Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.

Kin of the Stars

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Kin of the Stars

A community for the fans of Crest of the Stars, Abh culture, anime, technology, science fiction, video games, and friendly conduct.

4 posters

Lost Stories Character arts and details.

AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Number of posts : 542
    Imperial Credits : 12400
    Registration date : 2009-03-18

Lost Stories Character arts and details. - Page 3 Empty Re: Lost Stories Character arts and details.

Post by AlexT 12/24/2009, 7:28 pm

I been practicing pencil sketching, learning more advanced stuff - wanna start next year at "a new level" of sort, so spent extra time. Today i made this quick one before going to sleep.
    Lost Stories Character arts and details. - Page 3 Almaelnew.th

There are many lines that add a lot of contrast and make face look older but try to see through it. This is more like my vision of admiral Almael - i'll read your previous recomendations more carefuly and make couple more but any critique and suggestions are good - the more the better Smile You want him more younger (childish), confident or curious look etc.
    I'll sketch Spoor based on pic you posted soon too, i just didn't want to touch Seikai official characters before i get good enough but messing with Spoor won't hurt Very Happy
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 2849
    Imperial Credits : 18924

Lost Stories Character arts and details. - Page 3 Empty Re: Lost Stories Character arts and details.

Post by Almael 12/25/2009, 11:34 am

AlexT wrote:I been practicing pencil sketching, learning more
    advanced stuff - wanna start next year at "a new level" of sort, so
    spent extra time. Today i made this quick one before going to sleep.
    Lost Stories Character arts and details. - Page 3 Icon_cyclops Lost Stories Character arts and details. - Page 3 Icon_cheers
    Your version is perfect as it is. Age is about right, too, just don't
    make him look older. I hope I still look like that a decade or more
    later. Laughing

I see you also made one for your avartar. He looks even more japanese,
    and a perfect fighter look. Only the knife...is it at the front of
    back? If it's the front then a professional would wear it upside down.
    Wink

---------------
    OK, now to the people I found who have the facial similarities to
    the characters I have in mind. I was easier to pic them after I grabed
    100+ pics. Laughing
    For some I couldn't make up my mind, though. Don't ask for names since
    I don't know them, but they are celebrities so there should be more pics
    around. I may have nominated some of them more than once. *shrugs*

Lost Stories Character arts and details. - Page 3 Th_000005069Lost Stories Character arts and details. - Page 3 Th_000005069-7
    Admiral Apos from Lost Story - Demons

Lost Stories Character arts and details. - Page 3 Th_0000034007Lost Stories Character arts and details. - Page 3 Th_0000034007-2373825037_41793c6f8b
    Kilocommander Soda from Lost Story - Demons

Lost Stories Character arts and details. - Page 3 Th_0000036006Lost Stories Character arts and details. - Page 3 Th_0000036006-2150280421_a64427f8d4
    "Osman" from Lost Story - Darkness; He is UMK, but also undetermined mixed blood, so this should be alright.

Lost Stories Character arts and details. - Page 3 Th_00000390042Lost Stories Character arts and details. - Page 3 Th_00000390042-41745225414629
    UMK intel officer from 'Darkness'. I think it's the same actor as before. Anyway, he should be a caucasian but I like this pic.

Lost Stories Character arts and details. - Page 3 Th_0000030009
    Lost Stories Character arts and details. - Page 3 Th_0000030009-2817412112_73902bb594Lost Stories Character arts and details. - Page 3 Th_0000030009-2c777f7dba2320_fullLost Stories Character arts and details. - Page 3 Th_0000030009-boaez1
    Karyua Sylia, from Lost Story - Infinity Sphere
    The first two pics are the closes. The third pic could be a sister....

Lost Stories Character arts and details. - Page 3 Th_000005413
    Lost Stories Character arts and details. - Page 3 Th_f_20090117Kangin-Taeyeon-taem_11eb2
    Karyua Shuto, the father. The facial expression looks so similar, but he looks a bit too young. I think his name is Kangin.

Lost Stories Character arts and details. - Page 3 Th_LS03-001Lost Stories Character arts and details. - Page 3 Th_Kyou-2093068680_8a26cfdcc0
    Planned for the genetic mother of the Abh girl (Karyua Sylia above) in
    Lost Story 03 part 2. Her name is not kyou, I just used that as
    reference.

Lost Stories Character arts and details. - Page 3 Th__New_Samiora005Lost Stories Character arts and details. - Page 3 Th_Samiora005-200604140517_00
    Samiora candidate.

