Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.

Kin of the Stars

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Kin of the Stars

A community for the fans of Crest of the Stars, Abh culture, anime, technology, science fiction, video games, and friendly conduct.

+7
lymhfeubdach
tanis1lionheart
Almael
Schwenkdawg
mitsuki lover
AlexT
JGZinv
11 posters

Random Thought

AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Number of posts : 542
    Imperial Credits : 12400
    Registration date : 2009-03-18

Random Thought - Page 39 Empty Re: Random Thought

Post by AlexT 1/19/2014, 2:10 pm

There are few key problems with EU vs RU thing.
    The eastern part of Ukraine is closer to russia in history and mentality, with many people being children of Russian & Ukrainian parents or have  relatives in Russia. USSR didn't happen all that long ago either. As for mentality - they are often religious, orthodox christians and for them that liberal policy when it comes to relations of same sex etc. is a strong argument against europe. The worst insult here is actually the "gay" and insults always reflect what is "worst" in opinion of the people. Getting them to accept gays is the same as trying to get Muslims to drink, smoke and eat pork.
    While it' not #1 in significance, it sure doesn't help many people to accept EU and is easily used by anti-EU forces for propaganda.
    On the other hand there's western Ukraine which is very Nationalistic and have no love for anything USSR or Russia related, viewing it as invaders. On top of that the leaders of URA (if my translation is correct for "Ukrainian Rebel Army") have been known to be associated with Nazi back in WWII times (although they canceled the agreements later). Although URA fought both - USSR and Nazi, it is still strongly associated with these things by eastern people: "nationalism", "Nazi" and "anti-Russian".
    And between East and West - there's "central" Ukrainians like myself, which speak both languages and kind of children of 2 cultures, these are usually less aggressive and don't care as much for "ideology" or nations but pursue economical prosperity for everyone and view corrupt government as worst enemy. Smile
    The key problem of it all is that when there's a problem and people are angry - politicians and radicals try to quickly shift their attention to this old "wests vs east" thing.
    There's some truth in that because eastern people are known to care less for Ukraine as independent country and do not respect it's history, traditions, languag etc. and think of it as part of Russia. And the fact that most of the ruling party and president are from East doesn't help it either.
    But what happens lately is that people from both sides are so fed with corrupt politicians they no longer care for any ideology. But fighting regime is one thing, building better one is another. I know for sure that opposition is no better, they just represent different kind of business interests - import oriented and unlike some Eastern guys they don't have any manufacturing/business here, they'll just sink us in imported goods destroying our own manufacturing. It's what Yulya did when she was prime minister.

Personally - I don't see any quick solution here. The core of the problem is in people majority of which are dumb. Noone protest for better tax system, business environment or laws. Most just want their salaries and pensions, not knowing i's our taxes that keep them fed.
    One thing I'd start with - elimination of government business sector. No manufacturing, commerce, business should belong to government. Otherwise it only upholds the corruption, and we have too many structures that are 50/50 government/commercial and owners are none but deputies of high council themselves.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 2849
    Imperial Credits : 18924

Post by Almael 1/20/2014, 2:30 pm

I see. Don't mind my following useless songs of wisdom. Razz 
    The social "tabus" aren't so different from most countries in the world. The problem is how far EU laws will be pushed on you at the beginning. As I understand it it's not like you gotta adapt everything right now. *shrugs* So the problems are the human rights. As it is not many would out themselves as gay even if you are in the EU now. How stupid would they be? There's a difference between law and practice and you guys know it better than anyone. So that gay argument is nil.
    Interesting, in most countries of the world the divide is usually between north & south (probably a climatic thing). I have been thinking you need two kinds of leaders: one for the "war" and one for after-war development. Well, with the masses blindly supporting or already fixed on some people you can't find the ideal leaders or can get support for them. The same problem is with the tax. All you can do is try to tell people, try to make them understand. I know it's not easy and most likely you are talking to a wall.
    The best way to win arguments is to keep it simple and truthfully. People with no real argument always fall into the same arguing scheme...with time you will spot it with their first reply and you know you already won. The problem is they just don't know they already lost. I got plenty of experience but this is something you can only learn by experience. *sigh*
    If you forward arguments maybe we can find counters?
    -------------

Alright, away from this dirty ball and back to the stars.
    Hmm, Iran is gonna send a bunch of satellites..where did they scrap all the parts?

