Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.

Kin of the Stars

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Kin of the Stars

A community for the fans of Crest of the Stars, Abh culture, anime, technology, science fiction, video games, and friendly conduct.

4 posters

Sharing knowledge

Desgael
    Desgael
    3rd class crewman
    3rd class crewman

Number of posts : 12
    Imperial Credits : 10554
    Registration date : 2010-01-06

Sharing knowledge Empty Sharing knowledge

Post by Desgael 6/30/2012, 1:44 pm

Hello everybody!

Nice to see this place is still not completely deserted. Smile

I keep coming here from time to time, mostly to see that there's still life in here and also - for a remote chance that someone might have some news on what is going on with Seikai universe.

Considering that last novel from Hiroyuki-san was published back in 2004 and since then only a couple of short stories seen light, I have a feeling that there might be no further development of the story.

Still, it would be great to know what author is doing nowadays and there is really not much on the net regarding this.

So, I am writing here for two purposes:

1 - show that there are live people who keep coming here, even if there are only a dozen of us or so Smile

2 - check if anyone heard any news on what is going with Seikai series or (being more realistic) with Hiroyuki-san

Thank you for your time in any case, whoever might be reading this. =)
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 2849
    Imperial Credits : 18984
    Registration date : 2009-03-18

Sharing knowledge Empty Re: Sharing knowledge

Post by Almael 6/30/2012, 3:05 pm

Welcome to the forum, Desgael!

We haven't really abandoned the forum as most of us come by from time to time. Now that we reopened it we are coming more often and post.

-------

Desgael wrote:
    1 - show that there are live people who keep coming here, even if there are only a dozen of us or so Smile

2 - check if anyone heard any news on what is going with Seikai series or (being more realistic) with Hiroyuki-san

Thank you for your time in any case, whoever might be reading this. =)

Last year when I checked SnS5 seemed to finally get printed as it was listed on the publisher's site:
    http://www1.odn.ne.jp/yuzawa/new/hayakawaja.html

http://www.kuromori.com/_cgi-bin/media/media.cgi
    http://logmemo.org/hayabusa.2ch.net/news4vip/1336816334

But nothing yet.

Hiroyuki Morioka regulary publishes short stories in japan's SF magazine. Since we don't have access among other thing it's difficult to check.

Last year Morioka finished a series called "Kaze to Tanpopo ~wakusei kan monogatari~" (Dandellion Wind ~ Ring World Legends ~)
    and gave an Interview here
    http://www.yomban.jp/works/seikai/interview.html
    http://www.comic-gekkin.com/works/seikai/interview.html
    backup: http://www.avi.com.cn/bbs/read.php?tid=178952

There is still hope for Seikai no Senki V.

There are some new Seikai items sold by Sunrise:
    http://www.sunrise-inc.co.jp/seikai/

Last edited by Almael on 6/30/2012, 4:09 pm; edited 3 times in total
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 6/30/2012, 3:13 pm

What follows is the translation of the interview found here:
    http://www.yomban.jp/works/seikai/interview.html
    http://www.comic-gekkin.com/works/seikai/interview.html
    (re-posted and re-edited)

Morioka Hiroyuki, best known for Seikai and Wakusei kan monogatari, talks about the old and new series.

"You shall call me Lafiel" shouted the girl from the masterpiece in the SF world, the Seikai series.
    And he started a new series in 2009 with "Kaze to Tanpopo ~ wakusei kan monogatari ~" (Dandellion Wind ~ Ring World Legends ~).
    TL note: 2009-02-02
    Hiroshi Morioka was asked about these 2 works and the Seikai DVD-BOX (included) subnovels.

Writing about a "Galactic Empire" in "Seikai no Monshou" and "Seikai no Senki"

-- First, could you tell us about the circumstances of the birth of Seikai no Monshou (※ 1)?

Morioka: Since my highschool days I wanted to write about a "Galactic Empire". I was going to write it then.
    First, it would start with a young man entering the space forces. With the support of "superior officer and sister type"
    I thought about a little story wanting to lead to the realization that the woman is of royalty at last, but, as would be expected, this would have been boring.
    The main character became Jinto (※ 2) who grew up in two different cultures, and will be introduced into the workings of the empire by Lafiel (※ 3), the "superior officer and sister type".

-- But there is a lot of SF settings peculiar to the "Seikai" series, for instance, the "Abh" (※ 4). But what is your the most favorite?

Morioka: I think that would be "plane-space" (※ 5). It's an interesting idea, if I may say so myself.
    When I thought about space-time with only the space without the time, I was puzzled. I thought that it would be dangerous when stopping (laughing).

