Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.

Kin of the Stars

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Kin of the Stars

A community for the fans of Crest of the Stars, Abh culture, anime, technology, science fiction, video games, and friendly conduct.

+7
lymhfeubdach
tanis1lionheart
Almael
Schwenkdawg
mitsuki lover
AlexT
JGZinv
11 posters

Random Thought

AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Number of posts : 542
    Imperial Credits : 12506
    Registration date : 2009-03-18

Random Thought - Page 7 Empty Re: Random Thought

Post by AlexT 8/29/2009, 5:56 am

Weapons talk continued Smile
    Spoiler:
    Can somebody explain how western educational system works? I know there's high school, then you go to college, and then...university? How many years you spend in each and at what age you attend each of them? I had to fill some form in english and got confused a bit.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 2849
    Imperial Credits : 19030

Post by Almael 8/29/2009, 9:46 am

weapons:
    Spoiler:

AlexT wrote:
    Can somebody explain how western educational system works? I know
    there's high school, then you go to college, and then...university? How
    many years you spend in each and at what age you attend each of them? I
    had to fill some form in english and got confused a bit.

There are many different school systems in the west.
    Since I don't know which one you need I will draw all the major system.
    The british system is used by its former colonies, japan, and some others.
    In this system there are state and private schools.
    The US system is similar to the british. It's also used by some other countries as a mix with bristish system eg Japan.
    In this system there are state and private schools.
    The french system is used by its former colonies.
    The german system may be used by other german speaking countries in one or other form.
    There are minor age differences in each system so I will just give what's more general.

british US french german japanese
    pre-school/nursery 3-5 | kindergarden 3-5 | maternelle 3-5 | Kindergarten 3-5 |

primary 6-11 | elementary 6-11 | École élémentaire 6-10 | Grundschule 6-9 | elementary 6-11

secondary 11-18 | middle 12-14 | Collège 11-14 | Realschule or | middle 12-14

- | high 15-18 | Lycée 15-18 | Gymnasium 10-19 | high 15-17

college or | college 2 years or | Polytechnique or | Berufschule or | college
    university 4 years | university 4 years | Université 5-6 years | Universität 5-6yrs| university

bad formatting in forums here, just copy and past to some editor.
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT 8/29/2009, 11:23 am

Even more weapons talk Very Happy
    Spoiler:

Almael wrote:There are many different school systems in the west.
    Since I don't know which one you need I will draw all the major system.
    The british system is used by its former colonies, japan, and some others.
    I see. I just had to fill form where i had to select what types of education i received, but since i was educated during old USSR system it confused me a bit. Here's how it worked here:

Spoiler:

I believe we discussed it already somewhere on A.N., but again - Abhs women use cosmetics, right? Eye shadows, lipstick, ink etc? Wanna make sure for current project of mine Very Happy
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 8/29/2009, 3:37 pm

More bean shooters. Laughing
    Spoiler:

Ok, so in western terms you had higher education and then went on to university.
    If there is some note section you should mention that it was done in the old soviet system, just in case so they can't say you lied or so. You should also ask some one who knows the specifics about exchange students or so to be sure.

AlexT wrote:
    I believe we discussed it already somewhere on A.N., but again - Abhs women use cosmetics, right? Eye shadows, lipstick, ink etc? Wanna make sure for current project of mine Very Happy
    Of course, I don't remember if there was ever an era in human history where cosmetics or jewelry don't exist. Maybe not much on duty but for any festive, shouldn't be a problem.
    But then again Abh don't really need to use because of their genetic beauty. Laughing
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 4215
    Imperial Credits : 17935
    Registration date : 2009-04-10

Post by mitsuki lover 9/2/2009, 11:15 am

As far as the British system goes,the terminology can be confusing since they call what we in the U.S. would think of as Private Schools Public Schools.
    Abh women don't seem to be overly vain when it comes to their looks,although Lafiel was ready to shoot Jinto when he made her wear that sundress.So perhaps there's a tiny bit of vanity.
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT 9/2/2009, 12:14 pm