http://www.spacenews.com/article/civil-space/39177european-spacecraft-to-wake-up-begin-comet-mission
    Later today we will know if the Rosetta satellite is alive or lost. It's gonna send in a 400 kg probe on the comet, quite a lab here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-25809967
    The most interesting news is we spotted a filament thanks to a quasar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_memory_%28biology%29
    It's been months but now it seems "Genetic Memory" is making it to the masses.
    This is about humans and violence. It lends support to results from social primate research I mentioned before. We are humans so I think we can control it by our mind. Blaming violence to being trunk and such...are you an animal?
    http://www.hypnosense.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=2
    Yes, I said we are animals for a reason but if ya wanna be human ya gotta act like a human.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 4168
    Imperial Credits : 17782
    Registration date : 2009-04-10

Post by mitsuki lover 1/20/2014, 3:01 pm

Well  santa came to Seattle yesterday and gave all Seahawks fans a
    nice treat in the second half by letting us get into the Superbowl.
    Yeah,a lot of talk about what was said afterwords by Sherman,but then
    again Crabtree's comments weren't exactly classy either.The difference being that Crabtree has to sit and fume until September and Sherman is going to the Superbowl. tongue 

And what's even more interesting is the Seahawks' owner Paul Allen has also a chance at getting an NBA title this year as well since he also owns
    the Portland Trailblazers.It be funny if both his teams end up playing for their leagues championships.If Portland does make it to the Western
    Conference series in the NBA I'll be rooting for them especially if it's against OKC...die!
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 1/22/2014, 2:54 pm

So as we wait for the Superbowl the news is that Minnesota has a new
    head coach finally. cheers 

Personally I'd be happy if the halftime score were 0-0 and the game ended
    with a field goal and a final of either 3-0 or 10-0.I hate to say but I am getting tired of high scoring games all the time.Maybe I been watching
    too much soccer lately. lol! 

Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 1/22/2014, 4:43 pm

Unlikely but if you manipulate the games...  *Rant time* Laughing

---------
    Now that some died in the Ukraine, it's the chance to unite or at least make it known this is no longer tolerable.

Edit: Alex: Did you receive your demonstration registration?
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 1/24/2014, 3:36 pm

The american dream (another research paper) compared to
    The world
    only confirms previous reaserches
    Sadly, it's by far not the only "deception" there is.

Since, a certain someone in russia wants to go home, there's been a little discussion going around. Well, the content (law) of the topic isn't new. As he said it's been around for a century...and he's actually better off imho. People working with real confidential stuff have to sign off their constitutional rights. Just like the IMF you don't exist; easy to get rid off; easy to deny. Bad guys have more rights than you do. (Hence, the unlawful logic - it's better not to trial bad guys but let them be on the battlezone...all fair game.)

----
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 1/30/2014, 2:15 pm

Looks like the Ukraine made it through without civil war...for a time that was really uncertain. Well, done!

Avartar, the safe & secure OS
    http://sneakpeek.avatar.ai/
    Meh, based on javascript and running within a browser...you can as well, submit all your personal data to everyone in the world. It's supposedly using a P2P type of network similar to TOR. Well, just a tip the best and safest P2P on the net is japanese.

This one is more the thing to look out for: How one's site & all gets stolen
    http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/01/how-i-lost-my-50000-twitter-username/

mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 1/31/2014, 2:36 pm

Unfortunately we had the virus that is going around computers these days.It's the one where it disguises itself as a message from the Post Office,but when you open it it activates a trojan horse
    that starts to encrypt all your files.You have 72 hours to get it fixed or you end up loosing your files.
    That's why I haven't been around since last Wednesday.I think the virus showed up on Thursday and we took it down on Friday.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 2/1/2014, 9:23 pm

Yeah, I heard those blackmails are widespread now. That's why I don't click on any images unless from someone I know. It's difficult to tell if they are from some institution like your case. My rule is not to accept anything but real letters from important institutions. It's also conform with the law/courts since you can't proof anything with emails.
    http://blog.fox-it.com/2014/01/03/malicious-advertisements-served-via-yahoo/

I also heard they are now onto usb-drives. I have long (actually even before) been using rewriteable CD's for my data and sending myself data instead of using the usb-drives. It's fine for regular little stuff.
    Found some good info
    http://malwaremustdie.blogspot.de/2014/01/threat-intelligence-new-locker-prison.html
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 2/3/2014, 3:29 pm

Yeah,they seem to be everywhere.

AFAIG:I don't think there was anyone more shocked of the outcome of last night's Superbowl then
    Payton Manning.I was watching at a viewing party with a group from church and during the second
    half every time the camera turned to Manning I couldn't help but remark:"There's one frustrated
    quarterback."
    Even his brother Eli was a bit in shock.
    Personally I was one of those who thought the game would end 23-20 or 13-0 or 10-0. I really wouldn't
    have predicted such a massacre.And it was a massacre.I've concluded the only reason why the Seahawk defense allowed that one Denver touchdown was because they were so embarrassed
    at how badly they were winning that it was a pity score.In other words they pretty much spotted
    Denver those 8 pointless points as the game was won by that time.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 2/4/2014, 2:50 pm

Yeah, no surprise but the difference in score certainly was astounding.

