Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.

Kin of the Stars

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Kin of the Stars

A community for the fans of Crest of the Stars, Abh culture, anime, technology, science fiction, video games, and friendly conduct.

+7
lymhfeubdach
tanis1lionheart
Almael
Schwenkdawg
mitsuki lover
AlexT
JGZinv
11 posters

Random Thought

Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 2849
    Imperial Credits : 19008
    Registration date : 2009-03-18

Random Thought - Page 12 Empty Re: Random Thought

Post by Almael 12/18/2009, 5:28 pm

It's either in the exe or sbf related files. Reason is that work are devided so specifics have to be contained to specific sections or one final file.

JGZinv wrote:
    If I'm looking at the exe (presumeably in hex) what should I be looking for?
    Since we don't have any hard facts it's kind of an aimless searching. Random Thought - Page 12 Icon_lol

Look for something like:
    'fKIB'
    'gKIB'
    'hKIB'
    'iKIB'
    without quotes; since it's an early version the marker might look a bit different
    from there bink data are stored; dunno about the details of the data.
    If there are visible separation those should have values of 0x00 or 0xFF or you see equally spaced section on the righthand-text-side-display.

Sometimes looking around the end of the exe should give you some clue about program parameters or other designated names used. Anything in plain view.

Other than that well, disassembling the exe would help in other words reverse engineering. Well, reading direct raw binary command code is something only a handful people can do on the fly. Evenso it's not worth it for any complex programs bigger than say 30kbytes.

Another way could be to find out something about the audio file format.
    What's stored, what's possible, possible stream format design etc. You could use recordings to get data that's close to the original and work from there. You probably know if it's 8 or 16 bit audio already. And then write your own reader/player. Modify around until it works...
    lol
    JGZinv
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 681
    Imperial Credits : 12666
    Registration date : 2009-03-17

Post by JGZinv 12/18/2009, 7:25 pm

I think what you want is in these BIN files.
    http://files.fringespace.org/jgz/SBF%20Issue/BINs.rar

However, there was a coder by the title of Devilsclaw who made the apps I included with
    that rar as BIN decrypters. The Translator was supposed to be his newest converter that would translate anything as of 2008. The other two were done in Tach's hey day, but they don't output anything when used on these particular BINs.

Those files have the same names as the SBFs in some cases, but all of them can't seem to be converted. Some text can be read when opened with notepad or hex.

What I've got below, is what else I could find.

Nothing on those you listed, but I did some searching on mp3, and wave.

[/hide]

AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Number of posts : 542
    Imperial Credits : 12484

Post by AlexT 12/19/2009, 3:40 pm

Wow, some serious stufff going on here. I hope you're getting closer...
    Btw, did you try using Gspot on those files? http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

And here's random thought: i was browsing various review sites... and omg, how come there's so many amateurish reviewers? You read some big on-line magazine article about videocard, processor, sound card, hi-fi components or whatever and realize the "expert" reviewing it is complete amateur that think and write like any consumer and do not posses any real knowledge. His conclusion is something like "it works, it's shiny, i recommend it".
    Maybe i'm just used to "non-english" sites, but the difference is often terrific. The people who review things are just users at best, not even advanced. I guess it's the downside of having so many brainless consumers that get money ahead of brains..
    For some reason seeing this makes me angry - it is these idiot "experts" and the brainless consumers that allow bad things to sell in high numbers and good things being rare and costly..
    JGZinv
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Post by JGZinv 12/19/2009, 4:05 pm

Yeah I've noticed the same thing... it didn't use to be that way back when TechTV was around
    and people were informed from a single source.

Tom's Hardware... places that can write up 20 page reviews of motherboards are places I generally go to for reviews. I read a lot of forums and consumer reviews so see what the negatives are before going ahead with anything over about $20.

Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 12/19/2009, 4:58 pm

AlexT wrote:Wow, some serious stufff going on here.
    Ah, don't mind our randomness. Laughing

Hmm, JGZinv?

And here's random thought: i was browsing various review sites... and omg, how come there's so many amateurish reviewers?
    Well, tom's hardware isn't quite trustworthy, I have the impression it tries to promote items.
    Try to read the long reviews like at anandtech.com, even so I'm not billing them unbias or completeness. I use other more specific techincal sites for eg soundcard only or more technical like arstechnica.com.

-------------------------------
    As to the pasted code, we can see
    Declarations and 'copyrights'

the function that are used.
    I'm not surprised to find midi sound functions Laughing
    midiStreamProperty
    mixerGetDevCapsA

acmStream
    _AIL_** these seems to be used more or more important in use
    this has something to do with the wave format

I don't see anything pointing to bink.

