Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.

Kin of the Stars

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Kin of the Stars

A community for the fans of Crest of the Stars, Abh culture, anime, technology, science fiction, video games, and friendly conduct.

2 posters

movie reviews

Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 2849
    Imperial Credits : 18924
    Registration date : 2009-03-18

movie reviews Empty movie reviews

Post by Almael 9/19/2012, 9:59 pm

Since we haven't one here for some reason I thought I would start some.

The Bourne Legacy (2012)
    For some reason it felt kind of short despite the 2 hours. I guess this says something about smoothness of the story execution.
    Story takes place around the same timeframe as the previous movie but mostly toward the end.
    Preparation for clean up of the treadstone project commences as Bourne is being chased.
    We see it this time from one of the other subject's perspective.
    Hmm, snapping together a semi sniper rifle in 20 seconds and shooting down a drone in a snowstorm beyond its sensor range...
    So the new soldier versions are kept at a leash with a deadly flu, hence, they have to live in isolation. Plisken Snake, anyone?
    They are given the blue and green pill to keep themselves alive.
    OK, so he uses passports prepared for him by the organization and they don't know what to look for...
    He is being given support by a doctor who for some reason insist she is just doing science not research or development, which is actually her job btw.
    Because she is just doing science, giving shots and taking samples, getting clearance for highest level labs, she is not involved with the project and knows nothing beyond her science... *total blank face*
    It seems a half working vaccine was miraculously obtained within a day...so our new hero only went through one feverish night.
    We got some new version 3 "super soldier" sent after him. Dunno if he died but he didn't appear again in the end.

Resident Evil Retribution
    Jill at the end of the last movie still looks different, although, in this one she looks more familiar...
    Alice has been caught, and is being chased by the Red Queen (queen of hearts Very Happy ).
    Dunno who's the rabbit but we got black warrior Alice (lv10), red warrior Wong (lv9), blue warrior Jill(lv11?), etc.
    Wonder who's yellow, green, and white...
    Anyway, Alice downs a helicopter with her quarters from her double flints pistols for the last time it seems...before getting caught.
    She wakes up to a family life with a husband and child in an idylic suburb....
    She's held in the Umbrella Prime facility under the sea near the Kamchatka peninsula.
    (The very same part of the world where MuvLuv Alternatice Total Eclipse takes place in the second half)
    The movie seems short due to a bunch of footage from previous as well as rescreening.
    The first fight is quite nice (human Alice actually fights better than before!), but it also feels like a game going through stages...
    What a sight when her eyes lit up at the sight of the latest (machine) pistols. "Oh yeah"
    But it's actually the combat knife that she picks up first. Laughing Obviously she played too much Call of Duty; nope not against rats...
    Liam leads a merc(?) strike team to rescue Alice & Ada Wong (strike=rescue?).
    Luther West appears again. old Alice: "Who?" current Alice: "He's alive?"
    Hmm, Alice now wears her guns like the Claymore anime on the back in two holdings.
    Hmm, undead soldiers and expensive cars are standard sights in moscow.
    We see a bunch of clones ... in fact Umbrella corp now is all out clones. But no more of those Alice warrior ones but housewives. Hmm...so much for my initial psychological peace-dream theory.
    Finally, the long awaited Jill vs Alice showdown. OMG girls do know how to take care of themselves. Laughing
    Jill using samurai/staff fighting against Alice assassin techninque.
    Alice arrives at the white house, mankind's last stand. Anyone, reminded of C&C RA2?
    Mankind's latest new weapon has been created: Alice. *falls down the stairs*

Well, it seems there's a three way war between the red queen, Wesker (the boss & ruler), and the undead mutants. Humans are just pawns or food.
    Overall, the movie is the shortest in the series, perhaps the 2nd last of all, but with some good fights.
    Perhaps some more details for the "new character" and action would have made a better impression, for example as a major character Wong, didn't get anything in-depth (no solo mission).

mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 4168
    Imperial Credits : 17782
    Registration date : 2009-04-10

movie reviews Empty Re: movie reviews

Post by mitsuki lover 10/26/2012, 3:16 pm

I'd like to know what your thoughts on Cloud Atlas would be,I read the review in the paper today and it was pretty meh!
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 10/26/2012, 6:41 pm

Well, it's not really on my radar and the preview, so-so.
    But I'm interested in the novel or rather the writing, althouht, it's not really the first of this type but perhaps the most "complete".
    There lies the good thing about it imho.
    As to the story(ies) from what I read, it's unrealistic.
    I think the ads are a bit exaggerated.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 10/29/2012, 1:55 pm

