Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.

Kin of the Stars

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Kin of the Stars

A community for the fans of Crest of the Stars, Abh culture, anime, technology, science fiction, video games, and friendly conduct.

+6
Diaho
Ekuryua
tanis1lionheart
Schwenkdawg
AlexT
JGZinv
10 posters

The Ubiquitous What Are You Watching Thread?

AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Number of posts : 542
    Imperial Credits : 12400
    Registration date : 2009-03-18

The Ubiquitous What Are You Watching Thread? - Page 4 Empty Re: The Ubiquitous What Are You Watching Thread?

Post by AlexT 7/13/2009, 8:20 pm

Almael wrote:@Alex: I understand why you thing Code Geass was good (super intelligent psycho guy and strategic tricks) but IMHO there are better older series. This one is just on a psycho trip with IMHO bad strategic tricks (actually a bunch of dumb mistakes not even considered)

examples: Basara, Legends of Galactice Heroes, Starship Operators, and a bunch of pseudo historic chinese/japanese/korean/other world stories.

I just examined the Genji Monogatari Ryuou was so excited about...well, it had pretty colors and was mostly narrative which is true to the original, but it was too concise...
    That's why I prefered to watch the Yoshitsune drama, because I get to see the Heike and japan's only known supposely warrior woman. Yeah, despite all the female heroes in anime Japan actually had only one supposely historic warrior woman.
    Of course, but the trick you learn as you watch anime and good half of modern movies is to ignore those mistakes and have fun. Suppress your intelligence Smile My own imagination helps too. I know anime won't be too complex - it's just not intended to be such by authors (pop thing at play) so they create illusion of complexity/logic/perfection instead since it's not what majority will put under the scope anyway. But just like your allmighty intelligence is capable of finding flaws - it is capable of finding tons of excuses as well, unless show is a total mess. Very Happy Just don't be so logical about anime. Technology, strategy, plots etc are just decoration, just like it is in many books or movies so that's why i said that idea of authors is not clear to me - all of which i mentioned are just the means to illustrate some "important idea", like "love is power", "evil is bad" etc. I also like to view it as if it consist of individual scenes - once you break one long story into shorter episodes many of them will look good unlike the show as a whole.
    Anyway - it realy changed for the worst since when Lelouch defeated Emperor... Now i see that there's no clear character development in this anime and it remained quite "static" after first 10 episodes, rest are just "clever" recombinations of same stuff, some fanservice and attempt to impress audience with how big the picture is. But artist would say that although it got size some detail and color - 2 of 3 perspectives of it are not very good.
    Anyway, i liked characters, humor moments, the atmosphere
    of many scenes and of course a lot of visual stuff like costumes, characters, some millitary units. Oh, and wait - there is one bright idea Zero illustrated, except classical: "All warfare is based on deception" it would be like this: "One thing is always in the way of evil genius - girls and idiots" Very Happy But at least it reminded me of how unhappy those with power are and why i don't want to be among them so just money are fine cheers

I watched Starship Operators, i liked it. I'll check those other ones you mentioned once i get my hands on it bounce
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 2849
    Imperial Credits : 18924

The Ubiquitous What Are You Watching Thread? - Page 4 Empty Re: The Ubiquitous What Are You Watching Thread?

Post by Almael 7/13/2009, 9:07 pm

AlexT wrote:
    Suppress your intelligence Smile
    If it were that easy. These things just pop up, I don't need to think to see. Can't suppress it, although my thought processes are pretty much turned off when I watch these. Otherwise I wouldn't relax or enjoy it as freetime.

I understand those concepts and the things that need be done to get to where it needs to go, but if they actually show the weakness...that's an error in itself. The good ones always have a good reason not to have those even if somehow happenstands. The worst are those that look too much artificially arranged. I admit, I have seen lots of well done and amazing interwoven event stories, that I expect a lot. Usually, I don't complain much but if I do there are always reasons beyond the obvious.

AlexT wrote:
    Now i see that there's no clear character development in this anime and it remained quite "static" after first 10 episodes, rest are just "clever" recombinations of same stuff, some fanservice and attempt to impress audience with how big the picture is. But artist would say that although it got size some detail and color - 2 of 3 perspectives of it are not very good.
    Well, there is some development at the very end (last two episodes)
    Nowaday that fanservice is pretty normal, and, well, just ignored/forgotten/unnoticed.

