Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.

Kin of the Stars

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Kin of the Stars

A community for the fans of Crest of the Stars, Abh culture, anime, technology, science fiction, video games, and friendly conduct.

+7
mitsuki lover
firedragon
Schwenkdawg
AlexT
Kazuki
Jinto
JGZinv
11 posters

What do you play?

AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Number of posts : 542
    Imperial Credits : 12400
    Registration date : 2009-03-18

What do you play? - Page 5 Empty Re: What do you play?

Post by AlexT 2/2/2010, 7:33 am

What did you expect? It's console - platform and controller limitations. They're all making them the same these days with just slight visual variety.
    Among latest games i checked the "console factor" only gets stronger making games more identical and simplified.
    Even in Mass Effect 2 there's no 1,2,3,4,5... keys for weapon shortcuts - you have to cycle em, RGP system is simplified etc etc.
    I guess next consoles will either have normal controllers with more buttons, something for mouse etc or have just 3 buttons - depending on how much IQ players will save till they're designed Very Happy
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 2849
    Imperial Credits : 18924

Post by Almael 2/2/2010, 8:34 am

I agree these days they want to have commonality between PC and console control to make games cheaper for both. Of course the PC version becomes crappy.

I think console control won't change so quickly, but hearing there is going to be a PS4 soon peaked my interest.
    JGZinv
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 681
    Imperial Credits : 12582
    Registration date : 2009-03-17

Post by JGZinv 2/2/2010, 4:01 pm

Console games have their place and pc games have their place.
    Just because you have less buttons does not mean your game has to be a pile of junk (as well as the inverse).

Speaking first hand, FS2O's key system had far too many keys to emulate what tachyon did with the same keyboard. We ended up stripping a lot out, and added about 4 that previously didn't exist.

I'll be interested in Playstation when a new Z.O.E game comes out with multiplayer.
    Till then it's a failed product in my eyes. Maybe not of legendary status like the Virtual Boy (which when I had one wasn't all that bad other than being bulky and headache inducing) but still enough of a failure in enough areas that it hold no value for me to desire it.

tanis1lionheart
    Front Flyer
    Front Flyer

Number of posts : 198
    Imperial Credits : 11552
    Registration date : 2009-05-06

Post by tanis1lionheart 2/3/2010, 4:16 am

Been playing lots of NMH2 & TvC for the Wii.

Really great games.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 2/3/2010, 8:15 am

The maiin difference between keyboard and game controler is that keyboard buttons works mostly sequential. This mean in order to use another button you have to let go of one for a moment. A game controler accepts pretty much any number of buttons being held down.
    So in a console PC game moving and doing action at the same time doesn't work.
    Not to mention the sometimes impossible finger acrobatics.
    It's probably more of a problem for PS since XBox is close to PC programming, hence, easier to make extensive changes.
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT 2/6/2010, 2:34 pm

Almael, maybe i didn't understand you correctly but it's quite the opposite. It's the main reason i hate gamepads - you hold it in your hands leaving only few thumbs for controlling (analog+direction) and you have limited amount of buttons. On keayboard its a whole different story.Just an example from Age of Conan i been playing for quite a while:There are your standard WASD keys for movement (forward, back, strafing left right), you also controll your direction with mouse (aka analog stick). Your main attack keys are 123QE which correspond to where attack goes (high, low, middle, head etc), then there's rest of number keys (4-to-0) responsible for triggering combos, powers etc. These are main controlls (aside from player set shortcuts).So in fight not only you constantly hold at least 2 of your direction buttons (strafe + forward or back for exmple) plus controlling direction with a mouse, you also press your combo triggers and then perform follow up attacks (1,2,3,Q,E) with your other fingers. In my case i also bind Z and C keys to stance change and change em with other fingers in the middle just when i'm about to finish combo for example... It's getting some used to, but people don't play MMO PVP for a year if they wanna 2 button arcade, right? And this is what make em stay and the reason there's not even such a simple game as World of warcraft for consoles.

