Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.

Kin of the Stars

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Kin of the Stars

A community for the fans of Crest of the Stars, Abh culture, anime, technology, science fiction, video games, and friendly conduct.

+6
Diaho
Ekuryua
tanis1lionheart
Schwenkdawg
AlexT
JGZinv
10 posters

The Ubiquitous What Are You Watching Thread?

Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 2849
    Imperial Credits : 18984
    Registration date : 2009-03-18

The Ubiquitous What Are You Watching Thread? - Page 3 Empty Re: The Ubiquitous What Are You Watching Thread?

Post by Almael 6/8/2009, 9:26 am

As I said, such a system hasn't been deployed yet in the US Navy. (Only Israel has deployed such a system for tanks, IPV, ships) The US army & Germany are still testing a laser system against bombs and to some degree artillery shells. But none are ready for production yet.
    Normal ship cannon shells are smaller than normal artillery shell used today.
    The yamato or new yersey shells could be intercepted by the CIWS system as they are big as bombs/missiles. However. the CIWS is very unrelyable regarding operationality. That's why the navy is switching to the german/us Ram missiles.
    If you have ever seen us navy ships doing lifefire exercises you will notice that they do no better than normal artillerists despite all their realtime sensors and computers (against non-moving ships!). An artillerist with a good observer could do better.

True nowaday subs are more silent but that advantage depends on speed. At 20kt a sub is as loud as a band no matter what. Besides all ships use active sonar so it doesn't matter if a sub is silent or not.
    And note that the japanese torpedoes were the most advanced at the time. Only the germans with their zik-zak seeking torpedoes could compete.
    Of course there is no WW2 ship that could escape an ASCAP.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 4195
    Imperial Credits : 17869
    Registration date : 2009-04-10

The Ubiquitous What Are You Watching Thread? - Page 3 Empty Re: The Ubiquitous What Are You Watching Thread?

Post by mitsuki lover 6/8/2009, 3:23 pm

This week:
    *Ani-Monday
    *Excel Saga vol.1 ep.2
    *Fancy Lala vol.4 ep.18
    *Kiddy Grade Case 8 ep.23
    *Tenchi ep.4(fansub)
    *Devil Lady
    *Ah!My Goddess vol.3 ep.11
    I need to start watching Slayers Try on Saturdays.Been using Saturdays to re-watch older stuff,but the more DVDs I get the more I need to change the way I watch them.Either star marathoning or watch 2 per night instead of just one.
    geek
    Any ways I started an Uber-List to be on the safe side that I don't miss any titles I ought to get into.
    I have Madlax,Gunslinger Girl and Gunsmith Cats all on it.
    I also put down Princess Tutu and Scrapped Princess and MAR. cheers
    Schwenkdawg
    Schwenkdawg
    Rear Flyer
    Rear Flyer

Number of posts : 113
    Imperial Credits : 11498
    Registration date : 2009-03-25

Post by Schwenkdawg 6/9/2009, 12:43 am

Actually, although you are correct about the japanese long lance torpedo, even late war german torpedoes (and american) had fuze problems. As for modern day submarines, at 30+ knot "sprint" speeds, they make a lot of noise, but at a cruising speed of 18-20 kts theyre actually pretty quiet. and with the advance of technology, the new Virginia class of US subs is actually quiter at 25 kts than the Los Angeles and later soviet designs are at 5 kts.

And finally your point on artillery. I'm not absolutely sure that that is correct with modern naval ordnance being usually 5 inchers controlled and guided by computers, but if you are indeed correct, then you have to remember that youre firing from a platform thats constantly moving, so the gun is never in the same place or at the same angle. Firing artillery from that sort of situation would be ridiculously innaccurate as well. Either way, i still think Zipang is a pretty kickass anime, and hell, if its slightly unrealistic, i just remind myself its about time travel and its animated...seems to work well for me
    JGZinv
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 681
    Imperial Credits : 12642
    Registration date : 2009-03-17

Post by JGZinv 6/9/2009, 1:43 am

Dudes, let's start a war tech discussion if we shall continue.
    We've gone above and beyond the 3D modeling discussion length before in the other thread.

tanis1lionheart
    Front Flyer
    Front Flyer

Number of posts : 198
    Imperial Credits : 11612
    Registration date : 2009-05-06

Post by tanis1lionheart 6/9/2009, 3:35 am

...of the Stars series.
    Finally got around to finishing the 'Lost Chapter' movie/ova thing.

