Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.

Kin of the Stars

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Kin of the Stars

A community for the fans of Crest of the Stars, Abh culture, anime, technology, science fiction, video games, and friendly conduct.

+7
lymhfeubdach
tanis1lionheart
Almael
Schwenkdawg
mitsuki lover
AlexT
JGZinv
11 posters

Random Thought

AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Number of posts : 542
    Imperial Credits : 12480
    Registration date : 2009-03-18

Random Thought - Page 20 Empty Re: Random Thought

Post by AlexT 7/4/2012, 7:31 am

Almael wrote:No need to force yourself AlexT.
    Why force? I always liked your stories and it seems i did read everything you posted on this forum. It would be nice to read more though, don't you feel any inspiration to write more? Smile

Syria is a mess - i wouldn't make any conclusions based on news. These days TV\paper is only good for facts just so you know what happened, but not for interpretations. "The game is known to everyone, few know the rules" says one smart guy i know.

Reminds me of Lyvia - you probably heard about Ukrainian (and few Russian) engineers held in prison in Tripoli for helping the Gaddafi. The rebels blame them for helping to maintain millitary equipment, engineers themselves say they helped with oil rigs. The truth is yeat to be "decided" i guess. Maybe if they work for new regime they'll be declared non-guilty, and suddenly there's so little difference between maintance of oil rigs and SAMs cheers

Btw, any opinions on Russia vs Japan dispute regarding northern Japan islands? (And how it threaten anime industry) Very Happy
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 2849
    Imperial Credits : 19004

Post by Almael 7/4/2012, 8:59 am

AlexT wrote:Why force? I always liked your stories and it seems i did read everything you posted on this forum. It would be nice to read more though, don't you feel any inspiration to write more? Smile
    Thank you.
    Well, the problem is time. And since, I got things layed out and kilobytes of notes and ideas to the end of the stories, I kind of feel finished. Add that to my preference of watching anime... Laughing
    Alright, I will start writing again sometime soon.

Yeah, "innocent workers" around the world get that often.
    AlexT wrote:Btw, any opinions on Russia vs Japan dispute regarding northern Japan islands? (And how it threaten anime industry) Very Happy
    Neither have the right as neither have been there that long. IMHO ~150 years only. Pretty sure there were other people on them first.
    I think japan has a more strategic need than russia (towards china).
    Anyway, I don't think it has much significance other than in times of war.
    Perhaps anime will shift toward evil russian characters? Laughing
    I doubt it, thought.

Btw. Japan just bought some F-35
    http://www.dailytech.com/Japan+Buys+Four+F35+Fighters+Despite+Price+Increase/article25082.htm
    I have doubts of its usefulness for the japanese other than tech transfer.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 4203
    Imperial Credits : 17897
    Registration date : 2009-04-10

Post by mitsuki lover 7/4/2012, 8:00 pm

Russia only got the Sakharin Islands after they came late to the game in the war against Japan in WWII.They declared war on Japan only a few months before the end.

study
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 7/13/2012, 1:48 pm

I wish my German wasn't so rusty.I found a place that had information on some of my German ancestors but I had to go to Google Translator to get the gist of some of the comments there,and some of them
    still don't make sense.I mean what the heck is a schachter of land?
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 7/13/2012, 3:46 pm

Give me the text/link and I will see what I can do.
    I dunno how schachter came out but it's a family name as far as the infos I can find.

Edit:
    This saturday we expected a solar storm to reach us, but it seems not that dangerous. Anyway, it reminded me of the article on arstechnica:
    http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/07/tech-disasters-the-worst-that-ever-happened-to-our-electronics/
    Two weeks ago a small pizza shop nearby was also hit by lightning. As a result all the owners' electronic machines were fried.
    I was thinking of the new "wallpaper" that would isolate wireless transmission from your home being intercepted. It's a Farraday cage but imho by far not Tempest proof.
    My guess an EMP from a thunder strike could ignite the wallpaper causing more damage. A real protection needs multiple groundings at every disconnected metal piece...
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT 7/15/2012, 5:44 pm