I tried the bin2text but I don't see where the extracted file was saved to...
    edit: actually, I don't see any saves from any of them but I see diskspace being reduced.
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT 12/19/2009, 6:13 pm

Anyone had experience with ASIO btw?
    For example i can't think of "less advanced" russian tech site. Most disassemble em, shoot with thermal cameras to determine temperatures, number of phases, voltages (and how far it can go before it fries ), the analysis of chop architecture and where it will perform best and what will be the thin spot etc etc.
    I just notice this attitude "read instruction, do only what manufacturer says" is popular in EU and US more than here.
    Spoiler:
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 12/19/2009, 7:20 pm

AlexT wrote:Anyone had experience with ASIO btw?
    Well, australian spies aren't popular. Random Thought - Page 12 Icon_razz ASIO audio specification, nope, it's been a long time since I heard about Steinberg, I doubt its future because hardware wise audio has reached it's limit long ago. With time audio hardware has becaome simply cheap....

I just notice this attitude "read instruction, do only what manufacturer says" is popular in EU and US more than here.
    Well, we got lawyers over here. Random Thought - Page 12 Icon_lol

Spoiler:
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT 12/19/2009, 8:41 pm

Almael wrote:Well, australian spies aren't popular. Random Thought - Page 12 Icon_razz ASIO audio specification, nope, it's been a long time since I heard about Steinberg, I doubt its future because hardware wise audio has reached it's limit long ago. With time audio hardware has becaome simply cheap....
    No wonder - with such censorship...Speaking of Australia - heard about that huge iceberg coming to it? A "white canoe "...
    ASIO is still used everywhere just fine. Here's what i know about it if you're curious about such things
    Spoiler:
    My card support ASIO in hardware but i'm yet to figure out how to set up some programs that do not have visible ASIO selection properly..Those who do record things at home will likely know.

Well, we got lawyers over here. Random Thought - Page 12 Icon_lol
    Oh, we got em, even Flintstones had em and those lived in stone age too Very Happy
    At least noone is real scared by overclocking anymore and it's no longer considered "warranty void" unless they prove you overheated it.

I should probably post these to story topic but this place is as good as any - a few more ideas/questions about seikai traders:
    Spoiler:
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 12/19/2009, 9:32 pm

AlexT wrote:
    No wonder - with such censorship...Speaking of Australia - heard about that huge iceberg coming to it? A "white canoe "...

LoL, they got one every now and then. No reason for panic, besides that's cheap ice this summer. At leat Copenhagen warrants it. Wink

My card support ASIO in hardware but i'm yet to figure out
    how to set up some programs that do not have visible ASIO selection
    properly..Those who do record things at home will likely know.

Well, I haevn't used Cubase for a long time, and this was certainly not
    used in the past. At least (private) people making games had used
    normal recorders to comp connections via special cards....

I guess nowaday windows interference is too much Laughing
    JGZinv
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Post by JGZinv 12/21/2009, 3:33 am

I tried a utility like that (or it may have been that one actually) back before, and it didn't tell me anything conclusive or accurate enough to solve anything.

I'll try it again tomorrow perhaps, have to drag out the drives again.

JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Post by JGZinv 12/21/2009, 5:21 pm

That Gspot program tells me a grand total of nothing.
    Says the MIME type and file type is unknown. That's it.

AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT 12/22/2009, 9:59 am

Hey Almael, check out these photos if you don't know already about this guy and his planes:
    http://fishki.net/comment.php?id=62707
    Impressive..
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 12/22/2009, 11:14 am

Yep, I heard about him the year before. He makes those as a hobby and for a museum.
    Info
    His models are amazing. All of them work exactly as their real counterparts. As you can see, he can use every 'control' sticks. I dunno if those cannons and munitions work, but it would be quite a sight. Laughing

Toothpick city is another awsome collection of works.

Model building is fun and all, but when things break it hurts! Building aircrafts especially helicopters hurts more on the money, though.

I have been recently surfing for seikai artbooks and found these Art Works.
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT 12/23/2009, 4:10 pm

I used to make many models in childhood though they vere regular plastic ones. Helicopters, jets... I remember having a small collection, all made by myself and was especially proud of helicopters, i had very detailed and painted S-61, S-59 and some other i can't even remember now, but one day at some celebration i think someone decided to show em up close to little kids and my best ones was trashed. I never got to repair em, sadly. I think i wasn't making any after that.
    I also had this railroad, the realistic one many people collect. A father brought first set from Germany. It was very expansive and rare here but i managed to collect more pieces here and there. And i also had a collection of car models with some rare stuff. And always was loosing some to less "delicate" kids Very Happy No wonder i always liked girls more - at least they left my models/cars/railroad alone Very Happy

So, let's talk about toys Random Thought - Page 12 Icon_cheers What was your favorite toys as you were kids ppl? Very Happy

Spoiler:

Today i went to the only IMAX here to get some Avatar tickets just to find out most of the good/ok/so-so seats are sold month ahead Sad There are some seats but i hesitated. But i guess i should go and get what's left - i don't think regular theater will be as good as "bad" seats in IMAX...

