Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.

Kin of the Stars

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Kin of the Stars

A community for the fans of Crest of the Stars, Abh culture, anime, technology, science fiction, video games, and friendly conduct.

+7
lymhfeubdach
tanis1lionheart
Almael
Schwenkdawg
mitsuki lover
AlexT
JGZinv
11 posters

Random Thought

AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Number of posts : 542
    Imperial Credits : 12506
    Registration date : 2009-03-18

Random Thought - Page 13 Empty Re: Random Thought

Post by AlexT 1/3/2010, 1:18 pm

Cool...but expensive. I realized one thing - we will never see stuff like this until...both the manufacturing and the design are done by computers. Humans are just not efficient enough. The design of a car like that cost millions cuz a group of guys with huge salaries will work like year on it. That's why i believe in computers - i believe soon there will be programms and processing powers enough for complete ultra efficient engineering all done by computer programm. All you'll have to do is imput initial desires like "fuel economy, sports looks, design type (cab forward/classic/etc) and choose among few end results.
    The programm will have a huge database of all parts, be it mechanical, electrical, computer chips or materials so it will be able to calculate precise cost of manufacturing as well... It will be so, no second thoughts, only matter of time.

Now, what worries me...what will all the people do? Such a production can be owned and operated by 1 man so either he or those who make programms like that will be super-rich?
    I also suspect the programm like that will be made by another programm (like Matrix Architect) which will be actualy a powerfull AI (even though not necessery true AI, just a huge database and physical modeling engine)... Imagine all this is real - we'll have to re-think our economy..

Well, just a flow of thoughts i hade for a long time Smile
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 2849
    Imperial Credits : 19030

Post by Almael 1/3/2010, 1:42 pm

AlexT wrote:The design of a car like that cost millions cuz a group of guys with huge salaries will work like year on it.
    The salaries are not the costly part, it's the cost for testing and producing parts and electric bill for super computers.

All you'll have to do is imput initial desires like "fuel economy, sports looks, design type (cab forward/classic/etc) and choose among few end results.
    You mean genetic programs etc like Naro? Well, it's all about physics and definitions of techs and lots of time to do the calculations. Right now that's a long way to go...

Now, what worries me...what will all the people do? Such a production can be owned and operated by 1 man so either he or those who make programms like that will be super-rich?
    Nope, they still need to pay for production, and competition will still exist so it's all relative.

I also suspect the programm like that will be made by another programm (like Matrix Architect) which will be actualy a powerfull AI (even though not necessery true AI, just a huge database and physical modeling engine)... Imagine all this is real - we'll have to re-think our economy..
    Bingo! (see compiler building, genetic programming)
    Self awareness -> Skynet

Well, just a flow of thoughts i hade for a long time Smile
    Keep them coming!
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT 1/3/2010, 7:39 pm

U sure know more about these things, i have no idea how far are we, but somehow i feel like it's the area we (makind) need to focus on - we already mastered whatever human hands/brain can do and it will take ages to realy advance further with what we have. To build better, more efficient world we need to process and coordinate huge amouns of information to consider every factor and not just those immediate ones.It's not necessery SkyNet - we need calculations and modeling and not computer global goverment - the real people will make decisions based on machine's calculations. Provided there's more than 1 such machine so that other one can check if calculations are correct and if some humans are not manipulating it Wink
    A funny thing - not only Skynet comes to mind. I just realized if there's a programm capable of advanced engineering we can send it as some robot to moon/mars so that it builds itself an army of other robots and start building stuff for humans - fully automated mining or ship building... the Terraformers aka Xenon from X3 Random Thought - Page 13 Icon_cheers

As for processing power - it grows very quickly these days especialy in relatively new field of GPU (videocard) processing - it seems those GPUs are realy good for processing huge amounts of information (which is exactly what we need for physics/genetic/molecular/whatever modeling) leaving CPUs in charge of more complex mathematical operations - a perfect union of raw calculation power and smart and still very fast processors...
    If there are computers capable of modeling nuclear blast and stuff - designing a car is not harder. I'm sure i read about it somewhere - such programms are already being developed and they don't even need supercomputer - the task is no harder than rendering a good movie like Avatar...
    tanis1lionheart
    tanis1lionheart
    Front Flyer
    Front Flyer

Number of posts : 198
    Imperial Credits : 11658
    Registration date : 2009-05-06

Post by tanis1lionheart 1/3/2010, 7:58 pm

I don't think you should worry about all that stuff.

