Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.

Kin of the Stars

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Kin of the Stars

A community for the fans of Crest of the Stars, Abh culture, anime, technology, science fiction, video games, and friendly conduct.

+3
JGZinv
Lt Light Ark
tanis1lionheart
7 posters

Random Thought

Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 2849
    Imperial Credits : 19028
    Registration date : 2009-03-18

Random Thought - Page 17 Empty Re: Random Thought

Post by Almael 3/2/2019, 4:50 am

Other than main plots can't really take The Orville serious e.g fighter shooting down light cruisers...
    Is Isaak really "back" or is it another plot of his higher intellect? (main critical point of the show against the nerdy high handed techno-hard-science of trek)

ST Discovery ep7
    Micheal saves Spoke from section 31's attempt to mind wipe him. The rest...
    It's presumed that the new danger / enemy (red angels) are a power from the future; as a modified probe (kraken a la borg without borgness) tried to kidnap Pike and Tyler in their shuttle and haul them through a time phenomenon.
    Tily is now a super brainiac (very reasonable) and warns them of the time tsunami Laughing basically just another wave or quake at best. What's left is the question whether this changes anything but the show has been brushing these things off. It's another point where the show is similar to Orville or should I say it tries to approach while keeping it more trekkish.

Anyhow, my cousin's surgery operation went well and got the fracture cemented. She's in rehab and they say it would take a year to recover. At least there's nothing to worry about anymore. Well, she used to be the most lucky one around so things should turn out well.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 4215
    Imperial Credits : 17933
    Registration date : 2009-04-10

Post by mitsuki lover 3/4/2019, 4:26 pm

Well that's good then.

The way Star Trek in all it's various versions keeps meddling with the space/time continuum I wonder if anybody has any idea of what the actual original timeline was to begin with.

So our Governor has decided to throw his hat in the ring for President. Mad
    There are so many people now declaring on the Democrat side that they need a way of keeping all of them straight.

I keep checking and re-checking the second disc of my copy of the DVD for Monster Musume the only way I can really be sure is to be play it again, which I plan on doing next month. But eye inspection seems to show nothing serious.

Isaac is the new Data and Bortus is the new Worf.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 3/6/2019, 2:12 pm

Star Wars:Resistance continues to get rave reviews.The last episode had Kaz finally reveal to Neeku that he is a spy for the resistance but the latter doesn't believe it at first.The scene where Kaz and Yeager have to swim to get to the communication array and disable the First Order's communications black out is one of the best in the entire SW universe.Looks like the new First Order Agent might be pushing all the right buttons with Tam to get her to turn, if Kaz and the others can't get to her first.

Ah! Spring is messing with us here, just as we think it might be on it's way we get more Winter instead. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 3/6/2019, 5:04 pm

Eh, I predict the coming presidential election is going to be once again a chaotic show. Maybe not so amusing.

Star Wars these days is kind of less than it used to be. It's kind of surprising since it really doesn't need much.

Now that I think about it Micheal and Spoke are heading for Talos IV, from TOS: "The Cage" (verified it).
    I got to amid atm I thought it sounded familiar but couldn't put it together.

Yeah, I got about two days of sunshine. It's still night at 6 am. Then suddenly there was a raging storm for two days and it also ended suddenly. Now it's a bit cold again, too. It's the "new" (decade old) typical weather chaos due to global warming.

mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 3/8/2019, 3:05 pm

It seems like every Dem in the country has announced. Some of them are so far to the left that they make even Bernie look like a Moderate.

But yeah...a lot of chaos.

IIRC Resistance is set 30 years after Return of the Jedi.

After the classy move by Zachary Levi of Shazam! defending Brie Larson's Captain Marvel from the internet trollz I'm more likely to want to see both movies as before I was only wanting to see the MCU Captain Marvel.

3 episodes left of Gotham

mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 3/11/2019, 3:28 pm

So Felix posted a 15.95 ERA after the Mariners lost in a split squad game 16-2 to the Indians. Not looking good. The other squad split 9-9 with the Angels.

Speaking of which the Ms are opening up in Tokyo this year. Look for a lot of press when Ichiro lands.

Read the online issue of The Irish Times today. Interesting view of Brexit from the Irish side of things.The commentator that I read called the whole thing a bit incompetent. Of course there is still the problem of the border.

