Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.

Kin of the Stars

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Kin of the Stars

A community for the fans of Crest of the Stars, Abh culture, anime, technology, science fiction, video games, and friendly conduct.

+4
mitsuki lover
Verethragna
AlexT
Cloudji
8 posters

Random Thought

spoor356
    spoor356
    Front Flyer
    Front Flyer

Number of posts : 215
    Imperial Credits : 12543
    Registration date : 2009-04-19

Random Thought - Page 30 Empty Re: Random Thought

Post by spoor356 10/3/2016, 2:09 pm

Now if there was only one in Spanish.

My power outage was a bit more severe than that. I was lucky nothing else caught fire. Repair took over 12 hours.

Anyway, there's a game called Stellaris, which is pretty awesome space Paradox game. I need to program a pregenerated naming list so that way I can play as the Abh empire in that game without the irritating inability to rename leaders. Luckily you can name ships, stations, stars, and planets at will.

*Note: If you pick up or download the game, I recommend if you wish to play as the Abh, use Wormhole stations as your FTL choice, but . . . that is extremely difficult to do.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 2849
    Imperial Credits : 19022
    Registration date : 2009-03-18

Post by Almael 10/5/2016, 10:46 am

I got one severe outage years ago, too. Lost only a very old computer that's already been damaged. So I tried salvaging my laptop hard drive but it turn out dead. Evil or Very Mad
    So I lost 3 drives in under two years. One Seagate died before warranty ran out. Seagate's the worse anyway but this was worse than I expected. One Sony was just over two years old so this was also worse then expected. And lastly a Hitachi that's nearly ten years old. The best brand but still died early (for its quality), too. I was down to my last resort. Trying to use an old damaged windows installation. As it turned out the install disc(s) repaired it but it's still damaged and unusable. So I'm stuck with this new thing that could die any time. I know it will.

Stellaris is like Galactic Civilization 2 in terms of game play. And it has some player handicaps like Endless Space. Most severe are the energy or approval handicaps but no real problem here. It features one super alien fiend like in Imperium Galactica. I still think these games are less difficult than games in the past.

I stumbled across Starship Corporation
    http://www.starshipcorporation.com/game/project/
    for testing
    http://www.indiedb.com/games/starship-corporation/downloads
    for buying
    http://steamcommunity.com/games/starshipcorporation/announcements/
    It's said to be revolutionary but it's all the same old formula of designing by fitting things into a limited space or capped amount of something e.g. weight or volume. The only difference is you are trying to lessen as much gaps as possible. Other games fit everything with no kind of gaps.
    So this puzzle game is more difficult. It also offers test running the ships a la Star Trek Ship Creator I & II.

It will take longer before someone creates a game with open starship R&D development like the good old Warring Space game.

Fractured Space looks like the could-be "Nexus the Jupiter Incident 2" years ago... with better building. Hmm...
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 4213
    Imperial Credits : 17925
    Registration date : 2009-04-10

Post by mitsuki lover 10/5/2016, 1:33 pm

When we were living in the country and because we were something like 13 or so miles out of town,when the power went off it sometimes took up to a week or even two before the PUD would come around to fix it.
    Mostly it would be a tree down across the powerline but sometimes a squirrel or bird would get
    fried.
    Then again in Winter a lot of time the snow or ice would literally drag the line down and they would have to clear it off.

Watched a few minutes of the VP debate yesterday night. Even the usual suspects on the Left
    were saying Pence won because of the way he acted mature and calm while Kaine acted rude.
    So no matter what happens now it looks like if Pence decided to run for President in 2020 he
    now has the upper hand for the GOP nomination.
    spoor356
    spoor356
    Front Flyer
    Front Flyer

Post by spoor356 10/5/2016, 3:40 pm

That's horrible :C that borders on what it is here in parts of Texas, but on any note, I am glad to have a functioning place.

Aside:
    Mitsuki, you use the seikai wiki-shout at all or want to contribute? Just a curious question

Random Notes:
    I have taken an unhappy long break from World of Warships. I want to continue my grind but blasted grad school has gotten in the way.

Had a rather angering match of Hearts of Iron 4. I was playing as France, partner as Poland. One of our friends trolled everyone and well, played and became Fascist Yugoslavia and joined the Axis. Then they forced Germany to invade the Low Countries 2 years early and I got crushed. I was not happy since I had successfully conquered Spain who unexpectedly joined and was about to turn those armies around to help against Italy. Really, I am still upset.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 10/7/2016, 6:05 pm

Well I don't know how much I could contribute to it right now.

On a more serious note: I had my colonoscopy today but had to have two enemas first because my colon wasn't totally cleared out, also they found some pre-cancer polyps and so I will have to go back for another round in 6 months to a year.
    spoor356
    spoor356
    Front Flyer
    Front Flyer

Post by spoor356 10/7/2016, 7:16 pm

Jesus christ, that's horrible O_O
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 10/7/2016, 10:20 pm

That's a bit shocking. And why in six months? Isn't that a bit long?
    You should really take care to avoid having two enemas.

