Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.

Kin of the Stars

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Kin of the Stars

A community for the fans of Crest of the Stars, Abh culture, anime, technology, science fiction, video games, and friendly conduct.

+4
mitsuki lover
Verethragna
AlexT
Cloudji
8 posters

Random Thought

Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 2849
    Imperial Credits : 18926
    Registration date : 2009-03-18

Random Thought - Page 40 Empty Re: Random Thought

Post by Almael 6/3/2017, 8:22 am

Good for them. I really can't imaging myself living in the past nor want to, though. You got to be born in said times because the stress will shorten your life for sure even if only for a short time.
    And in the future... no matter how good you are at surviving without resources it's meaningless, too.

Oh yeah, some journalist noted the coincidence of how treaties (Paris accord) tend to run out at the end of a legislation's term. Seriously, is he stupid? That's the basics about politics, negotiations and ruling. You negotiate the best outcome in the time of your governance not someone else after you who might be your rival.

Apropos, the old bikes (trash) people left around my area got thrown away just the day before. They were littering the backyard so to say.

------
    Windows 10 rant
    Updated the latest security stuff this week again and since I got a number ~5 of crashes due to memory management. Gosh it's leaking more than ever!
    MSPaint & calculator are so useless now. Some tools in MSPaint are like half gone or inaccessible I dunno how to resize. Some idiots on the net are praising the calculator like there's nothing better. They probably never actually used it. In the past I could write a whole page full of parameters of a complex equation and paste them in into the calculator and get the result. Now pasting doesn't work at all. I end up installing an alternative version (pseudo old version emulating). The only bad thing about this one is it clears the result when changing mode. So I can't just switch between different kind of calculation mode or configuration e.g. decimal to hex/angular or scientific/statistic/programming etc.
    Of course it can't compete with math programs and graphing tools but it's far easier to get a quick & complex calculation than coding the equations and setting up the plots.
    -------

Looks like part of Japan is removing (soonish) the smoke ban in restaurants for the time being(Olympics?). And the cost for the Olympics seems to be doubled or more (actual numbers still in "political" uncertainty)

Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 6/5/2017, 11:33 am

Looks like now that Iran is more or less out of the power picture the Saudis turned toward Qatar.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/us-gulf-qatar-idUSKBN18W0DQ
    Qatar had been trying to unseat the Saudis through certain groups so it's not surprising.

Germany is withdraws troops from turkey... Seem the EU is onto ditching them.

Recently, some people on the net have been voicing their concern over a number of "news" e.g. about Intel's "secret" RFID tags on their processors. Well, Intel has been officially producing, aiming for, and practicing this for over a decade already... It's not like cellphone RF transceivers are new either or GPS tracking. Similarly, how supermarkets have started to track customers via face recognition isn't news either since those digital advertising boards have been introduced a few years ago. It's kind of amusing these well connected people have been obviously sleeping on the very development they depend on.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-court-mobilephone-idUSKBN18W1RY
    I thought they turned it down not long ago. Oh well, this will be interesting.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 4168
    Imperial Credits : 17784
    Registration date : 2009-04-10

Post by mitsuki lover 6/5/2017, 2:37 pm

With the number of Turks living in Germany I wonder how popular the withdrawal is going to be over there.

Started re-watching the original Battlestar Galatica on METv Saturday. Yeah, there's probably a lot more Mormonism in it then the reboot: Kolob, Quorum of the Twelve,etc. but still even with that
    I think it's cooler than the reboot. Also one of the most significantly underrated Sci Fi shows of all time.

Hey! John Colicos as Baltahasar and Lorne Greene as Adama! Cool
    And let's not forget Jonathan Harris as the voice of Lucifer!