Anyway, i liked characters, humor moments, the atmosphere
    of many scenes and of course a lot of visual stuff like costumes, characters, some millitary units.
    Um, well, pretty standard, though.

Oh, and wait - there is one bright idea Zero illustrated, except classical: "All warfare is based on deception" it would be like this: "One thing is always in the way of evil genius - girls and idiots" Very Happy
    Do the interesting quotes for the quote thread we have here.

I watched Starship Operators, i liked it. I'll check those other ones you mentioned once i get my hands on it bounce
    And check Legend of Arilan/Arlan also a nice one. The other lot are too much to bother.
    Also if you want good characters, stories, fun stuff, social events go read/watch KOR(Kimagure Orange Road), City Hunter, Angel Heart, Ranma...
    They may be old but you will see each one has all the elements and all the stories you will (ever) see in numerous later animes. And then there are the rare stories only ...
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 4168
    Imperial Credits : 17782
    Registration date : 2009-04-10

Post by mitsuki lover 7/16/2009, 11:39 am

Everyone ought to see KOR at least once.Particuliarly the original '80s version.
    Really fun story.I happen to be a Hikaru/Kyousuke shipper though most are
    Madoka/Kyousuke shippers.
    Anyway one thing I hate is when people tend to overanalyse everything.I think overanalysing tends to kill some of the fun.
    As far as it goes I have re-started vol.2 of Full Moon.Had a bit of problem with the DVD player but after cleaning the disc off twice it worked ok,I think one of these days I will have to replace the DVD player with a blu ray disc player if I can afford one.
    I just sent away for vols.1,3,4 & 6 of Madlax so you can cross that off the list of things to buy for now.
    btw:Anyone interested in checking out the Dual forum we could use some new members there.Just a plug,I said I would mention it here when I posted there yesterday.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 7/16/2009, 1:33 pm

mitsuki lover wrote:Everyone ought to see KOR at least once.Particuliarly the original '80s version.
    There is no other, though, after all Shin KOR isn't really a different series.

mitsuki lover wrote:
    Really fun story.I happen to be a Hikaru/Kyousuke shipper though most are
    Madoka/Kyousuke shippers.
    Anyway one thing I hate is when people tend to overanalyse everything.I think overanalysing tends to kill some of the fun.
    Madoka is top anime woman of all time. Wink
    Hikaru is too loli. Laughing

Shocked Where do you get that idea? I never heard anyone overanalyzing KOR. Most keep quiet because KOR is IMHO dangerous to other animes.

mitsuki lover wrote:
    btw:Anyone interested in checking out the Dual forum we could use some new members there.Just a plug,I said I would mention it here when I posted there yesterday.
    Do I get the artefact ship if I join? ^_^
    tanis1lionheart
    tanis1lionheart
    Front Flyer
    Front Flyer

Number of posts : 198
    Imperial Credits : 11552
    Registration date : 2009-05-06

Post by tanis1lionheart 7/23/2009, 11:40 am

I've been watching too many romantic comedies as of late.

>_<

To Love Ru, Karin, ect.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 7/24/2009, 2:51 pm

Well I didn't mean KOR in particuliar,I was just stating that I think there are some people with way too much free time who tend to try to find hidden symbols and meanings in every little bit of dialogue or scene.You could take anything on tv, and not just anime, and ten to one there's someone out there trying to work some secret meaning into it.
    As far as Hikaru goes,I think that what it comes to is that she really needs Kyouske more than Madoka does.Madoka's a pretty independent gal when it comes down to it.On the other hand Hikaru tends to need someone,wheter it was Madoka when they were little or Kyousuke now.It seems to be her personality.She's not as tough as she pretends at times.

