Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.

Kin of the Stars

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Kin of the Stars

A community for the fans of Crest of the Stars, Abh culture, anime, technology, science fiction, video games, and friendly conduct.

+6
Diaho
Ekuryua
tanis1lionheart
Schwenkdawg
AlexT
JGZinv
10 posters

The Ubiquitous What Are You Watching Thread?

Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 2849
    Imperial Credits : 18988
    Registration date : 2009-03-18

The Ubiquitous What Are You Watching Thread? - Page 8 Empty Re: The Ubiquitous What Are You Watching Thread?

Post by Almael 2/16/2010, 3:24 pm

Almael 11 Feb 2010 wrote:Forget VG Neo; it's hentai despite what reviews say.

I watched some Tactics. It's all about apanese folklore adjusted to the anime more or less but you should get the gis. Well, you may have trouble if you are not too familiar, so be attentive to what's being said. Other than that it's normal bishonen with the paranormal theme.

I will try to get my hands on Texhnolyze and borrow a newer mecha series "Flag" from someone; an older mecha series "Layzner" OVA and a new (last year) sentai-genre movie "Jikuu Keisatsu Hyperion".
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 4195
    Imperial Credits : 17873
    Registration date : 2009-04-10

The Ubiquitous What Are You Watching Thread? - Page 8 Empty Re: The Ubiquitous What Are You Watching Thread?

Post by mitsuki lover 2/22/2010, 3:20 pm

I finished Kashimashi yesterday with the Christmas Special that was tagged in as ep.13.Very nice ending. The Ubiquitous What Are You Watching Thread? - Page 8 Icon_cheers
    Next Sunday I will re-start vol.1 of Gad Guard.So for the next several weeks I will watch three mechas per week:
    Sakura Wars
    Dual
    Gad Guard
    This week I finish Eva.I also start vol.2 of a certain Sci Fi series featuring a certain character initial Lafiel. The Ubiquitous What Are You Watching Thread? - Page 8 Lol
    Yeah,I'm finally starting Banner II,me idiot didn't order vol.1 when I could,though for my defense Rightstuf only had vol.2 and 3 listed.
    on a side note:looks like our library is starting a anime club.It's limited to 13-18 years old though.
    They list the following as some of what they plan on showing:
    Spirited Away
    Cardcaptor Sakura
    Ah!My Goddess
    Escaflowne
    Macross Plus
    Toward The Terra
    Only one I haven't seen is Toward The Terra.
    JGZinv
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 681
    Imperial Credits : 12646
    Registration date : 2009-03-17

Post by JGZinv 2/22/2010, 4:13 pm

You should try to get them to play The Place Promised in Our Early Days.
    Such a imagery filled movie.

Spirited away is ok I guess but it's easily the least of Miyazaki's movies.
    Howl's Movie Castle, Nauusica and the valley of the Wind, Castle in the Sky,
    just about any other title is better than Spirited Away...

Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 2/22/2010, 8:19 pm

Toward the Tarra is good, but since you will watch over several gernerations in a handfull of episodes, it feels a bit unsatisfied.

Finished Flag. It may start a bit slow and strange but it's in a way a work of art.
    The mecha design is similar to IGPX, Eureka 7, and Gunhead.
    The end has a twist similar to Tactics. You may not want to watch the last episodes of both (if you knew).

mitsuki lover wrote:
    on a side note:looks like our library is starting a anime club.It's limited to 13-18 years old though.
    BS!! The Ubiquitous What Are You Watching Thread? - Page 8 Icon_mad Where is equality! Laughing

Add Wings of Honneamis, Memories, Kiki's Delivery Service, Legend of Arslan, The sound of her voice etc. (at least these don't have much gore)
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 2/24/2010, 2:54 pm

Well from the pamphlet it says they're using titles recommended at The Anime Cafe's Parents' Guide To Anime.Incidentally it says apparently they will meet every third saturday but don't list when the first meeting is. The Ubiquitous What Are You Watching Thread? - Page 8 Icon_scratch
    Finally got to see Banner II ep.5 'Rebellion' yesterday night.For a moment was confused as to which side the Director was on,forgot that
    Lobnas II was a conquered UMK world.I mean the way he and Jinto got along you'd think they were on the same side until Jinto got to mentioning how after all the personnel were safely off planet they would be taken to a P.O.W. camp.(Ah!What I get for not having vol.1)
    My one regret was not enough Lafiel in that episode.Only 2 scenes with her in it.At least I'm not a Sobash fan...she wasn't in it at all!
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 2/25/2010, 6:29 pm

If it's the Parents' Guide I think I have seen somewhere then that one is full of BS and completely wrong reviews. I mean not even having the dates right or even realizing a series being 30 years old and saying it's a cheap new one....