Toradora! - So far it's kind of cute; in an abusive way.

Mobile Suit Gundam - 0079 (the original series) - I LOVE this anime. How organic the mechs feel and move are great.
    Too bad the other series in MGS lost it.

I think I'll also start Dragon Ball. Not a huge fan of DBZ, but I love the first one.

God I love forums...even though now I need to buy another 500GB HDD.
    >_<
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 6/9/2009, 8:34 am

Lt. Schwenkdawg wrote:
    and with the advance of technology, the new Virginia class of US subs is actually quiter at 25 kts than the Los Angeles and later soviet designs are at 5 kts.

And finally your point on artillery. I'm not absolutely sure that that is correct with modern naval ordnance being usually 5 inchers controlled and guided by computers, but if you are indeed correct, then you have to remember that youre firing from a platform thats constantly moving, so the gun is never in the same place or at the same angle.
    I don't believe in propaganda claims. geek
    I'm pretty sure about these cannons:
    1. naval cannon of 5 inches fire compact shells like that of guns; small warhead
    2. 155-203 mm artillery and like the big ship cannon fire a whole 'bomb' with an independent number of propellant charges.
    Even WW2 ships like the Bismark can account for ship movement not to mention modern computers. I admit the ships prefere to go along side to ease up the firing accuracy.
    All cannons nowaday are radar guided.
    And yeah nothing is better as having a kickass ship. Laughing

JGZinv wrote:Dudes, let's start a war tech discussion if we shall continue.
    We've gone above and beyond the 3D modeling discussion length before in the other thread.
    I think this is over about by now. Razz

tanis1lionheart wrote:
    Mobile Suit Gundam - 0079 (the original series) - I LOVE this anime. How organic the mechs feel and move are great.

>_<

Yeah, the mecha's movement have so much live.
    Harddrives are cheap now compared to before. If you are using lots of space you should consider getting a terabyte. I don't do much but I generate a gig of documents, pictures, snapshots, 3D files, other junks a month when very active. Mostly backups of old versions.
    tanis1lionheart
    tanis1lionheart
    Front Flyer
    Front Flyer

Post by tanis1lionheart 6/9/2009, 10:25 am

Almael wrote:
    tanis1lionheart wrote:
    >_<
    Yeah, the mecha's movement have so much live.
    Harddrives are cheap now compared to before. If you are using lots of space you should consider getting a terabyte. I don't do much but I generate a gig of documents, pictures, snapshots, 3D files, other junks a month when very active. Mostly backups of old versions.
    Yeah, wish more mech shows would keep the organic feel...there's something...nice about it.

I know they're fairly cheap.
    But I only buy solid state now and I just filled a 500GB with anime/games.
    >_>
    I do need to buy a 1TB solid state hard drive, I'm just being cheap right now given my job status.
    Schwenkdawg
    Schwenkdawg
    Rear Flyer
    Rear Flyer

Post by Schwenkdawg 6/10/2009, 2:01 am

i dunno, thats actually what i didnt like about the original gundam...well that and amuro was kinda whiny. When i watch a robot show, i like it if the robots look...well...more like machines than dudes in psychadelic 100 ft tall armor. IMO, the 08th MS team was better than the original, if only because the robots looked like robots.
    tanis1lionheart
    tanis1lionheart
    Front Flyer
    Front Flyer

Post by tanis1lionheart 6/10/2009, 9:59 am

Lt. Schwenkdawg wrote:i dunno, thats actually what i didnt like about the original gundam...well that and amuro was kinda whiny. When i watch a robot show, i like it if the robots look...well...more like machines than dudes in psychadelic 100 ft tall armor. IMO, the 08th MS team was better than the original, if only because the robots looked like robots.
    I love 08th MS Team; but I think the issue is that they overall animation was better.
    Yeah, it was a little more mechanical , but to me it looked more polished than anything.

I just like that more 'human' movement. To me it makes the mechs more of a character than just a tool.

Amaro was kind of a sissy, but at least his balls dropped.