Also this whole mess just shows how important Scottish Independence would have been if it had passed. It would have meant not 1 but 2 land borders that the English would have to deal with.OTOH May wouldn't have had to deal with the sometimes overly contentious SNP any more if their goal had been met at last ( and I am still pro-Scottish Independence, just pointing out the facts of life of a post-independent Scotland for the English).

Looks like we're finally going to get to see Lex Luthor on the next episode of Supergirl.Hopefully Jon Cryer does a better job than the Batman Vs Superman Lex Luthor.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 3/11/2019, 3:44 pm

Well, Brexis is being staled more or less because the brits obviously have no plan whatsoever. They simply semi remain in the EU.

Looks like the wind of change finally has force china to recognize it in full such that Xi is showing white hair for the first time. It's significant since these kind of people are particular about these details.

Looks like the Krill in the Orville are kind of like the Cardassians now.

Anyhow, the weather here has been quite moody lately with one strong & heavy storm after another.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 3/13/2019, 1:16 pm

I thing the sea change began in the first season after Mercer and Molloy were on that Krill ship and we got to see the Krill more or less humanized through their children. IMHO the Kaelon are going to be a more ruthless enemy since they are mechanical and not biological.

The latest thing seems to be No Deal Brexit. Looks like a lot of hardline Brexiters are really pissed at May.

Japan protested to Russia for using what they call the Territories for military maneuvers.

So are we at the point where we can ask: "How many Democratic Presidential candidates does it take to change a lightbulb?" yet?
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 3/13/2019, 8:27 pm

Yeah, I kind of think the Orville is about going into a Dominion-esque war arc (to curb more viewership). And it does look Discovery is going toward TOS fans while also trying Orville's approach. Whatever comes out this rivalry is kind of good.

Eh, I'm pretty sure the election circus has already been the talk. Laughing
    Geez, is just gets more and more amusing and dreadful. My (spidey) avoidance senses are working full time thinking about the future.

Right now election in the Ukraine and putin are all putting up a show... We have been shunning our eyes so far to keep things from escalating but the reality is "frictions" has been flaring up everywhere lately. Only North America and Oceania are undisturbed (more or less).

mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 3/15/2019, 1:09 pm

I find it interesting to read news from other parts of the world every once in awhile like Japan's English version of NHK, it does give a good perspective that we here in the US tend to be overly provincial in how we look at the world.

I see where the Picard series is going to be set after the destruction of the Romulan Empire.

Speaking of Picard it be fun if MacFarland could get John Delancie to come on board The Orville to play either Q or a Q like character just to see how Mercer and company would respond.

Finally looks like Spring is slowly arriving here, we're supposed to get into the 50s over the coming week.My big peeve now is that they push all the snow up so that except for downtown there is hardly and side walk to walk on any more. Had to walk to Safeway Pharmacy to pick up my medicine and hardly any place to walk except the side of the street.

The paper today pretty much said this would be Felix' last year as a Mariner. time to think of retirement as I don't think too many other MLB clubs would be really interested in him right now since his stats are so bad.

Finally saw the trailer for Shazam looks like superhero comedy gold. In one scene he's trying to do the whole Superman thing about flying over a tall office building and slams smack into a window! Laughing Laughing Laughing
    Overall after reading Zachary Levi's defense of Brie Larson's Captain Marvel I wanna see both or at least add both to my BD/DVD collection when they come out.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 3/18/2019, 3:35 pm

Splurged on Comics today since it was my birthday yesterday. Spent $23 on 12 or 13 comics. Not bad considering.

Another weekend another terrorist attack this time in Utrecht. I think anyone would be excused for getting a bit paranoid around strangers these days.

According to the Conservative News Website Red State, one of the co-founders of Greenpeace has been pretty much erased by Google and Wikipedia because he stated that the whole New Green Deal couldn't work because once you got rid of all the fossil fuels you would've to cut down all the trees which means lot more carbon emissions.

Also same site reported that Donald Trump, Jr. came to Chelsea Clinton's defense after she got in trouble for tweeting that anti-Semitism is bad no matter where it comes from and then a student at a New York college or university she was visiting got mad and yelled in her face.

mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 3/20/2019, 1:28 pm

I've been trying to register for a DNA Genealogy site except I can't get past the whole copy and paste thing with the register code. I found the edit to the reply but still have problems with copying it properly. Do I save and then copy and paste?

