Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.

Kin of the Stars

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Kin of the Stars

A community for the fans of Crest of the Stars, Abh culture, anime, technology, science fiction, video games, and friendly conduct.

5 posters

New Child Of Love

Child Of Love
    Child Of Love
    2nd class crewman
    2nd class crewman

Number of posts : 15
    Imperial Credits : 4306
    Registration date : 2018-07-30

New Child Of Love  Empty New Child Of Love

Post by Child Of Love 7/30/2018, 3:40 pm

Hello fellow children of love! I love you

I'm totally new to this world and show, heard about it quite a few years ago when I was done with Spice & Wolf (which is my favorite anime ever since) and needed a new great romance.

I'm not sure why I took so long, probably due to the somewhat-low (below 8, so not top) score on MAL and the fact that it seemed outdated visually, but I'm glad I started watching.

I finished watching the first 7 episodes this evening, and while the first 2 did not capture me at all I must say the back and forth between the characters, and specifically Laf & Jinto, was great. It hit the spot when it came to what I wanted from a show, so really grateful that someone back in the days mentioned it to me.

Will keep posting about my emotional attachment to this show since I'm sure things will shift here and there and there are not many people to talk to about this sort of thing anywhere in the universe.

Thank you for keeping the community up, as small as it may be. Very Happy
    Child Of Love
    Child Of Love
    2nd class crewman
    2nd class crewman

New Child Of Love  Empty Re: New Child Of Love

Post by Child Of Love 7/30/2018, 8:28 pm

Wow that first season's finale was pretty great.
    So glad I picked this up!
    Lease of Life
    4th class crewman
    4th class crewman

Number of posts : 6
    Imperial Credits : 4194
    Registration date : 2018-07-31

Post by Lease of Life 7/31/2018, 4:10 am

In Myanimelist, Your Lie in April has 8.88. Just a reminder.
    Child Of Love
    Child Of Love
    2nd class crewman
    2nd class crewman

Post by Child Of Love 7/31/2018, 4:33 am

MAL is way too skewed towards new shows, but old shows get 'balanced' around their general quality from my experience.

Though I must admit I found YLIA to be a solid 8, good emotional core and a happy-go-lucky blond really does it for me Smile
    Lease of Life
    4th class crewman
    4th class crewman

Post by Lease of Life 7/31/2018, 5:10 am

Oh, come on. It has great animation and music but it isn't even a particularly great "dying girl" story, and while I appreciated the fact that everything goes wrong at the end, I didn't find it a particularly moving tragedy either.

I found it beautiful but a 2/10 in the catharsis scale. Lol.

I liked the line about how a performing musician often tells the most beautiful lie of all. Gave it a 7/10 because everything is so damn pretty.
    Child Of Love
    Child Of Love
    2nd class crewman
    2nd class crewman

Post by Child Of Love 7/31/2018, 5:22 am

Good animation, great introduction scene to our blond (that park scene with the kids? it's a 10/10 in my book), decent enough music performances and heart-break ending.

I'm just a sucker for 'feels' when they catch me though, if I were to judge purely on quality of final product (story-wise) I'd likely rate it a 6-7 as well.

Either way, I'm at the finale of Banner (season 1), must admit I enjoyed Crest way better so far but that's cause I'm no big fan of space battles especially oldschool style.

Hope that the power duo goes back to full throttle next season, or at least gets into more emotionally intimate situations like in Crest Very Happy
    Lease of Life
    4th class crewman
    4th class crewman

Post by Lease of Life 7/31/2018, 6:00 am

Banner I has one of the best interactions between the two right in episode 1:

"They think that if an Abriel gets depressed over this, then it's not a good sign for the future."
    "Do you think that, too?"
    "No, not me. [...] You know when it is okay to feel depressed and when it's not. At least you were that way three years ago. And I believe you haven't changed."
    "I'm going to be fine. And you seem to have become full of yourself since I last saw you."
    "How about "dependable"? But now that you say I'm full of myself, I'll tell you that it seems you're simply not used to losing. Like a sharp dagger, that when striking against something stronger, buckles under the force and snaps in two. Don't be such a sore loser next time and everyone will feel differently about you."
    "Idiot."
    "Anyway, I guess I should be going now."
    "Surely you don't see yourself as my guardian, do you?"
    "Is that how it looks?"
    "Yes, it is somewhat unpleasant."
    "You misunderstand me. We're in the vacuum of space. This is the home of your people. I'm just a mere Lander, and up here in space, I believe what you say and follow you wherever you go."
    "As usual, you sound so insincere."
    "It's too bad that you don't think I'm sincere, Lafiel. I'm serious when I say these things. Anyway, see you later."
    *Lafiel moves as if to say something*
    "Yes?"
    "No, it's nothing."
    "Okay."
    *Jinto leaves. Lafiel closes her eyes and smiles.*

I loved Crest, but only after this scene ended did I realize that I was watching something truly special. This interaction goes a long way to show how deceptively tough and dependable they both are, and exactly how much they like and trust each other. If there is a scene that best illustrates Seikai as a whole, it has to be this one.

EDIT: HOW DID NO ONE PICK "CHILD OF LOVE" AS A NICKNAME BEFORE YOU?
    Child Of Love
    Child Of Love
    2nd class crewman
    2nd class crewman

Post by Child Of Love 7/31/2018, 6:12 am

That was a pretty cute scene to be sure, but this whole Banner season had maybe 3-4 moments like that compared to Crest which had at least one each episode (except the first 2). Either way these two are one of the best anime duos as far as dialogue goes (next to "Spice & Wolf" and the Monogatari's Koyomi & Hitagi).

And yes, 'Child of Love' is pretty much a 10/10 nickname, and I think that this specific scene is the one that got me hooked since I feel we're all children of love (in the sense that I consider love to be god, in my hippie-ish way). I'm glad I watched this show if only for this name!! ^^
    Child Of Love
    Child Of Love
    2nd class crewman
    2nd class crewman

Post by Child Of Love 7/31/2018, 6:14 am

There are many great interactions on the show, but so far I got 2 amazing quotes (at least, might have missed others) that work as a 'stand alone' rather than a back and forth:

"They're saying they'll open fire unless we halt, I hoped they would say something more humorous. I wouldn't wanna be killed by people who lack a sense of humor."

"Soon we'll be attacked by an enemy 10 times our size, that's a rare event in our lifetime, but then again if it wasn't rare there wouldn't be much of a lifetime to enjoy."
    Child Of Love
    Child Of Love
    2nd class crewman
    2nd class crewman

Post by Child Of Love 7/31/2018, 7:08 am

OK I need some real help here please, been through the whole OST of Banner and I can't find the piece that kept hitting me right in the feels, it shows up at episode 9 of Banner season 1, around 19:30 if you watch it in the dubbed version on YouTube (wish I could link, just type in: Banner of the Stars Episode 9 10 English Dubbed).

<3
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 4168
    Imperial Credits : 17782
    Registration date : 2009-04-10

Post by mitsuki lover 8/1/2018, 1:13 pm

Welcome Child of Love, glad to see a new member as well as a new comer to the Crest/Banner of the
    Stars saga.
    Very Happy

Been awhile since I've watched Banner I myself, although I do have the manga for both it and
    Crest so really can't help with the song that you're looking for.
    You might want to check out the wiki.

AFAIG with MAL: as I noted elsewhere their filmography needs updating for Ayako Kawasumi, the Japanese voice of Lafiel since it doesn't include her work on Matoi,The Sacred Slayer.

What do you think about Spoor?
    Really a fun character IMO.

And finally loved Wolf And Spice are you into the newer novels that feature Holo and Craft's
    daughter?
    Child Of Love
    Child Of Love
    2nd class crewman
    2nd class crewman

Post by Child Of Love 8/1/2018, 1:50 pm

Hey hey Mitsuki!

I haven't finished the S&W LN's, only got to the 11th one, though I do have them all. ^_^

I did find the song, so that's no problem, it was track #9 Seikai no Monshô - Jurisatsukan Gothelauth Bakusan -- but the part I fell in-love with was right at the very end of it so that's why it took me so long to realize which track it was - it's at 4:38 of the track.
    Child Of Love
    Child Of Love
    2nd class crewman
    2nd class crewman

Post by Child Of Love 8/1/2018, 1:58 pm

I literally just finished Banner III, which was a rather weird but fitting stopping point.