-- Do you think the "space-time bubble" (※ 6) was drawn beautifully in the animation?

Morioka: I was very beautiful. One would not understand a concept of plane-space if one watches an animation.
    It is a strange dimensional space that has restrictions on movement. It's alright if you understand that. If you are more interested, I would be delighted if you read the original novel (laugh).

--In Seikai no Monshou the story starts off into space, then in the later half plays on the ground. And reversing the role of who's helping who, Lafiel and Jinto. What did you aimed for?

Morioka: Because Jinto was too deplorable in the first half, I thought to let him play an active part……(laugh).
    I remember that I enjoyed the part I wrote about the spatial-sensor organ (※ 7) and how Lafiel had to dye her hair (to hide) on the world (planet).

--Then came the sequel "Seikai no Senki" (※ Cool. Did you write it because you felt a strong (urge) for a sequal?

Morioka: It is a continuation but it is different. Monshou guided Jinto, the protagonist, into the Abh Empire. In Senki with Lafiel as the protagonist is the success story of a royal girl.
    [TL note: I didn't realized. Laughing]

--Of all new people now appearing and becoming regular in the sequal, like the crew of the Basroil (※ 9),
    why was there attention given to Ekuryua (※ 10)?

Morioka: She is unlike Lafiel, who is a contrast to Jinto, an extremly normal ordinary Abh.
    She was brought up in a big family, so there is a place for her to come back to
    Even on a boat, I guess, I think it's only temporary. The father, being an eccentric, had her accompany him here and there all the time as a child.
    Because of that some things might have changed (become strange to some extend).
    But the father is not Ekuryua's whole family. It may be such a feeling/impression as that of being the whole family, though (laugh).
    The Abh are not a single race, but the difference in (as one) family/breeding, that widens the racial difference. I wanted to give this variation.(?)
    I think you would have not noticed the size/extend of the world if I have not done so.
    I have put a lot of care in setting up the universe, that everyone (hopefully) thinks the same thing, do not hate it. (?)

Here I used for the lack of a word for the new idea "ring world" or "planetary ring world". But it is not the common understanding of an asteroid belt. It's about a chain of worlds forming a ring. Comparedly my own idea was an omnidirectional ring (omnidirectional wheel).

---------other series 'Kaze to Tanpopo ~wakusei kan monogatari~' Dandellion Wind ~Ring World Legends~ ---------------------

Thoughts about the orthodox world of school space opera - - "Kaze to Tanpopo ~wakusei kan monogatari~"

--Let's move now to the story of "Kaze to Tanpopo ~wakusei kan monogatari~ " (※ 11 ).
    Why would you intend to write about 'space' again from a higher point of view?

Morioka: Actually, the most request was about to write about 'space' (laughs).
    The Seikai series, appraised as the space opera, I do not mind that, but the truth is, it is different from the 'space opera' which I think about.
    First "superluminal flight" is useless. A super hero as main character is nothing but engine power, and play!
    Depending on an army of 10 million is cowardice (laughs).

--It's hot (laughs).

Morioka: That's why I thought about writing an "orthodox school space opera" in a "planetary ring world".
    No less than several hundreds of Earth-like planets float on the same orbit, where various aliens drift from/between worlds.
    There are no big nations or governements unifying the world. It's dominated by outlaws.

--Does "Kaze to Tanpopo" play in the Earth sphere?

Morioka: After talking about "a planetary ring" as the stage how can you ask about "why human beings are here"?
    Because I made up a place before I thought I would do this. It is a "planetary ring world" in a Newtonian world.

--When the "Lupian" (※ 12) appeared the solar system is attacked, but who are the "Lupian" to begin with?

Morioka: Actually, they exist to explain why there is no huge nation in "wakusei kan"/"planetary ring world" or wether technology is being held down.
    I do not know if the future will be called Lupian. They only serve for the existence of the "wakusei kan"/"planetary ring world"; the inhabitants do not know wether they have many interest or intentions.

--Now we are in 2010, what else will the future bring?

Morioka: It is blurry. It's impossible to predict for a hundred years.

--Did you thought of having the main characters Subaru (※ 13), Natsuhi (※ 14), and Yuuzutsu(Yuudutsu) (※ 15) as Ashizawa sisters from the very beginning?

Morioka: It was so from the beginning.

--Subaru has an ability like the Abh's spatial-sense (Frokaj) of grasping space?