Almael wrote:Hmm, it has the right caliber Random Thought - Page 7 Icon_smile
    But it's too massively made...look at this slimmer one:
    A-91 by KBP (soviet/russian?)
    Yep, but i remember reading somewhere that gun you linked wasn't very good. Actualy Vepr should be lighter - just cuz it looks bigger doesn't mean it's heavy - after all it's shorter, many of it's parts are hollow inside etc. I consider it to be very good weapon and it is mass production ready on top of it.... Tests show great performance of this rifle and it's about as reliable as AK. Makes me proud it's made in our poor "little" country Very Happy While Ukraine do not mass produce weapons much - it's sure on of the biggest development centers for modern weaponry. We have best modifications of T80, newer Ukrainian tanks, one of the best missiles etc. Unfortunately like all the other great stuff like AN-225 and many other planes they remain just experimental models thanks to our goverment.
    Of course, I don't remember if there was ever an era in human history where cosmetics or jewelry don't exist. Maybe not much on duty but for any festive, shouldn't be a problem.
    But then again Abh don't really need to use because of their genetic beauty. Random Thought - Page 7 Icon_lol
    I'm maiking portrait of Abh at the moment - it's gonna be my first "real" attempt to get into portrait stuff. It goes pretty well, but my GF says Abhs should use variations of blue for everything and i think it would be too much since abhs are not that concerned with how they look, still - bright blue lips and blue shadows would look cool on blue haired girls.
    Btw, the color of "non-command" uniform - how much blue in it? Or is it has only a hint of blue and more like light black\gray?

Abh women don't seem to be overly vain when it comes
    to their looks,although Lafiel was ready to shoot Jinto when he made
    her wear that sundress.So perhaps there's a tiny bit of vanity.
    I think it's just standard thing for them - they all like what's beautiful and elegant so they all try to look beautiful and elegant which means: they do constantly use cosmetics to be beautiful but they don't use too much of it to stay elegant Wink
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 9/2/2009, 2:29 pm

Spoiler:

It goes pretty well, but my GF says Abhs should use variations of blue for everything and i think it would be too much since abhs are not that concerned with how they look, still - bright blue lips and blue shadows would look cool on blue haired girls.

I think it's just standard thing for them - they all like what's
    beautiful and elegant so they all try to look beautiful and elegant
    which means: they do constantly use cosmetics to be beautiful but they
    don't use too much of it to stay elegant Wink

Btw, the color of "non-command" uniform - how much blue in it? Or is it has only a hint of blue and more like light black\gray?
    I have to agree with mitsuki, cosmetics isn't one central piece in Abh woman life.
    After all they are decendents of japanese culture, they may value elegance and greatness of any sorts but decency or moderation is also high a valued characteristics. This is mirrored in their practicality in making decisions. But they aren't stingy when spending for something they like.

It seems Abh aren't fixed on any colors, although there seems to be some kind of specific design features reserved or representing certain functions.
    Btw the people on Sugfugnof on the other side seem to have extreme color fashion at the time Jinto&LAfiel got stuck there.
    Jinto was astounded so it was something he didn't expect to be on Abh ruled planet.

It seems official's clothing are dominantly white with lines being of any color. Jinto for example had red or green in military uniform pattern.
    Other civil clothing can be of any sort and design, but nobles man seem to wear something with those wide shoulder triangles. But as we have seen Lafiel's father just wears a normal coat.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 9/4/2009, 5:55 pm

Spoiler:

Yesterday, while in a hurry I accidentally activated a suspicious program which turned out to be a malicious virus. It passed all my scanner programs before, but the raw code view looked just strange. Anyway, while having it in the test folder and trying a quick start of a debug it activated. Well, I chucked the virus off and the computer is safe in protected mode, but I still need to clean the computer, before fully restoring it.
    It seems I lost only user specific profile data. Nothing of importance since I only have unimportant stuff there.
    I wish there is still a DOS. I would have been done in minutes....but I now need more than just backups &emergency disk... I'm going to try the NTFS DOS systems.

Well, anyway, the rest of my network is safe, but this will hinder my computer related activities. So no worries I would infect anything.
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT 9/4/2009, 8:05 pm

[quote="Almael"]
    Spoiler:
    Ah, the tank with engine in frontal part? I remember there was different opinions among my friends - some say it's a c***, but some say it's not as c*** as Abrams and thus it's good Very Happy But i think it's all about ideology. There's a saying that USSR tanks was built so that after it's hit all you need to do is patch it up a bit, clean the guts of previous crew and install a new one Very Happy Soviet way of thinking and that's why we all happy WWIII never happened. Israel resources are different - they don't have that many experienced tank crews so this tank represent their way of thinking perfectly. Just like Abrams represent US way of ...thinking Wink Anyway - Israel is so much ahead of US when it comes to field weapons...