Edit:
    http://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2016/10/07/Report-US-Pacific-Command-chief-tells-troops-to-be-ready-to-fight-tonight/3231475866008/
    Just because CINCPAC said to be ready the press had to make a fuzz...

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2016/10/05/japans-hyper-realistic-cg-schoolgirl-moves-for-the-first-time-in-new-video%E3%80%90video%E3%80%91/
    Still some ways to go before movies can be done in real time.

Mavic Pro

Now this is a nice drone I wanna.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 10/10/2016, 11:50 am

Interesting news today about US bank warning of recession later next year. This warning is exactly one day old. Seems to direct at a Hillary election effect. Interestingly, something this important is only found among US media. Nobody cares about this would-be world changing recession. Another example of social engineering, election manipulation or Putin's influence? Conspiracy! Laughing

Anyway, hurricane Mathews is gone and things weren't so bad. At least my folks had not trouble. Phew.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 10/10/2016, 1:49 pm

Heck....I misunderstood what was being said at the time, they were going to check to see if it was
    pre-cancerous...sorry...but from what people have been telling me it's no big deal to have polyps
    in your colon. Very common. I simply heard polyps and pre-cancer. I was still out of if at the time
    so kind of ran the two together in my mind.
    I won't know the result until they mail in the biopsy results.
    So again sorry for all the unnecessary worry.
    I guess it's not uncommon in a situation like that to add two and two together and get forty! Laughing

On another subject: my sister from Alaska was talking about Netflix has being an alternative to
    cable. It looks promising.
    spoor356
    spoor356
    Front Flyer
    Front Flyer

Post by spoor356 10/10/2016, 4:29 pm

I use YouTube as an alternative to cable, but I may abandon that due to YouTube Red. Though I am glad to hear that right now, it most likely is not serious, but we will still wait. In any case, I have finished writing more stuff of the wiki. The spectacular insanity twins are done. I may add a segment that explains they are mad in the manner that "Mad" Anthony Wayne or James Wolfe were mad. that would be interesting.

On that note, anyone know any decent mad generals or admirals. We'll exclude LeMay for now to sort of avoid people who really, really were . . . to put it politely, unenlightened.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 10/11/2016, 11:05 am

Netflix is more about established shows and movies or in other words somewhat old stuff. It's offering is huge.
    I have been happy with Hulu which is more about recent or airing shows. It's offering is not as large.

Like in every field the majority of (people) military leaders in the past or present aren't perfect. As for mad leaning on the unenlightened they are undoubtedly numerous. I dunno where to begin. Just take the crusader leaders before and after Richard Lionheard's appearance. It's easier counting those who won or were lucky. The case of Battle of Cajamarca. Or Yoshitsune's attack down the cliff.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minamoto_no_Yoshitsune
    Holland McTyeire "Howlin' Mad" Smith <= wonder why

spoor356
    spoor356
    Front Flyer
    Front Flyer

Post by spoor356 10/11/2016, 11:52 am

Figured we'd have a handful of examples from folks who have studied it more than me.

The ones that most easily come to mind for me are "Mad" Anthony Wayne, and "Stonewall" Jackson.

Anyway more stuff to deal with in class and work in the meantime. Sorry I don't provide many specifics, nothing jumps to mind. Rather talk about this other stuff.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 10/12/2016, 6:12 pm

Everyone thought Robert E. Lee was a bit mad as well because of his instance of entrenching all the time. It earned him the nickname of "King of Spades".

Though I think all great commanders have a bit of insanity in them, I've been reading about Hannibal and both he and Scipio had a mad streak about them.

Actually I've been pondering when it comes down to it whether or not it would be the best thing to simply instead of getting into a streaming service like Netflix or Hulu, to watch whatever I want on
    DVD. I mean that's what I'm doing now with all my anime.

But right now it's all hypothetical.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 10/12/2016, 10:59 pm

Got to discern between insanity of genius going against common thinking or insanity of stupidity. IMHO the way how things are fought in those centuries are more stupid with disregard to human lives.

Well, streaming services is best when you are not going to watch things often. Cost wise they are about the same after about 10+ times. In the long run your favorite shows are cheaper when you own them.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/10/snail-mail-voting-is-one-way-to-defeat-election-hacks-senator-says/
    That's even worse!

http://thehackernews.com/2016/10/nsa-crack-encryption.html
    Just showing the obvious...

http://www.nextbigfuture.com/2016/10/beyond-exaflop-supercomputers-will.html
    Once again a reminder. This site is faking news and facts. It always has for over a decade. It never provided any sources. Obviously, people are still keeping it alive...
    spoor356
    spoor356
    Front Flyer
    Front Flyer

Post by spoor356 10/13/2016, 12:05 pm

I am having a hard time finding material on mad or insane generals or officers.

