Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.

Kin of the Stars

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Kin of the Stars

A community for the fans of Crest of the Stars, Abh culture, anime, technology, science fiction, video games, and friendly conduct.

+6
Diaho
Ekuryua
tanis1lionheart
Schwenkdawg
AlexT
JGZinv
10 posters

The Ubiquitous What Are You Watching Thread?

Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 2849
    Imperial Credits : 18924
    Registration date : 2009-03-18

The Ubiquitous What Are You Watching Thread? - Page 7 Empty Re: The Ubiquitous What Are You Watching Thread?

Post by Almael 12/11/2009, 1:38 pm

Ranma's mother apears at the end of the TV series (Season 7). Must see! She appears earlier in the manga and a bit more often, too. The animation is pretty much compressed but still covered it all.

The Ubiquitous What Are You Watching Thread? - Page 7 Th_Ranma03-17-m001
    The Ubiquitous What Are You Watching Thread? - Page 7 Th_Ranma03-17-m002
    Hail, Akane's unsurpassed cooking. The Ubiquitous What Are You Watching Thread? - Page 7 Lol
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Number of posts : 542
    Imperial Credits : 12400

The Ubiquitous What Are You Watching Thread? - Page 7 Empty Re: The Ubiquitous What Are You Watching Thread?

Post by AlexT 12/12/2009, 4:18 pm

Still watching Gantz...like it more now - i see it's not action but psychological thriller but i was never good at guessing genres Smile

I'm going to watch the "Alita" anime and read manga soon, a guy i know is a fan of it so he provided everything. I guess i'll give it try. It seem to be quite popular anime/manga of this genre... At least look - even James Cameron likes it (the shirt he's wearing during making of Avatar):

The Ubiquitous What Are You Watching Thread? - Page 7 James-cameron-avatar-sam
    I didn't know Cameron is into anime/manga, but i guess it explains a lot then Smile

Almael, did you read/watch it? I know you're into this genre a lot so you should know Wink
    tanis1lionheart
    tanis1lionheart
    Front Flyer
    Front Flyer

Number of posts : 198
    Imperial Credits : 11552
    Registration date : 2009-05-06

Post by tanis1lionheart 12/12/2009, 4:37 pm

I'm kicking through 'Desert Punk', not bad at all.

I'm going to TRY and watch all of the 'Batte Flag of the Stars' anime in dub.

After that is my yearly watch of 'Vision of Escaflowne'.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 12/12/2009, 9:56 pm

AlexT wrote:Still watching Gantz...like it more now - i see it's not action but psychological thriller but i was never good at guessing genres Smile
    Well, this guy is certainly into babes...not that I care The Ubiquitous What Are You Watching Thread? - Page 7 Icon_twisted

I'm going to watch the "Alita" anime and read manga soon, a guy i know is a fan of it so he provided everything.
    Almael, did you read/watch it? I know you're into this genre a lot so you should know Wink
    You know what you're talking about?
    Gunnm is the grandmother of modern cybernetics gentre. I was there when it happened of course, same time as gits etc. Ever since her knife has been copied over and over.....
    There is no star trek or scifi producer who doesn't know.

tanis1lionheart wrote:
    After that is my yearly watch of 'Vision of Escaflowne'.
    The Ubiquitous What Are You Watching Thread? - Page 7 Icon_eek I like Escaflown to a certain point but every year. Hat off.

The dub of bots is ok I guess, just don't watch cots or bots after another. The difference is just to much.
    tanis1lionheart
    tanis1lionheart
    Front Flyer
    Front Flyer

Post by tanis1lionheart 12/13/2009, 1:00 am

Almael wrote:
    tanis1lionheart wrote:After that is my yearly watch of 'Vision of Escaflowne'.
    The Ubiquitous What Are You Watching Thread? - Page 7 Icon_eek I like Escaflown to a certain point but every year. Hat off.
    The dub of bots is ok I guess, just don't watch cots or bots after another. The difference is just to much.
    It was my first anime that I KNEW was anime and, in a way, was the stepping stone to a lot of what I am (hobby wise) today.