Anyone like Rafting? This stuff i mean: http://xvatit.com/upload/iblock/576/57612ef955ada270f82a37b327648af9.jpg
    Got invited by family&friends whom i haven't seen "forever" (not far from truth though) so i spent this weekend on catamaran navigating the "wild" river.
    I'm used to rubber boats, but catamaran was different and kind of fun. I'd appreciate more difficult river though - for me this "extreme" tourism is a little too safe. But it helped me to be more social i guess. Smile
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 7/16/2012, 7:39 am

Well, I already crossed lakes and oceans on ships and boats. Used a Kayak at one point. Lost my favorite yukon cap during a storm to the river... No, I don't do anymore. I got more than enough experience for an average person. Very Happy Besides, nature isn't what it used to be twenty years ago. I have seen it change over the decades. Not to mention all the pollution these days. It's fun, sure, but quite the same.

Perhaps because real wild rivers aren't many anymore? I dunno how you define "extreme" but my guess is it's just a short timed experience you want. Which imho is "safe" tourism. If you want challenges do survivals, climb mountains, drive through the indian/southamerican roads in the mountains. Laughing I mean there is no comparison between taking a jumping risk and actually taking risks until you making it out back.

I see russia got this new "anti-spy" law. Very neat move. It effectively prevent everyone from giving interviews or selling newstories to the outside.

AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT 7/16/2012, 11:45 am

Almael wrote:Perhaps because real wild rivers aren't many anymore? I dunno how you define "extreme" but my guess is it's just a short timed experience you want.
    What i meant is that my friends&family call "extreme" things which are quite "stahdard" for me. Somehow people are irritated when they're tiried and in pain and you look like you could do it all day Razz
    True about real wild places... we gonna need a new planet for that soon, and maybe not just for that Neutral
    Almael wrote: If you want challenges do survivals, climb mountains, drive through the indian/southamerican roads in the mountains.
    Yea, I'm hoping to do that one day Very Happy
    Reminds me - i always wanted to go to Japan, but it's expensive and there's not a single business interest atm which could justify the expense Sad
    I'll probably work a lot in Europe starting at the end of the summer, there are a lot of interesting places too.
    I see russia got this new "anti-spy" law. Very neat move. It effectively prevent everyone from giving interviews or selling newstories to the outside.
    Russian "political elite" having hard times so i guess we'll see more of desperade measures soon. It's the same in Ukraine now.

P.S. So, when will you make us another story Almael? bounce study
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 7/16/2012, 12:53 pm

AlexT wrote:
    True about real wild places... we gonna need a new planet for that soon, and maybe not just for that Neutral

Yea, I'm hoping to do that one day Very Happy
    Reminds me - i always wanted to go to Japan, but it's expensive and there's not a single business interest atm which could justify the expense Sad

I'll probably work a lot in Europe starting at the end of the summer, there are a lot of interesting places too.

P.S. So, when will you make us another story Almael? bounce study
    True.
    I think now is not a good idea to go to japan anyway. Not that it makes a different from where you are now. Laughing

Cool. Welcome to the free and rundown world.
    If you want recommendations I can give some tips.

Well, haven't started yet and haven't worked on the model over the weekend either. ^_^; I could post a continuation this weekend. Smile
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 7/16/2012, 2:20 pm

Where I live we don't have to worry about going to nature,nature often comes to us.
    Usually in the form of unwanted deer.
    Yeah they look so nice and innocent until they get into your garden. No No No
    And speaking of extreme sports,I just noticed in the library today that we have a book written by that rock climber who had to saw off his own hand after getting stuck.
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT 7/17/2012, 2:33 pm

mitsuki, you're probably not a hunter, otherwise deers would avoid you Very Happy
    __
    I developed a certain passion for wood working about year ago and since then some of my rooms look like a wood workshop. But today i did something really stupid - tried to use router right in my living room... I never realized how much dust it produces instantly, probably because i used it in garage mainly, but in a living room it's a disaster - dust was everywhere, had to clean it for an hour scratch

Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 7/17/2012, 2:45 pm

mitsuki lover wrote:
    And speaking of extreme sports,I just noticed in the library today that we have a book written by that rock climber who had to saw off his own hand after getting stuck.
    Figures. Now the reason for carrying a knife has been popularized. Very Happy

AlexT wrote:
    I developed a certain passion for wood working about year ago and since then some of my rooms look like a wood workshop. But today i did something really stupid - tried to use router right in my living room... I never realized how much dust it produces instantly, probably because i used it in garage mainly, but in a living room it's a disaster - dust was everywhere, had to clean it for an hour scratch
    Woodwork is nice but it needs to much time if you do something bigger.
    The last time I build a wooden flying machine it was a pain to shape/grind the wings.

