Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.

Kin of the Stars

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Kin of the Stars

A community for the fans of Crest of the Stars, Abh culture, anime, technology, science fiction, video games, and friendly conduct.

4 posters

Thoughts on college?

Verethragna
    Verethragna
    Chief
    Chief

Number of posts : 27
    Imperial Credits : 6603
    Registration date : 2015-07-02

Thoughts on college? Empty Thoughts on college?

Post by Verethragna 9/15/2016, 8:04 pm

So this might be weird but I figured maybe some of you were old enough/there right now. But is college still worth it? From what I have heard/researched it keeps climbing in the debt pool. At least in america having to spend over 50,000 for one year is rather ridiculous O.o

My degree if i went would be for a field in the IT(Information Technology) department but what exactly I would do is still up for debate(Suggestions?) I looked into Computer science....Nope
    Web design look intriguing is also portfolio based so I would not need a degree. Just a thought I needed to get out as parents tend to be "Go to college." Would like to think this through and not pend my life paying off college loans........
    spoor356
    spoor356
    Front Flyer
    Front Flyer

Number of posts : 215
    Imperial Credits : 12505
    Registration date : 2009-04-19

Thoughts on college? Empty Re: Thoughts on college?

Post by spoor356 9/15/2016, 11:58 pm

It depends greatly on what say you intend to do or more so, what certifications that you have already. College is a great learning experience, unless you have to immediately borrow. In which case I would recommend finding a profession and getting certifications. I do not know which nation you may be referring to but if you can keep it under 50000 for two years, like what I pay now about 7000, that would be doable and worth it.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 4195
    Imperial Credits : 17869
    Registration date : 2009-04-10

Post by mitsuki lover 9/16/2016, 1:27 pm

Is what you're looking at something that needs a four year college degree or could you take
    courses at a local junior or community college to get the same sort of degree?
    If there's a community or junior college near you that offers what you're looking for that probably
    is something you should think about looking into.
    spoor356
    spoor356
    Front Flyer
    Front Flyer

Post by spoor356 9/17/2016, 12:04 am

Yeah, you and the rest of us really need much more information to provide a good argument for whether or not the value of college suits you. I would adamantly argue yes, even if just for two years so long as you do not indebt yourself. I suppose the real question in my mind is what degree do you desire. I would argue if you do not want a degree, then college is worth the experience for two or so years if one can manage the cost. Otherwise if you feel a degree suits you and understand its role in your field, then pursue it at reasonable cost.
    Verethragna
    Verethragna
    Chief
    Chief

Post by Verethragna 9/18/2016, 2:02 am

Hmm okay, Country being United States of America. I will look into it a bit more thank you for the insight Smile I cannot tell you the degree yet as I have yet to decide fully. The field would undoubtedly be Information Technology. As I look deeper I am going to probably decide between Software Developer or Web designer. Both sound intriguing and are possibilities for my own work hours. Which is appealing to me, then again, I imagine it would be for most. xD
    spoor356
    spoor356
    Front Flyer
    Front Flyer

Post by spoor356 9/18/2016, 3:04 pm

Ok, I would say yes, especially in that field, but expect a lot of programming classes for no good reason. Get books or resources on CSS, Matlab, Java, and HMTL 5
    Verethragna
    Verethragna
    Chief
    Chief

Post by Verethragna 9/19/2016, 12:04 am

I am not very concerned with the Programming classes all in all I would honestly prefer a lot of different programming classes so long as they teach different languages. What I am most concerned with is if said college is going to bunk me into some unnecessary math classes. As along with a lot of students my math skills are pretty poor. I read on different articles whilst researching what the average cost and such would be for said degree, what got me was this quote.

"you need to know basic algebra and practice strong problem–solving skills. Other than these two prerequisites, the degree of math you need to know is highly dependent on the project you are working on."

Would the amount of math depends on a college's Software developer/engineering educational program? By the way thanks for answering me so many times xD

Last edited by Verethragna on 9/19/2016, 12:07 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Sent without completing xD)
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 9/21/2016, 1:25 pm

Worry about the cost later, the important thing is improving your math skills.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 2849
    Imperial Credits : 18984
    Registration date : 2009-03-18

Post by Almael 9/21/2016, 2:12 pm

Sorry for being late.
    The cost are mostly the same everywhere, the biggest difference is whether you are a resident or not.
    For cheap you got to live in the area for awhile to get the resident's only prices which is a substantial difference (50%-100% less). If you move to another state you should plan to live there for a year ahead of time. You will have to be jobbing anyway so start looking. Unless you are good avoid jobbing for more than 40 hours a week or total 80-100 hours school+job. For most people it seems to be troublesome when they reach 80 hours. For me it was trouble if it went beyond 112 hours not counting 1 hour of driving each way.

Well, IT has many possible directions as you have seen, yet, it's not so different from other engineering fields other than programming languages.
    Web related requires the most skill in learning languages which basically means you got to be able to adjust and learn fast new language developements. Most of the time I don't see a problem as most languages have similar basics/working it's only the specific command terms that are different. There are only two major families of syntax you have to know (e.g. C-esque, and more formal Pascal/Basic).

As far as math goes it depends you need at least 101 & 102 college level math. If you go all out seriously there is little difference to a math major other than when you start specializing in depth. As engineer it's possible you may have for example Discrete mathematics 1&2, Thermodynamics, Mechanics, Physics 1 & 2, Statistics etc. Just basics... if you go for robotics or aeronautics you need more in depth classes from other fields e.g. biology, earth science, chemistry, "green technologies" classes, material/nano-tech etc.  These aside you should take at least one business/accounting class. You may need to write contracts, cost planning etc.
    Depending on your choice (e.g. aeronautics, robotics) you may need to be smarter than the 98% percentile university level and still have to know more than the rest. I did it all these.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 9/23/2016, 5:26 pm

If you're planning on something like aeronautics be sure you have a plan B just in case, in fact you should have a plan B ready if you don't have one as none of us knows what the future may bring.

I don't know if you have considered this option or not: but have you considered looking into enlisting in the military?
    You could check around to see if the army navy or marines have a specialty in the area you're looking
    at.

I'm just throwing it out as another option if college doesn't work out.

But then you said you were Junior right? So you still have time to mull things through.
    Take your time and don't rush, that way you're sure not to make a mistake.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 4/26/2024, 9:50 pm