Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.

Kin of the Stars

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Kin of the Stars

A community for the fans of Crest of the Stars, Abh culture, anime, technology, science fiction, video games, and friendly conduct.

+6
Diaho
Ekuryua
tanis1lionheart
Schwenkdawg
AlexT
JGZinv
10 posters

The Ubiquitous What Are You Watching Thread?

JGZinv
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 681
    Imperial Credits : 12642
    Registration date : 2009-03-17

The Ubiquitous What Are You Watching Thread? - Page 2 Empty Re: The Ubiquitous What Are You Watching Thread?

Post by JGZinv 5/21/2009, 6:13 pm

Yeah I agree, I thought if it was to happen she'd get a body suited to the inside of ships and whatnot since she was always human sized in her mind... and wanted to be unseparated from people.

Spoiler:

Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 2849
    Imperial Credits : 18984
    Registration date : 2009-03-18

The Ubiquitous What Are You Watching Thread? - Page 2 Empty Re: The Ubiquitous What Are You Watching Thread?

Post by Almael 5/22/2009, 9:27 am

Spoiler:
    JGZinv
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Post by JGZinv 5/22/2009, 9:41 am

Well you had the whole birth thing covered in Armitage.
    Ghost in the Shell... probably half a dozen others.

In my case it was surprising because of all the goofy traits.
    Not to mention you usually see the macho main character driving some
    super powered dark mecha... here he's having to run all over the universe
    in a bright pink mecha that's got feelings for her runnner.

The comedy is kind of droll, but it works ok.

mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 4195
    Imperial Credits : 17869
    Registration date : 2009-04-10

Post by mitsuki lover 5/22/2009, 12:02 pm

I have one more week of Kiddy Grade Case 3 and then on to Case 8.
    Tonight I re-start Tenchi with our favorite Space pirat /Demoness.Working my way to watching Tenchi Universe.
    I've seen the ad for Tenchi GXP in Case 3 for
    Kiddy Grade.I don't know it doesn't appeal to me from the ad. tongue
    I think if anything I shall avoid it for now.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 5/22/2009, 1:55 pm

lol! A pink mitress commanding the hero!
    It's the quirks features that made ZOE different and entertaining to other mecha stories.

Mitsuki, if you are not a fan centered on tenchi only, you will miss a good series by skipping GPX. The GP ads is one of the highlights. lol!
    JGZinv
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Post by JGZinv 5/22/2009, 2:30 pm

Blah... GXP is just for seeing the ref' to Dual!.

Tenchi Universe, Tenchi OVAs up until 2, Photon, and Dual! were all good.

Tenchi in Tyoko is ok if you don't hold anything canon.

ZOE 3 is being talked about by Kojima over the last week, and now they
    are sort of trying to poll how much fans want it... man I'd buy a PS3 just
    to play ZOE 3... but I'd really like to see it on Xbox live... the multiplayer
    would be better with their network.

mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 5/25/2009, 2:23 pm

Well the ad was a bit blah tongue .
    Currently I am re-watching the fansub I have of
    Tenchi Moyu.Found a reference to the original Terminator and to Star Wars:The Empire Strikes Back in it.
    The Terminator reference is when Ryoko walks through the explosion and The Empire Strikes Back one when Tenchi slices off Ryoko's hand with the light saber(another reference to Star Wars).
    Yeah anime is even more fun when you can see references to the movies and other pop culture.
    Of course some of it might just be in the viewer's mind as I swear I saw a reference to The Granduate in yesterday's Ah!My Goddess!!! lol!
    Could be my wildly wild imagination at work.
    btw:It was ep.8:Ah!But Can You Pass The Love Test? the one that introduces Urd and...
    yeah...Skuld had a cameo in it.
    Belldandy:"Who's taking care of the System?"
    Urd:"I left the kid in charge."
    scene segues to Skuld hectically trying to keep up with things and swearing vengence on Urd. lol!
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 5/25/2009, 4:40 pm

GPX might be similar but it's more entertaining and does make an impression of itself.
    Dual hardly makes an impression of it's own. Actually, Dual missed many opportune stuff to go on and make it's own, instead it has many 'stops', main character is not quite convincing at times. (I criticized NGE and Stardust memory in these, too, but Dual is worse)
    I have seen similar but better decade older series. So I may have a higher expectation and different judgement.

