Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.

Kin of the Stars

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Kin of the Stars

A community for the fans of Crest of the Stars, Abh culture, anime, technology, science fiction, video games, and friendly conduct.

+2
mitsuki lover
Almael
6 posters

Star Trek XI movie talk (spoilers)

Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 2849
    Imperial Credits : 18982
    Registration date : 2009-03-18

Star Trek XI movie talk (spoilers) Empty Star Trek XI movie talk (spoilers)

Post by Almael 7/2/2009, 11:41 am

The movie is passable as far as it concerns non-Star Trek fans.

The thing I hate in this one is the use of always moving camera shots.
    The camera should move around in order to give the viewer a more detailed look at whatever, but the way the makers these days do is just for fashion.
    You don't see a thing. You see what's going on but you can't see anything clearly.
    This movie has a lot of lighting which even further worsens the shots. Couldn't they at least stopped when kirk was punched and touched Uhura?

The story: 'a vengeful crew from 2387 happens to get back 180 years in time to change the future'
    isn't new or hasn't been a surprise, nor was the lack of restoring the timeline.
    With this the Star Trek timeline we know has ended and a new one created as expected.

It's the first time the contemporary Enterprise of the starting event timeline failed to show up.
    Anyway, so some star goes supernova without anyone able to foresee...and it's close enough to destroy Romulus.
    Which means that star should be somewhere in the neigborhood.
    In the real world there should be several deca thousands of years of warning visible except some other crazy guy just blew it up for fun.

Spoke rushes to the rescue with some kind of matter which can create blackholes. One drop is enough to do so, but for some reason a whole tank of that stuff does not create a blackhole.
    Spoke fails to come in time, hence, got some vengeful Romulans on his tail. These very Romulans happens to be in orbit around Romulus and happens to somehow survive the supernova blast btw.
    Both get sucked into the blackhole and thrown back in time, but emerge at different points in time.

The first ship we see is a destroyer class with a crew of 800. This is certainly exaggerated. Past ships of such class can't be that big nor be able to support such numbers.
    I think I know were they got their hype for the 700-900 crew numbers ever since the Star Trek X movie.
    I suppose some know-nothing smart-ass came across military unit numbers for deployment and just adopted without any thoughts.
    I'm not going to rant further on this, but I will post some thoughts in the space battle thread.

I don't know why a civilian(?) romulan mining ship has torpedoes and has genuine Romulan workers and not Remans slaves, but whatever.
    So Kirk senior rams the Romulan manually and disappears with his ship. Here is another failed opportunity to show the ejectable bridge. Well, he wouldn't be a hero if he survived, I guess.

I doubt all the crew could be evacuated with such numbers of shuttles, but whatever.

Another change was that Uhura is together with Spok instead of Kirk. I wonder if there is still some racial stuff going on here with the writers/producers.

Kirk & co make some orbital jump in null-gravity orbit and then use parachutes obviously far above the ground. I doubt there is enough air to break their fall.
    Kirk could barely hold on while his chute was dragging him away from that thing.
    He then activated auto-retract of the chute. Tsk, half the retract force should apply to him and the chute, and effectively overwhelm his grip which was already at the limit.
    Why didn't he die? I wouldn't mind having Spoke as Captain for a change.

Anyway, for some reason smart, aware and adult Spoke just lost control when Kirk mentioned his mother..., right, giving Kirk command.

So dumbass Kirk got promoted over the senior Spoke to Captain. Seriously, even if field promoted, in a serious Army you will be back to cardet once the emergency is over and you are back to the fold.
    However, it would give you a higher chance to be promoted a bit faster than others, though. The only exception would be if there is no more Army left.

In the end, we have a human dominated federation and the smart vulcans becoming extinct. Oh great, the universe just got more hostile.

It's the first time we don't get to see a warp core. However, we get to see some assumed generation system which uses some (turbine) generator to produce assumed engery.
    For some reason the clearly clean fluid transfering the energy is normal water with no heat, so lucky Scotty survived his short entrappment in the system.

There were some short pleasureable scenes as when Kirk got whatever vaccine shot gave him big palms. For some reason the non-hurting (reason of existence) hypospray were hurting him btw.
    Dunno if the crazy marine was included for fun or not, but the feds obviously have no military training to speak of otherwise all the parachute problems shown would be there.
    The chase on some vulcan moon was fun, although, it's strange why that creature would chase little Kirk instead of the bigger meal. I guess his charm does not work on women only which also seem to superceed that of a green orion (slave) woman.

All in all, we got to see some average story, pissing contests, (planned?) dumbness for action, and a happy Kirk; in other words an average action movie.