I scanned through Neil Gaiman's The Problem With Susan about what happened to Susan
    Pevensie and why she's not in The Last Battle. Though I think the real reason is that
    C.S.Lewis hated her as a character and that's why Jill was written into the story during the events of The Silver Chair.
    As a result everyone and his brother as their own interpretation of what happened to Susan.
    Mine is that after the train crash that killed the rest of her family she suffers a nervous breakdown and is sent to an insane asylum in the country.
    There she meets a young priest who helps convert her to Catholicism.
    A couple years later she starts having dreams about Narnia and she tells her priest friend about them.He decides to introduce her to a writer he knows who might be interested in her stories.
    This is how she meets C.S. Lewis who agrees to turn the tales into a series of children's novels.
    After the last interview with Lewis, Susan is going to go away to take a holiday prescribed by her
    psychologist. She decides to visit America, but on takeoff her plane crashes at Heathrow killing her and everyone else on board...
    I think it better that she died like her siblings as a young woman still rather live to an old age.

Well that's my take on that issue...

btw:my idiocy knows no bounds it seems: I was trying to pump up the air in the front tire of a bike I got at the church rummage sale not thinking because the pump I was using was also broken, so now have a flat front tire and have to wait to get it pumped up.
    In my defense both tires did feel like they needed pumping up a bit to begin with..
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 6/6/2017, 3:42 pm

Well, the turks in Germany don't have power via a political party yet, but in another ten years it will be different. Erdogan and his people have been spying and done all kinds of other things. I wouldn't be surprised if Germany laws get changed in due time.

BSG TOS is good classic no doubt, and no racism as in the reboot imho.

Typical case of short term story thinking and trying to put sense into continuations:
    Apropos: Lord of the Rings secret love story got published a week ago: The Tale of Beren and Lúthien
    Seen it in the library yet?

https://arstechnica.com/security/2017/06/how-a-few-yellow-dots-burned-the-intercepts-nsa-leaker/
    Oooh, someone was ignorant of the typing machine, printer tracking dots...

http://blog.checkpoint.com/2017/05/23/hacked-in-translation/
    Forgot about this. Only problem for those TV, movie stuff. Anime's safe. No anime sub group would ever use those sites. And I've never used those crappy players either. Classic MPC is still best, only a certain korean player is better.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/06/mars-enthusiast-planetary-protection-a-racket-should-be-largely-ignored/
    Ridiculous after Obama signed the asteroid mining law/accord or whatever it's called.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 6/7/2017, 1:15 pm

I goofed...it was Baltar and not Balthasar!
    Another reason why the original was better was because it wasn't ambiguous the way the reboot was.
    It seems like from episode to episode you couldn't really tell the difference between the heroes and the villains on the reboot.
    OTOH it did give us our first good look in a series at Grace Park and did bring Lucy Lawless back to
    regular series work after the failed modern revisioning of Tarzan.
    And yeah I would take the original Boomer and Colonel Tigh over the reboots any day.

Watermarks are another thing they didn't consider. Every company uses different watermarks for their paper so if it was printed out the watermarks could be a definite tell tale sign of where it was
    originated.

At least it would be a tell tale sign of what paper company they used, if nothing else.
    That way it would narrow down to only those companies that used that particuliar paper.

Did you read that the same company that was supposedly going to do an American live action version of Snowpiercer is now saying they are going to do an American live action version of
    Cowboy Bebop as a tv series? Though they haven't stated anything further about whether or not they have network involvement or any thing else about it.

Also the new CCS OVA that leads into the new season is set to premiere in LA next month.

Been tooling around town on my new bike trying to get used to it. Washington State doesn't have a helmet law for bikes but it depends on where you live. Mainly it's the big cities and urban areas that have them. Where I live there isn't any...
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 6/7/2017, 4:30 pm

Too bad the 80's BSG wasn't as good.

Yeah, handing over the originals to a secret organization for confirmation... Now people think the intercept might be a honeypot. It wasn't the first time they turned things over either if I'm not mistaken. Well, the way how she was she would have been caught anyway. One way or another.
    Anything can be tracked today. Your letters, posts, wrapping papers, shopping items...