Oh yeah, you must get Bots II disc one, that's where all the good negotiation dialogues are. The Ubiquitous What Are You Watching Thread? - Page 8 Icon_twisted

Layzner OVA looks better than the original but still can't get to like this 50's esque scifi.
    The story is nearly the same as the later Tekkaman Blade, which is newer, but Tekkaman the space knight is older.

EDIT:
    It's the first time I jumped on a new series just days after broadcast but I could not hold back after having waited for so long. Laughing
    Gundam Unicorn is well done, as expected. The Ubiquitous What Are You Watching Thread? - Page 8 Icon_biggrin Can't wait to see more of the evil woman.
    Senso! The Ubiquitous What Are You Watching Thread? - Page 8 Icon_twisted
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 3/1/2010, 3:30 pm

Well they haven't seemed to have added any new material to The Parents'Guide,at least not since I was a member of the Anime Cafe Forum.For example I haven't seen any reviews of Death Note or Monster or any other newer titles.And I do go there every so often to take a peek at what they have,or maybe I haven't noticed anything new lately.
    I need to get Grenadier out of my system so if I find it at Suncoast on Friday I will probably buy it if not maybe Scrapped Princess or something else.Then again I never know what I will end up buying. The Ubiquitous What Are You Watching Thread? - Page 8 Icon_cat
    Saw the finale to Eva on Saturday.It makes better sense in the subbed version.
    Yesterday I started Gad Guard vol.1.If you like Cool Cowboy Bebop style with equally cool Jazz music...
    The Ubiquitous What Are You Watching Thread? - Page 8 Icon_cheers
    Blood,The Last Vampire is supposed to be on
    Ani-monday tonight. The Ubiquitous What Are You Watching Thread? - Page 8 Icon_cheers Saya!!!!!
    tanis1lionheart
    tanis1lionheart
    Front Flyer
    Front Flyer

Number of posts : 198
    Imperial Credits : 11616
    Registration date : 2009-05-06

Post by tanis1lionheart 3/3/2010, 12:07 pm

Finished up 'Futurama'.

Working on 'Gargoyles'...next DS9.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 3/8/2010, 3:39 pm

Friday watched Vol.05 "Interlude" of Boogiepop Phantom.This is the one with the two cops talking,it also formally introduces Manaka,aka "Butterfly Girl".Poon Poon shows up in the end.
    Saturday started vol.1 Visions with ep.1 "Life Sympathy" of a certain show entitled Dual!Parallel Trouble Adventure again.Yeah every time I see that scene with the Lingerie Shop I have to really The Ubiquitous What Are You Watching Thread? - Page 8 Lol .Guess Kazuki would rather face the horde than be caught dead there.Though I did notice how ubiquitous Dr.Rara seemed to be in the Real World.I mean the guy was like the Borg...he was EVERYWHERE!
    Sunday ep.2 "Putting The Pieces Together"of
    Gad guard.This one introduces the two policewomen,and also the first fight between Katana and Hajiki.
    As far as what I got on my buying expedition:
    at Suncoast I was able to get Grenadier and
    Last Exile and at Borders Hayate:The Combat Butler.
    Grenadier was the complete collection for $29.99 including mini-Rushuna figurine.Last Exile was vol.2 'Positional Play' for only $4.99 used.
    Hayate I got with a coupon.
    JGZinv
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Post by JGZinv 3/29/2010, 9:23 pm

Well I started Ai Yori Aoshi...

tanis1lionheart
    Front Flyer
    Front Flyer

Post by tanis1lionheart 3/30/2010, 5:52 am

AMV Hell

I really need to finish Gargoyles and start Seaquest, Louis & Clark, and a few random anime movies.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 4/5/2010, 2:35 pm