I mean, 'gundam seed', I don't think they ever hit puberty...don't even get me started on the overrated 'glory' of Gundam Wing (even thought it was my first MSG/mech anime) and the STD ridden G Gundam (Seriously, 'burning fingers'? There's a freking cream for that!)
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 6/10/2009, 10:09 am

tanis1lionheart wrote:I mean, 'gundam seed', I don't think they ever hit puberty...don't even get me started on the overrated 'glory' of Gundam Wing (even thought it was my first MSG/mech anime) and the STD ridden G Gundam (Seriously, 'burning fingers'? There's a freking cream for that!)
    Hahaha. Exactly.
    I don't really think war can be won by some ace alone and who would put all their resources into one single mech? Seed is too exaggerating. UC series are way better.

MS 08 had also closer to real combat equipment and modifications for the general mech, not like the throw-away mechs in most series.
    JGZinv
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Post by JGZinv 6/10/2009, 11:30 am

"This power of mine is burning red! (blah blah blah) Erupting burning finger!"

I dunno, it might be a "cute boys for girls" spin on the Gundam verse, and Relena/Dorothy still rubs me the wrong way... but Gundam Wing was still an awesome series and had really good music.

But this is coming from a dude who has 1/60th scale perfect grade god gundam and Wing 0 models... and every Gundam Wing mech models in small scale.

mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 6/10/2009, 12:30 pm

Season 2 of Gundam 00 starts at the end of the month on Ani-Monday.
    Next time I go to Spokane I plan on seeing if anyone dropped off a used copy of Geneshaft at Suncoast.
    Schwenkdawg
    Schwenkdawg
    Rear Flyer
    Rear Flyer

Post by Schwenkdawg 6/10/2009, 2:18 pm

Yea, i liked 08th because most everyone was using suits that were essentially cannon fodder in the original, and it made them look capable. Hell, even the Zaku IIG types looked like they were dangerous, and dont get me started on the Gouf. And, i think MS can become characters if utilized correctly. For example, the Zaku almost became Zeon personified, and Wing gundam in gundam wing had that crazy system that gave it some individuality...and drove the blond arab boy (quatra? ketra?) who drove sandrock gundam insane (although sandrock was my favorite gundam from wing, and my first ever gundam model)

And G gundam was entirely ridiculous, so yea, i agree with you there...schwarz bruder? SERIOUSLY GUYS? haha if you have an even elementary knowledge of german, you figured out that he was related to the main character the moment he was introduced...although spiegel gundam was cool looking.
    tanis1lionheart
    tanis1lionheart
    Front Flyer
    Front Flyer

Post by tanis1lionheart 6/10/2009, 2:23 pm

Almael wrote:
    tanis1lionheart wrote:I mean, 'gundam seed', I don't think they ever hit puberty...don't even get me started on the overrated 'glory' of Gundam Wing (even thought it was my first MSG/mech anime) and the STD ridden G Gundam (Seriously, 'burning fingers'? There's a freking cream for that!)
    Hahaha. Exactly.
    I don't really think war can be won by some ace alone and who would put all their resources into one single mech? Seed is too exaggerating. UC series are way better.

MS 08 had also closer to real combat equipment and modifications for the general mech, not like the throw-away mechs in most series.
    I think that's one of the reasons why I love MS 08; there was a real feeling that there's a WAR going on. Not just a pissing contest between a blonde and a brunet. Don't get me wrong, I've loved many a gundam series, but it's kind of BS.
    I'm actually more a fan of Turn-A Gundam than anything when it comes to the 'long' gundam series.
    Weird as heck, but fun...also, the music was by 'Yoko Kanno' - nuff said there.
    I actually enjoyed Gundam 00; sure, it's the old 'ace' mentality, but at least they lost every now and then.
    I recently watched 'After War Gundam X' - wow...just Robotech much?
    Anyways, I could rant and talk about gundam all day.
    Especially that trash called 'SD Gundam' - Even if the GBA game was fun.

mitsuki lover wrote:Season 2 of Gundam 00 starts at the end of the month on Ani-Monday.
    Next time I go to Spokane I plan on seeing if anyone dropped off a used copy of Geneshaft at Suncoast.

If you have good enough i-net, why not watch it only or DL a HQ level of it?

Last edited by tanis1lionheart on 6/10/2009, 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : adding)
    JGZinv
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Post by JGZinv 6/12/2009, 5:29 am

Ack! I started watching K-ON and found it to be a cute series with some good natured humor and it's centered around musicians which is relevant to me right now...

...and I didn't realize it wasn't completed yet!