Mass Effect 2 production/release confirmed Random Thought - Page 12 Icon_cheers
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 12/27/2009, 8:36 am

Well, I started with Lego at age 5. Although, I don't play with it anymore, it's still useful.
    I was given some advanced but old wood technical kits at the same time, with which you can build technical machines like cranes, trains, or any other mechanics. The only bad thing was that it's big and I didn't have enough parts for big projects. I already gave it away to someone else some years back. I didn't build many plastics: from a panther tank, some aircrafts/heli to a nimitz carrier.
    As a boy I started making paper planes like any other but I was not satisfied so I designed and build by own models (started in 2nd/3rd grade). I build several F14 version all with moveable wings, some helicopters like airwolf, space shuttles, the enterprise-D, F-117, a romulan warbird. Of course all aircrafts were able to fly, but my later sophisticated models could not match the flying ability of my primitve designs. I'm proud of the F117, F14 and the warbird, because my design level was so high I could build them from one single page and with just 5-10 parts. The F117 required only thee parts for the body and two for the tails. Of course these were thanks to my art and math skills. I stopped doing that five years later, thought. I went over to computer programming, 3D, videos whatever. Yeah, blame the computer for me stopping playing those.

AlexT wrote:but one day at some celebration i think someone decided to show em up close to little kids and my best ones was trashed.
    No wonder i always liked girls more - at least they left my models/cars/railroad alone Very Happy
    I can relate to that.
    So, you switched to girls? Random Thought - Page 12 Icon_twisted

So, let's talk about toys Random Thought - Page 12 Icon_cheers What was your favorite toys as you were kids ppl? Very Happy
    I guess it's lego, paper and pencil. Laughing

Spoiler:

Today i went to the only IMAX here to get some Avatar tickets just to find out most of the good/ok/so-so seats are sold month ahead Sad
    Laughing I bet many bought one many moons before. Then some may come again, so the theaters are going to be full for months. That's normal in big cities.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 4205
    Imperial Credits : 17903
    Registration date : 2009-04-10

Post by mitsuki lover 12/30/2009, 2:17 pm

I used to have plastic dinosaur models when I was a kid.The hard part was the gluing.And of course I had a G.I.Joe.I was sneaky and found it where it was supposed to be hidden for my birthday.Bad me!!!! Random Thought - Page 12 Icon_twisted
    JGZinv
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Post by JGZinv 12/30/2009, 5:43 pm

I was Lego and robots... Transformers, go-bots, off brand robots, Robo-Jox, Godzilla. Then into video games.

Lego I never built the junk shown on the box, that'd be too simple. So I'd make a version of what the kit intended and then build new features into it. I had several lego bots and a good size jet with a winch system and working bomb bay doors. All before the kits were really set up for it.

Transformers were what I couldn't do with lego. It didn't help that my uncle gave me almost all of the G1 transformers S1 series on a vhs tape. 12 hours. For the next 4 years I was a TF nut.

Godzilla I don't remember why I got into it, started with the movies.

Video games I started with a SNES, had the choice when I was 3 I think, of going to Six Flags in Wisconsin in the middle of a blizzard, or my Dad would get me a SNES with the Super Mario World bundle for Christmas. We'd looked at it before, and I half think he wanted it too. But all I could see was my mother burying me in outdoor wear and freezing to death along with 2 days of driving in a car. So I took the smart choice and went SNES.... then an original Gameboy the year after...

...and here I am modding games, 20 years later.

AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT 12/30/2009, 6:46 pm

I made it to IMAX to watch Avatar after all Random Thought - Page 12 Icon_cheers Early in the morning tiday...
    It was sure something worth seeing Random Thought - Page 12 Icon_eek Felt such a childish joy during the whole movie. I think it's the first time i really felt like i want to watch something again so i'll definitely get the blue-ray once it's out.
    But i also like the 3D thing - the immersion is great even though there's still some space for improvement, but i consider trying same thing on monitor with 3D glasses Nvidia sells separately - same principle...
    tanis1lionheart
    tanis1lionheart
    Front Flyer
    Front Flyer

Number of posts : 198
    Imperial Credits : 11636
    Registration date : 2009-05-06

Post by tanis1lionheart 1/3/2010, 12:22 am

I haven't had the internet for over 5 days.