Star Wars: Resistance Season 1 ended with a cliffhanger as Deeku inputed all but the last several coordinates that Kaz fed to him and now the Colossus looks to be a bit Lost In Space(tm) as they were supposed to be heading toward the Resistance HQ but now heading who knows where. Also Tam made her choice and went with the First Order; any bets that we'll see her back in either Season 2 or3 in a First Order uniform butting heads with Kaz over the whole:"We-could've -been-on-the-same-side-if-you-hadn't-lied-to-me.."thing of him being a spy(but Deeku didn't know until the same time and he was cool with it..then again Deeku is Deeku..)

I think the whole Tam thing is about TPTB sensing Tora being a more suitable female lead.
    All in all another outstanding animated version of Star Wars now why can't the live action be this good any more?

Saw Rob Lowe's new show Mental Samurai on FOX. Interesting that the machine they strap contestants in is called EVA! Laughing

Hard not to make the obvious EVA references in one's head. What was interesting was that the only contestant that made it through the entire first round and qualified for the big money round was a guy that works morning selling to truckers over the radio and nights performs as a drag queen!And there was a Stanford alumna and an astronaut who were among the first contestants and neither succeeded and the astronaut didn't even get the first question right! Rolling Eyes

So Spring is supposedly here.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 3/22/2019, 3:57 pm

For the first time in the 2019 season the Mariners are #1 at 2-0; this will also probably the last time as well.
    Ichiro decided to retire in Japan after the second game. Everyone,including the As gave him a warm send off.

FWIW department:Finland is not part of Scandinavia and has never been regarded as such. The Finns are a separate ethnic group from the Danes, Swedes and Norwegians.People keep making this mistake.
    Actually the Finns are closer related to the Turks from what I understand.

The Orville featured another Voyager alum in Tim "Tuvok" Russ as a scientist taking a time capsule found in (IIRC) Buffalo,NY to a Union think tank to be studied. Part of the episode dwelt with Bortus and Klyden getting hooked on tobacco(been funnier if it had been Weed) one thing they find is that the Moklukian system is highly addictive to nicotine.The second and main part was Malloy falling for a dead 21st century woman on the Simulator.

Great line: " She lied to me; I didn't lie to myself. There's a difference!" Mercer to Malloy after the latter tries to compare his Simulator created girlfriend to the Krill that the former had dated unknowingly.

mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 3/25/2019, 2:28 pm

The Lex Luthor arc on Supergirl so far is one of the better ones this season. Not just Cryer as Luthor but the fact that so far all of the SJW crap that's been ruining most of the last couple years has been deleted from it; so it's back to the basics. Also Melissa Benoit as the Eastern Bloc Supergirl shows she's not necessarily a one act pony. Can't wait for "Linda Lee" to meet "Kara Danvers". Trivia: Linda Lee was S-Girl's original civilian name:Linda Lee Danvers. Peter David used the Linda Danvers alias for her when he was writing the '90s Supergirl comics.

The only way now the Democrats can win the White House is if they run and govern from the Center again like they did with Bill Clinton.Though with the group they have it's unlikely. Some of them even make Marx and Lenin look like Centrists if not Conservatives by comparison.

So Gonzaga advances again and Washington goes home. It was a no-brainer after the Huskies drew the Tar Heels n the Round of 32. Welp pop goes the dream of Washington meeting Gonzaga and beating them in the Final Four. It would've been Sweet.

With Disney owning Marvel and Warners owning DC we're unlikely to see a Carol Danvers Captain Marvel/Billy Batson Shazam crossover although I for one would really be eager to see such a movie if it ever happened. Hopefully the next Shazam movie will center around Mary Marvel and have S-Girl as a guest star.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 3/27/2019, 1:17 pm

So I e-mailed Rightstuf wondering what I should do about the Monster Musume disc I had ripped out of the BD player. The question really is is it still playable or not. I don't know what they can do, I simply e-mailed to see if they had any suggestions.

Forget to say that Netflix is going to air what amounts to a new dub of EVA either this spring or summer. It's going to be the complete tv series plus Death And Rebirth and End of Evangelion. Apparently Amanda Winn Lee was interviewed and she seemed to confirm that it was an entirely new voice cast for the dub.

Myheritage has modified their DNA heat map to include areas of overlap now. For example West Asia shows overlapping into the Balkans. This makes sense since this includes much of the area under the control of the Ottoman Empire and many Greeks and Bulgarians, for example would also have West Asian DNA because of being part of the Ottoman Empire.

