Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.

Kin of the Stars

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Kin of the Stars

A community for the fans of Crest of the Stars, Abh culture, anime, technology, science fiction, video games, and friendly conduct.

+2
JGZinv
lymhfeubdach
6 posters

Is Mac Worth the Price?

lymhfeubdach
    lymhfeubdach
    Rear Flyer
    Rear Flyer

Number of posts : 116
    Imperial Credits : 11417
    Registration date : 2009-03-24

Is Mac Worth the Price? Empty Is Mac Worth the Price?

Post by lymhfeubdach 4/4/2009, 1:11 am

Past two days after staw on my back broke from my brother rebooting computer for 37 time since I bought it last year. I been thinking about switch over to a mac laptop, however; when look at the price and apple's software sometimes ask myself is it worth. I been hearing that mac are pretty good and don't cause so many problems as windows. Still just don't if worth or not, so that asking my fellow members for advice on this issues. Thank you.
    JGZinv
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 681
    Imperial Credits : 12584
    Registration date : 2009-03-17

Is Mac Worth the Price? Empty Re: Is Mac Worth the Price?

Post by JGZinv 4/4/2009, 2:24 am

What problems besides rebooting are you having?

What do you normally use your computer for?

What kind of price range would you be interested in?

Are there any "must haves" or programs you've got to have in order for you to work normally?

Mac is a different animal than a PC, you're talking usually different software and a whole new operating system. Linux is free... but again I'd examine why you're having the problems you are now.

A properly working and taken care of PC shouldn't give you regular problems.
    There's the off chance screw up, or error, but in general those should be few.

AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Number of posts : 542
    Imperial Credits : 12402
    Registration date : 2009-03-18

Post by AlexT 4/4/2009, 12:22 pm

That rebooting is related to some hardware or software issue (overheating maybe). It's more of exception. It's not like any windows is flawed, but it does have more errors simply because windows has too many programms and allow user too much freedom. I'd say that if something is working on windows and results in error - there's a good chance that Mac doesn't have same problem simply because this software is not running on it at all. Proven software, updates and good antivirus should do the trick.

I'd say mac isn't worth it because it's basicaly built on the same PC components these days and OS is only difference. You can just buy PC and install MacOSX there as well.
    But the less you are experienced with computers the better PC you want to buy so that it's better tested and configured to be rock-solid. Dell maybe?
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 2849
    Imperial Credits : 18926

Post by Almael 4/4/2009, 3:59 pm

Well, I wouldn't recommend Apple for you. You have to use different programs and thing work different. If you are used to windows and don't have time to learn new things then it's better to use something you know.

As to the booting problem, it's probably a system file problem. Usually, a file is missing or the system just can't find it for some reason. If windows runs but dies off then it's some program causing it.
    For WinXP, Vista:
    If you can start in the protected mode try to restore an old system image created by the system.
    Through Help and Support:
    1.Click Start, and then click Help and Support.
    2.Under Pick a Task, click Undo changes to your computer with System Restore.
    3.Follow the instructions on the wizard.
    Through the All Programs menu:
    1.Click Start.
    2.Point to All Programs.
    3.Point to Accessories.
    4.Point to System Tools.
    5.Click System Restore.
    6.Follow the instructions on the wizard.
    JGZinv
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Post by JGZinv 4/4/2009, 4:18 pm

Seems you're surrounded by computer nerds Lymh, you're in good hands ^_^

It'd still be worth while to see answers to my questions, but I'd also ask
    what OS (windows me? windows 98? xp, vista, 7, 95, NT, 2000, 3.11...etc) you are running?
    Some versions of Windows are worse than others. Windows ME for example... is evil and extremely buggy. Moving to XP was a wonderful improvement.

If you know what kind of hardware specs you have, we could also see if it is worth it to
    just get a new comp because of the performance boost, if your computer now is really really old. In general, if it is 3-5 years or older, you could likely see a noticable difference by getting a new machine. you don't necessarily have to lose any files either.

