Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.

Kin of the Stars

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Kin of the Stars

A community for the fans of Crest of the Stars, Abh culture, anime, technology, science fiction, video games, and friendly conduct.

2 posters

You Can't Run The DVD When It's Not Connected To The Tv!

mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 4193
    Imperial Credits : 17865
    Registration date : 2009-04-10

You Can't Run The DVD When It's Not Connected To The Tv! Empty You Can't Run The DVD When It's Not Connected To The Tv!

Post by mitsuki lover 5/11/2009, 2:09 pm

Ok so that seems overly obvious but I did find that out this weekend.Seems that the DVD player needs to be hooked to the tv in able for it to work properly...DUH! tongue
    Backing up...
    a couple weeks ago the cable company set a worker over to fix our outside cable that had come off because of the winter snow.When he finished he connected it directly to the tv and said we shouldn't have any trouble watching either the DVD or Video the way it was hooked up.The only thing we couldn't do was
    tape anything.
    Well on Saturday my machine wouldn't run Urusei Yatsura OVA 1:Inaba The Dreammaker so I decided to try it in the living room.
    I got squat...nothing...it wouldn't work at all!!!
    After running around like a squirrel I finally gave up.Not before I was a bit steaming though. Mad
    So looks like we will have to get a thing to connect the tv to the DVD/Video player again.
    P.S.I did manage to watch Fancy Lala instead.
    Also why is it that certain discs won't run when others will?
    JGZinv
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 681
    Imperial Credits : 12640
    Registration date : 2009-03-17

You Can't Run The DVD When It's Not Connected To The Tv! Empty Re: You Can't Run The DVD When It's Not Connected To The Tv!

Post by JGZinv 5/11/2009, 2:13 pm

Take the output from the dvd player and directly attach it to the tv.
    Make sure you're on the right input channel.

If it don't work, it's probably a dead dvd player.

An RCA plug switch box is easy to get a hold of, but they run about $20.
    A Coax switch box you might as well forget about, and you shouldn't use coax with dvd anyway.

Cable installers are NOT always correct about which they speak. Everything worth a grain
    of salt...

Concerning discs, a player's ability to read discs greatly depends on the laser used. El cheapo's tend to loose strength over time and are not powerful enough to blast through scratches in some cases, among other reasons. You might also consider if the disc is a different region code? How scratched up it is? Could be how the disc was encoded at the factory too...

I've got a sony that is real picky about scratched rental dvds, but I shove the dvd into a vhs/dvd combo player right below it, and it'll usually play fine. It's typical and a common issue.

mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 4193
    Imperial Credits : 17865
    Registration date : 2009-04-10

You Can't Run The DVD When It's Not Connected To The Tv! Empty Re: You Can't Run The DVD When It's Not Connected To The Tv!

Post by mitsuki lover 5/13/2009, 11:34 am

Scratches haven't been an issue with the DVD player thus far.Both
    my Vandread and vol.3 of Pretear DVDs had scratches on them but play fine once I cleaned them.
    Why it won't play the two discs I mentioned is a mystery because all of the fansubs I got from the same source as the Live Action Sailor Moon vol.2 play fine and the Urusei Yatsura movie which I got from Rightstuf along with the OVA plays fine as well.
    Perhaps I will have to get a new machine sometime in the future.
    As far as the cable goes:I ended up going to Radio Shack and spending $10 on buying a new coxial cable to connect the machine to the tv in the living room.Why they make everything so small that you can hardly connect everything is another mystery.(The size of the ports)
    Anyways after about 5-10 minutes of fooling around I finally got it fixed.Just in time too since my mom got a season full of Here's Lucy
    DVDs from my sister in Alaska for Mother's Day and also my dad got another Bill Gaither Trio Homecoming DVD from Publisher's Clearinghouse.
    JGZinv
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 681
    Imperial Credits : 12640
    Registration date : 2009-03-17

Post by JGZinv 5/13/2009, 11:37 am

Ah my pastor is heavily into the Gaither Vocal Band.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 4/26/2024, 11:44 am