Currently I have just finished NOIR vol.1 and moving up to vol.4.Today more Tenchi.For the week I have watched:
    Nuku Nuku tv vol.1 ep.1
    Gundam OO(Ani-Monday)
    Ravemaster(Ani-Monday)*
    Ravemaster
    Full Moon vol.2 ep.6
    NOIR vol.1 ep.5
    now tonight more Tenchi ep.10
    tommorrow Slayers Try vol.1 ep.4
    Sunday Ah!My Goddess vol.4 ep.17
    Next week go to Spokane and hope to get Buso Renkin but right now sitting around waiting for Madlax to get here.
    *Ani-Monday has been renewed for a third season by Syfy.
    Ekuryua
    Ekuryua
    3rd class crewman
    3rd class crewman

Number of posts : 14
    Imperial Credits : 10995
    Registration date : 2009-03-23

Post by Ekuryua 7/25/2009, 1:59 am

I'm currently watching Gurren Lagann.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 7/29/2009, 12:06 pm

Finished vol.2 of Excel Saga yesterday with ep.9 'Bowling Girls'.The return of Kobayashi Excel and the other Hyatt.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 8/3/2009, 2:44 pm

Finally got Buso Renkin boxset I last week.It cost me $54 and some cents and now I am hitting myself because I could of got it cheaper by ordering from Rightstuf...live and learn.Anyways finished Ah!My Goddess vol.4 with ep.18 yesterday so on to Adventures of The Mini-Goddess:The Belldandy Files next week and when I am done with that The Skuld Files and that will be that for AMG for this time around.Is it five or six volumes for AMG season 1?
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 8/3/2009, 5:13 pm

Uhm, you mean the new TV seasons, right? Then yes season 1 is 6 DVD's.
    The OVA was 2 DVD or 5 episodes. (recommended ep4&5)
    I don't remember the mini goddess series, the mices etc. that well.
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT 8/4/2009, 5:18 am

Watching Claymore. I didn't have any high expectations for this one but it slowly began to be very interesting. Unusual anime...i should check what studio made it, i like the style.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 8/4/2009, 10:52 am

If you like Claymore, then you will like Berserk, but I recommend Angel Densetsu.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 8/5/2009, 2:31 pm

Waiting for Madlax to get here.It should come around next week or so some time,if I added everything up right.
    By the end of the month I am going to order I's.Also hope to get Chobits.
    Ending Full Moon vol.2 tonight and re-started Excel Saga vol.4 yesterday.
    JGZinv
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 681
    Imperial Credits : 12582
    Registration date : 2009-03-17

Post by JGZinv 8/10/2009, 6:16 pm

I watched Blue Sub 6 again for nostalgia.... it's been so very long since it was on Toonami.

AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT 8/11/2009, 6:10 am

Yep, Blue Sub 6 is nice, i liked it too.
    Finished watching Claymore - great anime. While it doesn't have anything extraordinary and is just japanise version of "The Witcher" - it still feels very good. Great character design, mood/atmosphere and of course - the best kind of work in the world. Very Happy "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster"

Now i'm gonna watch something called "Parasite dolls"...

Last edited by AlexT on 8/11/2009, 8:04 am; edited 1 time in total
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 8/11/2009, 7:11 am

Uh, AD Police, well, the ova were good, but the series was like dirty harry mix with other typical psycho stuff. Parasite Doll seems to based on the ova, so I would be interested in your opinion.

As to rewatching, I recently took up Burt Angel, which I ditched years earlier because of lack of interesting. Well, it does get interesting in the second half and in a handful episodes only (4). Anyway, the staff obviously really liked Django and its music, which was great as homage, but that's it. Ah, it's been so long since I watched Django....it would have made my parents nostalgic, too. The homage would also have been perfect if there was also Ringo. Laughing
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 8/14/2009, 11:36 am

Nearly done with vol.4 of NOIR only have ep.16 left to watch next week and then on to MADLAX.
    Ep.15,"The Cold Blooded Killer Act 1" had one of the best cliff hangers I've seen in a long time.
    I bet Shaoli is a real killer on dates!
    Let's see..I also started vol.3 of Full Moon(finally),and re-watched ep.16 of Excel Saga.
    Tonight finish Tenchi and start three weeks of Tenchi Universe next week(I only got the one vol. of Tenchi Universe...blame it on Mihoshi!!!)
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 8/25/2009, 7:38 am

Since, I haven't any new series of interest to watch recently I went back to some old stuff I have been mostly skipped. The type of old style rocketeer heroes...
    Kamen Raider: Well, I still am skipping it Laughing
    Guyver: this is the guy version of Cutey Honey, biotech instead of nanotech.
    Casshan: a true old style robot science fiction from good old past scifi
    tanis1lionheart
    tanis1lionheart
    Front Flyer
    Front Flyer

Post by tanis1lionheart 8/26/2009, 6:27 pm

801st Air.