From what I understand it's basically about reincarnation and how people's connections with others seemingly stays throughout time.That and one of the Wachinowski(sp?)brothers is now a sister! Laughing
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 11/8/2012, 9:57 am

Laughing
    New Rommel movie
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-20180010
    That I want to see.
    I have seen some documentation on how Rommel being a daredevil going against the most sound advices of his officers. In short he relied more on luck than ability and I guess propaganda and later worship of a beaten people made him more than he truely was.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 11/9/2012, 4:41 pm

That should be interesting.I wondered if they interviewed any of the surviving officers and men
    who served under Rommel for the movie.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 12/7/2012, 4:30 pm

I'm sure some do come from diaries or notes from his officers since those were some of the important sources to his personalities (research). Just like the officer intel reports on DeGaul or Jackie's tape on King. *cough*

SKYFALL
    This is a good one. Perhaps too character centric than your usual bond flick.
    It starts out with Moneypenny sniping Bond. Unfortunately she misses his heart. Poor woman never hits it. The rest is how the now old support cast gets changed out and ends with M, referred as mother? (from a certain other spy show), dying. Is it a first for a M to die on duty?
    For some reason the last battle site & scene seems familiar but I can't put my finger on it.
    Anyway, the new M is very similar to the current Bond in character (brawler & antihero).
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 12/18/2012, 5:13 pm

And so we have a sly wink to The Avengers. Very Happy
    Wasn't M played by Judy Dench in the last couple of films?
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 12/21/2012, 8:37 am

Very Happy
    Yes, she passes away in this movie and gets replaced.

Btw. the Hashima island appears in this movie as the hideout of the bad boss. It's the abandoned coal mine island in japan. It appeared in a certain (crime/horror) live-action movie and many mangas since it was reopend some years ago for tourism.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 1/15/2013, 8:22 am

So, I finally found the opportunity and went to see Zero Dark Thirty (2012).
    In short, it's an average investigation at best with some action. If it were some random movie I wouldn't give it a second thought or viewing.

The movie lacks a bit of charm which I blame on the main actress' (BSG Starbuck=Jessica Chastain) shortcomings but she did a good job and great effort as fas as she could.
    At least for me it changed as soon as Jessica (Jennifer Ehle) appeared.

But more than this I blame the script, directing, and people responsible for the details.
    The movie is boring, dark and depressive. It's missing the details that set each and every investigation apart. It's not alive or has its own dynamic.
    It has an ok human (female) part but it seriously lacks in the hard reality (male) part.
    The movie obviously has been scraping real events together to fit its story and story requirements. Obviously the movie was based on very minor leads of information if any.

Before I thought McCain and Co.'s accusation were amussing, but now I think it's downright laughable or trying to mislead people.

As the investion part is fictional and up to the creator's imagination I'm not going to criticize other than it needs more realistic details/scripting.
    The mossad movie a while back was way better.
    It's missing everything else.

As to the final raid part, imho it can't be more wrong or off from the details published or real military ops.
    I have seem better documentations with more and better details than this.
    The most notable things that are wrong:
    -SpecOps wearing insignias etc. (shoot me!);
    -the helo that crashed went over thr roof first (safest place) and then crashed
    I'm pretty sure the helo went low and over the wall...the moment it went into the (stalled air of) confined space if suffered a (vortex ring state) loss of lift and crashed right then and there before the tail passed the wall.
    Either the pilot was not briefed/trained well or he lacked naval experience...
    -only two helos where it was at least 3 at site and 5 in total
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 3/27/2013, 2:21 pm

New Jackie Robinson biopic coming out called simply 42.Should be interesting to see how it compares with the classic The Jackie Robinson Story that featured Jackie Robinson playing himself.How much will they fictionalize events in 42 to make it more appealing to today's movie audiences,most of whom weren't even born when Robinson was alive.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 5/31/2013, 2:15 pm

I read at Reason Online where there is a new movie coming out called Copperhead.It's the story of a
    farmer in New York State who is against the Union's war on the Confederacy in the 1860s.Because of his
    beliefs he is ostracized by his community and worse things happen.It should be interesting since,I don't think there has been anything like it that depicts the Civil War from the point of view of
    Northeners who dissented from the Lincoln Administration's view on the war.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 6/30/2013, 8:39 pm

It's been a while but due to the zombie franchise getting new attention I have been forced to watch several zombie movies together with my associates.
    I have to say the various british classic crisis & newer ones are good.
    Visually not as good as Hollywood but everything else is better here and there (not so cliched and all).

I've got a long movie night behind me so this is a rough critique review of the movies.

