Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.

Kin of the Stars

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Kin of the Stars

A community for the fans of Crest of the Stars, Abh culture, anime, technology, science fiction, video games, and friendly conduct.

4 posters

AlexT's sketches and concepts

mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 4195
    Imperial Credits : 17871
    Registration date : 2009-04-10

AlexT's sketches and concepts - Page 2 Empty Re: AlexT's sketches and concepts

Post by mitsuki lover 5/22/2009, 11:41 am

Up next on Dr. Phil:Men Who Love Manly Abh Women! lol!
    Seriously though I perfer my women to have that Girl-Next-Door look to them.
    JGZinv
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 681
    Imperial Credits : 12644
    Registration date : 2009-03-17

Post by JGZinv 5/22/2009, 12:24 pm

Dr. Phil isn't a Dr.... he's not certified as one.

mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 5/25/2009, 1:52 pm

I was of course joking. What a Face
    Though I was serious about those mini-skirts for all Abh female officers...Durn it!If Uhura could wear one on Star Trek why not Spoor and Lafiel?
    Come to think of it I think Spoor would love it!!!
    JGZinv
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Post by JGZinv 5/25/2009, 2:26 pm

She could torment her chief of staff... with her legs....

Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 2849
    Imperial Credits : 18986
    Registration date : 2009-03-18

Post by Almael 5/25/2009, 4:56 pm

Abhs do have skirts but it's no convenient for hull breaches, hence, everyone wears space worthy clothing on ships. geek
    Actually, Spoor's country has the least resctriction (I think). *cough* You would like it there very much mitsuki. (which leads to....)

I will open a thread for Lost Story characters, there you can post the final pictures.
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Number of posts : 542
    Imperial Credits : 12462

Post by AlexT 5/27/2009, 6:58 pm

This is working sketch of "realistic Spoor" - no fancy stuff, just important pencil lines to start with. All the "end result stuff" will be later - when i'll start doing some portraits, scenes etc.

It's impossible to keep 100% of anime look due to human vs anime characters nature, but i think this is as close as it gets... Personaly - i like the feel of this one. Can work on expression a bit - this one is too "warm" vs slightly "cold" anime spoor, but color should change a lot of things.

AlexT's sketches and concepts - Page 2 Spoorn.th
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 5/28/2009, 3:45 pm

Hmm...it does look good like this, but when I enhance it... *profound sweeting*

I think she is a bit thin, though.
    She is as young as Lexhue so it's better with no bone cheeks, make the cheeks a bit wider.
    Also her neck should be more straight not that curved. Necks only curve slightly inside but always get wider downwards.
    I think it's better to let her ears be covered by hair or half of them. Seeing the top ear parts most likely will look like elf's pointed ears.
    10+% wider shoulders (the arms!); the uniform should do. (Admirals have double uniform/badge lines btw.)
    I'm not sure about eye lids, but it looks alright.
    I think she should have thicker eye brows, but it looks alright, though.
    You might want to practice making curves for women. Wink
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT 5/28/2009, 7:20 pm

Hmm...it does look good like this, but when I enhance it... *profound sweeting*
    Welcome to the real world Smile Anime character will always look better vs realistic ones, especialy in pencil (cuz of high contrast). Just adding all the missing details to typical anime face will make it less attractive. We humans don't like too much of our own human stuff Smile

Faces are very different so whatever i draw - it's ok . Human face is very flexible and range of proportions/sizes is very wide. Compare these:
    http://www.sirimo.co.uk/media/stiffupperlypse/sultry_blonde_wearing_pearl_necklace.jpg
    http://www.xarj.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/mad-blonde.jpg
    It's all about which look and suits certain character better.

Ok, i think i'll post coloring of this one step by step so u can see entire process. Here is very light color. It usualy look worst of all at this stage since then it gets more depth and contrast. Best viewed at "actual pixel size". Did color change overal feel for better or worse?
    https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/img43/9162/spoorlightcolor.jpg
    Thumbnail was removed - it looks awful when small
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 5/28/2009, 9:37 pm

I'm very familiar with reality since I'm playing with 3D more than 2D. Razz
    There are tricks to make them good even with details. Wink

I see that you used muscle for reconstruction., but
    *whispers* she needs some fat.
    *ahem*

Well, since you use jpg looking at pixel isn't useful. It's all blurred. (One of the reason I don't like the XP/Vista MS Paint, Photoshop.)

The coloring looks good. I like the changing shade.
    Did you use color pencil and color markers?
    JGZinv
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Post by JGZinv 5/29/2009, 4:07 am

Use GIF for simply B&W images... preserves the line clarity and
    you'll end up with a much smaller file size.

Infranview can handle batch processing if you want that too.

Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 5/30/2009, 7:00 am

Well, gif is good for a certain color mix and depends on the program which saves it as gif.
    I recommend to work on high quality format and then save on formats which save space but retain the good look. IMHO knowledge of formats and compression is essential for computer artists.
    I prefer png when I want to release high quality pictures, gif for lesser quality. I use jpg only for unimportant or when space is more important than anything else.
    These were chosen based on compression and licenses. Tiff is of course the hisghest quality format.
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT 6/11/2009, 12:34 pm

Here's stage 2 of my steb by step "drawing Spoor" Smile
    I'm not too happy with it, but just i lack experience for full color work at the moment. Things would be a lot better if i used references i.e. woman face photos but it's bad for learning - trying to follow instructions i've been given and render everything out of my head..