Yesterday, while in a hurry I accidentally activated a suspicious program which turned out to be a malicious virus. It passed all my scanner programs before, but the raw code view looked just strange. Anyway, while having it in the test folder and trying a quick start of a debug it activated. Well, I chucked the virus off and the computer is safe in protected mode, but I still need to clean the computer, before fully restoring it.
    It seems I lost only user specific profile data. Nothing of importance since I only have unimportant stuff there.
    I wish there is still a DOS. I would have been done in minutes....but I now need more than just backups &emergency disk... I'm going to try the NTFS DOS systems.
    Maybe you forgot to update your windows? Smile Strange, but it works for me. Fully updated Vista feels bulletpfoor to most viruses since it runs for more than a year and i never experienced anything bad - i guess when you patch holes in your OS quickly those malware things can't do a serious damage at least.
    Speaking of computers - i'm trying to upgrade my watercooling at the moment.
    Spoiler:
    I also want to buy one of those new ati 58xx serie GFX cards as soon as they come out while i'm still home - finaly something i can diassemble and turn into water cooled version. It's such a boring time when you just can't buy anything better than what you already have Razz
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 9/5/2009, 7:46 am

Spoiler:

AlexT wrote:Maybe you forgot to update your windows? Smile
    It's on autoupdate. Every week there is some update running on my computer. Besides I'm using the best antivirus tools (bitdefender,Kaspersky)there are.
    Anyway, the program was obviously encrypted with some custome encryption, but he used modern programming language. So I saw right away it was not normal looking at the raw binaries.

Spoiler:

[quote="AlexT"]
    I also want to buy one of those new ati 58xx serie GFX cards as soon as they come out
    Are you going to put it on top of the GPU like the CPU or using a pipelike system?
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT 9/5/2009, 6:31 pm

Almael wrote:
    AlexT wrote:
    After i upgraded to Core i7 processor it became clear that my weak passive Reserator cannot keep up with such immense heat. So i ordered new waterblocks, additional radiator...
    Shouldn't it have the same TP as your old processor while being smaller? Or did you overclock it?
    My old CPU was Core 2 Duo E8400 which had TDP 65W, it was badly overclocked 3.0>4.0 and it's TDP then increased to around 110W... Now, CORE i7 - it's base TDP is 130W! Even without overclock it's a nightmare and once overclocked 2.66>3.8 - i know winter won't be cold Razz But you see why my old passive CO is not enough, but as fan of complete silence i must do something to eliminate any noise. I recently spent 60$ per meter just on acoustic cable for my precious speakers and i'm not letting any noise to disturb my music, especialy as i draw or paint. geek

Are you going to put it on top of the GPU like the CPU or using a pipelike system?
    You mean for water? I use silicon hose to get watter to waterblock which is installed on top of GPU replacing original cooling system. I'll upload photos once whole thing is finished.

Btw, Almael - you know about this blog here? http://conceptships.blogspot.com/ As i learn concept art i was advised to visit it often.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 9/6/2009, 8:12 am

AlexT wrote:
    Btw, Almael - you know about this blog here? http://conceptships.blogspot.com/ As i learn concept art i was advised to visit it often.

I think I did once or twice, but since most artist's arts have unnecessary junk on, unworkable in engineering or scientific sense, are fantasy or only ever produced by aliens Laughing , I don't particulary follow this stuff. Of course I still enjoy the nice elegant designs. For inspiration I look at angles many just don't have. Also many are bound by similar certain aspects and not really out of the box thinking, but you only know if you know a lot, done a lot of thinking like me. Simple example: Many tend to employ some mechanics, but from engineering point of view that would introduce lots of complexity, hence, lots of failure.
    Here are some links I remember.
    A normal basic source
    comic profis
    Andrew Probert artist and tech expert
    cg artist
    other misc artists
    other
    misc other
    just a collection
    another collection

Ogame example
    Spoiler:
    girltears

Edit: Example of great designs
    Random Thought - Page 7 Th_bmw-concept
    integrated and functional car design

Random Thought - Page 7 Th_ozone-concept-car
    ideal car: basictly a seat Laughing
    ...ideal tank/rifle :barrel+magazine+a wheel Razz
    ideal aircraft: a wing
    As you see engineers have always been going for the ideal in one or other form. Sometimes math gives ingenous solution to several problems at a time resulting in certain distinct design feature.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 9/7/2009, 11:53 am

Daedalus was ahead of the curve then with areonautics since he basically put together wings using wax.Though he did tell Icarus not to fly to close to the sun.
    I think Israel will always be ahead when it comes to military weapons because they always seem to have a chance to test them out in real life,unfortunately.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 9/7/2009, 9:18 pm

Good insert.
    I always wondered why a genious guy like Deadalus would use wax instead of tar, which has been commonly used in most civilizations that developed beyond village stage.
    Then again we know the greeks are unrelyable and their works more often then not copies of others in one or other form. So the story was probably made up philosophycali based on some indian story, in which it was about people with natural wings. It's obvious this imaginative people are closer to ancient people's world views.