Morioka: Her ability to grasp/realize the 4 dimensional space-time is close to a supernatural power.
    Yuuzutsu(Yuudutsu), the eldest daughter, excels in negotiation and coordination.
    Natsuhi is rather a popular class mate than a superior pilot receiving professional training.

--How did you come to the character design?

Morioka: I have no artistic taste (laughs).
    I have an opinion in advance of a meeting and have a complete notion; indeed that's how I feel.
    The idea for six of the episode illustrations was from Kōno-san (※ 16).
    I would have had a figure with a military uniform figure, but it's nowhere near the feeling you get from having an exposing leotard (※ 17) (laughs).

--The mechanical design (※ 18) seems like real machines.

Morioka: On the Earth side, the machines are further engineered utility/construction machines for (mounted) fighting jobs.
    It's difficult to create a weapon when I cannot get rid of the image of having a tractor and a bulldozer attached/fighting to each other.

--In the final phase of the story is called "escape from the solar system", but are there other countries than Japan who escaped the colony?

Morioka: America or Europe or ... India? They are doing a similar thing like a "dandelion plan".
    Why don't we come to communicate in english in "wakusei kan"? That's what I would like to see (laughs).

--How will 'wakusei kan monogatari' continue in the future?

Morioka: It's not a sole story, and I think there could be various stories coming from that setting.
    A story to explore the mystherious creators of the "wakusei kan". It should be the major point.

--In the DVD-BOX new written work of the "Seikai" series seems to be collected, but what kind of work will it be?

Morioka: Contents are not decided yet, but maybe it's about school. Because there are 3 volumes of 3 certain characters about a story of their school days.
    Who the characters are? .... this may change. For now, they are strictly under consideration (laughs).

--I look forward to it. Finally, a DVD-BOX the readers are eagerly awaiting for the newly written novels. Do you have a message to give?

Morioka: In the old days there was concern about the selling point of "Monshou" and the future of space.
    The driving force of the story comes from the hero from there (laughs). The story itself is very simple, and straightforward.
    "SenkiⅠ / Ⅱ" is Lafiel's success story. "SenkiⅢ" is a story about Jinto's triumphant return to his home.
    Well, if he could return he would be extremely happy. I think people are angry because it is rather unhappy.
    On the other side, can you be dissatisfied when the most beautiful girl of the Milky Way is beside you ... well?
    The "huge robot" is not going to appear in this work, but a space battleship will be coming out.
    It's a fun person to watch, so please watch it.
    Is this what you mean to hear?

--To add to the notion, it's a great adventure and a beautiful girl and a "good-looking man" (laughs). Thank you for today.

[February 2, 2010 / Bandai visual]
    Coverage / sentence / Shinichi Hikita photograph / doctor F

Notes:
    ※1 to 10
    Can be ready up on wikia or at some fan sites.

-------------------------------------------------
    Sharing knowledge Interview_subimg5
    ※11 Kaze to Tanpopo ~ wakusei kan monogatari ~

From February to October 2009, over 9 times, the series created by Morioka Hiroyuki was monthly published on the latest SF.
    The story takes place in space of the future earth zone where humans(humanity?) had build a huge man-made mobile city planet.
    Suddenly, a mysterious group of small heavenly bodies invaded the solar system from the distant direction of the Lupus constellation, called the "Callippic belt".
    It was a large group of ferocious "Lupian" beings that even "consumed" the main body of neighboring asteroids, and dwarf planets beginning with Pluto.
    Secretly, measures were pushed forward, and each country sensing the situation was going to form a defense organization for the cause using the name of
    "International Space Volunteers". Mamoru Ashizawa, the father of Subaru's two older sisters living on the mobile planet "Mizuho City", which was build by Japan;
    He was expected to work as an expert on space and as head of the governmental investigation, fell victim to the "Lupian" and was scattered into space.
    And the three sisters are left to carry on the serious/critical role and fate of each of the Earth's zone/region.
    The first work of the orthodox school space opera series "wakuseiXXkanXXmonogatari" where Hiroyuki Morioka elaborates a plan as for this product.
    It is "the beginning of things" for a story scheduled for a book, most expected in the future.