Sweet tooth linked to heart attacks
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-26020017
    Well, sounds too simple. Any excess consummation is bad imho but this is more about fat, though. Sugar is just one path.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 2/5/2014, 2:15 pm

At least it makes the dentists happy. lol! 

Speaking of which I have my 6th month cleaning sometime this month.
    And fwiw:paid my doctor bill for my annual check up today so I'm got that monkey off my back for now. monkey 
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 2/7/2014, 3:56 pm

Yeah, if you take the famed apple eating/biting myth you know how to keep your teeth well or so. Apple's acid being the worst for teeth happens to be gone missing in some memo.

----
    Now Sochi's started. The only thing it proves is how much of hypocrisy the olympics have become. While politics likes to announce boycotts they would never stop sending players these days. In a way, I agree with a certain diplomats comments, although, not in the way she meant it. The olympics have long become a competition about collecting gold, especially the sum of it all. No one would want to miss any game, especially the top 10 rivals. Either all do a real boycott or no one does.

Anyway, Nasa has published a photo taken by curiosity of the Earth and the Moon.
    http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/news/whatsnew/index.cfm?FuseAction=ShowNews&NewsID=1598
    The picture's been modified and upscaled, so I dunno about the real resolution. From the blur and rough size both seem to be just about one pixel in size with light being scattered over the next one or two pixel. The camera seems to have a 2:1 size ratio.

Sony discontinues the Vaio laptop brand and delegates it to the JIP (Japan Industrial Partners Inc.), basically japanese exclusive. It's a bit sad but not surprising. Vaio's have always been expensive innovative high-quality items. They have been at the forefront if not introduced firsts in most laptop area/categories: first ultrabook (before the term existed); smallest laptop ever even after all these years; high resolution displays etc. It all came at a development cost Sony was obviously not able to get them back especially being the first before it all became popular. The only negative about Vaios is that they are loud and kind of fixated on MS OS. You are stuck with it at the time of buying. But that's also their strong point, they are guaranteed to work they way they are sold.

I was surprised by Jay Leno's retirement. I never would have guess it's about time for him...well, after 22 years I guess it does add up quite well.

Leonard Nimoy has COPD, chronic lung disease. Figures at his age especially being one of the oldest of the Trek cast. He certainly held up well until now. I guess his time is also nearing.  Neutral
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 2/7/2014, 5:02 pm

Shocked Sad 

Sorry to hear that.Besides Star Trek he has also appeared in
    shows such as Mission:Impossible and more recently Fringe.
    He also appeared in the remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers.
    If I remember right he got his start playing heavies in gangster films in the
    1950s.

mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 2/10/2014, 3:00 pm

Finally going to see Star Trek:Into Darknesstonight.

Read in the sports page that the SEC Defensive Player of the Year
    from Missouri came out as homosexual.
     Neutral 
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 2/10/2014, 5:28 pm

Yeah, Leonard Nimoy has been showing up in numerous recent shows. I did wonder about the suddenness. Perhaps, he felt he had too before it's too late to do it again?

The swiss people vetoed EU agreements about allowing EU citizens to work/travel freely. Chaos in the industry. It seems to have caused an outcry about racism but nothing surprising, though. Neutral countries are the most racist countries that's why they isolate themselves and are "neutral". Of course aside from the outspoken ones...
    Besides moping and violence against foreigners are common in switzerland even thought they don't make the news (beyond the local).

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20140209-being-watched-why-thats-good
    This section of the BBC has always been submitting bad & faulty articles but this seems a bit better researched, although questionable.

btw. thinking back about the curiosity picture since it's not said about the camera ...it seems to have a resolution of at least 500-2000 km from mars to earth. Hmm, it could read your car's plate from the ISS and up to 4x higher. A bit closer and it could read alien newspaper. Laughing and that with rather normal civilian sized camera.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 2/12/2014, 2:42 pm

IF aliens have newspapers you mean. lol! 

It's slushy weather here today.Had to shovel a large berm of slush that the snowplow left behind in front of the driveway....UGH!

Shirley Temple Black died yesterday at 85. Crying or Very sad 
    One of the last icons from the 1930s.I read a rather funny story about how she stopped believing in
    Santa Claus at age 6 in the newspaper today:her mother had taken her to the store to see Santa and
    he asked her for her autograph!
    One interesting point that came up in the news about her life was that she was one of the first to break the color barrier by dancing with the great black actor-dancer Bill 'Bojangles' Robinson.He taught her to dance and was a close friend.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 2/14/2014, 8:02 am

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn25038-chinas-jade-rabbit-rover-pronounced-dead-on-the-moon.html
    It's declared dead right on time when its lifetime was supposed to end. Heh, and that after months of it having problems. Things might gotten damaged by moon dust only there's no wind.

http://www.technologyreview.com/view/522681/wikipedias-secret-multilingual-workforce/
    Well, it's only you cannot cite wikipedia itself, hence, you can only translate at best.