Blizzard COO Paul Sams told MCV. “WoW is built as a PC gaming experience. Porting PC games to console often compromises games, and we’d never allow the WoW gameplay experience to suffer.”
    Too right. And i thought WOW have very simplified combat system...

Oh, and did anyone notice there's no Crouch or Jump in console games lately?

Last edited by AlexT on 2/7/2010, 6:17 am; edited 1 time in total
    JGZinv
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Post by JGZinv 2/6/2010, 6:42 pm

You're mistaken on that last part... how many title names would you like?
    FPS lately have them as basic functions.

AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT 2/6/2010, 9:45 pm

JGZinv wrote:You're mistaken on that last part... how many title names would you like?
    FPS lately have them as basic functions.
    Then how do you use it then while moving+aiming+shooting? Even if it's there - i don't see how can you use it effectively when you have only 2 fingers availible..
    Anyway, even if there are - as soon as they'll see people can consume stuff without some functions - they'll drop em...
    Now, question to everyone - why people rent games? Last time i checked they are'nt expensive at all, but some people rent even long RPGs (like Mass Effect and stuff) and then re-rent em for 2 more times to finish...Unless rent is like 3$ (which hardly generate any income for such business) i don't see a point - even from perspective of country with 200$ average income and torrents being standard of living - people still buy official games a lot just for ease of use and to support developer(patches, network play, no problems with cracks after patches etc).
    JGZinv
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Post by JGZinv 2/7/2010, 3:31 am

You have the same number of fingers as I. Keyboard or controller, we can at maximum still
    only push so much with getting tongues and toes involved. Keyboards over usb have a built in flaw
    unless you get a anti key ghosting board... that they can only handle 6 presses at once.

Crouch is often (on 360) a push in and hold of the thumb stick, A it typically a jump.
    If you got a issue with the setup you can remap it. Just cause a stick is depressed doesn't mean you can't
    aim or move while doing that.

AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT 2/7/2010, 6:13 am

Ah, I forgot about those buttons at all Smile Ok, i agree, maybe it's not all that bad for action/car/simulator games, but it still lack number keys (in other words shortcuts) and layout of controller itself suggest the gameplay...

If only consoles had sort of keyboard built in or at least 10 shortcut keys on a controller (number keys). Too bad new consoles are not coming anytime soon - they say microsoft plan to keep Xbox 360 till 2012, dunno how though - it's already quite obsolete hardware wise and many developers complain about it..
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 3/19/2010, 4:11 pm

I had been thinking of playing some Gundam SD online for awhile, but have been staying away because of problematic registration as well as the complicated mecha trees. I really wanted to play the Victory or Nobel gundam. Laughing But I would have to play many mechas to get them... Sad It's hard being a casual player. T_T

So, I was surfing around for some strategy games again, and happened upon Shogun: Total War and it's expansion ...Warlord. Somehow I missed it back then, probably because of some roman empire game. Laughing The reviews look good, although, the environment seems pretty empty. Well, if I find it cheap somewhere next time I go shopping I will try it out.

Btw. anyone seen the Shogun TV series? One of the best western-japanese coproductions. I guess I have seen all Chamberlain movies by now. Laughing
    JGZinv
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Post by JGZinv 3/19/2010, 4:38 pm

I've got the novel based Shogun DVD set... not sure if that counts.