Lost Stories Character arts and details. - Page 3 Th_LS03-SamioraLost Stories Character arts and details. - Page 3 Th_Samiora2-85d0ce52f1740969bdf0dfc76eLost Stories Character arts and details. - Page 3 Th_samiora2-831ed9da014292049600b3a74e
    Samiora candidate.

Lost Stories Character arts and details. - Page 3 Th_LS03-Lady-Spaurh_AsenLost Stories Character arts and details. - Page 3 Th_20711661
    A candidate for Spaurh Asen (Penege's mother) or the Lady in Lost Story 03 part 2.

Lost Stories Character arts and details. - Page 3 Th_LS03-LameiarLost Stories Character arts and details. - Page 3 Th_6179219562a4c0_full
    A bonus character for Ramaje's mother, ex-Empress Lameiar.

Whew! Several are still missing but this should do.

-----------------------------
    Edit:
    Found some more:

Lost Stories Character arts and details. - Page 3 Th_00000390032-80-80Lost Stories Character arts and details. - Page 3 Th_DuaneMarlboroMan
    UMK secret base commander from 'Darkness'

Lost Stories Character arts and details. - Page 3 Th_0000038003Lost Stories Character arts and details. - Page 3 Th_middle-agedwoman
    Madam President from 'Darkness'. Nearly perfect match

-----------------

I know you don't like to be spoiled regarding official characters but I found these nice pics of a woman who fits Lafiel

Lost Stories Character arts and details. - Page 3 Th_200911111213258954768a_4Lost Stories Character arts and details. - Page 3 Th_200911111213258954768a_5Lost Stories Character arts and details. - Page 3 2009111113432283495_1
    Lost Stories Character arts and details. - Page 3 Th_2009111113531591401_1Lost Stories Character arts and details. - Page 3 Th_2009111114012397548_1Lost Stories Character arts and details. - Page 3 Th_2009111114152308207_1
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT 1/1/2010, 7:22 pm

Ha, looks like i'll have enough work till next new year Lost Stories Character arts and details. - Page 3 Icon_lol

For now i made a quick color version of admiral Almael:
    Lost Stories Character arts and details. - Page 3 Almaelcolor2.th
    The face is changed slightly vs pencil version to look younger.

And here's slightly different version with a slight grin but it didn't go far
    https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/img81/1777/almaelcolor2.jpg
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 1/2/2010, 11:44 am

Laughing You know, you don't have to do them all.

The picture links are the same, but it looks good. I think the glass reflection overlap the eyes a bit too much, but I guess this is something that can't be helped. Otherwise the eyes would become a menacing stare or so.
    Hmm, maybe the shoulder are hanging a bit too much, though. The color contrast makes them definitely more noticeable now.
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT 1/2/2010, 7:17 pm

Yep, i messed with links, here it is:
    https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/img442/5673/almaelcolor.jpg
    It's not much different though just a bit since i started trying to work emotions only recently - it was all static 0 poses till now...

Yep, the uniform is wrong - i always mess such things when working w/o reference. But i have regular crew uniform in work and use it to practice drawing clothes - it gets better recently, but it's still not easy to do in full color...

Btw, i forgot to comment what you said about avatar pic (i made it real quick in low res, will work on it later) - that's a biggest knife he has, It's behind the shoulder (on the back) and not in front. The closest i seen is here:
    http://img.neoseeker.com/ca/resident_evil_5_conceptart_215dr.jpg

He also has 2 main knives lower on his back with handles facing down or horizontaly - those are fighting knives, but this bigger one serve as all-purpose knife. This position is actually the place where knife will least interfere with anything you do if you're agile type and don't carry a lot of stuff on you.
    There should be a laser rifle behind his other shoulder. I have a sketch of 3 main story heroes in process btw, need to finish it so you can see armor in details...
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 1/3/2010, 10:04 am

Can't see a difference. Well, maybe you should try to make the edges of the lips go up a bit. Also maybe the cheek more blown, just some lines making them look a bit rounder.