Btw. the Kobayashi Maru test is winable without the need of cheating. A rather casual player like me was able to come close to win so many times, I wouldn't wonder if the better veterans can pull it of.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 4195
    Imperial Credits : 17867
    Registration date : 2009-04-10

Star Trek XI movie talk (spoilers) Empty Re: Star Trek XI movie talk (spoilers)

Post by mitsuki lover 7/13/2009, 2:05 pm

So was Vulcan destroyed or did the Romulans kill off the Vulcans?
    btw:Patrick Stewart turned 69 today.
    So from now on any ST film will be set in an entirely different universe than the one we grew up loving.
    And one more question...are you sure they were Marines and not MACOS the same as the ones on Enterprise?Or were MACOS some sort of Marines to begin with?
    All I know is the leader of the MACOS was played on Enterprise by Steven Culp who had a recurring role on JAG as a C.I.A. operative.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 7/13/2009, 3:47 pm

mitsuki lover wrote:So was Vulcan destroyed or did the Romulans kill off the Vulcans?
    Spoiler:

btw:Patrick Stewart turned 69 today.
    He's as old as when the old team started to fade out with the TNG movies, abother reason for their new beginning.

So from now on any ST film will be set in an entirely different universe than the one we grew up loving.
    Yeah, it's no joke. IMHO it would be better if they changed out all the characters, though.
    Edit: Please notice that with the exception of Commander Spock everyone of the hero-team is a cadet without a rank, but gets promoted to top senior position on the "spot".

And one more question...are you sure they were Marines and not MACOS the same as the ones on Enterprise?Or were MACOS some sort of Marines to begin with?
    All I know is the leader of the MACOS was played on Enterprise by Steven Culp who had a recurring role on JAG as a C.I.A. operative.

Dunno. The only freak who had explosives and enjoying it. There were no visible marines or security I can remember or had been mentioned specifically.
    MACO (Military Assault Command Operations)
    I don't particulary follow these things too closely, though, but I do notice lots of stuff on the side.

Edit: Another thing amiss that I remember now was the (electric cloud) tip-off for Kirk. This phenomenon hapens when the time-travellers pass into the past, which obviously happens only two times and normal scifi says only at the same spot (romulus), but it happened at Vulcan??
    Spoiler:
    However, one highlight was the Starfleet HQ space station, the one that had been designed way back but was never shown before.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 7/22/2009, 2:05 pm

Technically though since Enterprise happens a century BEFORE TOS that would make Enterprise the only series not affected by the change in timelines.Unless the whole time travel had a backward effect as well as a forward one.
    Of course for all we know someone from the distant future traveled back to the late 20th Century and manipulated the Quantum Leap Accelator to make Sam leap into Captain Archer as a means to stop the timeline from
    changing at that point:"OH BOY!!!!"
    Or as a certain Vulcan Science Officer *koff*T'Pol*koff*:
    "The Vulcan Science Academy has proven that time travel is impossible."
    So according to T'Pol and the entire Vulcan Science Academy the events of
    the new Star Trek movie were impossible!!!!
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 7/27/2009, 7:00 am

Well, if you look at the tech in Enterprise then it's closer to the past Star Trek then the 'aft-jet like warp nacelles' of the new Star Trek.

The Vulcan Science Acedmy is wrong because it's no more. Razz
    "After we eliminate the impossible, whatever is left, must be true." So logically the academy was wrong.
    JGZinv
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 681
    Imperial Credits : 12640
    Registration date : 2009-03-17

Post by JGZinv 8/10/2009, 6:13 pm

Logically of course...

mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 8/19/2009, 1:54 pm

Though since Enterprise occurs 100 years before the Star Trek movie it would be logical to assume that it would be unaffected by the timeline change.
    "I HATE Temporal Mechanics!"Chief O'Brien.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 8/19/2009, 2:36 pm

*bwahahaha*
    Janeway: "Don't try."

Still, I'm curious where this is all going. Will it just die out or will they try another different startup?
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Number of posts : 542
    Imperial Credits : 12458

Post by AlexT 9/22/2009, 8:42 am

Um, dunno how average it's gonna be, but one of my favorite video tutorial concept artists works on this movie - Ryan Church, so i'll definately go see it Very Happy
    tanis1lionheart
    tanis1lionheart
    Front Flyer
    Front Flyer

Number of posts : 198
    Imperial Credits : 11610
    Registration date : 2009-05-06

Post by tanis1lionheart 9/26/2009, 8:01 am

I finally saw it.

Think if it keeps on going that route it'll be a good revamping of the series.

Like 'Batman Begins' was to the live-action batman movies.

I'd love to see another 'Star Trek' series, one with balls.
    lymhfeubdach
    lymhfeubdach
    Rear Flyer
    Rear Flyer

Number of posts : 116
    Imperial Credits : 11473
    Registration date : 2009-03-24

Post by lymhfeubdach 10/4/2009, 2:25 am

I hear enough about the movie not go see it and one friends told me all spoilers. I decide was not going to waste $7.00 to watch a film that did not live up star trek name. However, I would be favor another star trek series down the road.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 4/26/2024, 3:55 pm