I see more the other way around (because I see them more chronological), movies getting more anime like as well as number of songs. I know some anime songs are from popular japanese and some from internationl songs, but the anime ones have become more widespread now.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 5/27/2009, 2:34 pm

lol!
    Almael is in danger of being thrown to Kumu!!! lol!
    Ok...so I finally finished my one volume of Vandread:The Second Stage yesterday.It was ep.10:'Easy Come,Easy Go'and it was the one with the series Big Surprise At The End(though it wasn't the finale...3 more episodes left).A certain officer of the Nirvana wasn't what she claimed to be!!!
    Anyone else who has seen Vandread knows what I am talking about.
    Also got my copy of Slayers Try in the mail today and it came with a card advertising Vandread The Complete Series.It had Hibiki,Dita,Meia(my fave)and Jura on the front. cheers
    The next anime I plan on buying when I get to Spokane is either going to be Madlax or Buso Renkin.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 5/27/2009, 3:05 pm

Oh, I like hot dog. Razz
    JGZinv
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Post by JGZinv 5/28/2009, 4:48 am

He never said Kumu the dog... Twisted Evil

Well I watched all of the Ah! My Goddess season 1 and 2, plus the 2 ep anniversary show.

There's some seriously messed up stuff with the way they handled some of the
    god and religious items... and it's not really let on till later they were trying to spin
    off of the whole Norse myths. Which is pretty mixed up to begin with. It would have been better to label the characters as angels, not as goddesses. Trying to put that aside, Belldandy at least had an admirable character.

Season 2... eh it by the end sort of left me feeling season 1 was better. It was more thought out and the relationships were designed right. S2 just rather got stupid in one sense or another. There were things that could have been discussed better... others that didn't need to be rehashed again x3. It just didn't grow the relationship between Belldandy and Keiichi really, other than trial by fire. Which that was so-so in itself.
    They had a full 24 episodes to play with too, so it's rather sad.

The special... was.. sloppy. It seemed to be kinda half baked and leave a lot open to even more questions. Along with things that don't make sense... along with some DBZ-esque miracle moment powers. I can appreciate they went as far as they did to make a follow up 20 years after they started (wow I'm surprised it's been around so long) but I think modern times warped the message in between things. It's almost like the original team didn't have a hand in development - but sadly they did.

I reeeeeealy wish the character from hell (I won't spoil who she's related to) would get her head chopped clean off. Marller too for that matter... he/she/it is totally pathetic and should have been canned by the 4th ep of season 2.

AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Number of posts : 542
    Imperial Credits : 12460

Post by AlexT 5/28/2009, 5:29 am

Finished "Kaze no stigma" (Stigma of the Wind)
    Kept me entertained for a week but nothing exceptional, now i need something "non-casual" to watch but not sure if there's anything left i haven't seen yet...
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 5/28/2009, 3:37 pm

JGZinv wrote:He never said Kumu the dog... Twisted Evil
    You mean that little ball? Razz

There's some seriously messed up stuff with the way they handled some of the
    god and religious items... and it's not really let on till later they were trying to spin
    off of the whole Norse myths.
    That's normal for this type and AMG is much better than the others using religious stuff.

Which is pretty mixed up to begin with. It would have been better to label the characters as angels, not as goddesses.
    No, they are goddesses alright. They only get an angel when they develop enough.
    The angle is the reflection of their soul or power.

Season 2... eh it by the end sort of left me feeling season 1 was better. It was more thought out and the relationships were designed right. S2 just rather got stupid in one sense or another. There were things that could have been discussed better... others that didn't need to be rehashed again x3. It just didn't grow the relationship between Belldandy and Keiichi really, other than trial by fire. Which that was so-so in itself.
    They had a full 24 episodes to play with too, so it's rather sad.
    AMG is not a serious series, it's a young girl (chicky/cheesy) love series. You should have noticed this. But it's really nice, that why people like it.

along with some DBZ-esque miracle moment powers. I can appreciate they went as far as they did to make a follow up 20 years after they started (wow I'm surprised it's been around so long) but I think modern times warped the message in between things. It's almost like the original team didn't have a hand in development - but sadly they did.
    Where do you get this. There are no power ups except when they get their angels.
    Belldandy is a bit of an exception, her concious and unconcious powers are a bit different, not to mention her sealed powers.
    Actually, most of my favorites are 20+ years. The other half is 10-15+ years.
    It's no surprise that many anime stuff went into nowadays TV/movies.