Also I bought the orange box.... traded in my 360 copy of MW2.
    Beat crysis and started the MWLL mod... was rather disappointed with it.
    Still have warhead to go through and am about 60% through HL2 now.
    Beat portal a long time ago... so no surprises there.

tanis1lionheart
    Front Flyer
    Front Flyer

Post by tanis1lionheart 3/19/2010, 4:50 pm

C&C - Red Alert 3
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 3/29/2010, 12:46 pm

JGZinv wrote:I've got the novel based Shogun DVD set... not sure if that counts.
    Sure. My parents still have the VHS version ... now that'ssome idea for presents. "North and South" would also need be replaced Very Happy

C&C RA3
    Tanya! What do you play? - Page 5 Icon_bounce
    tanis1lionheart
    tanis1lionheart
    Front Flyer
    Front Flyer

Post by tanis1lionheart 3/29/2010, 2:03 pm

C&C4
    JGZinv
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Post by JGZinv 4/9/2010, 4:36 am

The Blur multiplayer demo is pretty good... pretty much mario kart meets burnout.
    Not in a bad way... and I'd like to copy some of their menus for my mod...

Hopefully the full game adds some more depth and a healthy does of tracks.

Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 4/15/2010, 2:09 pm

Almael on Fri Apr 09, 2010 4 pm wrote:I'm not into racing games, but there was a nice F1 racing game some years back then (forgot which) that allowed all kinds of customizations. Maybe the physics aren't accurate but all the techs were nice

I got my hands on some old Shogun, Medieval Total War games. They are fun although old and a bit of micromanagement. Reminds me of Stronghold I & II. Those were good, I had most fun creating fortresses and unleash massive battle for them.
    tanis1lionheart
    tanis1lionheart
    Front Flyer
    Front Flyer

Post by tanis1lionheart 4/16/2010, 1:56 am

Random DS games as of right now.

I just started Pokemon Platinum, but I'm debating on dropping it for Soul Silver or Heart Gold.

I found some good platformers that look stupid.
    One is about a girl that can transform from a blonde ditz to a punk fire ball thrower and the other looks generic but has you using both screens at the same time as the game takes place in different times.
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT 4/16/2010, 11:28 am

During past couple of months:
    My winner is- Metro 2033. It's great, the only time i had such deep experience was during playing Half-Life's or 1st STALKER. Very good and smart realistic shooter with great sci-fi plot and immersion, some philosophy, some apocalyptic world ...There is stealth element, enemies have sight and hearing, good at taking cover etc. You do can buy upgrades or weapons
    The story is about mankind surviving nuclear war only in a Subway,
    DX11 is great and game is well optimized and run well despite it's graphics and effects which are probably new standard for industry.

Aliens VS Predator 2010 - good and better than previous parts, short though
    Battlefield Bad Company 2 - great, very good and realistic sound (which is important for me)
    Command & Conquer 4 Tiberian Twilight - suck, they only made things worse...
    Warhammer 40K: Chaos Rising - it rocks, just like almost every W40K strategy/tactics...
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 4/16/2010, 2:01 pm

What's with these apocalyptic russian games? Not that i mind FPS. Would be nice if there are more than that or Earth xxxx series.
    Rats!! What other games had those critters again...hmm, oh yeah, Parasite Eve... many other japanese rgps...haven't seen any cats yet. I read it has open space missions, good.

I wish someone would make a game based on Tripod. No not the boring american War of the worlds one, but the more interesting british Tripod Trilogy.
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT 4/20/2010, 6:54 am

Almael wrote:What's with these apocalyptic russian games?
    It's simple - part coincidence, part the plan. The game is based on popular russian Sci-Fi book "Metro 2033". (I'm actually decided to check it in audiobook format btw, just started).Also it's not actually russian game, it's Ukrainian once again - some of the developers (main programmer and others) have left GSC games company which made Stalker and decided to make their own FPS title but of higher quality.
    They succeeded - Metro 2033 is very deep sci-fi/post-apocalyptic, half-life like experience while STALKER is sandbox type. Both are great games anyway.
    http://www.f1cd.ru/games/screenshots/metro_2033/694/metro_2033_8613.jpg
    http://4gamers.ru/albums/screens/action/metro2033/normal_metro2033_1265366131.jpg
    http://www.hardwired.hu/img/wg/2/954/METRO_2033_The_Last_Refuge_45.jpg
    http://4gamers.ru/albums/screens/action/metro2033/normal_metro2033_1266563521.jpg
    http://nvworld.ru/files/news/metro-2033-physx-new-facts/metro2033.jpg

