Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.

Kin of the Stars

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Kin of the Stars

A community for the fans of Crest of the Stars, Abh culture, anime, technology, science fiction, video games, and friendly conduct.

+7
lymhfeubdach
tanis1lionheart
Almael
Schwenkdawg
mitsuki lover
AlexT
JGZinv
11 posters

Random Thought

mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 4203
    Imperial Credits : 17899
    Registration date : 2009-04-10

Random Thought - Page 37 Empty Re: Random Thought

Post by mitsuki lover 11/25/2013, 2:57 pm

We got our new debit cards and PIN numbers from Washington Federal today.They won't be useful until after December 6 though so have to wait to activate them even though they say to activate
    them as soon as you get them.Still waiting for the new checks to come in.They ought to come
    by Friday as the letters they sent out indicated we should get everything by then.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 2849
    Imperial Credits : 19006
    Registration date : 2009-03-18

Post by Almael 11/26/2013, 2:14 pm

Looks like Japan did ratified their anti-whistle blower law.

worse than censorship
    The articles say things dropped down some notches but from what I see on the net it's more like down to 2% on difficult issues.

It seems more and more the chinese want to shift from landing humans on the moon to mars in order to keep pace with what the west is doing. Now they plan to set a rover plus cargo on the moon next month. All eyes open (for a firework)!
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Number of posts : 542
    Imperial Credits : 12482

Post by AlexT 11/26/2013, 4:23 pm

Looks like i disappeared again Smile 
    good to know you guys are keeping an eye on the world Very Happy
    I'm going back to UA through Poland tomorrow and it seems i'm switching one mess for another -, you probably hear about Ukraine's EU association and stuff ... What a dumbass of a president we got Evil or Very Mad 
    At least the rest of the world doing better it seems - some chaneges in middle east, although i don't like what's going on in Africa lately. Some cancer is spreading across it, some serious surgery is needed.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 11/27/2013, 8:52 pm

The UA already missed the train this friday. The next one could be years from now there's not much you can do. Once politicians are elected they can do whatever they want that's how politics works out practically. You gotta elect the right people to get what you want but that's not gonna happen 99% of the time. Well, what;s there to expect from a system where the lawmakers make their own laws...

Looks like surgery is not gonna happen otherwise it would have already started by now. Africa is a sinkhole these days that cannot not be fixed in any ethical ways. A lot of blood needs to be spilled to get anywhere. Even if nothing is done blood will be spilled. Frankly, even if things are over people will still suffer. Nuking for a humane sudden death is only a temporary solution at best. The problem is simply human nature. It can't be fixed, can't be solved. An utopia is not possible.
    That's why control over everything is necessary! *Wahaha**ebil grin and laughter all over the net*
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT 11/28/2013, 11:53 am

Well, "the only way for evil to succeed - is for good men to do nothing" Smile

I actually believe in surgery - it worked everywhere, why shouldn't it work for Africa? De-centralize leadership by taking out all of the "evil commanders", cut supply lines, create internal power struggle and keep it up until some official power get back on it's feet. All you need then is to loan them some money and give them better weapons to make sure they can be influenced (through money flow) and better armed to oppose the competition inside. And in 5-10 years there might be more or less self-sufficient country...That is if somebody cares though...
    The only problem, as always, is when religion gets involved - you get the mess.
    One thing you're right of course - all this works only if majority of people want better life and not to switch roles with their own oppressors. In this case all that's left is either enlightenment...or extinction.
    Random Thought - Page 37 HeresyStamp_7156
    Btw, an Ukrainian frigate had some success as part of "ocean shield" campaign in gulf of Aden. I told you those pirates are gonna get it Very Happy
    Having at least 1 good big naval ship that actually does something makes me kinda happy, especially after the share of rusty ships I seen just dying out there Sad
    http://www.unn.com.ua/en/news/1270782-getman-sagaydachniy-pristupiv-do-tretogo-patrulyuvannya-v-adenskiy-zatotsi
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 11/28/2013, 6:59 pm