Hmm, that's a heavy-duty machete, good for chopping Laughing

There should be a laser rifle behind his other shoulder. I have a
    sketch of 3 main story heroes in process btw, need to finish it so you
    can see armor in details...
    =^_^=
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT 2/9/2010, 2:27 pm

It's been another long pause for me...I sketched a pic with abh combat armor some time ago which slowly began turning into a cover pic of sort Very Happy I'll send it via PM and if you'll like the suite i'll work it into more finished piece.Now, about that robocat - how about it being more robotic and less of a cat? I had this idea with a single eye - inspired by Geth from Mass Effect, they're very well designed - totaly robotic yet much personality...too bad can't find a good pic, but it's incredible how well it can emote with various plates of it's head and the eyehttp://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/masseffect/images/2/25/Legion.pngAlso note it's hands/legs are partially covered with some material that resemble skinhttp://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/104/1041365/mass-effect-2-20091103045852564.jpg
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 2/9/2010, 2:59 pm

As I said before skin or not depends on the buyer, but for the story I chose no skin because fur will be inconvenient to take care of. So it's fine which ever you choose to do.

Well, the old age single (active) eye we see regulary in anime may have estetique flair but for advanced robots it's better to have at least two eyes. But you could design a mask/helmet windshield to cover the eyes and have a pseudo single eye.
    Nasa robot

The skin on that ME2 robot looks like muscles.
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT 2/9/2010, 7:36 pm

It's surprising how hard it is to think of some cool robot that would remind a real cat - drawing similarities between organic and machines is hard, i guess that's why there's like 0 decent results when googling "robo cat" atc.I tried old idea with scales first... then i realized the head is just like from Half-Life 2 :1 I guess i'll try "clean" design next, but i just don't like "clean" things like that Nasa robot Very Happy I'd actualy prefer more "terminator" or "robocop" style look if it wasn't a "child's toy" (poor boy gonna freak out Very Happy )
    Lost Stories Character arts and details. - Page 3 Robocat2
    Lost Stories Character arts and details. - Page 3 It%27s%20surprising%20how%20hard%20it%20is%20to%20think%20of%20some%20cool%20robot%20that%20would%20remind%20a%20real%20cat%20-%20drawing%20similarities%20between%20organic%20and%20machines%20is%20hard,%20i%20guess%20that%27s%20why%20there%27s%20like%200%20decent%20results%20when%20googling
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 2/9/2010, 9:00 pm

I think your original cat head and my body style would do enough.
    This one's head looks like a rabbit
    There is no need for more fancyness. Robocop style is ok but needs some more organic look.

I returned your PM with proposal corrections. I changed the femal art a bit. Lost Stories Character arts and details. - Page 3 Icon_twisted
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT 2/10/2010, 8:09 am

There's still no complete design/pic Sad It's all the materials problem - the ones we can think of do not work very well and cat can't be just all "metal bones" or it would be dangerous as a nurse ... but can't stop till i figure it out cuz nothing pushes imagination better Very Happy

As for female art - can't believe you didn't recognize standard uniform, but maybe it's a hint - i guess i should just draw some cool abh girl in a skirt Wink
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 2/10/2010, 8:22 am

If I had a tablet I would draw an updated one, but I can't do with a mouse.
    As I imagine it the metalic skin feels like to woven metal but it's clean and the color hue is matt.
    The special line on the legs are special tension material. It's solid and could have any color paint. So all this should make it organic.

I just ignored the uniform and went ahead with a fancy suit. Lost Stories Character arts and details. - Page 3 Icon_razz
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT 2/10/2010, 8:56 am

Try pencil Smile You only realy need tablet for color, otherwise it's soft pencil and a good eraser and a paper that can endure a lot of erasing.
    Actualy it's good idea - even Abhs don't always wear uniforms so off-duty pic is quite possible Very Happy Just let me think of a nice pose..

Check this out:
    http://www.tombryant3d.com/Images/WIP_Robodog_02.jpg
    Cool, ain't it? I think it's the closest to how it should be...
    But i guess the optimal thing would be something like this known abio dogie -
    http://tech2.in.com/media/images/2009/Jul/img_158302_robo_dogs.jpg
    All mechanical parts covered and safe and looks ok...
    Found these too:
    http://www.designzzz.com/robots/terminator.jpg
    http://www.designzzz.com/robots/robo-rat.jpg
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 2/10/2010, 10:09 am

There's the scanner problem. Anyway, with these I have collected similar design and tech I needed. I couldn't find similar ear, hands....
    Lost Stories Character arts and details. - Page 3 Th_cat005b1

Lost Stories Character arts and details. - Page 3 Th_img56046069
    alternative eye covers; ear design roughly reversed

Lost Stories Character arts and details. - Page 3 Th_Tara_Lying
    flexible parts design

Lost Stories Character arts and details. - Page 3 Th_project-nomad_4avez_5965-thumb-550x
    muscle, tension material design; arrangement is different due to size and efficiency.

http://www.tombryant3d.com/Images/WIP_Robodog_02.jpg
    the leg paws are similar, but more natural than in this picture
    other than that this one is too fragile

I should search more for japanese designs.