The New Green Deal was voted down 57-0 in the Senate. No real surprise. No real surprise also that many Dems voted "Present". Did people really think there would be any other outcome?

Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 3/27/2019, 9:30 pm

I doubt you will get help about any disk from any shop. It's technically not their product. They are just the middle man. The printing company won't do much either. If you got a good reader/writer like from Plextor you probably could salvage it. There's no better manufacturer out there imho. It's worth its price if you want top quality. The problem with Plextor nowaday is they have practically stopped developing burners and turned to SSD. So there's been no new burner product in 8 years.

Yeah, DNA testing/gathering companies are booming and it won't stop for a while. Now that the government synergyzes the data of all together...

The sun has been showing up lately but for some reason storms show up toward/in the evening. It's strange and it's been going on for ~2 months with one or two days of normalcy in between.
    Anyway, I've been busy and it doesn't look like to let up for a long time. Lately, I tend to show up on discord more than on usual forums.

Btw. the wiki is open again. Very Happy

mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 3/29/2019, 1:14 pm

Got my Gift Certificate from Rightstuf in the mail today so have to decide what to do with it.

AFAIG: I'm going to re-watch Monster Musume on Monday to see if there were any real damage and if it's playable or not. If it is I'll not worry about it,but if it isn't then I'll go back and order the BD to replace with.(The DVD is still available as well.) It's just another one of those stupid unthinking things. You know you get in an unnecessary hurry and take it out of the BD player a bit too fast.(The rest is ok it's only the one disc)

About 99.99% of the time there's been some damage to a disc it has been my fault,the only time it wasn't was when I got that copy of disc 2 of K'ON that was all scratched up but the rest of the time, as I said it's been mainly my own stupidity.

MLB is back. The Mariners routed the Red Sox 12-4 and the Twins beat the Indians 2-0.

Good that the wiki is back as well.

mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 4/1/2019, 3:54 pm

I got not one but two copies of the gift certificate that Rightstuf sent. I e-mailed them saying I would use it either to upgrade Monster Musume to BD or order either Inukami,Interviews With Monster Girls or A Centaur's Life depending how things work out with disc 2 of Monster Musume.

I threw out my list for this year,that always happens sooner or later. I think I frustrate myself by making lists in the first place. Isn't that what the writer of Ecclesiastes meant by vanity of vanities? Wonder what Solomon would've done in my place if Solomon were an anime fan...

Looks like DCEU will survive to live another day thanks to Shazam! the trailers mention it has something that DC has never done before,meaning someone must've been either a huge Deadpool fan or else they finally figured that they weren't going to win the war trying to be like the MCU except without the humor.

TBH: at this stage of life I don't care about silly teams as I like both DC and Marvel. Just took me a couple of decades to get into the latter is all.

So my live action list wish is:

1.GITS
    2.Alita:Battle Angel
    3.Aquaman
    4.Captain Marvel
    5.Shazam!
    6.Wonder Woman

Found a list of shows and episodes that I watched back in the '90s. Interesting to look back and see what were some of the shows on the air back then. Does anybody now remember the short lived

Conan series or The Adventures of Sinbad? or what about the '90s version of Tarzan? not to be confused with the updated version of a few years later that featured Lucy Lawless?

Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 4/2/2019, 9:09 pm

There's always room for more
    but your pockets will be no more. Laughing

Only saw Wonder Woman. Recommended!

I don't think I've seen them or at least not followed them.
    Apropos, reboot of the Twilight Zone!
    So far I've the first two episodes. Episode 1 was so-so. Episode 2 is better but frankly both are just rehashing of known stories:
    1. A mans sacrificing what he loves for success
    2. In trying to prevent disaster he becomes the cause of it.
    I dunno they seem to miss a bit of the old flair. But it could be just me being old fashioned?

mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 4/3/2019, 1:17 pm

Well without Rod Serling it never does seem to be the Twilight Zone to me.

Yeah, that's the problem unless the library gets a copy and then you can check them out for free.

My thought about watching Founding Your Roots on PBS yesterday was mainly: "Who the heck are these people?" for once none of the guests I had even heard of. Usually there's at least one Big Name but not this time.