----- SPOILER WARNING!! ---------

World War Z
    Trouble starts up ahead in town and our traffic-jammed hero family decides to follow a truck mowing the way into the heart of it. Duh.
    This goes not only against the basic instinc but also common sense, and definitely against the judgement of our famed UN warzone veteran & "super survival" hero Jerry.
    Despite the chaos our hero managed to observe and count the time for people's tranformation.
    Whoa a ten second invulnerability time in the game for our hero. He doesn't transform himself either after being bitten!
    Anyway, suddently out of town (!) they are in town again trying to hammster supplies only to loose it all again in chaos. Duh.
    How the heck did they escape town so easily and then why stuck in town again?
    Rescued to the Atlantic fleet, the hero is forced to serve in exchanged for his family to stay there. That's great!
    Some superdupper young doc speculates the epidemic has to be a virus like the flu from 1918. Duh.
    Viruses are not alive by themselves and need incubation time. There's no way a non-active virus can convert people in 10 seconds!
    So this smart guy had to be protected to find out the origin source of the epimedic. They set off on a Carribu from a carrier! Fantastic!
    But the doc slips and shoots himself dead after setting foot on the ground. The heavens made the better choice in the movie!
    Without mission briefing I dunno what's going on next in the game but we meet up with some veteran specops it seems.
    OK, so according to a lost memo, yes!, it all started from an unknown soldier brought back to base.
    It seems to be a safe bet he's north korean, though. Bingo!
    Oh well, our hero had his cellphone on sound when his wife calls out of nowhere during the mission! Was about time she checked if he's doing fine!
    Our hero rides his bycicle to safety, and on to the next place of interest, Jerusalem, while observing a n-device going off.
    This Carribu is a great plane!

The israelis managed to keep themselves safe, although, everyone else fell due to "human nature not stupidity or weakness."
    Oh yeah, nice, our hero surrounded by female soldiers. Hmm, flower power all around which lures the zombies to build up a pile to overcome the walls.
    The Z-avalanche buries some of the poor femal detail while they hold them off for our hero.
    Our hero observes someone being ignored by the Z!
    Dunno what kind of knife he grabbed but he easily cut off the bitten hand of one soldier safing her life.
    On to the next site, but the airliner's storage was boarded! Using a grenade to depresurrise and getting rid of the Z.
    Despite the crash landing the hero made it to the site in no time.

So our hero figured to use a deadly disease as a camouflage. I doubt there's any disease leaving people alive long enough to outlive the Z.
    Instead of going trough the roof our hero decides to use the "only" bottleneck route (disregarding the air-duc route, too) at night when the Z have an advantage.
    Oh well, all alone (the rest doesn't matter), armed with a crowbar "Snake Plisken" and unbriefed manages to retrieve all the diseases in the volt.
    Choosing a random vile he infects himself and safes the day. Jay! But the fight goes on as our hero returns to his family.

All in all it's a nice action packed movie covering the whole world. For some reason there are no Z-animals, though.
    Despite everything the hero, actually, doesn't have a lot of action himself but is well distributed to every party involved.
    It lacks a lot of "taking time, talk and think" scenes, there's no planning/briefing just do or die, guts and glory. Everyone seems to be cooperating with the UN hero until he was left behind by the pilot. That was a good one.
    Nothing new regarding Z-lore, everything's ages old.

Star Trek into darkness
    I have been keeping myself unspoiled until now. So here's my unspoiled critique.

Dumbed down for action. Star Trek tech lowered down for dramatic reasons when needed. A spacesuit has no problems but a shuttle has!
    Hidding a spaceship in deep water is an outrageous thing for Scotty/hollywood. Finally, caught up with 70 years of scifi literature and 40 years of scifi animes.
    Spock uses cold-fusion to cool a vulcan. (Did I heard that corectly or was I dreaming this?)
    The ship zips away without burning the atmosphere into a new adventure or rather a rebellion within.

Waking up besides women is the new standard opening scene (Kirk & 2 Catians). Also there are new nice dark imperial uniforms.
    Hmm, afters who knows how long Starfleet realized unruly Kirk was not ready for the center chair.
    Anyway, instead of leveling Starfleet HQ the bad guy guns down the unshielded & unsecured meeting room of highcommand killing numerous Captains & XOs.

We get to see a nice line of "Enterprise" display models. The last one looking strangely different than should be.
    Anyway, Section 31 is revealed. Duh, the movie can't go without gathering all fancyness.
    Well, at least we got our racy female agent (Dr. Markus).
    Working in an armed organization Scotty didn't realized he's a military officer and complains about mission ordnance orders.
    He complains about shielded photon torpedoes and firing them with an unknown payload could make the warpcore go off.
    Oh well, Scotty gets relieved and since there's no other engineer Chekov replaces him.