Well, Israel has barely any other customers. All the students get their first job in some military project. That's were most of the important internet/program patents originated btw. including all the famous social/economic analysis programs, which were originally made to hunt down enemy networks. They mostly lead in military and spy tech....
    Their secrecy censorship seem to work effectivly from what I see on the net...or the absence of which or the corrupted data of which.
    lymhfeubdach
    lymhfeubdach
    Rear Flyer
    Rear Flyer

Number of posts : 116
    Imperial Credits : 11521
    Registration date : 2009-03-24

Post by lymhfeubdach 9/8/2009, 3:04 am

I just need go bed early, because keep forgetting stuff and today lost basket full of pencils and I"am just going crazy looking for it. For some odd reason left over by housewares. Lucky, one my sweet co-workers find out and just like need get more sleep. Good night all.
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT 9/8/2009, 6:41 am

Almael wrote:
    I think I did once or twice, but since most artist's arts have unnecessary junk on, unworkable in engineering or scientific sense, are fantasy or only ever produced by aliens Random Thought - Page 7 Icon_lol , I don't particulary follow this stuff. Of course I still enjoy the nice elegant designs. For inspiration I look at angles many just don't have. Also many are bound by similar certain aspects and not really out of the box thinking, but you only know if you know a lot, done a lot of thinking like me. Simple example: Many tend to employ some mechanics, but from engineering point of view that would introduce lots of complexity, hence, lots of failure.

Hmm, what you mean by "junk on"? If you mean it's not "clean"...well, it's concept art -not illustration or matte painting. People paint it with 2 things in mind - the looks and atmosphere. All the "junk" is there to help to create it or add illusion of details which help immagination. Immersion - it's what it's all about.
    It can be made into clean pic but would require a lot more of work hours and simply not worth it - you already get the idea at certain stage of pic.
    As for mechanical aspect...what do you expect then? If they won't experiment, looking for new shapes, ideas, designs then all the stuff would look the same. The goal is to experiment with forms and designs which later can be used to create something much more realistic and thought out maybe.
    But in the end - it's all about looking cool, creating unique atmosphere (object/enviroument) and boosting imagination - to see how specific design would fit or represent certain enviroument...

I checked links you posted. Some artist there have nice ideas but art level is pretty bad. The rest is what i know very well. Smile

Speaking of art - while Abh portrait i'm working at is pretty hard for me for i have to learn tons of little aspects (how to detail-paint eyes, hair, clothes) i decided to try something easier in between - a Seikai ship i haven't drawn yet Random Thought - Page 7 Icon_smile But again - anime add a lot of confusion by providing conflicting references..Anyway - it's 50% done so i'll post it soon.

Last edited by AlexT on 9/9/2009, 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
    tanis1lionheart
    tanis1lionheart
    Front Flyer
    Front Flyer

Number of posts : 198
    Imperial Credits : 11658
    Registration date : 2009-05-06

Post by tanis1lionheart 9/8/2009, 7:34 am

This group isn't as active as I thought it was going to be.

Shame really, does anyone know of any Seikai groups?
    Maybe we could somehow combine other sites with this one...

Smile
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 9/8/2009, 3:43 pm

Well, there are some, but many are just spread all over the globe and in different languages.
    It's diffucult to direct everyone together.
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT 9/12/2009, 6:42 pm

tanis1lionheart wrote:This group isn't as active as I thought it was going to be.

Smile
    But it's very dedicated at least. But i guess it's also result of Seikai nature: we either know some things for sure and there's not much we can discuss/speculate or things we have no idea about cuz there's no mention or hint. I think it's usualy a sign of good storytelling they say, but it sure doesn't help to make crowded forums. Anyway - why don't you post something to change things? May be a good start...
    Somehow end of the summer always get complicated. My father had health accident a few days back while he was away. Thankfully It appeared to be not as serious as we feared or maybe we just made it in time - we had to travel 60 km to get him and then send to hospital. He had temporary blood pressure problem...
    As if it wasn't enough i myself have a nasty fever for 5 days now and it just won't go away. I rarely get sick and even if so - 2 days is usualy enough to get better so i guess i should get myself checked this time. Problem is - now i have to deal with a lot more things in company, there's no time. 37.3C (100F) is not that much of a temperature to affect my efficiency, but it sure drive me mad by making things "bleak".