Last time I saw The Flash Sherlock Wells had revealed Nora's big secret of working with Reverse Flash pissing off her father and winding up having Barry putting her in one of the cells they use for Metahuman criminals. This was about the first time Barry really got pissed royally off. I don't think even Fake Wells pissed him off as much, or maybe because the person he felt betrayed by was his future daughter.

Supposed to rain today and looks like it might be starting soon.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 4/6/2019, 5:16 am

ST Discovery S2ep12
    What was assumed to be an enemy from the future has turned into a (Gall Force) MME AI taking over the galaxy. In the aftermath of the Klingon-Federation was Section 31 created "Control", a computer system to analyze threats in order to preempt them.
    After Discover runs across a dying space "amoeba" creature and inheriting its million years worth of knowledge of the galaxy, Control, sought to get hold of it in order to evolve. Hence, starts a war within starfleet and a timewar between it the "red angel" & Discovery.
    After trapping the red angel, Control's defacing ... the red angel is lost to time in order to protect its tech & data from Control.
    Another signal appears over Boreth, Kahless' temple, which holds the only time crystals known. I hope to find a way to fight Control Discovery goes to Boreth. Pike ... after a trial obtains a time crystal. Meanwhile Micheal goes after a missing Section 31 ship in hope to find Control but it's a trap to get her to board Discovery and get the data. She and Spoke win miraculously and return only to be surrounded by section 31's fleet under Control's control. Micheal suggest to self destruct Discovery...

Phew. The show doesn't give time to respite. So far it looks like they have adopted a one-adventure-episode-end-twist-for-next-followup kind of story writing approach. It's like a coaster ride from one event to the next with the simplest explanation thrown into the wind.

Nightflyers
    Totally a space horror show. The classic was more artistic and despite being old and looking cheap nowaday I kind of like it more. This remake doesn't make much sense. Like the crappy "The Cloverfield Paradox" movie it kind of feels like they have been thrown together for the lolz.

If Foundation turn out like this this I'm gonna be very upset. Also I heard Dune gets another remake...

mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 4/6/2019, 1:15 pm

Wait...in the remake Section 31 has their own ships...!?

So....umm....remember Chuck? the tv spy spoof about the guy that works at a tech store and ends up becoming a spy accidentally? Welp turns out that the actor who starred in that show is the one playing Shazam! in the movie.

Speaking of Dune IIRC wasn't Patrick Stewart in his pre-STNG days in one of the earlier versions?

Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 4/8/2019, 8:41 am

Yeah, Section31 is basically an official secret department within starfleet. Perfectly legit and all. Duh. Well, you'll see for yourself eventually.

Uhm, Shazam.... and people already posting fun memes

Yep, the 1984 Dune movie with Kyle MacLachlan. Despite being abridged and all I still think it's well done.
    The 2000 mini series and movies were closer to the novels but they kind of were missing the spank.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Herbert%27s_Dune
    and now the 2020 version will have A-list cast. But I dunno...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_(2020_film)

Characterization of the total and viable bacterial and fungal communities associated with the International Space Station surfaces
    https://microbiomejournal.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s40168-019-0666-x
    "no worse than your living room" so much for all the clean rooms and astronaut preflight monitoring.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 4/8/2019, 1:41 pm

Picard has become as iconic as Kirk now so we tend to forget what Stewart did prior to STNG.Speaking of Shatner, it's a good thing Kirk is so iconic now as it makes people forget the dreck of a pilot that was Alexander The Great. The only thing people who remember it even existed know about the whole thing is it featured both William Shatner and Adam West (Captain Kirk and Batman in the same show! Cool Laughing Laughing ) other than that like what I said even West thought it was pretty awful.

So I guess we can't get anywhere even space without bringing our germs with us.

It's incredible that some people are so locked into wanting Captain Marvel to be so bad that they lie about what's in the movie, but like Zachary Levi said, it's really not doing him and the Shazam! movie any good by denigrating Brie Larson and the Captain Marvel movie. At least he gets it: they're both good fun movies and people can enjoy both. Doesn't matter if you're team DC or team Marvel the point is go see both and enjoy both.

Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 4/9/2019, 6:02 pm

So like Reagan? Laughing

The movie's take is certainly different but this makes me curious. So, I can't wait to see it...
    I'm open to any movie that offers entertainment. I'm only unhappy if they turn things dump, beneath intelligence, crap, no sense in the arts, failure of the art etc. The niche is occupied by movies that make me fall asleep.

I Kill Giants:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 5/19/2024, 11:28 am