I did find a good one for General James Wolfe. He was accused of being mad, which King George II retorted to this report. "Mad, then I hope he bites some of my generals."

I noticed I have not made many comparisons to real history in my newest edits, and I wish to change that, but I probably leave everything as it is. I am currently writing more stuff for our community history. I think I will have fun and edit user pages for a little while. Any suggestions?
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 10/13/2016, 1:28 pm

I doubt you will find many contemporary writings saying any of their "leaders" is mad. (unless they are hated; get outcast by their peers) You gotta analyze lots of things yourself.

Tenchiforum is suffering from viral spam. I hope it won't get over to ours. The wiki is safe for the time being due to our activities. But these things did happen in the past...
    spoor356
    spoor356
    Front Flyer
    Front Flyer

Post by spoor356 10/13/2016, 2:35 pm

Well only General "Mad Dog" Mattis, but that's a different story. Why are the only good examples that I can find currently mostly American or British.

Here's my current list of capable, but potentially or allegedly mad generals:

General "Mad" Anthony Wayne
    General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson
    General William Tecumseh Sherman
    General Daniel Sickles
    General Charles Mangin
    General George Patton
    General Henry Paget, Lord Uxbridge
    Admiral Horatio Nelson

Anyway time to investigate other things and have more fun.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 10/15/2016, 5:06 pm

IIRC both Hannibal and his opponent Scipio Africanus were thought bit mad in their day.

Well this week when my sister was in town we went to Spokane and when we stopped at Walmart I picked up 60 of what I thought were DVD cases but turned out to be CD cases instead.
    I shall be using them temporarily until I can find some actual DVD cases.
    The only thing is that you can't place the covers on them.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 10/17/2016, 2:06 pm

I have my DVDs in CD cases lined up in 14 rows facing the front. Each row has between 3-7 discs in it.
    I thought it be better to do it that well than simply to line them up in a regular row since it put less
    pressure on the cases.

Cubs and Dodgers are now tied 1-1.

spoor356
    spoor356
    Front Flyer
    Front Flyer

Post by spoor356 10/17/2016, 3:11 pm

I am headed to Youmacon soon. So I have to add stuff to my comprehensive examinations before I graduate. I hope to continue my previous talk but on any note.

I'm so tired. I have a horrible programming project to finish and once that is done, building stuff in second Life. the semester and lack of sleep is rather bothersome.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 10/17/2016, 3:50 pm

Forgot about Alexander who kills his allies drunk or not...

Second life is still kicking? I guess people doing business there are stuck.
    Have a nice trip and fun!

Elections around the corner and someone decided to pull the plug on Assange. Saw that coming.
    spoor356
    spoor356
    Front Flyer
    Front Flyer

Post by spoor356 10/18/2016, 3:33 pm

Thanks to Indy Neidell, I now know about this awesome human being: Geoffrey Spicer-Simson.

I would recommend watching his show on YouTube "The Great War", it's like cocaine for historians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5cp-QFzfxU (Features the battle where he mentions Commander Spicer-Simson).

Anyway besides that, I am beginning to realize how awesome a band the Electric Six is. I hope they continue to perform.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 10/19/2016, 1:17 pm

Nice.
    Yeah, only recently contemporary historians have discovered the uncovered battle fields of the world wars. Lots of large scale battles, lots of death, but ultimately low importance to then european dominated world rule.
    Well, I kind off passed the discovery age since ever, having read up thanks to some really good, thick, comprehensive books.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 10/19/2016, 1:19 pm

What type of band are they?

I got my results from the doctor in two pages. On the second pages it said the biopsy
    showed no pre-cancerous growth so no to worry; however the later pathology report
    showed that there were and I have to go back in for a second colonsocopy next year some time.

The report says that I could have gotten colon cancer 8-12 years from now if the polyp hadn't been removed.
    spoor356
    spoor356
    Front Flyer
    Front Flyer

Post by spoor356 10/19/2016, 2:03 pm

The Electric Six is a band that had much more success in the great pop-mix craze in the late 1990's and early 2000's, which I call the most diverse time in American music history. Pick a genre, it most likely had a top 10 hit in the Billboard 200 during this time. Salsa, Rock, Pop, Country, it was nuts.

Electric Six I would say is something like Alternative Disco-Rock? It's hard to put them on a genre of Rock since their lead Dick Valentine basically writes songs as follows: "I wrote the song Gay Bar when I was in a bar, and at the time Devo was on the radio and they had this song with the lyric 'girl it's what you want', and I heard it 'Girl I want to take you to a gay bar', . . .I wrote the song based on that."

Glad to hear that they did discover what could have been problematic. I hope you continue to do well. In the meantime, I have to continue to butcher history >_<. Oh, more HMTL programming soon.

Trying to recruit someone to join this forum, not sure if they will come along. I can only hope.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 5/16/2024, 5:23 am