AlexT wrote:
    but not sure if there's anything left i haven't seen yet...
    lol
    You're joking right?
    I have seen a bunch and I definitely have only seen half of things out there.
    I guess I have seen more around 300+ series if I compare to some people's listings and numbers.
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Number of posts : 542
    Imperial Credits : 12460

Post by AlexT 5/29/2009, 9:03 am

lol
    You're joking right?
    I have seen a bunch and I definitely have only seen half of things out there.
    I guess I have seen more around 300+ series if I compare to some people's listings and numbers.
    Well, if u forget about all the school/romance/kawai and idiotic stuff, all that is too old and leave only sci-fi, action etc. and more or less mature and quality things - u don't get all that many. It's just like with movies.. there's few i realy like to see, i prefer less "known" movies though...
    For example i tried to browse achrive and saw this anime -Midori's Days.
    Right hand of some guy turns into girl that loved him...now what kind of pervertion is that? Very Happy
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 5/30/2009, 6:48 am

Old doesn't mean it's bad or lesser.
    The good ones always have a mix of manystories and viewpoints. If you go by category you will miss them for sure.
    I haven't watched Midori, but it's not weird. It bet young people like it a lot because this is like a dream.
    Being able to imaging to be merged together with someone you like is better than having an invisible friend, your best friend, your parents even.
    Someone who propably understands you etc.
    Animes&Mangas have always been created with care by their creators with well thought out intensions, that's why they are popular.
    That's why they are the definition of exception compared to 99% of whatever movies, TV shows, cartoons, comics have been doing.
    They have been that until the earlist in 2000. That's when cartoon/music/movies/etc. began to imitate/copy animes.
    By now you should know that I'm very selective, my expectations very high, my judgement very generous, and I don't limit myself to anything except if it's touches on people.
    There aren't many series I have chosen that I dismiss.
    Sure there are crap and shit animes, but those I don't even look at to begin with. Depending on how things have been done, I already know where the series leads withing seconds-minutes or the first ten pages.
    I skip right away or jump/fastforward if I give it the benefit of a doubt.
    And since the quality of newer series has been declining compared to old ones, I don't watch them often.
    That's why I like the classics more.
    Maybe you should consider that you might have chosen the wrong way while actually dismissing the good ones.
    As to exceptional/odd movies, I usually am years ahead before most people. This is an empirical statement. Wink
    Although, this has become shorter with how fast information travels now-a-day compared to 2000.
    But this doesn't change the fact that I pick-up the odds more often.
    Because of all this I told you that my better understanding/knowledge doesn't come from watching scifi that much.
    I admitedly have watched nearly all Star Trek by now, but most after the series were over. I still haven't watch much Stargate or most other scifi which I actually consider crap.
    Babylon 5 is the only other exception of a scifi series that I have watched.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 6/1/2009, 2:18 pm

I only said Kumu.You can interpret how you might.
    Yesterday I saw ep.9 of Ah!My Goddess on the 14th I shall finally be starting vol.3. cheers
    And I really do enjoy shows like AMG,Full Moon and Fancy Lala just as much as I enjoy shows like Ghost In The Shell:Stand Alone Complex,Full Metal Panic and Kiddy Grade. cheers
    Guess one might say I have ecletic tastes. lol!
    Oh...and tommorrow I start re-watching Excel Saga vol.1 to work up to vol.2 and then re-watch vol.4.I need vols. 3,5 & 6 to finish.
    As far as it goes I am still debating wheter to get Madlax or Buso Renkin next.
    Schwenkdawg
    Schwenkdawg
    Rear Flyer
    Rear Flyer

Number of posts : 113
    Imperial Credits : 11498
    Registration date : 2009-03-25

Post by Schwenkdawg 6/2/2009, 2:07 am

If only to toss in my 2 cents, im seriously considering re-watching Zipang. Its an anime about a modern JNSDF aegis class missile defense cruiser tossed back to 1942, and as a history buff, i'll admit to the guilty pleasure of watching it dispatch an entire fighter wing or shoot IJN Yamato's shells out of the sky. If they did a season 2, it'd be entirely worth watching for me (i hear the manga goes further, but i cant be bothered to go out and search for it...its notoriously difficult to find game shops et al in winston-salem north carolina...)
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 6/2/2009, 12:07 pm