I'm not saying it doesn't work at all just that it doesn't work long term (which is more than 6 months in african terms). I liked the "Lord of War" movie. Smile 
    The problem with african people is that they basically are not civilized yet. They still follow clan & village mentality. Principles of government, organization and modern economy are very much unknown to them. Only the elites have enough education to perhaps grasp the concepts we have. Heck, what everyone else understands as virtue they don't even have those. For example being on time is a concept many still don't have a grasp off. It's difficult for them to adjust. The concepts of democracy is very alien to african and the middle-east people. That's why things didn't work out in Irak & Afghanistan. Heck, even in the first world a lot of people don't really understand democracy or the other principles of government. Just go to scottland and anyone you meet will try to explain to you the principles of federation...oblivious to the fact that you may come from a federal nation. Not to mention that our political system is showing more and more failure. As far as the separation of powers principle (legislature, executive, judiciary.) go in practice it's only two groups instead of three: legislature & executive verses judiciary.
    Since the executive usually originates from the legislation both are usually in line with each other. In the end it's only the judiciary that prevents the others from trailing off.
    Anyway, there's simply no end to ethnic problems led alone beliefs or orientation among the same belief. Education would help but if you look at us we all have 1+ century of education and still many people are lacking. Imho, a stable environment and education for several generation is required but we all know that's impossible even for us. We have been helping by building schools, teaching them things, and all but that's all purely for political reason than really helping them. Heh, recently switzerland had only two people (the first & the last Twisted Evil )working voluntarily and as soon as they returned gave them all the possible state honors.
    African people still have an agriculture that only feeds themselves let alone able to do export. There's not much infrastructure and if any most of them originate from past imperialism. In short, we have been feeding and help them to survive & multiply but virtually did nothing to build a base for a future. Anything we did manage got destroyed by conflict or went to nothing for other reasons. For example the tsunami-hit area in indonesia, we helped rebuild it to even better levels than before. For some years that area ... everyone has been forbidden by law to go to christian churches...effectively exclusively reserved for certain people.
    In africa something similar happens, the most problematic areas are ruled by the same certain people. They made it so that the population becomes impoverished and when we provide goods they take it for themselves. And if they distribute it they distribute it under their name. There's a lot more going behind the scene than just these things. For every simple things we got to literally fight and risk our lives and then there's no warranty it will last....

Now africa has become the new entrepreneur frontier. If you ask me I don't think it will last long. Since they don't have much of an economy all the consumerism will ruin them. Building factories and all...I doubt it will work out for long. China has already build whole cities for millions (for their people) over there, yet they are ghost cities...

With the recent escalation with china the nations around there could become customers for new ships. There's no way they can afford western ships so you guys might get something ordered.
    Well, I told you the calm before was only a facade. And with many asian nations more or less already becoming china's puppet it might not be a good idea to sell good stuff, though.

Black Friday is ahead and I dunno what to get. *Argh* Laughing

Hanukkah, is becoming big this year everywhere. This might call up some trouble.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 11/29/2013, 2:49 pm

I think it depends on where you live about Hannukah.Since we don't have a large Jewish population it doesn't seem to be that big a deal here.I think it's mainly in the East Coast where you see that.Though I wonder if it's become as commercialized over there as Christmas has everywhere.

santa 

My substitute NBA team aka The Utah Jazz isn't doing too good this season.They're stinking up the floor.Still I'd rather have a stinkin' bad team than no team to root for.

Basketball 
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 12/1/2013, 1:29 pm

All the crisis have become serious. It's exciting bad times. I'm far from being a warmonger but I admit I think it could good this time around.