After renting a DVD(?) of it I was also introduced to other animes like Crest of the Stars & Blue Submarine No6.

It was 'Yoko Kanno' which got me out of shitty pop/country music & less into oldies (though I still love them) and into anime/video game music.

The first song I downloaded off of 'Napster' -remember when it was free?- was 'Shadow of Doubt'.

To the tune of Shadow of Doubt I wrote my first piece of casual/enjoyment writing (2 poems and lyrics that went with the song).

So, in a lot of ways, TVoE is my 'anime that made me an anime fan'.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    >>
    <<
    TL;DR?
    It popped my freaking cherry.
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT 12/14/2009, 9:03 am

Almael wrote:
    Well, this guy is certainly into babes...not that I care The Ubiquitous What Are You Watching Thread? - Page 7 Icon_twisted
    The Ubiquitous What Are You Watching Thread? - Page 7 Icon_eek What do you mean? Me or the character? There's not many "babes" in it and the only one there is not exactly for my taste and it doesn't seem the story is fixed too much on "romance"..
    Still - it gives good psychological "pressure", almost like TEXHNOLYZE (which is gread anime anyhow) and i like it - the feeling that there won't be fairytale makes you worry for characters.

You know what you're talking about?
    Gunnm is the grandmother of modern cybernetics gentre. I was there when it happened of course, same time as gits etc. Ever since her knife has been copied over and over.....
    There is no star trek or scifi producer who doesn't know.
    Wow, i didn't know that The Ubiquitous What Are You Watching Thread? - Page 7 Icon_biggrin For some reason there's no hype that could tell me "that's important thing of the genre" though i did watch a few episodes of anime - i think i couldn't get more back then...For some reason i though Japanese cyberpunk really started with GITS but it seems this one came out earlier..

Somehow i feel like i watch totaly different anime than everyone else here and only Almael seen everything Very Happy
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 12/14/2009, 10:28 am

AlexT wrote:
    Almael wrote:
    The Ubiquitous What Are You Watching Thread? - Page 7 Icon_eek What do you mean?
    There's not many "babes"
    The artist. Well, they all kind of look-a-like.

Wow, i didn't know that The Ubiquitous What Are You Watching Thread? - Page 7 Icon_biggrin For some reason there's no hype that could tell me "that's important thing of the genre" though i did watch a few episodes of anime - i think i couldn't get more back then...For some reason i though Japanese cyberpunk really started with GITS but it seems this one came out earlier..
    *Ahem* The good old ones are rarely talked about because the new ones are always up front Wink
    Japanese Cyberpunk has been around since the early 80' as long as they ever have existed in this world. Akira is the earliest western known one, but there are older ones. Gits just follows on AppleSeed.
    There are BubbleGum crysis, Tokyo Babylon, Southern Cross, Votoms etc.
    So stuff like Matrix and other Keanu reef scifi had already been explored before those movies. Wink

Somehow i feel like i watch totaly different anime than everyone else here and only Almael seen everything Very Happy
    I have seen the good ones and I know people who seen 2-3x much more.
    Also I have seen anime since ever I can remember, I only became a fan in my teens thanks to computer and internet and just at the right time for gits.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 4168
    Imperial Credits : 17782
    Registration date : 2009-04-10

Post by mitsuki lover 12/14/2009, 3:41 pm

I saw ep.3 "Hazuna's Heart Yasuna's Heart"on Kashimashi yesterday and also saw a bit of the seiyuu's talking about Yasuna on the VA Interviews that came with the DVD.Kinda interesting that she (i.e.Yasuna)has that blind spot where all males are literally a black blur to her.Maybe Mr.Space Alien and Jun Puu ought to examine her.
    Speaking of Jun Puu,I can see where she might end up stealing the show.I loved the way she calls Hazuna "Sister Brother"
    My favorite scene was Namiko-sensei giving the English lesson and going off on a tirade of how she's 35 and doesn't have a boyfriend and the students calmly copy what she says because at the beginning of class she says:"Repeat after me!"
    hmmm...is she related to Yukari-sensei from Azumanga Daioh!?I'd like to see a school with those two teaching together.That be one heck of a weird school!
    Speaking of copying,why does Chii copy everything that Hedeki does in ep.2 of Chobits?Is that part of her learning process?
    JGZinv
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 681
    Imperial Credits : 12582
    Registration date : 2009-03-17