Humanity will nuke itself out of civilizations, and most likely existence, long before 'Skynet' has a chance.

Very Happy
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 1/4/2010, 8:33 am

Well, we are close to reaching the limit of our thinking capacity, but we can still make some progress in math. Physic is pretty much stalled...we may rediscover something or create a new understanding. Anyway, there is still lots left to discover, optimize and refine in the world of building, composing things.

AlexT wrote:- we need calculations and modeling and not computer global goverment - the real people will make decisions based on machine's calculations. Provided there's more than 1 such machine so that other one can check if calculations are correct and if some humans are not manipulating it Wink
    That's like the MAGI computers in NGE. Wink Humans build them so there is always a chance it will be manipulated.

A funny thing - not only Skynet comes to mind. I just realized if there's a programm capable of advanced engineering we can send it as some robot to moon/mars so that it builds itself an army of other robots and start building stuff for humans - fully automated mining or ship building... the Terraformers aka Xenon from X3 Random Thought - Page 13 Icon_cheers
    Bingo! Very Happy "robots" are likely to be the first interstellar representatives until we got faster than light drives. Like the automatted factories in macross; nanites terraforming in Nadesico/Star Trek, several scifi movies....
    Actually, we have been working on intelligent material since ever I can remember, around the 90's; as well as self composing nano technology.

As for processing power - it grows very quickly these days especialy in relatively new field of GPU (videocard) processing - it seems those GPUs are realy good for processing huge amounts of information (which is exactly what we need for physics/genetic/molecular/whatever modeling)
    Well, their calculation units and bit width is small=simple so they are not up to scientific standard yet. The next precision step would be 512 bit but current processor have 256 bit at max. Hence, the true super processors are NEC's SX-9+ or IBM's Power-series etc.

I'm sure i read about it somewhere - such programms are already being developed and they don't even need supercomputer - the task is no harder than rendering a good movie like Avatar...
    Yes, it's a math problem, but at a level where there is only a minor number of people can do.
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT 1/4/2010, 11:20 am

tanis1lionheart wrote:I don't think you should worry about all that stuff.
    Humanity will nuke itself out of civilizations, and most likely existence, long before 'Skynet' has a chance.
    Very Happy
    Do not underestimate humans - we're so bad because of our creative potential - all the evil stuff comes from the same energy the good stuff comes too. Meaning - there's at very least the same amount of good things happening Smile
    As for wars and nukes - the less of the old style people out there the less likely it is to happen - we need to get rid of all those sad, depressive, old thinking types holding on their stereotypes, ideology... Those who just can't set their minds to think like everything is relative and nothing is constant - they want constant things, something other to hold into but themselves. Very Happy
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 1/4/2010, 12:53 pm

Because mankind is so largely dominated by normal people it must be ruled! *WHAHAHAHA*

So you see, whereever you look it all turns to the same circle of 'hell'.
    The ideal state is rare or simple: there is only one path, hence, easy to miss.

Although, the thoughts for something constant and stable lead to stagnation, they stem from the wish for selfish peace. It's not much but that's the only relyable source for hope. Then to a lesser inprobable extend there is love. Imho it's no coincidence that the relationships between love and hate, and good and evil are pretty much the same. u_u

This means, as we are now there is no way all the fun can be exterminated. Twisted Evil Therefore, becoming a hero is no dream but reality! The same goes for villains, thought, but it's better being a hero because you can do anything and still be praised. *BWHAHAhaha**EBIL grin*
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 4215
    Imperial Credits : 17935
    Registration date : 2009-04-10

Post by mitsuki lover 1/4/2010, 3:13 pm

Random Thought - Page 13 Icon_santa I'm more worried about mundane things myself.#3 on my list of New Year's Resolutions is learning Japanese.I already have a good start with Kana(got a copy of Manga University's Kana de Manga),what I need is something similiar for Kanji and vocab.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 1/4/2010, 4:30 pm