I found the ending 'future info-dump' kinda odd considering they showed a few unimportant characters that were shown maybe 3 times total, but the cat-bits were kawaii to be sure Very Happy

I got really confused on the last episode, they seemed to have gone for a shortcut attitude with it having an abrupt cut during the 'exercise' of the new fleet. They went straight to the ending of the Hayd rebellion from there. I thought maybe I watched an edited version or something, but it probably wasn't (44 minutes total).

I kinda understood that the 'exercise' they made was all a plot to make Hayd attack them so that they have a reason to destroy their weapons right? Maybe I got it all wrong.

Honestly this show would be way better if they ever made a remake, kinda hard for me to call it a master-piece with the old animation. Then again Banner 2 & 3 are pretty well animated and I watched them in widescreen so that helped A LOT.

Jinto & Lafiel really make for a great couple, I honestly wish they'd give us at least one 'I love you' rather than always muting the words when we get to 'emotional scenes' like that. I guess the ending of Banner II was good enough with the reference to Lafiel's parents and the 'my cute princess' bit.

Anyone read the books? Do they get into an actual relationship? Does she always call Jinto 'baka' like an anime waifu or?

As for you, Mitsuki, Spoor was probably my favorite single-character in the show, made me laugh quite often. But she did get out-classed by our main couple overall. I kinda wish we'd seen if she survived or not, last we saw her the ship seemed to be ruined, is she supposed to be dead?

Also, the crowns/jewels everyone have on their forheads seem to have some pattern by importance and duty, like silver for soldiers and gold for rulers, various colored gems and such, any explanation given in the manga or books? Same goes for the military outfits/crests but that was a bit clearer without an explanation.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 2849
    Imperial Credits : 18924
    Registration date : 2009-03-18

Post by Almael 8/2/2018, 5:31 pm

Whoa Welcome!

Well, Banner/Senki III after a while and nobody was sure there would ever be an anime continuation so they kind of force a closure for the fans without damaging the novel's continuation. It's ten years since already and there's still no sign of a new show going to be made for the series.

Well, it's only a single battle exercise with one single unit. There isn't much to battle unless you repeat it over and over. Such an encounter is usually over within minutes. And since it was "interrupted" it kind of ended early. Also note that there are two separate incidents: one was the attack on Jinto's & Lafiel's transport ship and the attack on the squadron ship.

This is one of the difference between other shows because this is close to how complex thing are in the real world. The "exercise" serves many purposes. It's to test, and provoke the enemy as well as ensure the Empire's dominance. The first was Jinto's & Lafiel's transport ship representing a diplomatic mission's, and the second the military's.

The relationship is still WIP. Lafiel called him that more often in the past than now; and also using different expressions than just baka. It shows her education. Nobody insults better than a british gentleman while sounding like making a compliment. Laughing

Spoor is alive and kicking as ever, although, her role seems a bit diminished.

Yes, the Alpha's design and coloring etc. are complex military & court rank designs.
    http://seikai.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Abh_technology#Alpha
    Don't remember the color code for the stones/computers. It was only explained once and incomplete imho.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 8/3/2018, 1:12 pm

I have to admit here that while I have seen all of Crest and Banner I and
    the last two volumes of Banner II as well as the Birth OVA, Banner III
    is the one that I haven't seen yet.

AFAIG with reboots/remakes, I don't really see that happening any time soon as it's not as
    popular as say Neon Genesis Evangelion so don't see how it would be possible for them to
    even want to do a remake or reboot.

Then again it might be a good idea not to do one as see the controversy over the EVA
    movies.(Part of which has to do with the length of time it has taken to get them out.)

Child Of Love
    Child Of Love
    2nd class crewman
    2nd class crewman

Post by Child Of Love 8/3/2018, 2:17 pm

What, why would someone dedicated to the franchise not finish it, Mitsuki?
    Color me shocked!