I always believed in as they say - "we are what we eat". Lately i didn't pay much attention to what i was eating and it sure made me weaker. Too much shaurma* ("doner kebab" or whatever it's called correctly in english). Although i mostly had sirian version (less fat and bread is different) it's still not very healthy food. Time to punish myself with rice and tea. Btw, why don't we make topic about food somewhere? Random Thought - Page 7 Icon_biggrin
    tanis1lionheart
    tanis1lionheart
    Front Flyer
    Front Flyer

Number of posts : 198
    Imperial Credits : 11658
    Registration date : 2009-05-06

Post by tanis1lionheart 9/12/2009, 9:58 pm

AlexT wrote:
    tanis1lionheart wrote:This group isn't as active as I thought it was going to be.
    Smile
    But it's very dedicated at least. But i guess it's also result of Seikai nature: we either know some things for sure and there's not much we can discuss/speculate or things we have no idea about cuz there's no mention or hint. I think it's usualy a sign of good storytelling they say, but it sure doesn't help to make crowded forums. Anyway - why don't you post something to change things? May be a good start...
    Heh, true.
    I was thinking more about general topics.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 9/13/2009, 3:14 pm

AlexT wrote:
    Hmm, what you mean by "junk on"?
    I meant for example all the pipes and such extra stuff. Or Why would a simple rocketlauncher need all the extra heavy bulky layers of junk when all it needs is a tube, a trigger, a sight, and battery?

AlexT wrote:
    As for mechanical aspect...what do you expect then? If they won't experiment, looking for new shapes, ideas, designs then all the stuff would look the same. The goal is to experiment with forms and designs which later can be used to create something much more realistic and thought out maybe.
    I meant the ones that serve no needed functions or are extra junk.
    Clean and functionaal not only saves wokr but also shows understanding.

But in the end - it's all about looking cool, creating unique atmosphere (object/enviroument) and boosting imagination - to see how specific design would fit or represent certain enviroument...
    nothing cool about junk. Random Thought - Page 7 Icon_razz Leave those for sketches to show thoughts but the finals should be something.

Speaking of art - while Abh portrait i'm working at is pretty hard for me for i have to learn tons of little aspects (how to detail-paint eyes, hair, clothes) i decided to try something easier in between - a Seikai ship i haven't drawn yet Random Thought - Page 7 Icon_smile But again - anime add a lot of confusion by providing conflicting references..Anyway - it's 50% done so i'll post it soon.
    Well, they don't care to make too real. Random Thought - Page 7 Icon_lol it's a **** to turn them into decent 3D designs.
    Alright.
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT 9/14/2009, 10:37 am

Oh, i see, sorry - the artistic aspect is always first to come into my mind Wink Otherwise i agree. That junk serve artistic purposes and main of them is distraction. Average human eye (brain actualy) capacity to detect errors is limited when it has to deal with a lot of details thats why simple and familiar stuff is always hardest to draw.

Btw, looks like i need your help once again Wink
    Spoiler:
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 9/14/2009, 2:33 pm

A food topic would be fun...as long as you hide Menchi!!!
    Y'know that dog is sensitive when food is the topic.(Ok you need to see Excel Saga to know what I'm talking about.)
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 9/14/2009, 3:17 pm

AlexT wrote:Oh, i see, sorry - the artistic aspect is always first to come into my mind Wink Otherwise i agree.
    I never use such methods, I rather use that time for better design thoughts or other nice drawings. If ever I use optical fixes for bad 3D aspects. Random Thought - Page 7 Icon_lol

Spoiler:

mitsuki lover wrote:
    A food topic would be fun...as long as you hide Menchi!!!
    Ugh, not menchi!
    I only watch comedy channel for the (infamous Random Thought - Page 7 Icon_lol ) daily show or the cobert report.
    When's he going to space again?
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT 9/14/2009, 4:46 pm

Spoiler:

Food topic is nice idea - everyone can desctibe things they had chance to eat and how they eat it (except obvious everyday stuff) so that others can at least be warned before trying something exotic Smile
    Also tanis1lionheart posts made me think about some sort of "favorite poetry/lyrics" topic, but more complex than just place where people post tons stuff. Something like old "way you feel about life" topic at A.N. but you have to post song or poetry that could describe your current mood atm maybe. It's not like we're in any danger of spam here anyway ;P

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 5/20/2024, 6:08 am