No, but american Live action still face some hurdles. Unless you got big names doing it Hollywood will intervene.

There used to be no such law at all until a decade ago or so.
    You should wear a helmet. There are too many drunk or careless drivers around. And honestly you can't see everything as a driver. Better be prepared than sorry.

Microsoft ads for the Xbox is coming strong these days. I dunno it's worth it or not. I don't really care about (U)HD or 4K/8K that much yet. Too much unnecessary information.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 6/9/2017, 1:30 pm

But it did give us the fun campy Return of Starbuck Dirk Benedict's one and only return to
    BSG wherein he basically pals around with a Cylon named "Cy"! Laughing
    (Unless you count the time on The A Team the extra in a Cylon suit walks past him..)

Sooo...They had a election in UK...thoughts:

1)They HAD an election in the UK?
    2)Lord Buckethead ftw! Laughing
    3)Speaking of which, doesn't it seem like some of those candidates/parties sound like they come right out of an episode of Blackadder or a Monty Python skit or movie?
    4) And if we needed any other reminders why Scotland should have gone Independent when they
    had the chance this election certainly appears to have been reason enough.

Yeah probably will have to do so one of these. I wonder if Ben Franklin sells them.
    Both it and I think the nearest bike shop are in Idaho though.
    So far been staying away from big traffic areas.

Personally myself I want to see a live action Kaleido Star just because it would be fun to see if they could get someone from Cirque du Soleil to do the stunt work.

And finally: they did the episode of DS9 on Heroes and Icons where everyone thinks that
    Gowron's a Changeling spy but it turns out the spy is actually General Martok! One of the most fun
    Klingon episodes in Star Trek because O'Brien, Sisko and Odo get to pretend to be Klingons.
    Worf putting them through the drills was fun to watch.
    I wonder was Martok descended from Captain Archer's defense attorney?
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 6/9/2017, 4:13 pm

Well, that episode was kind of similar to the one where Apollo was shot down and hid among humans ruled by bandits using a cylon guard.
    Remember in the TOS extra they said how crazy it was to shoot and air on the same day? The Koreans said the shooting of "Descendants of the Sun" was highly irregular because it was not a live-format as is the norm. 150 episode shows like the Japanese in just 5-6 months is even crazier. And not counting the commercials, TV appearances, interview they got to do on the side. They can't survive without those payments. Imagine the stress. One young idol died recently, too.

1) It was May's fault. Her rating went down yet she insisted on it...
    3) lol They are bad losers.
    4) Now they side with her for some reason. I think they got too much scotch. lol

I don't think there are enough people for selection and making "Kaleido Star". Perhaps when CG tech becomes more convenient.

Dunno about Martok, I'm thinking more of Kirk and Worf in undiscovered land.

------
    https://arstechnica.com/security/2017/06/malicious-powerpoint-files-can-infect-targets-when-hovering-over-hyperlinks/
    Damn those annoying popups are now seriously dangerous. Who would have thought auto-executing something is dangerous!!

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2017/06/are-flying-cars-about-to-become-a-real-thing-starburst-accelerator-thinks-they-are/A lot of aircars these days are poping up. But they are all more like quadro drone designs than halfblood aircrafts.

https://japantoday.com/category/crime/japan-moves-towards-first-major-rape-law-changes-in-a-century
    Was long overdue.

https://japantoday.com/category/tech/softbank-to-buy-robot-maker-boston-dynamics
    Heh. For years BD didn't get anywhere until the army rented the Japanese HAL5 exoskeleton for evaluation and copied the design. They sent out public request for help in making the BigDog feasible with power usage. Then Google bought Schaft and won with it the DOD's competition.
    They copied the dynamic movement algorithm into the Atlas. Still not getting better and now they get sold in way back to the Japanese. Millions in tax money wasted.

Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 6/11/2017, 7:18 pm

The E3 is on so I'm watching a few shows here.
    Dragon Ball Fighters exclusive for Xbox...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH9mzgBVbA0
    It's a mix of 3D and classic pixel art.