The EU is giving the Ukraine all possible support and chances but it still will take years. Looks like the bunkers there get to be used quite often after all.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 12/2/2013, 2:52 pm

Finally got my doctor's appointment made for my annual check-up today.It was icy and a bit windy
    today.Any way my appointment is for New Year's Eve,at least I get it out of the way soon and don't have to wait an entire month.Because I have to have blood drawn it's in the morning.Still glad that
    that part is done!Very Happy 
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 12/4/2013, 2:40 pm

Archaeology Magazine named the discovery of Richard III's skeleton one of the ten discoveries of 2013.One of the others was the skull of a teen
    colonist from Jamestown that served as proof for the claim of cannibalism
    during a time of famine.
    What's interesting here is that the female skull showed sign of low
    lead poisoning so they think it was of a lower class girl because the
    higher classes would have used pewter which has more lead content.

pirat pirat 
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 12/5/2013, 2:56 pm

Ah, that reminds me of some interesting facts, in short what was once food for the poor is now food for the rich and vice versa. For example, salmon, marron and a bunch of other food used to be eaten by the poor while meat by the rich.

It looks like the thieves of the mexican hospital waste transport died somewhere in the field.  <-It's been a day and still no sick person showed up. But the way it was transported in a wooden crate with metal lining...that's unhealthy for the regular workers, too. The proper shielding used in a hospital is about a meter of lead.

The UN has voted for a french intervention (as expected) I guess the legionnaires are going in full force. As far as the c-j crisis go it's obvious already ended after the 4th day as everybody is currently interested in getting contract with the chinese.
    As for the Ukraine imho it's calm now because the prez is in china but when he returns who knows. Watch out Alex!

On the scientific front, there's a lot of campaigning going on for darkmatter research now. It started out with news on new neutrinos found recently.
    http://io9.com/unprecedented-neutrino-discovery-is-a-nobel-prize-in-t-1469710608
    http://www.businessinsider.com/evidence-of-neutrinos-outside-the-solar-system-found-at-the-icecube-detector-2013-11
    http://arstechnica.com/science/2013/12/could-dark-matter-be-hiding-in-plain-sight-in-existing-experiments/
    http://arstechnica.com/science/2013/12/neutrinos-give-neutron-stars-a-chill/
    Looks like these days the community is on the lookout to promote things based on news. I'm not saying it's bad but it blurs the importance (and real timed/historic appearance).
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 12/6/2013, 2:41 pm

I'm a bit on the fence about Mandela.In the end he did manage to make South Africa a better country but on the other hand he did support violence early on,which can never be condoned.

Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 12/6/2013, 4:28 pm

Let's be real, as a leader he ordered who knows how many bombings that killed who knows how many people. He only got this far thanks to the support of the western powers. Imho it could have been anyone the powers that be choose. Him being a lawyer certainly helped a lot for his promotion. It's definitely another case of social-engineered hero-worshiping.

Anyway, Nasa has published a first complete recording of Saturn's northpole storm
    http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/news/newsreleases/newsrelease20131204/
    It's interesting how straight the jetstream liness are...more so than on earth.
    http://geologymaster.com/cctext3.htm
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 12/8/2013, 1:28 pm

Looks like violence is increasing in the Ukraine again. Well, it's weekend so no surprise here.

The new trade agreement of the WTO yesterday is a major development, yet not much has been said beforehand. The points regarding tariffs and the "peace clause" is really something unthinkable a decade ago. I wonder if this is a sign of the (economic) system or theory as we know it breaking down or going in a new direction.
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT 12/8/2013, 2:05 pm

Almael wrote:As for the Ukraine imho it's calm now because the prez is in china but when he returns who knows. Watch out Alex!
    I seen worse Very Happy
    Too bad I have friends on both sides of the fence (literally) and know that when stones start to fly - sooner or later your world is divided to those behind you (friends) and those in front of you (foes) and then all kinds of things may happen and no one will know who threw the first stone.
    It's good that no one really feel motivated enough for any serious violence. Most of the  fighting is done by people who's getting paid or by nationalists which are few, but rest is easily provoked into throwing stones. At least some bruises is what we get mostly here so far.