Post by JGZinv 12/14/2009, 3:44 pm

Chobits doesn't make a lot of sense until the very last few eps.... hold out till then.

tanis1lionheart
    Front Flyer
    Front Flyer

Post by tanis1lionheart 12/14/2009, 4:01 pm

I thought Chobits made perfect sense.
    Although, the manga was better paced than the anime.
    JGZinv
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 681
    Imperial Credits : 12582
    Registration date : 2009-03-17

Post by JGZinv 12/14/2009, 4:02 pm

Depends on how you're looking at it. ^_^

mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 12/16/2009, 12:56 pm

I got vols. 1-3 from Rightstuf as a 3 pack deal in their Bargain Bin along with Madlax vol.7.So how many more volumes do I need to buy?
    Are there 6 or 7 volumes total?Wondering if I have to get 3 or 4 more.
    Oh and why is Sumomo's name in the English language version of the manga Plum?
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 12/16/2009, 3:10 pm

mitsuki lover wrote:
    Maybe Mr.Space Alien and Jun Puu ought to examine her.

My favorite scene was Namiko-sensei giving the English lesson and going
    off on a tirade of how she's 35 and doesn't have a boyfriend and the
    students calmly copy what she says because at the beginning of class
    she says:"Repeat after me!"
    Nope, she can't be helped or it would make the experiement uinteresting. Very Happy
    Mr Alien will reveal a sad truth about Namiko sensei...

mitsuki lover wrote:
    Are there 6 or 7 volumes total?Wondering if I have to get 3 or 4 more.
    Oh and why is Sumomo's name in the English language version of the manga Plum?
    6 for chobits
    7 for Madlax

I dunno, that's probably a liberty of the translator/editor.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 12/22/2009, 1:04 pm

I know that there are 7 volumes of Madlax I have all but vol.5.I was asking about Chobits.So all I need to do now is collect vol.4-6 to get the rest of Chobits.
    Finally got Boogiepop in the mail yesterday.It consists of a 5 disc set.4 discs of Boogiepop Phantom and the fifth is the Boogiepop And Others live action prequel.
    Now I have only one title left in my Top Ten to get.
    Any guesses which one I still need to collect?Hint something to do with a certain blue haired and pointy eared space princess.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 2/1/2010, 3:28 pm

Saw ep.10 of Kashimashi yesterday.Wondering how Hazuma and Yasuna managed to pack that big old cookie for Tomari.
    I also just re-started,on thursday,Sakura Wars vol.1.
    Saturday I start vol.7 of Neon Genesis Evangelion Plantinum.This is one of those titles I need to get more of.
    tanis1lionheart
    tanis1lionheart
    Front Flyer
    Front Flyer

Post by tanis1lionheart 2/1/2010, 4:20 pm

Started watching 'Iron Man: The Armored Adventures'.

The animation style is that simple 3D thing, like Reboot but better, and the story is set with Tony Stark in high school (like Ultimate Spider-Man).

It's not that bad thus far, but I feel like a pedo for Pepper.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 2/3/2010, 12:45 pm

I have Spider-Man :The Untold Stories in my comic book collection,that's also set in Peter Parker's early days as Spidey.My favorite is the one with
    MJ in it that shows she KNEW Petey was Spidey BEFORE he told her.
    As far as it goes,I am almost finished with vol.3 of Chobits now and so will have to wait to either order or buy vol.4-6.
    Tonight Ai Yori Aoshi Enishi vol.2 ep.7 'Summer Resort',this is the mandatory hot springs episode!Speaking of hot springs,I plan on re-watching vol.2 of Love Hina when I'm done with Ai Yori Aoshi.
    tanis1lionheart
    tanis1lionheart
    Front Flyer
    Front Flyer

Post by tanis1lionheart 2/3/2010, 3:15 pm

I started re-watching 'Outlaw Star'.