Anthem
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah0uexzHrJo
    Why does the setting sound like Attack on Titan... otherwise looks like a mix of Fallout or Judge Dread universe or Mad Max,or classic End-world animes etc...

Since Paris17 is next week I also took a few looks at some of the show flyers. The F35 will have an appearance but from what I seen in their practice flights. It's not impressive even though the AirForce version is used. It does ordinary at full burn but looks sluggish at slower speed. On the other hand the A380 flying 45 degrees maneuvers is fearsome amazing. I think it did a better impression than the B2 flying show considering both natures.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8huxHFYzI8o
    unlike the rather ordinary fake post for the B787
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5_8D8HCnS4

Edit: And yeah, MAST is taking place right now, too:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U04JcipyQew
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 6/12/2017, 3:51 pm

Sadly we lost the original Caped Crusader over the weekend with the death of Adam West.
    One of the true Icons of American tv. Sad

It's interesting that Sunday H & I aired Friday's Child on Star Trek since it featured
    Julie Newmar.

I watched a part of the Hamilton bio on "History Channel".
    It was hilarious watching the parts with James Madison since the actor they choose was really nothing like him. Madison was barely 5'4" and thin. The actor playing him could easily have made two of him! Laughing

Also they didn't mentioned that Aaron Burr was the grandson of Jonathan Edwards.

Of course Washington had to steer a middle course between Hamilton and Jefferson to make things work (the original Team of Rivals).

And they didn't mention the fact that Hamilton was one of those people who would have perferred Washington declaring himself King as Hamilton was a born monarchist.

Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 6/13/2017, 4:15 pm

RIP Adam West.

And she's still alive and good looking.

lol
    Well, for all the controversial, debatable decisions Washington made a few good and vital ones where it counted. Although, I'm not certain the ideas of them originate from him.
    ------
    Anyway,the Philippine military has been bombing in Marawi city in an effort to free the city for independence day but of course failed. The effort was too late anyway. Like with everything there's another long story behind all this. In any case, this probably will go on for another month. And I don't think it will end here.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-china-artificialintelligence-idUSKBN1942OX
    I don't think it matters at this point with them occupying the first two places on the TOP500 super computer list. And they already are building the next two. They got enough know-how to go their own way.
    Meanwhile, it looks like Panama is well in China's boat.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/us-panama-china-idUSKBN194054
    They still need the investment for the new channel so it's not really surprising.

There's is talk about weapons delivery to the Saudis. All I can say it this has been "censored" @WikiPedia for 6+ months .

mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 6/14/2017, 1:35 pm

Who censored it Wikipedia or the Saudis?

I think a lot of the problem is of course pols like Obama who think that "playing nice" was going to work.
    No,,,you can't "play nice" with people whose sole goal in life is to see you buried in a dung heap.
    One of the things that needs to be done is to destroy the entire ideology that drives Jihadism in the first place, in anyway possible.

I think it was Cicero or Cato who famously ended all his speeches with: "Carthage must be destroyed!" today he would be saying: " Radical Islam must be destroyed!"

I only had $6 or so in my wallet so after going to the PO today went to the bank and took out
    $40. Now I have enough to invest in a bike helmet.

When I ordered Bubblegum Crisis,Tokyo 2040 I think I only put Bubblegum Crisis
    on the check but I did indicate which one on the order form so I hope I didn't confuse them! Laughing

Anywhos yeah Adam West will be missed. Julie Newmar tweeted a really sweet image of Catwoman and Batman having a soda.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 6/15/2017, 4:37 pm

From what I see probably both: citing irrelevance since the "ink" has not dried yet although the news & negotiation and "semi-approval" has been around for years including congressional reports etc..

Yeah, this is where moral laws hit its limitation. Although, I think you need to be flexible in all your judgements I also think when it comes down to evil there's often not much choice left.