They have seaQuest on dvd now? The Ubiquitous What Are You Watching Thread? - Page 8 Icon_scratch
    I just saw ep.2 of Grenadier yesterday.Poor Yajiro,Rushuna keeps calling him Yatchan.Not only that but in this episode he had the indiginity of being called:"Bath Boy".
    The Ubiquitous What Are You Watching Thread? - Page 8 Lol
    I love the fact that Rushuna is such a ditz until she gets pissed off and goes into Serious Fight Mode.
    Aside from Yajiro's:"Don't call me 'Bath Boy'!"
    my favorite line was Rushuna's:"No smiles tonight."when she goes after Koto's kidnappers.
    tanis1lionheart
    tanis1lionheart
    Front Flyer
    Front Flyer

Post by tanis1lionheart 4/5/2010, 4:55 pm

Nah, SeaQuest isn't all out on DVD.
    Megaupload FTW!

Grenadier is a cute, if a little awkward, series.

I'm on Season 2 of 'Lois & Clark'.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 4/6/2010, 9:15 am

I always wondered why SeaQuest hasn't been available for all this time....
    The bonus point for SQ was having a navigator dolphine. The Galaxy class ships in StarTrek was supposed to have some too, but we never saw them. I wonder where ST got that idea from, the sowjets (later us) or Flipper or later anime/manga?
    JGZinv
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Post by JGZinv 4/6/2010, 4:07 pm

Well finished Kiddy Girl And - at least the ending was semi decent.
    Still can't figure out who Mi-nou san is at the end... he's got an old GTO cruiser
    which was Eclipse's I think.

K-ON season 2 evident was just started... watching the op (it's still raw no subs)
    but geesh... the op song is grating on the nerves... like a radio in a blender.
    I hope they aren't just cashing in on it's quick success and gave the show due polish...

Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 4/7/2010, 11:19 am

Maybe jazz or 60's retro would fit for the K-On band, but I guess that's outdated Laughing

Watched Hyperion, ...well, it was technically ok. I only wish the japanese would get rid of their 'cultural' poses/moves which not only drags it down but takes away the fluid actions. They should really work on more natural acting.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 4/7/2010, 11:50 am

Finished Banner II with the Passage of the Stars:Birth bonus episode.Loved the way the end credits segue into Crest by showing the famous first meeting between Jinto and Lafiel from her perspective. The Ubiquitous What Are You Watching Thread? - Page 8 Icon_biggrin
    Though I do wonder when Lafiel learned Plakia was her mother.
    Anyways next week on to Last Exile vol.2.
    And today I am ordering more Gundam:
    Wing vols.1,6 & 7 and Original DVD 3.
    The first were $3 each and the last $4. The Ubiquitous What Are You Watching Thread? - Page 8 Icon_cheers
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 4/15/2010, 2:28 pm

I fanally heeded someone's urging to watch Nodame. I have seen it lying around for years but never looked inside. Well, the first 1/3 of eps1 was weird, probably because I turned of my brain for fairness (or I would have ditched it the moment it turned on). So I endured that long then when the main character's life turned miserable the show started to shine. I haven't laughed that much over an anime in a while. I look forward to watch the rest.
    tanis1lionheart
    tanis1lionheart
    Front Flyer
    Front Flyer

Post by tanis1lionheart 4/16/2010, 1:59 am

Almael wrote:I always wondered why SeaQuest hasn't been available for all this time....
    The bonus point for SQ was having a navigator dolphine. The Galaxy class ships in StarTrek was supposed to have some too, but we never saw them. I wonder where ST got that idea from, the sowjets (later us) or Flipper or later anime/manga?
    I think it's because it's a time period popularity.
    When it was released everyone was into all that 'save the oceans and, look! TITANIC!'.

There's also an issue of how much money they can make from DVD sales.

I've been kicking through DBZ. Never watched it, or GT, from start to finish before.
    But, I'm skipping lots of crap, some episodes I only get about 5min of watching done, and go at 1.1x to 1.5x speeds.

I'm a tab burnt out, but I did get to the Garlic Jr saga.
    JGZinv
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Post by JGZinv 4/18/2010, 9:16 am

Watched S1 of Initial D... started into s2.