Hmm, well, there isn't really a perfect kanji book. In any case, you must practice a lot with and recognizing and writing to get it down. It's tedious but the best way to memorize. Some people make a list of word sthat have a specific kanji and try to learn to recognize the words & the kanji. As a beginner you should start making lists according to your own learning technique. I still have trouble to identify them all exactly, but I do think I know them. Laughing

these books
    New Japanese-English Character Dictionary ISBN:0844284343
    Essential Kanji by P.G. O'Neill
    JGZinv
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 681
    Imperial Credits : 12688
    Registration date : 2009-03-17

Post by JGZinv 1/4/2010, 6:28 pm

Anyone still in school with an .EDU email ?

I'd like to try and get a Windows 7 discount through you.

Paul
    2nd class crewman
    2nd class crewman

Number of posts : 16
    Imperial Credits : 10645
    Registration date : 2010-01-03

Post by Paul 1/5/2010, 10:41 am

Last edited by Paul on 1/6/2010, 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total
    JGZinv
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Post by JGZinv 1/5/2010, 5:22 pm

Well what I'm looking at is here: http://www.microsoft.com/student/discounts/theultimatesteal-us/default.aspx

The Windows 7 Professional for $30.00 - which clicking will provide you with an "enter your email"
    page.

Basically I need 1 copy, and can pay by Paypal, Google Checkout, etc.

Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 1/6/2010, 3:08 pm

Well, I should have serval edu addresses but since they reset each semester I never used them or set them even up. *ducks*

Anyway, Microsoft is not selling the all in oe for families anymore, maybe there is also some change to the student version *shrug* I wouldn't wonder since everyon now wants to sell partials.

So, Ady Gil (formerly Earthrace) finally sunk! Imho no wonder, I'm actually surprised it was seaworthy. Laughing Small list of good weather ship problem.
    Google calls its new phone a superphone! <_<
    JGZinv
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Post by JGZinv 1/6/2010, 3:30 pm

Well there's no real difference to me, I just want to try and get 7 cheaply reather than be stuck with Vista on the laptop I brought in.

AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT 1/10/2010, 9:30 am

Was you Vista pre-installed? It's s hame they don't offer any "upgrade..."
    I heard some places offer it for free Very Happy

Btw, i wanted to try installing Mac os X on my PC as second system - after all it's the OS which has most really useful software available for it after win (photoshop, games etc.) but after reading many in-depth reviews i realized macosx is far from being as nice and rock-stable as some fans claim it to be -there's many problems... So i realized i'm fine with rock-stable win7 which run everything. Very Happy

I was also surprised there's no Photoshop CS4 version for Mac but then i read why it happened -when
    Adobe was about to release 64 bit version Apple decided to change
    it's plans for OS core and so the 64 bit mac version could not work so
    Adobe abandoned 64 bit support for macs and said that if they do
    something like this again - they'll stop making products for mac.
    This is a good illustration of what comes with closed platform ruled by bunch of money hungry guys. Linux FTW Random Thought - Page 13 Icon_cheers

Anyway, let's talk about Apple Very Happy
    Spoiler:

Last edited by AlexT on 1/10/2010, 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 1/10/2010, 10:16 am

MS wanted to get money for non-sold vista, and introduce high price tags for little more....that's the future of software.

Spoiler:

How's winter over your place? It's freezing over here, although, it's still warmer than in the past. I guess this will be normal since we got more warm air coming up north to be cooled and come back (see geography/physics 101).

I think I'm going to get myself an external 1TB or 2TB, although, I think 4 would be better. Laughing They are now affordable and it's a bit safer to keep data there.
    JGZinv
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Post by JGZinv 1/10/2010, 10:20 am

I got at least 4 inches outside of snow.. it's butt cold inside, colder outside.
    Look up louisville, ky...

I'd like to get about 3 TB internal, which I'd eventually move to a nas, but I missed a deal on 1.5 TB WD drives before Christmas.

Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 1/10/2010, 1:47 pm

About same here, when I was a pre-schooler the snow was at least half a yard high and stacked up to a full yard or more.