Dust? You mean you didn't clean it up before or you got termites?!!

Or you mean (black) industry dust clueing to your things?
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT 7/17/2012, 3:12 pm

AlexT wrote:Dust? You mean you didn't clean it up before or you got termites?!!
    No, i mean the dust from cuting (routing in this case) MDF
    When i use (manual) saw, or drill it's ok, but router cuts MDF on such insane speeds (30000 rpm) that dust flies all over the place...
    (Router is the machine like this - http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ee/Wood_router_jmc_2005_03_12.jpg )
    __
    Gonna paint myself a new seikai avatar soon, gonna replace it for now. Also found some old i tried to do once, but lacked skill to complete them. Let's see if i got any better since
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 7/17/2012, 6:44 pm

Oh, I see. For this kind of machine you should fix the vacuum cleaner's tube nearby. That will keep it a lot cleaner.

Curious to see it. Very Happy
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 7/18/2012, 1:59 pm

No,the deer are a real menace where we live.They're always coming into town to eat from people's gardens not just winter but also spring and especially summer as well.In fact I just saw one a few days back wondering around near one of my neighbors' house.
    And since you can't hunt in town...

I'm not good with my hands when it comes to making things.You don't want me around complicated machinery either.Not a mechanic.I didn't inherit those genes.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 7/18/2012, 2:11 pm

Yeah, I hear you got them in your homes, too. Well, better than the bears, boars, or phytons. In TX or Cal you can even get snakes in your homes. I stepped at least two times on one already. It's like stepping on something soft and round, no not boobs. Laughing

*psst* "Commander, I think we should tweak someone's genes."
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT 7/19/2012, 11:09 am

Almael wrote:*psst* "Commander, I think we should tweak someone's genes."

Absolutely! Since you Admiral proposed that "ship cost reduction" program - Star Forces could use more skilled woodworkers Very Happy
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 7/20/2012, 2:11 pm

Had a bad news family week.
    First my dad's surviving brother died and now my dad is trying to get a way to the Seattle area for the funeral on Thursday,and then one of my mom's younger sisters had to go to the hospital in Spokane. No
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 7/21/2012, 10:43 am

Sorry to hear this. It's a difficult time.
    Well, you have reached that part in your life where this is inevitable. I'm not feeling ready yet, and by the time, I dunno. I would rather run away if I could.

I think the amok guy is an attentionwhore. He should be locked up and the key thrown away.

Looks like Assat's people are doomed. His people won't make it out alive this time. This means the fight is going to shift to Tunesia, and Morocco. Then everything would be set to invade Europe just like in the past.
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT 7/21/2012, 12:26 pm

Sorry to hear that mitsuki..
    Also it's sad to read about what happened in Denver. Difficult times indeed

Almael, really, to Europe? I should have picked some safer place for work in for observable future scratch

Speaking of Europe - had to drive my cousin to airport early this morning, she was returning to Swizerland after a short vacation here. I rarely see her, often when she comes to visit the familiy i'm somewhere else, so it was nice to finaly see her
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 7/21/2012, 1:29 pm

AlexT wrote:
    Almael, really, to Europe? I should have picked some safer place for work in for observable future scratch

Speaking of Europe - had to drive my cousin to airport early this morning, she was returning to Swizerland after a short vacation here. I rarely see her, often when she comes to visit the familiy i'm somewhere else, so it was nice to finaly see her
    There are two principal ways into europe with a third lesser option.
    1. strait of Gibraltar (punic war, cartago, crusades, wwii)
    2. the Bosphorus (numerous times) turkey is the last piece. We all know turkey is a two timer with their religious party in power.
    3. Libya 2 Sicilia: very unlikely due to lack of naval transport capacity

The ukraine imho is safer due to the black sea, and russia must protect the ukraine, too. But some nukes may be used around there...from both sides.