※12 Lupian 

The mysterious group of small heavenly bodies that invaded the solar system from the distant direction of the Lupus constellation.
    It was discovered approximately 15 years ago, and was named the "Callippic belt". It was assumed that a part of the belt had passed through the solar system
    at close proximity at first and passed by, but attracted people's attention because some(a number of) groups had diverged and headed toward the inner solar system.
    It was announced as an unusual natural phenomena, but the little information that was left/sent by a missing research vessel revealed the danger of Earth's destruction.
    On Earth a variety of governements invoked a state of emergency to set the defense system in motion.
    As the "Callippic belt" came from the direction of the Lupus constellation, the name Lupian was given for the people coming from there.
    Various speculations about the principle of the alien crafts, the theory for alien life, robotic theories, including the original purpose of their entry or departure were made, but their identity remained unknown.
    Their figure is similar to deep sea crustaceans skeleton, clad in tattered clothes/shreds of various sizes to give an impression of ferocious sharks.
    The nature of their properties is mysterious, but the intention is clearly that of aggression. It threaten the solar system, the earth zone, and the military
    powers gathered "a voluntary army" and increased their devotion for the defense of the planets and moons.
    The setting of the series is centered around a large number of terrestrial planets. These heavenly bodies
    could be thought of as being held artificially in rotation on the same orbit by a singularity as the origin of "wakuseiXXkan".
    But it is expected to become clear in the series future works.

※13 Ashizawa Subaru 

The third daughter among the three Ashizawa sisters becomes the main character in this work.
    The 15-year-old girl who lives on a man-made planet floating in (planetary plane?) orbit of the solar system, mobile city "Mizuho City" with a family (2 older sister, father).
    She was born on January 4th, in the 23th Cygnus (Swan constellation). An ordinary high school freshman with average grades, and not so good at sports who goes to the infantry(?) school in the northern Mizuho City area.
    She leads her ordinary days peacefully, but after the accomplished father died in space, the Japanese government found during an aptitude test for the
    "Dandelion plan" that she had developed very specific skill of spatial understanding. She was enlisted to the "international space
    volunteer" army as (lieutenant general?) which was to oppose the Lupian menace by force.
    She likes sweets and her favorite dish is taiyakigao which is being sold in the neighborhood's convenience store, but the new sale with blueberry taste seems to have been not good enough.
    If you write her name "Subaru" in Kanji it can mean "seven sisters". This is an archaic name for the "the Pleiades" constellation, a group of bright stars.
    [TL note: taiyakigao: fish-shaped pancake filled with bean jam
    I had to visually identify the cygnus constellation, as it seems no dictionary had it listed! Good thing I know these stuff.]

※14  Ashizawa Natsuhi 

The second daughter among the three Ashizawa sisters. She is like her younger sister Subaru. She is a senior high school student in the space work department in the northern Mizuho City area.
    She has a boyish (tomboy?) personality and is the type that is liked by anyone regardless wether they are man or woman.
    She received professional training to work in outer space and was waiting for her graduation, when the death of her father suddenly occured.
    She applied early for the Japanese Self-Defense Force upon graduation, and there is an implication for revenge.
    She proceeded to the space volunteer army and flies a small sized "Combat Boat" battle unit.
    She is a frontline soldier in the anti-Lupian battle. She faced death many times more than (death?), but due to her inherent character is highly respected by her peers.
    She becomes the centerpiece of the combat units.
    In addition, her name "Natsuhi" which is an archaic word meaning Mars, a summer day star (Natsuhi ぼし).

※15  Ashizawa Yuuzutsu(/Yuudutsu) 

The oldest daughter among the Ashizawa sisters. A tender older sister who takes care of the kitchen in the house after the mother's death.
    She is quiet and is assumed to have a sociable kind character.
    She has a playful way to find the middle path, but with Subaru she would shrewdly use bean jam first.(?)
    She works as a teacher at the sunflower kindergarten in Mizuho City. She is popular/loved by them.
    Before, she was waiting for her father's return, and getting married to a co-worker, a young man named Hayato Yuge, but then her father died.
    In a fitness test conducted by the Japanese government she was found to have extremely excellent skills in negotiation and coordination.
    That is the ability to adjust the relationship between many people without causing friction.
    She is commissioned as colonel to the "international space volunteer" army.
    In addition, her name "Yuuzutsu/Yuudutsu" writen in Kanji is an archaic word for "Venus" or "Evening Star".

※16 Sachiko Kōno

The character designer who belongs to studio G-1NEO. She is an animator and was charge of many the character designs in many works.
    She has many fans sent attractive divers characters out there in life, including beautiful girls with exquisite proportion.
    She is particularly famous for having an original character design for the popular TV game show "Super Robot Wars" series.
    She is also in charge of character design in this work.
    She gives the three Ashizawa sister characters a special charm that lets you feel seduced (by a sheat of clothing).