I'm not a fan of Dell or any of the big manufactures really, and there are many reasons.
    I've owned several Dells, HP's, Compaqs, Sager, Toshibas, and set up a few that are not my own computers. But I can help more on that front once we know more about your hardware and what your daily computer usage is like.

Also the problem could be related to the hard drive, a bad power supply, or if there's a burnt out component in the system. But we'd need more information to help you narrow it down some.

lymhfeubdach
    Rear Flyer
    Rear Flyer

Post by lymhfeubdach 4/4/2009, 11:22 pm

Thanks guys, you might be right about hold off on Mac and could be software issues. I do know for sure we need more ram for computer, since been running slow for past couple months.Plus when April 1 come around it been nothing, but trouble, it been that virus. I will try get more infor. from borther who kinkd tech in family. If do decide still get laptop it will be a HP Laptop, because all I do is surfing the web, download youtube vidoes (personal use), upload my photos, and somethings come shopping online. Now just one question, what about microsoft vista, I been hear cause great of problems for users or should hold until they bring windows 7?
    lymhfeubdach
    lymhfeubdach
    Rear Flyer
    Rear Flyer

Post by lymhfeubdach 4/22/2009, 5:27 pm

I'am not trying to change even ones minds about the mac, but happen to find this article that brokes down the seven common myths about mac. The article I felt give a clear online about half truths about macs and pc for ones, most other articles on the web and books just stick to half of the debate never allowing the people to decide what really best for their needs. http://www.laptopmag.com/mobile-life/mac-myths-debunked.aspx?page=1, I think you guys should check, it very good article to read.
    JGZinv
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Post by JGZinv 4/22/2009, 10:30 pm

Macs still boil down to an expensive rig geared more for artists and people doing video or
    audio editing on a regular basis. Fine if you need a general machine.

But you're looking at less driver support, and less software overall that is compatible, with
    a heck of a price premium on top.

A Windows XP machine does all that, still is very stable, and can be found fairly cheap.

Jinto
    Bene Lodair
    Bene Lodair

Number of posts : 47
    Imperial Credits : 11186

Post by Jinto 4/23/2009, 1:25 am

I have worked with MACs before and I prefer a PC over them. I mean sure I could operate them the best out of my class and I was even showing the teachers and other people things they did not know about it that I had learned about them. Also they did seem more geared for video editing along with smiler things.Also they did seem simple and easy to use. But I like PCs better.

As for the Vista OS from my experience I have had with it when I stay at my cousins house (All computers in his house had the vista OS on them) It is a good OS and I did not really have any trouble though I admit when he had the beta software for it that was annoying because well it was still being beta-ed. But after that it was good.

As for windows 7 if I am not mistaken he currently has the beta for that on his computer. But I don't have any experience working with it yet as it is still beta and I have not been to his house for a while now. So I don't really have any info on it. Though I will ask him when I talk to him in the morning. So I should be able to give you some info concerning how windows 7 works.
    lymhfeubdach
    lymhfeubdach
    Rear Flyer
    Rear Flyer

Post by lymhfeubdach 4/24/2009, 1:23 am

I hoping that windows 7 reviews are good and get people to see there no need spend torns on money on mac unless you have art background. The other day I went to laptop.com and found a Dell Studio 17 that had eventhing I need in laptop and when so thankful thank you guys especaily JGZinv and far cheaper then mac. Somethings ask myself when is my mind, why would I allow looks out weight the value.
    JGZinv
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Post by JGZinv 4/24/2009, 1:38 am

Well even with my Sager notebook, which is one of the most powerful notebooks available...
    It uses the same LCD screen panel as a Macbook Pro 17 inch.

I'm not loosing anything over a Mac..

mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 4168
    Imperial Credits : 17784
    Registration date : 2009-04-10

Post by mitsuki lover 4/24/2009, 11:20 am

You should only go with what you're comfortable using.
    Yes PCs do have their problems but MACs probably have theirs as well.So it's really a trade-off of what you are comfortable using as versus the unknown.
    Just don't be affraid .
    btw:Have you tried something like Fire Fox for
    your PC?When we had it it helped cut down on some of the problems we were having.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 3/29/2024, 2:28 am