Me, too. I hardly get to see my relatives. Mostly once a years.
    Switzerland has nice countrysides. However, due to increased train accidents and their suspect investigations, I think their countryside trains are not as safe as they want to make believe.
    Btw. could it be you like her? Twisted Evil

Edit:
    Agrippa code cracked!
    http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/07/william-gibsons-agrippa-mystery-challenge/?comments=1&start=40#comments-bar
    Ha! I could tell by a glance on the notes it was worthless, but I didn't expect some real nerd guys to tackle it. Well, it took 3-4 days which seem a bit slow by one or two days or it was a bit harder than I expected. Razz What interests me more is how that compares to the calculation time of the time.
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT 7/21/2012, 3:53 pm

Almael wrote:Switzerland has nice countrysides. However, due to increased train accidents and their suspect investigations, I think their countryside trains are not as safe as they want to make believe.
    Btw. could it be you like her? Twisted Evil
    To die from "unsafe" train is probably not my destiny, i hope so at least - it would be so dumb and unlogical i can't begin to imagine it Shocked I think just living in Ukraine is more dangerous than riding train in Swizerland for 24/7 Very Happy
    It's too soon to think about europe invasion, too many things can change. Right now Iran is the key to many things...

Like her? Not in "that" way. Here cousines are the same as "sisters/brothers", i noticed people treat cousins differently in other parts of the world, but we even call them "2nd brother/2nd sister".
    I mentioned it because i feel "uneasy" somtimes - when you meet someone of your family whom you didn't see for long, didn't greet with birthday, or marrige, or birth of the child etc. you get this "bad relative" aura. And it's good when you can fix it a little.

Now, i never though i'll be suffering from mosquitos... in appartment, on 11th floor! Little bastards are small, but annoying and they really caught me unprepared, with no anti-air defenses availible at home Mad I tried to sleep with air conditioner working, hoping it will disrupt their navigation and manuvering, but they manage somehow...
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 7/21/2012, 4:13 pm

Aside from being unsafe, cases of people being pushed down the rail has increased in various western countries. So stay somewhat away from the edges. On the other side I dunno how dangerous it is around your area. I know you gotta run when you see someone in Italy who rides a bike with a helmet on or carrying some music instrument cases. Laughing
    Could it be people in your area run away from luxury cars like in russia?

I see, so it's very similar to most asian and tribal societies where family is still important. Europeans are probably the only ones who don't have this system. I kind of like that family closeness.

As a person whose is always targeted I would recommend to buy a flyswatter. There are electrical ones that can "suck" them "magnetically". Also do not open you windows from 6pm. They are very active from that time. I know it's hot at your place but it's better to open after midnight with lights out.

AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT 7/22/2012, 5:17 pm

Isnt's flyswatter is a little impractical? I'm heavily outnambered!
    But i got just what i need today, now mosquitos get it Twisted Evil Although i'm usualy against bio/chemical weapons..

But who knows, maybe these are no ordinary mosquitos at all Very Happy

Random Thought - Page 20 Robotic+Mosquitos+%284%29

http://verydemotivational.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/demotivational-posters-mosquitos.jpg
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 7/22/2012, 9:12 pm

AlexT wrote:Isnt's flyswatter is a little impractical?
    Nope. The success kill rate is very high. One swat=one success.
    You only have to give the final blow to ensure it's dead. If you use anything else to swat it you won't be as successful.

Are you sure you want to use chemicals in your room? Optionally, there are (asian) oils that have a strong smell. Well, some are no good these days, though. There are also similar new ointment you can use.

In the us homes usually have grilles/grates in front of windows/doors that holds them back. Maybe you can modify your flat?

--------------
    Looks like the final verdict on Breivik will be in a month. I'm really curious if it's gonna be a political verdict, like declaring him insane, hence, making it a non-racial issue. I wouldn't be surprised if. After all, among aid organizations Norway is known to be one of the violent countries against foreigners just as much as russia.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 5/7/2024, 3:35 am