Well, it's way past time when I had enough internal connections...I have two old drives lying around. I was thinking of building an external hub for them, but even an empty one was pricy.
    Anyway, I'm eyeing the WD 2TB My Book at fry's and also found the world edition II.
    I'm not quite sure about the technical details. Maybe I'm wrong but the ads seems to suggest the WEII has double drives for backup purposes...
    JGZinv
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Post by JGZinv 1/10/2010, 2:51 pm

Buy a dock... like an esata compatible one.. about $15... then just get internal drives
    if you're not abusing them like toting them around with a laptop.

It'd be a lot cheaper than what you're looking at there.

Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 1/10/2010, 7:28 pm

Well, the cheap ones are only for two drives and are quite big, while the more usefull ones are expansive :/ Need to keep hunting at newegg. -_-

Summer of Innovation; seem like NASA works hard in the education sector these days.
    Recently they recruited the students to count the moon craters. (cheap slaves)

The french government now plans to tax online companies. Heh, it may not be long until they tax everything as I predicted years ago. :/

Aside from normal news from Iran it seems they have run more and more military hitech announcements. Well, most of them look like they do something other than the fakes and reused (same) among chinese and russian posters. Anyway, it seems the stealth ship I posted for you (AlexT) is a chinese one. They actually have a real patrol boat version for prototyping. While checking it out it seems there is also lots of talks about stealth carriers.
    JGZinv
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Post by JGZinv 1/10/2010, 8:07 pm

If the people allow it to be taxed... it will be taxed eventually.

Very simple principle that is perfectly accurate.

AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT 1/10/2010, 8:17 pm

What exactly they gonna tax - does it include someone selling something on eBay or just internet commerce like small store/services sites?
    Also a question - how's the situation with torrents in US? They say ISPs start to block you or put some snifer on your port or anything else? What about other parts of the world?
    Almael: It's is hard for me to believe those boats can be real stealthy. More like "it won't hurt if they'll have lower signature".
    Spoiler:
    Unfortunately lately all the "fun" is moving closer to us and i think these elections we'll have very soon is possibly one of the events in a chain...
    And i have a feeling that you'll have some new stuff to watch on CNN and analyze before even 2012...If not - we'll have a pretty good decade after all...
    But just in case i once again i feel like maybe i should go live somewhere else? Smile Like Japan Random Thought - Page 13 Icon_cheers Unfortunately language would be a problem ...

Last edited by AlexT on 1/11/2010, 8:42 am; edited 1 time in total
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 1/11/2010, 8:41 am

Well, it seems they want to tax everything no matter where they are located.

Spoiler:

Well, I haven't heard much on your candidates, I only saw around the lands... Russia still makes some problem with the supply of gas but since europe has made some treaties their treats doesn't have much effect except for your country, though.
    Last time russia announced wanting to hit a dangerous asteroid. I hope it won't backfire and hit us.
    Laughing
    There is no safe place down on this planet, we need starships! Very Happy
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 4215
    Imperial Credits : 17935
    Registration date : 2009-04-10

Post by mitsuki lover 1/11/2010, 3:16 pm

I think that ironically it might he colder in Florida than up here right now.Currently we're about 40 degrees above.I read where they had flurries around Orlando.Maybe the axis titled and now all the warm spots are gonna be cold and all the cold spots are gonna be tropically warm!Yeah...summer in the baskness and warmth of the Arctic Air!!!!
    As far as what's happening to the economy...I can't see how anyone can be so stupid as to think spending all that money isn't going to end up doing anything but put the U.S.further in debt and raise the deficit higher.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 1/11/2010, 3:34 pm

Laughing Want to spend next summer in Anartica? Random Thought - Page 13 Lol

Also a question - how's the situation with torrents in US? They say
    ISPs start to block you or put some snifer on your port or anything
    else? What about other parts of the world?
    Well, as far as i know that's not put in law yet anywhere. The law in question is being discussed by every nation with british leading it. If one agrees everyone will follow but not yet. Also they have come to their senses and don't catch every joe but the seeders/providers.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 5/20/2024, 5:44 am