Edit:
    ears?
    cute design1 #2
    cutie design

general robotics
    jap. robot magazine cover #2
    Nao
    ツクモロボット Tsukumo Robot
    Sony's

Annual robot contests:
    Some blog about Robot Fight
    Sample contestant
    Sample 2
    Blog contestant listing

Robot parts building
    site 1
    site 2
    site 3 misc

Flash robot generator

--------------------
    Edit:
    Cheeta and gecko bot
    japanese robo parts supplier
    folded fingers

dog design
    some fanart

Edit:
    Looks like Gringer #2 #3
    mini cat more pic links here search for CA3****
    USB drive tiger <3
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT 2/14/2010, 7:09 pm

Here, this time i tried to stick as close to your schematic drawing as possible as well as adding some of the less "exotic" ideas we discussed but kept "scales" since i think it's the only way if you need a flexible body that can move like a cat.

Just don't be scared - it looks a bit weird, but it's just something to work on.
    https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/img683/7928/robocat3.jpg

As you see legs are full mechanical. It's the part i realy don't have a clue about yet..Maybe i shoud use that legs pic you added to your drawing..
    Hydraulics would look better but i think we don't need that kind of power output here and i can't tell if it would be more energy efficient...probably not.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 2/14/2010, 8:57 pm

AlexT wrote:
    As you see legs are full mechanical. It's the part i realy don't have a clue about yet..Maybe i shoud use that legs pic you added to your drawing..
    Hydraulics would look better but i think we don't need that kind of power output here and i can't tell if it would be more energy efficient...probably not.
    Much better. I know you drew it to look 3D, but i think the front area looks too big making it look like a dog. I think if you draw the mouth area wider it would look more cat-like, too.
    I don't think it needs that many scales. I will draw the scale mechanic tomorrow.

No hydraulics. Magnetic solenoid & spring will do. (spring on the small part)
    Btw. the round seemingly non functioal parts are actually access ports (pressure seal ring).

I drew out the details I had in mind:
    Lost Stories Character arts and details. - Page 3 Th__cat-details003Lost Stories Character arts and details. - Page 3 Th__cat-details001Lost Stories Character arts and details. - Page 3 Th__cat-details002
    The ears have simple mechanic and rely on smart curved design for pseudo transform effect. I had aerodynamic in mind for when he sprints and as a way to express like an agressive/defending cat.
    The feet ankle is simplified. This is due to a complicated locking mechanism. But this should show you how the mechanic should work rather than how it's designed.

Here, is roughly another example of how the paws underside could look like.
    Lost Stories Character arts and details. - Page 3 Th_Koryuou06
    I had some soft, durable, padding in mind. It should prevent sliding.

actual internal exsample eye
    Lost Stories Character arts and details. - Page 3 Th_4955439076712

covered hand mechanics

----------------------------
    Hellcat nice fanfic
    just some robot rat no good, but fancy

---------------------------------------------------
    EDIT:
    Some internal head design details:
    Lost Stories Character arts and details. - Page 3 Th__cat_head_detail01
    No need to know the rest. Laughing

Spinal & section details:
    Lost Stories Character arts and details. - Page 3 Th__cat_spine_detail01
    I exaggerated the spine element for better view. There should be about two per section. Only one connects with the section shell. Three tendons are used for control.
    Some tension material should also be there, but I left them out to keep it clean.
    I put a simplified mechanic at the bottom in case you prefer simplicity.

---------
    edit:
    cat style motorbike; look at the eyes
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 2/21/2010, 10:28 pm

Almael on Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:35 pm wrote:New Foot Design
    for disabled people. Well, a from mechanical standpoint it's missing
    one axis of freedom, hence, not really new. It seems protesis tech is
    finally catching up to robot tech, tough. Imho should have been from
    the start...

