I'll get photo next time i'll see samples - it's cool how many things you turn into solid metal. It's used in rockets btw.

Nope I won't voluntarily set foot on such a ship for a trip.
    It's not what i meant. It has nothing to do with safety and remember - it's about design, and it's millitary/utility ships we're talking about. It just the "pure-efficiency" look of the interiors, without any "iPhone" pretty design. Anyway - ships in Aliens look way more realistic to eye than Star Trek - it's the same difference millitary (water) ship vs luxury yacht. Found this nice quote about it:
    "Just one look at it and you know there aren't gonna be any Jacuzzis on board.". Very Happy But again - that ship in the beginning of movie was alright inside and even usual StarTrek "flying saucers" look realistic thanks to all the plating and little metal details...an i tried not to notice those "windows" - sure everyone wanna see space with their own eyes Wink
    [spoiler]
    Random Thought - Page 9 Nostromo%20bridge
    This one is from Red Planet, but it's close:
    Random Thought - Page 9 Bridge%202
    http://www.zen171398.zen.co.uk/Alien/Nostromo%20cabin%20interior02.jpg
    And here's original concept design of Nostromo cockpit from "Alien" (1st movie):
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_7HTO3jP-_lk/SgUQ_qVz9FI/AAAAAAAACpw/fBvz1OHX2iM/s1600-h/2251511145_4187658215.jpg
    Corridor from Aliens:
    Random Thought - Page 9 Nostro05
    Not all deisgn was so unfriendly - the crew section is more StarTrek like indeed:
    http://auteursnotebook.s3.amazonaws.com/multiple%20images/Alien/Icon.jpg
    Some other random screen to helf refresh your memory Random Thought - Page 9 Icon_smile[spoiler]
    http://www.cyberpunkreview.com/images/alien12.jpg
    http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/a-m/aliens/aliens_shot2l.jpg
    http://www.igorstshirts.com/blog/conceptships/schneider_alien_4.jpg
    http://www.gonemovies.com/www/WanadooFilms/ScienceFiction/AliensVasquez.jpg
    http://www.ascendantjustice.com/files/oldfamiliar/alien/09.png
    http://application.denofgeek.com/images/m/75spaceships/main/sulaco.jpg
    Anyway - for me this "ultra-realistic" sci-fi type of design and maybe newer like in Alien Ressurection will always set standard for me.

Thanks. Didn't heard about him yet. I only know Andrew Probert (http://probertdesigns.com/Folder_TECH/Probert_HOME.html)
    and Rick Berman, who often attends usenet, but I haven't been there often in the last years.
    I seen his site before - some of the designs are nice but again - i ain't big fan of simplicity, clean and round stuff, but it all comes to what type of person you are. Those preferring round\simple shapes have also specific tastes in everything else - from movies to everyday things. I learned it some time ago and was amazed by how precisely a man's character (or mood) reflect on his choices when it comes to design. and atmosphere he prefer.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 11/12/2009, 12:00 pm

AlexT wrote:
    Water planes you mean what's called "ekranoplans" that fly a few meters above (water) surface?
    Yes, I meant those using ground effect. I think the problem was that they need to drive at a certain speed for efficiency. Similar to the gasturbine of an Abrams verses normal diesel of a Leopard 2.

But as always - i lack vocabulary for describing or discussing scientific stuff indepth Sad I'll get photo next time i'll see samples
    Ok. I think it's generally called plating technology, but imho this is broadly.

It's not what i meant. It has nothing to do with safety and remember - it's about design, and it's millitary/utility ships we're talking about.
    It just the "pure-efficiency" look of the interiors, without any "iPhone" pretty design.
    I see.
    Well, for me safety lies in design, so I think about safety first. But clean doesn't mean those pipes are not there, just hidden behind walls and access ports.
    Of course movie producers want to save work details. Random Thought - Page 9 Icon_lol
    I don't see more efficiency between an open pipe and one behind a removeable cover.
    Also as a ship owner, you should know how much work you got to put in into maintaining and cleaning. It's just simpler to clean a clean inside. I guess you know how it is to have to clean in the military and the pratical tricks used. Wink

Anyway - ships in Aliens look way more realistic to eye than Star Trek - it's the same difference millitary (water) ship vs luxury yacht.
    I agree, but that's because the military wants to cramp everything in the smallest possible hull. For interstella spaceships you deal with so much mass and space the small additional luxury design for the crew is neglegible.

Edit: If you look at modern ships like the old french stealth frigates or american stealth or LCS, they are all cleaner now.

"Just one look at it and you know there aren't gonna be any Jacuzzis on board.". Very Happy
    or Klingons. Random Thought - Page 9 Icon_lol

Spoiler:

Those preferring round\simple shapes have also specific tastes in everything else - from movies to everyday things. I learned it some time ago and was amazed by how precisely a man's character (or mood) reflect on his choices when it comes to design. and atmosphere he prefer.
    Is that your enlightment from psychology classes?
    Does this apply to me and is it good?

Spoiler:

I was reminded that my 'new' ocr license for japanese is expiring soon. I just ran some quick jobs for the seikai novels. It will take a long while to varify if I ever do it.
    @JGZin: if you want I can run a quick ocr on your Dual magazine texts you wanted translated. You will have to varify them yourself and fill in the corrections(use unicode tables, table) then use online machine translation.
    JGZinv
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Post by JGZinv 11/12/2009, 2:27 pm

I've got an OCR program... it just doesn't get all it's supposed to around 30% of the time.
    But I have interviews.. short manga, basically a pile of stuff.

Running it through a machine converter isn't a problem, been doing that for years.
    Usually when coupled with what I know of Japanese and the subject I can work out
    a reasonably accurate translation.

If you want something to start on... I've not gotten around to these:

https://2img.net/h/i32.photobucket.com/albums/d1/GuardianZinv/Translation/MasakiDualInterview.gif

https://2img.net/h/i32.photobucket.com/albums/d1/GuardianZinv/Translation/DoujinPg2.gif

https://2img.net/h/i32.photobucket.com/albums/d1/GuardianZinv/Translation/scan0012.gif

https://2img.net/h/i32.photobucket.com/albums/d1/GuardianZinv/Translation/scan0011.gif

https://2img.net/h/i32.photobucket.com/albums/d1/GuardianZinv/Translation/MitsukiCD.gif

https://2img.net/h/i32.photobucket.com/albums/d1/GuardianZinv/Translation/StaffInterview.gif

The last one being probably the hardest, as I know I started on it once but not much was recognized.

Any chance you can extend your trial by resetting a registry key, system clock, or editing a file somewhere?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 9/20/2024, 10:33 pm