As for a remake, while it might not be too profitable there's no reason for them to not assume they can gain at LEAST a decent following on a remake. I imagine that if the new 'Legend of the Galactic Heroes' gets a decent amount of cash we might end up seeing more sci-fi reboots and I'd wager that with the 3 VERY NICE ladies we have on board in this show there's good reason to believe merch will sell very quickly.

With better pacing (mostly in Banner I), good animation (especially for action) and good character design (can always make it slightly more sexy, uniform wise) - there's potential here.

Then again I'm a dreamer, I wanna get really rich mostly so that I can pay a great studio to continue Spice & Wolf till the very end regardless of financial return (the real issue with S&W is the economics, but Crest/Banner have no problem with that, it's not too heavy for sci-fi).
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 8/6/2018, 4:52 pm

It's more about where's a good place to watch it for free.

Well they do have the new version of LoGH out and you can even take a quiz at Sentai's website to see which side you would be on if you wanted to (I got the Galactic Empire).

Counting the new novels how many would that be?
    Child Of Love
    Child Of Love
    2nd class crewman
    2nd class crewman

Post by Child Of Love 8/6/2018, 8:40 pm

19 novels in total, 4 have been adapted, each novel is half a season, so we just need 8 more seasons (more like 7 and an OVA or two since there are side stories).

As for watching, there's "Nyaa .si" - can find almost anything there, unless we're talking legally.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 8/7/2018, 9:57 am

I think the problem is that Sunrise is focused on Gundam and simply doesn't spare for any other lower income franchises.

Spice & Wolf doesn't have the same difficulty to overcome. It's prolly more popular or better known than Seikai. Also from what I see it seems to have a new novel series going on so I expect to see a reboot or continuation pretty soon.

LogH reboot has already 2 seasons approved. My guess is whether it continues or not depends on the reception outside japan. It seems to do fine. And seeing how lesser shows got multi seasons I think it will get completed sooner or later.

Netflix has been releasing animes lately and they got the money. If there's any media power around that could get us reboots with some quality it's netflix. The recent shortcomings in new subscription, however, kind of ruins the outlook.
    Child Of Love
    Child Of Love
    2nd class crewman
    2nd class crewman

Post by Child Of Love 8/7/2018, 10:10 am

S&W and Seikai is not even close, I was kinda shocked to see how small the community for Seikai is. I considered S&W a niche of the anime niche until I saw Seikai. Then again there's like a decade between them so it makes sense, Seikai was made before the internet got huge.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 8/8/2018, 1:06 pm

I keep hoping every time I'm at the library that I'll see one of the novels but no such luck.
    And yeah, I'm talking about watching legal.

I think the best bet if anything beyond Banner II were to be licensed outside of Japan would
    be if it were a company like Discotek since they have a knack of licensing forgotten and niche
    as well as old titles.
    Either that or Sentai since they're the ones working on LoGH.

Gundam has become the elephant in the anime living room these days when it comes down to it. They've even got a new Gundam Wing manga.
    Lease of Life
    4th class crewman
    4th class crewman

Post by Lease of Life 8/9/2018, 3:14 am

You guys are all insane. Banner III was amazing.

And I don’t know about the books, but by the time the anime ends it is pretty clear Lafiel and Jinto are “together”.
    Child Of Love
    Child Of Love
    2nd class crewman
    2nd class crewman

Post by Child Of Love 8/9/2018, 5:52 am

Banner III was great indeed, and they do seem to be together Smile
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 8/9/2018, 8:31 am

As I said Seikai/Banner III gave us a semi closure. Very Happy
    They are together but life still throws a lot of stones their way.

The community was much larger until after Banner III. Due to life, other issues and http://www.abhnation.com/
    closing the community dispersed and never completely got back up. It's sad but there are advantages to a little community like not being targeted so much by who knows who. This was a recurring issue at Abhnation and only once or twice here.

Child Of Love
    Child Of Love
    2nd class crewman
    2nd class crewman

Post by Child Of Love 8/10/2018, 12:11 am

Targeted? Enemies or advertisers? Haha.

Sponsored content