BAH!
    JGZinv
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Post by JGZinv 1/3/2010, 1:25 am

I wondered where you vanished to.

tanis1lionheart
    Front Flyer
    Front Flyer

Number of posts : 198
    Imperial Credits : 11636
    Registration date : 2009-05-06

Post by tanis1lionheart 1/3/2010, 2:05 am

Into the darkness of my soul.

Also, wtf is up with teenagers now?

I saw a book called 'Pride & Prejudice & Zombies'.

There was another one (I don't recall the name of it) that was about some 400 year old vampire who was 15 at heart that cut himself because he could heal and goes all emo/scene bull crap.

BLAH
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT 1/3/2010, 6:45 am

But it's better than books about people who bash each other's faces ? Smile Who knows, maybe emo is not such a bad thing - it can counterbalance the society's cult of strength, the contempt for any weakness..

Besides - that book about vampire can have a reverse effect on a teenagers, but as far as i remember - many stories about vampires are like that or have that element...
    But worry not - teenagers are still far from turning into hordes of emo zombies i think Smile
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 1/3/2010, 10:23 am

Well, emo isn't bad at the right time, place and in right amount, unlike movie bias and people trying to emulate that.
    As to vampire and all the 90's-00's newage crap
    1. they are dead and don't have anything to do with the living
    2. if people are too **** and like the dead why not be so? Twisted Evil
    Obviously, they don't, so they are just hypocrates or just people tending to go on bang wagons. Weakminded, backboneless, no commitment, no intent, and no 19th century ruggedness! Twisted Evil
    Oh the good old time when men were men and women were clad. When men wielded guns as they liked, punched when they felt like it, not like some pussy rambo.Twisted Evil

Well, for now eko warriors using gas gazzling flying bikes with flame throwers and modern electronics saving nature are in. Those bloodsuckers are just the other half.
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT 1/3/2010, 10:57 am

1.Actually they do have - they suck the blood out of the living Wink And not every book/movie/game vampires are emo - it's quite opposite from what I've seen..

Why is it everyone so aggressive in the new year? Smile
    As for men with guns - somehow those who were happy about wielding guns and punching and wanted no other life are the first ones who made their way to graveyard - be it wild west or, say, our local mid 90s ruled by bandits.

And i thought you support saving nature thing? Did you recently aquire stocks of oil company? Very Happy
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 1/3/2010, 11:16 am

AlexT wrote:1.Actually they do have - they suck the blood out of the living Wink
    Oh yeah, I forgot to count that and the killings. It's so normal nowaday. Razz

Why is it everyone so aggressive in the new year? Smile
    Maybe because it's the year of war on whatever.

And i thought you support saving nature thing? Did you recently aquire stocks of oil company? Very Happy
    I support saving the world Galaxy not nature. The world will be fine even without creatures like humans so who cares about global warming. The only thing I will miss are the babes, human lifecycle, tech, books, etc.. Twisted Evil

Random Thought - Page 12 Sifi-ryder-short-range-jet-propelled-surveillance-vehicle-concept-02
    for surveiling nature. flies low, delivers hare hams for free LOL

edit:
    Another childish concept
    Random Thought - Page 12 Th_creature-guard-futuristic-car-by-3Random Thought - Page 12 Th_creature-guard-futuristic-car-by-1Random Thought - Page 12 Th_creature-guard-futuristic-car-by-2
    It would be a wonder if it doesn't make a nice blaze.

then again there are nice designs, too
    Random Thought - Page 12 Th_future-vehicle-h-car-concept-05Random Thought - Page 12 Th_future-vehicle-h-car-concept-06Random Thought - Page 12 Th_future-vehicle-h-car-concept-09

Random Thought - Page 12 Th_futurism-honda-fuzo-concept-flyi-3Random Thought - Page 12 Th_futurism-honda-fuzo-concept-flyi-1Random Thought - Page 12 Th_honda-helix-futuristic-car-01Random Thought - Page 12 Th_honda-helix-futuristic-car-02
    transformable ^_^
    Random Thought - Page 12 Th_land-water-or-air-no-stopping-fo-2Random Thought - Page 12 Th_land-water-or-air-no-stopping-fo-1Random Thought - Page 12 Th_land-water-or-air-no-stopping-for-h
    another transformer

Edit:
    or a car like this one or its lesser copies: Random Thought - Page 12 Th_lamborghini_murcielago_lp640_versacRandom Thought - Page 12 Th_Lamborghini_Concept_S_2005

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 5/9/2024, 10:34 am