Usually I try to avoid series that aren't completed because I have a habit of watching anything under 20 episodes in one sitting. Waiting is difficult...

mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 6/19/2009, 11:52 am

I finished watching Kiddy Grade Case 8 yesterday.Need to get more one of these days.
    Next week I re-start NOIR vol.1.Also this week started Ah!My Goddess vol.3 and Full Moon vol.1(again).Midway through both Excel Saga vol.1 and Tenchi Moyu original OVA(fansub of the later).
    Will be going to Spokane on Tuesday to see what else I can find.
    My list of what to look for when I am there:
    Geneshaft(probably not avaible)
    Sailor Moon(yeah...I know VERY wishful thinking)
    Gunsmith Cats
    Buso Renkin
    Madlax
    Mahoromatic
    Gunslinger Girl
    Crest/Banner of the Stars(Gee...I wonder if anyone has ever heard of it?! lol! )
    Boogiepop Phantom
    Mamotte Shugogetten(probably better luck with the manga)
    I"s
    009-1
    Nanoha
    Chance Pop Session
    DearS
    You're Under Arrest(again unlikely to find)
    Utena(ditto to above)
    Dragon Half(probably not there and unlikely to find)
    Cutie Honey
    Midori Days(another unlikely to find one)
    Wolf's Rain
    Battle Atheletes
    Daphne in the Brilliant Blue
    Princess Tutu
    Scrapped Princess
    Moribito
    Najica Blitz Tactics
    My-Hime
    Kannazuki no Miko(a mecha series involving a couple of miko priestesses in training.)
    Magic Knight Rayearth
    Claymore
    so why put a lot of series on the list that I know might not be avaible?Hey...part of it is about the hunt.Also if I simply walked in to Sun Coast
    got a copy of Madlax or Buso Renkin and plucked the money down for it I would still have a wait as my dad has his hearing appointment at Sears and I think I would have plenty of time to kill so might as well spend at least some of it looking at anime DVDs!
    that or look at all the Lincoln biographies at
    B & N. lol!
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 6/20/2009, 8:45 pm

A fairly good list, I only skipped some of these.
    mitsuki lover wrote:Crest/Banner of the Stars(Gee...I wonder if anyone has ever heard of it?! lol! )
    Hmmm...
    COTS = Cinderella Off Top Show?
    BOTS = Babes Orgy Trance Society? lol!
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Number of posts : 542
    Imperial Credits : 12460

Post by AlexT 6/21/2009, 6:26 pm

Last thing i watched was "Voice of a distant star

Can someone suggest a good site to see info about new anime that comes out with short reviews of it? I have a few links i used but they store tons of reviews and no chronology...
    Looks like i'm out of anime series to watch atm.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 6/21/2009, 7:23 pm

Well, there aren't such convenient ones, but you can try http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/.
    There are tons of classics you haven't seen, but it's your lost. Razz

Edit: Btw. if you are so bored enough, I dare to suggest you watch a korean pseudo history/fantasy story: Legend - Tae Wang Sa Shin Gi
    There exist one single torrent which you can't access, but I might be able to arrange it, though.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 6/24/2009, 2:33 pm

I always like to read the reviews at Anime.com. Laughing
    Ok.So yesterday night I re-watched Excel Saga vol.1 ep.4.
    Favorite line:"Hatchan this is no time to be dead!"Excel while holding the bomb in the women's room. lol!
    As to what happened on my hunt for anime yesterday in Spokane.Long story short:
    when we got to where Northtown Mall is they had a big old blackout the entire block.The entire mall was out,with Sears being the sole exception.It was pretty much like a ghost town,even considering the day of the week.
    Even B & N was pretty dark.
    So wound up getting vols. 3 & 4 of the Mamotte Shugogetten manga and part 1 of
    Moribito and Read or Die OVA at Borders.
    cheers
    That got me thinking and I decided instead of trying to make a big ole list of titles again or trying to be 'spontaneous' when I buy that I'd concentrate on a couple of titles only for each
    month.
    So I devised three lists for from this July to next July divided into Plans A,B and C:
    Plan A List:
    July:Buso Renkin
    Aug.:Madlax
    Sept.I"s
    Oct.:Chobits
    Nov.:Mahoromantic
    Dec.:Nanoha
    Jan.:Najica Blitz Tactics
    Feb.:DearS
    Mar.:Death Note
    Apr.:Code Geass
    May:Gurren Lagann
    June:Ikki-Tousen
    July:Nanaka 6/17
    Plan B List:
    July:Chrono Crusade
    Aug.:Big O
    Sept.:Kanon
    Nov.:Mushi-shi
    Dec.:Tokko
    Jan.:Noein
    Feb.:Spice And Wolf
    Mar.:Princess Tutu
    Apr.:Scrapped Princess
    May:Princess Resurrection
    June:One Piece
    July:MAR
    Plan C:
    July:Claymore
    Aug.:Booiepop Phantom
    Sept.:Fullmetal Alchemist
    Oct.:Hell Girl
    Nov.:Devil Hunter Yohko
    Dec.:Battle Angel
    Jan.:009-1
    Feb.:Ninja Nonsense
    Mar.:Solty Rei
    Apr.:Kino's Journey
    May:Negima
    June:Clannad
    July:Elemental Gelade
    I would have done a Plan D but since the Borg never have a Plan D I thought that was going a bit too far! lol!
    Note this forces me to buy certain titles such as
    Death Note and Chobits that I keep making excuses not to get.Also it gives me a time table to get Buso Renkin and Madlax and the others.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 6/26/2009, 1:53 pm