※17 The design which exposes skin

Sharing knowledge Interview_subimg2_sEpisode 6 cover

It is drawn on the cover of episode 6.
    In the work it's "easy to wave a baton to command, and if an emergency occurs, it's easy to crawl immediately into a space suit".
    The suit was made for Subaru with an appearance that was not particularly shameful in public.
    At first there was Kouno's design concept called "the clothes with the appearance like the leotards which exposed a little more skin",
    and in the actual writing, Morioka was made to cooperate to devise a SF-like setting.
    It is a fact that if you think about the exposure damages such as a vacuum or radiation from cosmic rays you would want to have the littlest exposure of the skin,
    but having a rusty space suit figure would be dull for a character design.

※18 Mechanical design

Mr. Susumu Imaishi is in charge of the mechanical design for this work.
    He is a designer, comic artist, and illustrator, now to be engaged in the popular plastic model series from Bandai, the SD Gundam "BB Senshi" series.
    He created the space workship Konohana (episode 2), the international space volunteer warships led by Subaru (episode 6),
    the impressive mechanics of the mobile Mizuho City (Episode Cool.
    As well as giving the picture of the escape from the solar system such meticulous details for a SF-like charm.

=^_^=
    Sharing knowledge Img_dia_s1
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 6/30/2012, 3:52 pm

other Morioka novels:

風とタンポポ~惑星環物語~ "Kaze to Tanpopo ~wakusei kan monogatari~" (Dandellion Wind ~ Ring World Legends ~)
    Got it, maybe it gets translated some day. *shrugs* geek

夢の樹が接げたなら

地獄で見る夢

騒がしい死者の街―優しい煉獄 2

月と炎の戦記

Last edited by Almael on 6/30/2012, 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 6/30/2012, 4:00 pm

There's a new Seikai web-manga drawn by Mr. Yonemura (known as a mechanical designer of the game)
    http://news.nicovideo.jp/watch/nw275080

Web-comic
    http://ebook.itmedia.co.jp/ebook/articles/1206/01/news033.html
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Number of posts : 542
    Imperial Credits : 12460

Post by AlexT 6/30/2012, 4:20 pm

Almael wrote:There's a new Seikai web-manga drawn by Mr. Yonemura (known as a mechanical designer of the game)
    http://news.nicovideo.jp/watch/nw275080

Web-comic
    http://ebook.itmedia.co.jp/ebook/articles/1206/01/news033.html

That's cool. But how one actually get that manga - he post new pages, or is it availible elsewhere?
    Art style is a bit unusual, but quite cool
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 7/1/2012, 10:05 am

I guess the only way is to come by and check the sites regularly.

The character art feels is a bit like modern art with simple strokes... Perhabs that's due to us being used to the anime art.
    I think the tech style has been around since Captain Harlock, NGE, Ace combat, Iriya no Sora, Tytania etc.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 4195
    Imperial Credits : 17869
    Registration date : 2009-04-10

Post by mitsuki lover 7/2/2012, 2:00 pm

I liked what he said about Ekuryua being a contrast to Lafiel from the beginning.But then again the bridge crew of the Bosroil were meant to represent different elements of Abh society,weren't they?

scratch
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 7/2/2012, 6:23 pm

[quote="mitsuki lover"But then again the bridge crew of the Bosroil were meant to represent different elements of Abh society,weren't they?

scratch [/quote]
    Yes, although, not the exact representative percentage. *thank god*
    Laughing
    Desgael
    Desgael
    3rd class crewman
    3rd class crewman

Number of posts : 12
    Imperial Credits : 10554
    Registration date : 2010-01-06

Post by Desgael 7/3/2012, 10:39 am

Glad to see you guys around. Smile

And thank you for this interview, Almael! Really interesting.

I believe I never actually realized that Ekuryua is supposed to represent "an extremly normal ordinary Abh", I thought of her more like a contrast to Lafiel. Although now, that I think of it, there is some similarity in Ekuryua and, for example, Sobash characters.

AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Number of posts : 542
    Imperial Credits : 12460

Post by AlexT 7/3/2012, 10:49 am

I guess it's because the likes of Ekuryua Abhs are pictured as evil robots by normal humans Surprised
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 4195
    Imperial Credits : 17869
    Registration date : 2009-04-10

Post by mitsuki lover 7/4/2012, 7:51 pm

I think Ekuryua was meant to be the normal Abh of Jinto and Lafiel's generation.
    Sobash and Samson are older by a decade(I think).In a lot of ways Ekuryua is the most naive of the main characters.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 4/26/2024, 8:17 pm