I'm not found of Yanukovich, but I know our "opposition" is no better. What is important however is protest. No matter if people are manipulated by politicians - what important is that they do protest so the next politicians know the risks should they do something stupid. I'm kind of glad to see Ukraine is different from Russia in this. I guess freedom (and probably some anarchy) is in our blood since time of Cossacs which, btw, are the closest thing to Japanese Samurai except for their democratic society as opposed to servants for the empreror Wink
    Random Thought - Page 37 Kozak_i_Japonec2
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 12/9/2013, 1:23 pm

I hope your friendship doesn't suffer from your differences.
    Reminds me of a nice episode from Boston Legal where two friends fight each other for their different believes.

AlexT wrote:I know our "opposition" is no better. What is important however is protest. No matter if people are manipulated by politicians - what important is that they do protest so the next politicians know the risks should they do something stupid.
    *nodes* Agreed.

New pictures/documentaries show the extend of Kim Jong-un's dismissed uncle being cut from them. It's a surprising event. I guess he was removed due to dealings with a certain egyptian communications company and perhaps the plans for their own produced celphones (supposedly inaccessible for us).
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 12/9/2013, 2:57 pm

It's hard to tell what's really going on in North Korea.In other news they finally released that 80something year old American veteran they were holding for crimes against the Korean people.Though they're still holding the American missionary.
    And speaking of which,that American preacher in Iran is still being held
    as well.
    The irony in his case is that what he was doing---helping to build an
    orphanage--was okayed by the Iranian government.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 12/10/2013, 2:50 pm

Yeah, when you go to those countries you automatically become their chess piece or pawn whenever they need some chips to play with...

Since Ghost in the Shell - Arise has come this year
    Time for some kew robotics

build with standard japanese robotic parts, not really that new but always nice to watch

Something new from Hong Kong that got Adam from Myst Buster drooling

and if ya interested in a regular RC build & 3D print read on here:
    http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?5974-Tachikoma

Well, prefer a Fuchikoma-esque design due to better center of gravity etc.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 12/11/2013, 2:43 pm

Those were a couple of interesting models.Though the point of how a tachikoma can move on top of a house without bringing the structure down is a good question.Especially something built during the
    Edo period.It would be understandable how it could move on top of a more modern structure though,as they would be built to stand such stress and strain.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 12/11/2013, 7:31 pm

It's a typical scifi future-material-reduced-weight-trick. But I think it's within the realm of possibility if the Tachikoma walk but jumping and landing...no way.
    Well, AFAIK wood house technology has already reached its peak before the Edo period in Japan. I assume the japanese roofs as well european roofs do allow people to walk on them to make repairs etc.

Lets estimate a bit to get some idea.

Lets assume roofs generally can carry a 80 kg human -> that's about 40 kg per human-foot of pressure.

Specifying up a Tachikoma based on real things we know.
    Judging by volume I would guess it has the mass of about 4 motorbikes -> that's about 600 kg
    Imho it only needs 80kW power so 3.5x motorbike engine weight go to armor
    +80 kg driver
    +6 kg 7.62mm machine gun + 6 kg (250-500 rounds)
    +66 kg 12.7 mm gatling + 13 kg (250 rounds)
    =>771 kg
    Assuming each Tachikoma foot is about equal to 3 human-feet
    we get 771 kg vs 480 kg

OK, it's too heavy. Using leightweight material it should be possible to reduce it down maybe by about 180 kg. *looks at carbon fibre-reinforced polymer armor*

-------------------
    It's a strange world:
    Obama finally did some peace work for earn his noble prize and people don't like it! Laughing
    Ahem, I think it's more interesting if you look at the deaf language interpretor. His hand dancing looked nice. Even with my limited knowledge it does look a bit strange. It does not use hands only but also your head as "extra signing"....

Anyway, what do ya think about Klitschko becoming prez? Ya think he is better than the Governator? Laughing
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 12/13/2013, 2:44 pm

IIRC didn't sod houses on the Great Plains have to be extra sturdy because they sometimes allowed
    the cattle to graze on top?

The 'deaf interpreter' by his own admittance was paranoid-schizo.
    The whole incident is one of the more bizaare aspects of Mandela's funeral,though I think the whole
    'Selfie' thing as now eclipsed it.

Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 12/13/2013, 2:54 pm

I heard a while ago rumors about Bandai building a computer controlled Tachikoma but before I realized it it was already completed.
    http://www.takotech.net/mshp/index.php?title=more_on_bandai_s_computer_chogokin_tachi&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1
    http://www.collectiondx.com/news_item/101807/bandai039s_new_dennou_chogokin_tachikoma
    I doubt it can walk, though.

NASA's new robot
    http://www.space.com/23929-nasa-valkyrie-humanoid-robot.html
    developed for a darpa contest...looks superficially more like japanese than Asimov's (imagine Capt. Picard) I guess some fans got in their preferences.

---------------
    "IIRC didn't sod houses on the Great Plains have to be extra sturdy because they sometimes allowed the cattle to graze on top?"
    Uhm, yes but I dunno about all of them. In brazil cows used to fall from above.
    Hmm, a cow in northamerica & europe does weight from around 500 to 800 kg...

Un's uncle got executed. Quite a move. Either Un is now all-power or quite weak...

There's a new supercomputer in the UK, Iridis 4, but the information from everyone is just crappy & obviously wrong in details. What's wrong with this tech people giving wrong info..

China's moon rover is about to land. It's been about a week already..about double the time Apollo needed. Hmm.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 12/15/2013, 3:07 pm

BBC says: Bond is a drunkard! Now they noticed it. :lol:I mean he always goes out drinking, gets into fights with gangs, and wakes up beside someone he doesn't know and all. It's like Batman. Always goes out at night, wears black, get involved with criminals. And has a fetish for bats. Laughing

Irland no longer needs the european bailout rescue plan. Got to say they made it out quite fast. *thumbs up*

After the blame game in the Ukraine it looks like things are stuck. If this keeps up in the long term it means there won't be a change. If things end up like in thailand where the government changes whenever the opposition protests....it's probably worse than the italians. It gives rise to the impression of no stability for businesses. Well, the Ukraine is well regarded for technology but still.

Peter O'Tool died, I thought he was over 90 but he's actually 81.

These days it seems TV "news" channels and or shows etc. are about least half dominated by ads or "recommendations" disguised ads. Or maybe because it's xmas time... If we add the censorship on TV one day the TV become useless and we all shift completely toward the net. Hopefully not. I guess then only special interest channels e.g.  documentary channel would survive.
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT 12/16/2013, 12:51 pm

Yesterday i made myself a true Ramen Very Happy Or at least i tried to make it as true as possible and it does taste great and unusual.
    You guys eat eastern (and Japanese especially) food often?
    Almael wrote:After the blame game in the Ukraine it looks like things are stuck. If this keeps up in the long term it means there won't be a change. If things end up like in thailand where the government changes whenever the opposition protests....it's probably worse than the italians. It gives rise to the impression of no stability for businesses. Well, the Ukraine is well regarded for technology but still.
    It's the situation opposition was not ready for - they protest hard...and goverment keep pushing their own goals like they don't care.
    Someone had this great idea to say that president is the only person who stand in a way of civil war now Very Happy The war between who - corrupt politicians and their surrounding and everyone else? That's gonna be one quick war i'd say  Laughing Although they try hard to make it look like there is just as much of those who oppose union with EU, but truth is - those who support president and like Russia - are people with no political or moral position, no nationality, no ideals - they're ex-USSR biomass and will not fight for what they believe.
    Although rising support of nationalists is kinda disturbing.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 12/16/2013, 2:49 pm

Or in other words the only ones who support the current President of Ukraine are the ones who are
    sentimental about the USSR. I didn't think there would be too many people like that outside of the
    Russian Communist Old Guard.
    Interesting on Stossel this weekend he talked about how Pinochet got Chile's economy back on track by hiring graduates from the University of Chicago's School of Economics to come down and
    teach free market economics.The result being that the government privatized and opened up the
    marketplace.Now it looks like it's going in the opposite direction with the new Socialist leaning President.
    Seems the last President was unpopular and so is the Right in Chile because of it's relationship with the Pinochet Regime.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 5/8/2024, 12:50 pm