Once again - best viewed at full size...thumbnail make it look bad so i'm not including it. And be warned - every browser lie about color. I don't know why,
    probably ignores color OS profiles..so if it look redish - know that
    its browser's fault Wink
    https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/img3/8337/spoorcolorstage2small.jpg
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 6/11/2009, 3:10 pm

AlexT wrote:trying to follow instructions i've been given and render everything out of my head..
    It's all imagination Babe! Laughing
    (Doesn't look that much different.)
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT 6/11/2009, 3:49 pm

Almael wrote:
    AlexT wrote:trying to follow instructions i've been given and render everything out of my head..
    It's all imagination Babe! Laughing
    (Doesn't look that much different.)
    It's not realy about imagination...more like memory. It's about recreating face that never existed in small details. Knowledge of anatomy come in handy.
    But what did you expect? It's about shading and color, shape not going to change a lot.

Oh well, i should stick to simplier stuff and practice blocking better. It's common trap you fall into when you start working on details early. But i learned a lot from it at least. Still - kinda sad...can't do the same thing i do with live drawing session.
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT 7/29/2009, 7:17 pm

3 weeks spent studying traditional art - figures, faces,measurements, skeletons, shading etc etc. And i thought 3D is complicated thing Razz
    Anyway - whatever i knew about how to draw human figure, proportions and anatomy...well - i didn't Smile It's not like i became "Neo" in just 3 weeks, but now at least "i know Kung-Fu" Smile

So, here is my new little sketch - it's a memory drawing, no photos and references used except for certain individual that move around, make noise, distracting but inspiring me with her forms at least...
    Anyway - this is another realistic abh with just slightly anime face and pose. I guess it's new version of Wadrosal (Almael story character) She's floating in low gravity like Lafiel on popular pic (lymhfeubdach avatar for example). i also wanted to see how "tight" abh uniform would look on realistic body, especialy on somehting other that that super slim abh body Wink. I'll make inked and color version as well.I hope you'll like it.
    https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/img268/8884/wadlong.jpg
    Bonus: memory drawing of Lafiel (same body used)- something i always feared to draw because it's hard for noobs to replicate the look of existing manga/anime characters. Let's see if it worked now:
    AlexT's sketches and concepts - Page 2 Lafiel.th

Last edited by AlexT on 8/1/2009, 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 7/29/2009, 9:44 pm

So your rank now is beginner artist? Twisted Evil

I see improvement in your sketching skills regarding faces but proportions is still off.
    Wadrosal's upper body seems long. Shouldn't she have long legs? Wink

Lafiel looks very close. However, I think the eyes of both need improvements, especially the angle seem exaggerated.
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT 7/30/2009, 3:43 am

Beginner would be good actualy - there's a lot more to learn, but at least now i have some knowledge to back it up. Smile Drawing without reference (memory drawings) is always the worst case, that's why it's #1

Omg, i forgot the belt Very Happy
    You're right about upper body - a bit long for "shorter" legs... In this case it's all about height. There's actualy no big error, it's just the type of body - girls under 1.6m are usualy like this. However abhs are so i'll adjust it. Gonna re-post it soon.

EDIT: ok, you were right - i checked some book and it says, to put it simply, legs are usualy just a bit shorter than upper body+head. The reason why it may seem different is because of distribution of fat for each person etc etc.
    So here's updated one - just scaled legs a bit and yeah - looks better cheers

AlexT's sketches and concepts - Page 2 Wadlong.th
    Making something new atm..

Last edited by AlexT on 7/30/2009, 6:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 7/30/2009, 8:06 am

Laughing

Well, proportion supposely work for everyone and their genders except children.
    Other exceptions are rare anyway, except you want it to be so, of course.
    Besides, shorter women have relatively bigger boobs than big woman. Razz
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT 8/3/2009, 6:42 am

More Abh girls Smile. Probably Lorieth & Sileth from same story.
    It's a sketch so nevermind mess i made here and there.(hands still give me trouble, need to work on that)

AlexT's sketches and concepts - Page 2 Lorsil3.th

P.S. I updated Wad up there - longer legs now Smile
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 8/3/2009, 1:40 pm

Now that are curves! Laughing I love you
    Alright, now you're ready for wild ones I guess. Twisted Evil
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 8/3/2009, 2:08 pm

I'd like to see a bit of coloration as it is hard to really see the sketches with my computer.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 8/3/2009, 4:42 pm

Mitsuki, use irfanview, it's free. You can change the image's color, contrast or brightness for better view. use (shift-g)
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT 8/4/2009, 5:26 pm

Here it is in color. Tried anime theme, at lest as far as i can. Anime coloring is a mystery to me yet, especialy how they decide where to place highlights...

AlexT's sketches and concepts - Page 2 82699223.th
    I added some changes to wrists as you see. There are minor proportions problems but otherwise i think i'm happy enough with this one. I'll get back to it later once i feel like doing serious cleanup and rework.
    What should i draw next? Taking suggestions.Smile
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT 10/19/2009, 6:12 am

Abh food "habits", repost from "Abh social and culture" AlexT's sketches and concepts - Page 2 Icon_biggrin

AlexT's sketches and concepts - Page 2 27793068
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 10/19/2009, 9:17 am

Except for the swine anything seemed off.

Btw. please name me all drinks you know which have moscow/moskva in their name.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 4/27/2024, 8:47 pm