Dunno about you, but for me - post apocalyptic is the genre i often enjoy the most, be it game, book or movie. Reason for popularity - the same reason fantasy is popular, an excuse for simple world/life/adventure, freedom etc.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 4/20/2010, 7:42 am

I like scifi and fantasy more than apocalyptic. Apocalyptic is just too unrealistic. Just think about it. Everything is destroyed (after years of war or nukes), repairs are virtually not possible. Virtually no energy sources (gas, oil, fuel) since they have been used, spilled or gone on fire. As to weapons, well the ones using it at the time don't die easily Laughing so it's unlikely you will find munitions lying around. If you are born afterwards it's even less likely. Also how to you know ho to use it. Even gun fan boys using it regularly don't even know how to shoot right beyond pistol range.
    Recent good 'russian' games seem only about that that's why. It's not as if I don't like playing them. Laughing

I hear M.A.G. seem to be good for battles and team play. You might want to check that.
    Also 'Splinter cell conviction' looks nice, too.
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT 4/20/2010, 8:07 am

Hold your horses, it's Moscow's subway we are talking about which is, in case you haven't heard, one of the largest vaults in the world and was built with such purpose, modified with nuclear war in mind during 70s...
    It got everything - huge air filters, water filters, generators (hell, i heard they got nuclear reactor there underground). Overal length of moscow's subway is 300km and it's just official part since everyone knows there's a lot of "unofficial" facilities, tunels etc. It's like vaults from fallout on steroids Smile

In book - people who live there know of no other survivors other that in subway. They survive by growing mushrooms, breeding pigs and chicken (there's explanation how they got em). Also Moscow itself "survived" better than any other city thanks to it's anti-missiles defense. It lies in ruins, but there's a lot of salvageable stuff on surface. Since it's already many years past since holocaust the radiation is strong but not as deadly so people go there wearing protective suits.
    As for people - why don't they know how to shoot or operate machinery if it's just 20-30 years past? Also no worries - in book some "stations" fight other stations, there are politics, wars, millitaries - just like in real world, but on a small scale.

Recent good 'russian' games seem only about that that's why. It's not as
    if I don't like playing them. What do you play? - Page 5 Icon_lol
    "Russian" games actually tend to be more realistic when it comes to firearms compared to other games of same genre. Weapons in both metro and stalker are much, much more realistic than in most shooters where it's all about point and shoot. In Stalker there's many factors involves and bullet trajectory is a curve which is noticeable after certain range, the accuracy depends on if you move or not, if you crouch or stand. There's recoil, different types of ammunition etc . So what you say is not true What do you play? - Page 5 Icon_evil Actually i'm happy people around here bring more "advanced" ideas to popular pure entertainment genres as result of most post-USSR population being more "in-depth" when it comes to all kinds of technical stuff, weapons etc. and thus more demanding.

I do wanna try M.A.G. but it's not out yet i think...and wasn't "Conviction" delayed? While i liked older Splinter Cell games somehow they felt too...limited in what you can actually do. That's why i like FPS with possibility of stealth action, unfortunately few hold this aspect in high regard but it's only matter of time...
    JGZinv
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Post by JGZinv 4/20/2010, 12:27 pm

Here in the USoA MAG and SC Conviction been on shelves for a while....

Jinto
    Bene Lodair
    Bene Lodair

Number of posts : 47
    Imperial Credits : 11184

Post by Jinto 4/22/2010, 3:10 am

Hey everyone Very Happy long time no see. How is everyone? I have gotten into a game called megaten where I am a lvl 61 MB (magic bullet) gunner under the name Trife Check it out and PM me sometime if you decide to play it and I might be able to get you started easier. Also let me know what you think. Here is a link to the game web site where you can download it.

http://megaten.aeriagames.com/

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 3/28/2024, 3:04 pm