Pretty decent.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 8/27/2009, 10:00 am

tanis1lionheart wrote:801st Air.
    "Airbats!....Airbats...." Laughing
    Since we are at it
    "Hummingbirds! Hummingbirds!"
    IDF=Idol Defence Force
    Yeesshhh! Laughing
    tanis1lionheart
    tanis1lionheart
    Front Flyer
    Front Flyer

Post by tanis1lionheart 8/27/2009, 5:28 pm

Almael wrote:
    tanis1lionheart wrote:801st Air.
    "Airbats!....Airbats...." Laughing
    Since we are at it
    "Hummingbirds! Hummingbirds!"
    IDF=Idol Defence Force
    Yeesshhh! Laughing
    Yes, Airbats...Japanese propaganda.
    Very Happy

Don't recall IDF.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 8/28/2009, 8:47 am

Idol Defense Force Hummingbird
    Was done about the same time. Wink
    Isn't it nice if all the men and women in the services were all nice idols? Laughing
    Wonder how battle would have become.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 8/28/2009, 2:50 pm

Finally saw Madlax ep.1,'Gun Dance' yesterday.Favorite line:
    Madlax:"I think I shall have pasta when I get home.I think I shall have pasta."
    So far so good,and since this was from the same folk who gave us NOIR you know that the guns and other weaponry were going to be realistic enough,down to the tank.
    Plus the same seiyuu that played Kirika in NOIR played Margaret in Madlax(Margaret doesn't make her appearance though until next week in ep.2,'Red Moon'.)
    As far as Wednesday at the mall went:
    I failed to find Chobits,on the other hand I did find and get the following:
    Madlax vol.2:The Red Book(so now all I need to complete the series is to get vols.5 and 7)
    MahoRomantic:Atuomatic Maid S2 vol.1:Something More Beautiful
    Neon Genesis Evangelion Plantium vol.7(my avvie is happy now!!!!)
    Neo-Ranga vol.3:The Rights of Kings
    Geneshaft vol.2:halo(YES!finally about time...missed this series.)
    Basically Chobits is #1 on my need to get list.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 9/4/2009, 2:15 pm

It so happens that I had the time to watch 'the sky crawlers' which I had lying around for months.
    It's a story in an alternative history of the world with a mix of technology, life styles ranging from WWII to 70's. In this world a war of corporations is waged in the name of nation blocks...
    Anyway, the aircrafts are nicely made and airial actions are close to impossible.
    They are obviouslzy inspired by japanese & german x-planes and some famous ww2 aircraft and later.
    The clues to the background are so obvious so i'm not going into them, but all the reason given are true.
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT 9/4/2009, 7:17 pm

Let's see, since it's my hard earned 24 day vacation i was watching more anime than usualy, let's see:
    Parasite Dolls aka A.D. Police: good atmosphere of older sci-fi, good artists work, ideas not new. Nothing grandpa Asimov haven't figured out so long ago though Wink
    Tears of Tiara - nothing new in fantasy world, but cute characters.
    Both M.D. Geits movies - well...cool atmosphere and tech design but i have no idea what main hero tried to accomplish.
    Veksill - this while pretty good toon shaded 3D reminds me of something i been thinking for a long time - Japanese animators often try to make illusion of greater, deeper meaning ...which is actualy not there - just the attempt to pursuade audience that it's a lot smarter than it actualy is by not explaining/showing some things, leaving meaningless hints etc. If i'm wrong - throw a granade at me Wink

I'm going to try Bubblegum Crisis now - something i missed long ago and something else i realy want to see just to learn it's graphics: something called "Stray Dogs Howling in the Dark". Just by looking at cover (http://animebox.com.ua/uploads/posts/2009-06/1244137545_dogshainecast.jpg) i can see it's not done in Retas (vector based animation programm used for 95% of Anime you seen) but it feels more like hand/raster/photoshop drawing- something i like more and better at Wink

Oh, and I want new season of Claymore

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 3/28/2024, 7:40 am