Just finished 'Iron Man: The Armored Adventures' & 'Freakazoid!'.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 2/5/2010, 1:58 pm

I start Boogiepop Phantom tonight and vol.7 of Neon Genesis Evangelion Plantium tommorrow.That means the only ones I haven't watched yet are
    Sakura Wars vol.2 and Banner II vol.2 & 3,but have to wait for the latter two to get here first.
    Still need to get for this year:
    Nanoha
    Princess Tutu
    Scrapped Princess
    Code Geass
    Grenadier
    El Cazador de Bruja
    Angelic Layer
    Air
    Aria
    Kachimu
    Karin
    Moonphase
    Ikki-Tousen
    Najica Blitz Tactics
    Kannazuki no Miko
    Birdy The Mighty
    Hell Girl
    Gunslinger Girl
    and lot of others including some that I already have but need to get more.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 2/8/2010, 1:01 pm

I was randomly looking and found there was a reincarnate series called Mahou Sensei Negima Neo. I have the impression these days the popular ones get 'original' remakes.

Anyway, although, I will be busier I will watch more to balance or to relax. Laughing
    tanis1lionheart
    tanis1lionheart
    Front Flyer
    Front Flyer

Post by tanis1lionheart 2/8/2010, 2:53 pm

I watched 'Daybreakers' (really good) and Avatar (in 2D, which lost some of its effect) and World War Hulk (Which was okay, but Hulk was a little too smart).

I've got this big 'list-O-movies' I'm going to get through.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 2/8/2010, 8:28 pm

It's been a long time since I watched any good fighting anime so I'm going to watch 'Variable Geo Neo'.
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT 2/9/2010, 2:47 pm

Outlaw Star is old good classics, among my favorite animes as well Very Happy Daybreakers are ok i guess - at least it's more interesting than a typical vampire story...i like the new approach but is it movie too short or budget too tight - it's just not enough...Avatar should be watched in Imax, or at least it's the movie that's worth watching in Imax the most i guess.Now i'm trying to understand what to expect from Alita...after reading manga i realized Cameron will need a lot of work done - robots are much harder to make well in 3D than organics... So if you'll have power problems in your house - know that it's Cameron rendering it's next movie on some super-servers Very Happy
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 2/9/2010, 7:19 pm

I wouldn't call outlaw star a classic, but it's nice to have a girl in your lugage.

Depends on how you view it 3D cinema probably will force more people to come to the cinemas. Not to mention that they get rid of those cam users.

I expect Alita to look nice. Laughing
    So which side will you take? The advanced allways correct brainless people or the emotionally cursed puny people?
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 2/10/2010, 1:05 pm

After Gods And Generals I don't think I want to see another movie that's over 2 1/2 hours long,unless it's Gettysburg.(Well ok I DID see The Fellowhip of The Ring on tv once.)I finally watched O,Brother Where Art Thou? on WGN America yesterday.Fun movie plus good music.
    Getting back on topic:saw ep.11 'Chi Confirms' on Chobits yesterday.Hideki spent the entire episode in over paranoid mood.Funny the way it went from his imagination to reality.Tonight I once again finish vol.2 of Ai Yori Aoshi Enishi.Next week vol.3.
    I need to figure out what to watch 2 weeks from Tuesday.Hopefully Banner II will get here by now so I can start on it then.I also thinking of re-watching a certain other mecha series when I am done with Neon Genesis Evangelion
    Plantinum vol.7 *Cough DUAL Cough*.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 3/28/2024, 1:27 pm