IMHO Madlax is better than Buso Renkin (=average)

Zipang....I think it was made as a proppaganda for the japanese Kongo, now named Atago class Aegis destroyers. About the same time the Aegis movie was made.
    The issue was known for years in military circles, they came out around the time when the ships got commissioned. I don't think it's a coincidence even if it's just inspiring.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 6/4/2009, 11:51 am

Well I am still thinking it through.Actually it seems to be $50 for the entire Madlax series vs. $50 for just part of Buso Renkin.Madlax was also done by the same people who did NOIR,if I am not mistaken,so that's a plus. Very Happy
    Though on further reflection I really don't know if I will get either this next time around.It all depends.
    Heck for all I know I shall probably wind up buying Mahromatic instead!!! lol!
    We shall see what happens...keep tuned.
    As far as what I am actually watching:
    saw ep.17 of Fancy Lala yesterday.Today I restart Case 8 of Kiddy Grade.Eclaire FTW!!!! cheers
    JGZinv
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Post by JGZinv 6/4/2009, 12:52 pm

Don't forget to see the AMG 2000 Movie... it rather redeems the series after
    the Fighting Wings OVA.

Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 6/4/2009, 8:44 pm

Hmm, what will it be cats or boneshaking electrifying girls? lol!

JGZinv: Btw. have you seen the original AMG OVA or just the recent series?
    JGZinv
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Post by JGZinv 6/4/2009, 9:25 pm

I didn't get to the original ova yet.... been reading a lot from the
    AMG Unofficial Site.

Schwenkdawg
    Rear Flyer
    Rear Flyer

Post by Schwenkdawg 6/4/2009, 10:16 pm

Almael, what do you mean by propaganda? I mean, sure it makes the aegis system look like total badassery, but thats pretty much what one would expect if a modern cruiser were to be thrown into world war 2, where seeking torpedoes were in their infancy, radar was in its infancy/toddler-ry, and the concept of a heat seeking missile was science fiction at best. taking a ship of those capabilities and pitting it against ww2 enemies would have been devestating, and the only problem would be the finite ammo supply of the weapons on the ship. Its kinda like the movie The Final Countdown, where an american 80s era carrier, with full fighter wing, was thrown back to december 6, 1941, except theres more actual combat.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 6/6/2009, 8:19 pm

The Kongo class was supposed to be the current japanese design with a hangar, but for some reason this was not approved by the parliament. In 2000 approval for the design was finally given, the same year as zippang. Later japan tried to get anti ballistic missiles, which sporned Aegis.

Besides the Aegis system had at first no VLS but only twin missile turret(s). It wasn't a given to have this ability until the russians got it.
    The Aegis is not primary an antiship system, but an antiaircraft system, so is its weaponry mix. Sure the US design had 10x more missiles than the russians. It alone could sink dozens of ships with it's missiles, but not against cannon shells. Such a system is not deployed yet (if we discount the israelis).
    Schwenkdawg
    Schwenkdawg
    Rear Flyer
    Rear Flyer

Post by Schwenkdawg 6/8/2009, 12:40 am

Having no direct knowledge of the Aegis system, i can only speculate, but i would guess that we (the US Navy, and by extension, the JNSDF), probably do have missiles with the capability to shoot shells (especially the 18 inch 45 caliber used by the Yamato class) out of the sky. As for the rest of the anime, even though it IS primarily an anti-aircraft system, any ship built with a purpose that narrow is going to find itself easy pickings in a modern combat scenario, so even if a ship was built with the absolute minimum ASW and ship-to-ship capabilities required by modern combat, it would be more than capable of holding its own against WW2 era subs and ships, which, by modern standards, were noisy and slow...ESPECIALLY the submarines (the Gato/Balao/Tench or GBT class of US submarines was the most widely used in the Pacific theater, with a maximum submerged speed of 8.75 kt and a CRUSH depth of 91 meters...compare that with the modern-day Los Angles class of attack subs, which have a 30+ kt submerged speed and a crush depth of 450 meters) Any system built to combat a submarine of Los Angles class specifications or BETTER (the soviet Alfa class subs could do 40+ kts submerged and a 700 meter crush depth) would find a WW2 era diesel-electric sub easy pickings.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 4/27/2024, 6:53 am