Hmm, you know you could just list the month with a number of series instead of different list.
    *long nose genius* geek lol!
    example: October: Chobits, Hell Girl.
    But it would be even better if you sort the series alphabetically, that way you can look up quicker which ones you are looking for. geek

Actually, the Borg have only one plan and that is to assimilate! Laughing
    Oh, and they won in the end. The universe was theirs, peace spread everywhere, no more wars, no more inequality, no more oppression, no more suffering, everyone is family.
    But then one day Vgr returned and in his last breath of resistance made anew the big bang, creating the universe we know now. geek

Btw. I'm watching Kenichi. It's as funny as the manga, but the girls are more kawai!
    I haven't heard so much kawai speech throuhout a series.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 7/8/2009, 2:37 pm

Well it looks like the next time we get to Spokane will be at the end of the month so I have a while to late still to get Buso Renkin.I will though be ordering Madlax from Rightstuf(if avaible)on the 16th of this month.
    I started vol.2 of Excel Saga yesterday.For some reason it kept freezing up in the part where Matsuya and the boys are on the firing range.Love when Matsuya keeps kicking
    Iwata's butt for abusing her full name like that.In Japan you can't do that unless you really know the person well or are given permission and Matusuya never gave him permission to do so.
    After Excel and Hyatt Matsuya is my fave!!
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Number of posts : 542
    Imperial Credits : 12460

Post by AlexT 7/13/2009, 3:58 am

I didn't have time to prepare for my last travel properly so I only took some books and managed to get just one anime - "Code Gass", but this one appeared to be absolutely great and kept me entertained for all this time Very Happy
    After so much "flat" anime i seen lately this is a welcome change.
    2 main heroes represent type i like and hate accordingly. The whole idea authors trying to pull is not clear to me yet but i haven't finished watching season 2 yet..
    I'd start a small discussion about this anime in general section if anyoen interested Very Happy
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 7/13/2009, 2:34 pm

Ok,so I plan on ordering MADLAX on thursday of this week.IF it's still avaible at Rightstuf.The reason I plan on doing it that way is because I can get the singles for only
    $5 per...IF they are still avaible.Otherwise I will have to wait to go into Spokane in August and pluck down $50 or so for the boxset.
    I also have doctor appointment in August,though don't know when....UGH....
    Best chance of getting Buso Renkin this month will probably be at the end of the month.
    Unless we go to Spokane some time sooner.
    Oh and...I'm as far as vol.4 of season 1 of AMG now!!!!
    Well at least Bunpei(Skuld's latest invention)proved he was a useful Anti-Marlier device.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 7/13/2009, 3:57 pm

@Alex: I understand why you thing Code Geass was good (super intelligent psycho guy and strategic tricks) but IMHO there are better older series. This one is just on a psycho trip with IMHO bad strategic tricks (actually a bunch of dumb mistakes not even considered)

examples: Basara, Legends of Galactice Heroes, Starship Operators, and a bunch of pseudo historic chinese/japanese/korean/other world stories.

I just examined the Genji Monogatari Ryuou was so excited about...well, it had pretty colors and was mostly narrative which is true to the original, but it was too concise...
    That's why I prefered to watch the Yoshitsune drama, because I get to see the Heike and japan's only known supposely warrior woman. Yeah, despite all the female heroes in anime Japan actually had only one supposely historic warrior woman.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 4/27/2024, 8:55 am