Diaho
    Recruite
    Recruite

Number of posts : 1
    Imperial Credits : 10275
    Registration date : 2010-04-06

Post by Diaho 4/19/2010, 12:31 am

( star trek memory alpha on space navigating whales)

• On pp. 44-45, it is stated that guidance and navigation research
      is conducted by a cetacean crew of twelve Bottlenose Dolphins (Tursiops truncatus) and Pacific Bottlenose Dolphins (Tursiops truncatus gilli), overseen by two Takaya's Whales (Orcinus orca takayai).
      The "Takaya's Whale" is not a real whale, but a homage to a fictional
      character, Noriko Takaya, by Rick Sternbach. Sternbach is a professed
      fan of the Japanese animated series Aim For the Top! Gunbuster. In this series, "espers and electronic-brained [bottlenose] dolphins" navigate the Excelion, the main spaceship of the heroine Noriko Takaya. (Sternbach also references the Excelion in the manual in the
      compound "excelion-infused carbonitrium".)
      In a StarTrekUK.com
    • interview, Sternbach explains the cetecean connection:
    "The TNG Tech Manual definitely talks about a combined Orcinus orca takaya and Tursiops truncatus population on the ship to work out navigation problems (and more likely alien language challenges!).
    "We never got to show them in an episode, since the
    expense would have been prohibitive, but we did convince the writers to
    have Geordi ask a visiting official if they ever saw the dolphins.
    During "Yesterday's Enterprise",
    an intercom call was heard asking Dr. Joshua
    Kim
    to report to CetaceanOps.

"The dolphins and whales were my idea from the start;
    I’m convinced that, even if they’re not intelligent enough to pilot a
    starship, they can still teach us a few things about other life forms.
    "

-memory alpha wiki (http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Star_Trek%3A_The_Next_Generation_Technical_Manual)

So "Aim for the Top! Gunbuster" anime series inspired the mythic galaxy class space whales

btw, I also love wolf and spice/ eden of the east. Just rewatched "hanbun no tsuki ga noboru sora" now looking for subbed live action adaptation.
    JGZinv
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Post by JGZinv 4/19/2010, 3:09 am

Cleared Inital D s1 and s2... will work through s3 slower this week.

mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 4/20/2010, 3:24 pm

Well on Friday I saw ep.11 'Under Gravity's Rainbow' on Boogiepop Phantom which told it from Manaka/Echoe's pov.This Friday I end BP for this time around.
    Saturday saw ep.7 'Hard Case' on Dual,I swear MS can be as stubbornly rash as Asuka!
    If Commander Sanada hadn't ordered her to stand down,she most likely would have caused an 'incident'.
    Sunday finished disc 1 of Grenadier with ep. 4
    'The Town That Couldn't Laugh'Yajiro's hatred of senshis didn't seem to rattle Rushuna as much as finding out that someone she trusted betrayed her.
    Today is another ep. of Last Exile. The Ubiquitous What Are You Watching Thread? - Page 8 Icon_cheers
    Oh and on my last excursion to Suncoast I got:
    UFO Princess Valkyrie S2 vol.1 'Washing Up And Wigging Out'
    MahoRomantic:Summer Special
    Trinity Blood Chapter III Collector's Edition(this last was used)
    Also saw Eva 1.0 and 1.11 on the shelves.
    though my biggest coup of the day was finding:
    vol.1-2 of the re-issue of the SILENT MOBIUS manga!!!!!! The Ubiquitous What Are You Watching Thread? - Page 8 Icon_cheers The Ubiquitous What Are You Watching Thread? - Page 8 Icon_cheers The Ubiquitous What Are You Watching Thread? - Page 8 Icon_cheers The Ubiquitous What Are You Watching Thread? - Page 8 Icon_cheers The Ubiquitous What Are You Watching Thread? - Page 8 Icon_cheers
    JGZinv
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Post by JGZinv 4/20/2010, 6:40 pm

There should be a fanfic that explores what would have happened had such an "incident" occurred.

mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 4/22/2010, 5:00 pm

For one thing Ayuko could claim people's sympathy since it would have been the EDF that broke the treaty.A sympathetic Ayuko boggles the mind! The Ubiquitous What Are You Watching Thread? - Page 8 Icon_eek
    I still would like to see a Silent Mobius/Voyager crossover or a Seikai/Next Gen.crossover.I wanna see how Spoor would deal with those nasty Borg! The Ubiquitous What Are You Watching Thread? - Page 8 Lol
    Back on subject:Tonight I start Hayate The Combat Butler.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 4/29/2024, 11:21 am