The check info doesn't really matter as it's only for reminding you. Or perhaps for confirmation in court but that's rather an unlikely case.

------------
    I went to see Wonder Woman the other day. I have to say it's better than expected and better than all other recent comic hero movies. It covers the life path of her so to say. Not much only a few seconds each time but something you very rarely see in an action Hollywood movie. It showed or contrast her point of view with reality and of human nature. As for factional "consistency", well, for unknown reasons they left out immortality which cause a few inconsistencies and logical gaps in story telling and reasoning. For example the Amazon queen talks about themselves yet the time covered are obviously thousands of years. She mention slavery but not how or under whom. Even though her sister has always been the best (since time immortal) she's said to be the best in their history. The movie made Diana a member of the greek god species. Reasonable from the movie's standpoint.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/06/uss-ford-is-ready-for-service-except-for-the-plane-launching-part/
    So they blame mechanical vibration of a railgun accelerator to software... The only thing I can think of is the firing sequence, that is if there are actually different magnets which a railgun does not have.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 6/16/2017, 1:58 pm

Well I realize it's no big deal but just wondering if it made a difference or not since it's the tv series and not the OVA.

I think at one point Diana was supposed to have been created out of clay by Zeus himself.

I also can't get pass the fact that a lot of the action sequences seem to be inspired by Xena.
    Especially in the way that Diana fights.

Finally got myself a bike helmet yesterday. Looked around Ben Franklin and saw they were still selling some DVD players but no cases.
    I suppose one day soon we will be seeing DVD players being sold at second hand stores.

Heroes and Icons ran the DS9 episode Trials and Tribblethons on Wednesday night and then yesterday night ran the original Star Trek episode The Trouble With Tribbles.
    Too bad they weren't on the same day, that would've been even more fun!
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 6/17/2017, 4:44 pm

Well, the TV and 2040 OVA are different alright. I don't remember everything now but the older one rocks more literally. Very Happy The OVA has more sex appeal and a finished arc. The story is different like an alternative.

yeah, Diana's birth changed from clay to demigod and now implied full fledged god.
    Imho Xena is inspired by WM. As for action, well, if you see enough you seen them all.

They probably didn't want the timing to contest their other shows.

-----

News about the A10 warthog heated up discussions again. The only reason it has to go is 1. age and 2. it has no stealth. Otherwise it's perfect for the job. Now I see a certain faker (STAVATTI) promoting his noob rubbish crap again this time for the A10 and not a F-xx stealth fighter. Don't tell me the DOD and some serious magazines are citing this guy again. One glance is enough to discern crap like this. The Bronco here is far superior!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfBCr7_6XaI

Another navy destroyer collide with another ship again. I don't get how this could happen these days when they got night and infrared vision at hand not to mention radar. A warship should have no problem outmaneuvering a heavy container ship. My guess it they were daring, got too close and the streaming sucking effect(Coandă effect) caught them. Ah, it's called Bank Effect in naval speak. WP needs update.

mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 6/19/2017, 2:02 pm

Human Error probably is the best guess IMO. Tech is only as good as the people who use it. I mean back in the day the Exxon Valdez was supposedly one of the top line oil tankers but it still caused
    a major ecological disaster in Alaska because of a drunk captain.

And now Cars 3 has raced pass Wonder Woman for the top spot.

Captain Marvel movie with Brie Larson is supposed to come out next year some time if IIRC.
    This will be a test to see if a Marvel film with a female protagonist can do as well as WW.
    I wonder how many will go see it because they confuse it with the Billy Batson Captain Marvel?
    Probably not too many.

Welp...it didn't matter about the check as BGC.Tokyo 2040 should arrive by tommorrow at the earliest. And next month I'm ordering School Live (nothing like cute girls fighting the zombie
    apocalypse! Laughing )

-------

http://kinofthestars.heavenforum.org/viewtopic.forum?t=234

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 3/29/2024, 4:47 am