Codecs FFmpeg & LibAV have been updated with x265 expansion. I will wait a bit in case there's some bugs.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 2/14/2014, 3:01 pm

Al Roker took the new NYC mayor to task yesterday for keeping the schools opened when the weather was bad.From what I saw on tv it didn't look like the type of weather anyone would want to be out in,
    especially if you had to walk in it.Then again the East Coast seems to have gotten it pretty bad this past week.
    Here we had some snow today that looks to be turning into rain.But yesterday it was pretty calm as the East was having it's snow storm.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 2/17/2014, 2:36 pm

Presidents' Day today so didn't have to go the library.However I did get jury duty again. Rolling Eyes 
    It would have to start on my birthday too.Then again where we live it's pretty good chance I won't have to go,and if I do there's probably a fair chance I won't be chosen this time,at least I hope.

And now everyone is looking forward to Spring Training. Very Happy 
    It would be nice if some of the Seahawks' success would rub off on the Mariners for a change.
    Then again maybe the Cubs will win the NL Central this year as well.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 2/18/2014, 4:08 pm

Just decline citing your BD.

-------------
    Things are getting out of hand in the Ukraine. It's serious this time, lots of deaths already. I thought the government was playing on time to get things die down but it seems they waited for this moment when the opposition leaders were "away".
    I hope you stay alive Alex.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 2/19/2014, 2:53 pm

Yep.Me too.
    Ukraine and Venezuela are both hot spots for dissent these days.Just read in the paper where the
    opposition leader was arrested in Venezuela.At least the Ukraine has essentials such as toilet paper
    avaible.Venezuela has become a total basket case.I think from what I have read it's even worse than
    Cuba.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 2/20/2014, 7:36 am

It's escalating in the Ukraine perhaps getting as worse as Syria. It's like a free fire zone...

As to Venezuella, it's been 16 years already! Half a life ago. Wow, I barely remember when Chavez came to power. I was still in school for sure and more oblivious to world matters. I guess I'm still young. Embarassed  Anyway, about 40 dead since the last few weeks. I hear there are about 3000 "victims" in total by now. It's a very bad situation. Ghosts are already there but whether anything is going to be one...
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Number of posts : 542
    Imperial Credits : 12400

Post by AlexT 2/20/2014, 7:35 pm

Hey there,
    No worries, I'm ok Wink
    I never thought i'll see something like this in Ukraine. Not sure if it's anything like Syria or anything in middle east - different people. I'm actually surprised by how well most protesters hold themselves under attacks and later under sniper fire. Also there's not much of aggression - captured SF guys are treated well as soon as they surrender, not too much real hate toward millitia/SF.

Now, among all the other stuff the most important is this about sniper(s) since it's what caused most deaths and talks.
    Here's most important videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44ZdO1c1qec
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaLvEFghWw4

Most people were killed by 7.62 bullets from SVD so far, but on this vid it's definately .308 rifle, can't tell for sure which one with this quality
    Judging from outfit - those are likely Ukraine Security Service, they are like cross of FBI and counter-intelligence. There's some logic behind this since regular riot police here is very unlikely to shoot unarmed people, and the deeper you get into all those "spy guys" the weirder your findings are. And they're the only ones who usualy have "imported" guns. Still - something isnt' right about this whole sniper thing. Angles are pretty weird and only people who seen this happening could tell from where the bullet came approximately. There was a guy with entry point around neck and a clean exit in the back of standard ex-ussr armor the guy was wearing. It could only be the roof on top of him, but only those controlled by protesters are close enough...

Anyway - there's a hope since parliament could find more than 227 people to vote for cease fire order for all law enforcers to stop the bloodshed. But speaker's signature is needed and (idealy) president's... We'll see tomorrow

Random Thought - Page 39 Grb_8611
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 2/21/2014, 7:28 am

Good to hear from you again. Very Happy Things did look very bad so the impression was more like an all-out war, a live or die situation for both sides. Good going you guys managed to end it this quick. Historically, it's not something that's common in these kind of situation. Be proud!

Well, I dunno about that guy but supposedly he spun around, hence, the bullet left a bit off. I doubt that much off but it does happen.

Let's hope you guys are finally over the difficult part of this crisis. It's still a stony path but things should look better now ... thanks to the sacrifices. "Don't let their death be in vein" is the most powerful argument there is.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 3/28/2024, 4:40 am