Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.

Kin of the Stars

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Kin of the Stars

A community for the fans of Crest of the Stars, Abh culture, anime, technology, science fiction, video games, and friendly conduct.

2 posters

useful image tools

Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 2849
    Imperial Credits : 18984
    Registration date : 2009-03-18

useful image tools Empty useful image tools

Post by Almael 7/18/2012, 2:29 pm

Post about useful image tools in general as the title says.
    the usual tools:
    Irfanview
    xnview
    gimp
    paintnet

Anyway, I want to talk about a specific issue(s): file size reduction
    more specifictly color reduction
    I have been quite unhappy ever since windows xp no longer supports 16 bit colors for desktop as well as images. Since then all image manipulation programs also no longer support 16 bit formats (or versions).
    Now a day it has become more important since I do mods. I used to use an old DOS program for converting normal PNG 32/24bit to 16 bit. Since I lost it among other things recently I have been looking hard for a replacement. Nada so far. None satisfy my requirement nor can I find the old one again. However, it appears L3DT can save 16 bit images. Far from what I need...
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Number of posts : 542
    Imperial Credits : 12460

useful image tools Empty Re: useful image tools

Post by AlexT 7/21/2012, 4:09 pm

Hmm, i never paid attention to such issue, but ithink i can do everything in photoshop... Actually it's the only programm i need for like everything, except for quick view/manipulation so i don't know many programms that can convert images...

But i'm sure there should be plenty of what you need, it's just finding if and how they perform that certain action is not easy until you try em..
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 2849
    Imperial Credits : 18984

Post by Almael 7/21/2012, 4:23 pm

Nah, I don't like Adoby software that much and Photoshop isn't that good only for "photo pictures" not images where you need quality or sharpness or precision; in other word, for anything where it counts. Because of that it's good for making fakes, so you can't determine due to it's bad quality. Photoshop can convert but it has not that good options. The old one I got I could set a percentage of quality based on which the number of colors is reduced. I just can't find any that does that anymore. Being a DOS program I want a small sized one, too.
    I found people saying RawTherapee can do it.
    I only tested PVRTexTool yet, it does a very good job, but no way to set a level, either.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 4/27/2024, 12:30 pm