Here is the claw design
    detail. I had originally a spinal motor driven mechanic in mind, but I
    think that was also too big; same with normal claw mechanic. This one
    is more compact and shouldn't break the mechanic because it doesn't
    rely on true mechanics. Lost Stories Character arts and details. - Page 3 Icon_geek

My thoughts on the eye camera sensor. So called 5 channel multi spectral camera. Not really futuristic except the sensor design itself.
    Some
    further thoughts. Let's say it's a 2048x2048 pixel sensor, 5 visual
    band, and 12 bit for each pixel => 20 Mega data packs a 64 bit or
    160 MB per frame visual data throughput.
    And that for each camera.
    I had a max of 200 FPS in mind with energy saving for 25 FPS.
    So that would be max. 3200 MB/s or 3.2 GB/s.
    A lot but no problem with optical processing power running at 100 THz (old physics limits).
    (Quantum data transfer limit is something new)

Edit:
    This is not enough to compete with a flies reaction speed. For that 300 FPS are needed.
    Comparison: bomb guidance 512x512 pixel a 8 bit and 400 PPS
    Missiles are faster of course. Next gen is expected to be 1000x faster.
    I guess real tech will make the cat look old. Laughing

I just feel like cranking some more numbers now to see how good my estimates have been.

Naro's brain:
    It's an Abh computer crystal that is inserted into the head. The body has already the basic sensor and body control processing units. So it's like inserting the cortex part into the rest of the basic brain stem.
    The crystal has a transparent protective layer against scratches and hits. It should withstand anything less than a hammer. If you know how violent small kids can be you know this is necessary.
    I think the crystal is about 200 grams. Naro is as big as a Lynx after all! Wink
    So this is about 3.2*10^26 u.
    Let's say 10^7 nuclei are used for each logic element and on surrounding structure and circuitry => 3.2*10^19
    Let's say 1/4 are actual processing elements and 3/4 are working memory elements => 0.8*10^19 and 2.4*10^19
    Let's say it's a 64 bit system for instructions and data, and 512 bit for math.
    Basic clock runs at 100 THz. So max. data processing is at 25 Tera data packs of 64 bit.
    2*4 Giga data packs go for visuals; 100 Giga data packs for audio (estimated); 100 Giga data packs for others ~= 250 Giga * 4 reserve processing power
    So we got 24 Tera for AI verses 1 Tera for basics. Hmm, quite a good ratio.
    This would give 96 Tera instructions per second available for AI. Needless to say this is too slow. Lost Stories Character arts and details. - Page 3 Icon_geek

Parallelism is needed! We got 0.8*10^19 logic elements for processing.
    Let's say 10^9 are used for each basic processing unit. Special units are squeezed in the margins and ignored.
    So we got 0.8*10^10 parallel units. On top of that because this is an optical brain it can use different lights (beams) called channels. In short one brain with many brainwaves at the same time. 100 channels are possible, but this is a cheap civilian piece so 64 will do. Laughing
    96*10^12 * 0.8*10^10 * 64 = 4915.2*10^22 instructions per second
    That's roughly 20000 times faster than an estimated human brain. Lost Stories Character arts and details. - Page 3 Herz
    (and people say that's not possible)

If each memory element is holographic storing data from all channels is not a problem.
    This would give 2.4*10^19 * 64 bit or 192 EB of working memory. This is not enough to hold all the data processed each second, though. At least 707788.8 EB would be needed.(I guess)

Naro's databanks:
    Well, similar to star trek TNG chip-pads (or whatever they are called) but somewhat bigger.
    4 pieces in lower skull or back of mouth area; 8 pieces in breast area.
    Each piece should be about 100 grams = 1.6*10^19 * 64 bit (like above arrangement?)
    This gives at least a total of 1536 EB. Well, they should have higher storage efficiency than the crystal brain, so it could be a lot more.

Edit:
    Using normal laser 400 channels are possible for holographic memory. Electron laser offer more but is uncertain if useable within such devices. Holographic can also store from different angles. Obviously reverse direction won't do, so angles are restricted to 0-90 degree. In 3D you got two additional vertical & side plane. So max. factor is: channel * angels * 3.
    From a conservative point 256 channel and storing direction from front, one side, and top would offer an increase of 4*3=12 times. This would result in 18432 EB.
    Enough to store all texts from all books, but no pictures or media. IMHO for media at least 10^4 more are needed (blueray & same # of items).

Edit:
    Audio system:
    Six passive micro-sound-processor per ear with a 5x5 matrixes. They measure sound waves, blumes, pressure, pitch, and time. Only the calculated result for a sound is transmitted further (to save 25 times processing power). They form a so called ambisonics recording system.
    normal use:
    256 bit information from each processor at 100 kHz => 1.2 million data packs a 256 bit = 38.4 MB/s
    extremse use:
    256 bit information from each processor at 2 MHz => 24 million data packs a 256 bit = 768 MB/s (x25=19200 MB/s ! =6x visual data; my estimation above was close Laughing )

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 3/28/2024, 3:25 pm