With an urgent unethical & lawless mission the Enterprise warps away just after leaving port and while in orbit.
    The warpcore sabotaged the ship falls out just above the bad guy's hideout (Kronos).
    Sulu gives a long detailed speech to the enemy that would have gotten him courtmartialed for giving away classified information.
    At least we got a nice lovers' quarrel between Spock and Uhura.
    Fearing the Uhura's wrath the crew let her negotiate with the Klingon (who happen to wear Cylon-like armor_.
    The Klingons weren't impressed as she comes across as a weak benevolent human. She should just have claimed blood revenge.
    So the bad guy had to save her while single handely getting rid of Klingon ships and troops. (best action in the movie)
    But facing the Enterprise's torpedoes he surrenders.
    Kirks calls home with his personal communicator....sending Scotty to some coordinates corresponding to Jupiter. Duh.
    It's an unguarded secret base. Scotty joins right in the middle of a group of blackops shuttles to enter the base unnoticed...

The torpedoes turned out to be converted cryo chambers with 300 years old people.
    Guess what, it's Khan & his people! And the strange starship model turns out to be a new battleship designed by Khan and build in secret.
    Bones experiments with Khan's blood on a dead Trible. It's all a secret plot to make war with the Klingons.
    The ship is hard to makeout but seems to be at least 3-4 times bigger than the Enterprise.
    It seems to be based on the Starfleet Battle Battleship design found in the StarTrek Command game crossed with StarTrek Online.
    Its phaser easily punch trough shields and ship like butter. It's a wonder the Enterprise was still in one piece and after being thrown out of warp.

Kirk citing "the enemy of my enemy is my friend", a Mayan phrase, but Spock associates it with who knows who. Razz
    Anyway, Khan says the ship is a Dreadnough class, 2x size, 3x speed, modified for minimum crew....
    Doesn't sound quite right nor sensible...a specifictly designed and built ship is a modification?
    The ship battle is just a onesided massacre, nothing worth watching.

And then the ship, without power, falls from moon orbit to Earth...people falling all around ...I wonder why the moon doesn't fall, too?
    Kirk goes into the radioactive warp core to safe the ship. Now, Kirk has his shining moment.
    Of course all of this happens without anyone knowing in this medialess world.
    The captainless ships in orbit are dead so the E has to save Earth from Khan or rather Spock.
    Khan's ship levels Alcatraz before diving into the bay, and although it seems to crash into Angel Island it crashes into San Francisco.
    Khan succums to Uhura's wrath so Bones could inject Kirk's dead body with Khan's superhuman blood to revive him.
    And so the journey begins....

It's an action packed movie but everything else is simply cellphone kid level who don't know how to calculate by hand.
    Or rather it's a movie where the story follows the action and fills in as necessary.
    It's perfectly made for the cellphone-imlanted & partying generation.
    So I wonder why the women don't get leotard uniforms, and men get 300's Spartan armor? Why are there no pole dancing babes and hunks in the bars?
    Why don't the Klingons have a hundred piercings instead of some, have punk hair styles, and wear tank-like armor?
    Why are there no more babes with cleavage among the useless crew? Where's the saboteur been after doing one job, and why's he not a cook?
    Most importantly why didn't Kirk do Dr Markus already?
    Gosh, shoot me for hoping the movie would be better than the first one. Despite all the actions and visual there's not much to enjoy.

Oblivion
    I watched it a while ago but was not worth the effort to write.
    To put it simply "Total Recall" with an extraterrestrial enemy and Tom Cruise.
    It's like any other Tom Cruise movie since Mission Impossible. Nothing too bad, good action, here and there some nice things to see or enjoy.
    It's lacking a bit or rather the lone hero parts seem to have no depth (no story telling) making it look boring.
    They are for the pondering art viewer than normal movie audience. The "rebels" are well armed but overpowered & inexperienced despite decades of war.
    Recommendable, but you won't miss anything if you don't watch it either.

------------------------
    It seems to me Hollywood movies are all about actions and visuals now. There's not much time reserved for story or background or character shaping.

mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 7/1/2013, 2:08 pm

Ok,that ST synopsis has me totally asea. So they have Khan AND the Tribbles AND Kligons
    AND Dr.Marcus?Rolling Eyes 
    Uhn...did the writers simply pick and choose elements from the original series and the movies to make it look cooler?And what about the Borg?While they were at it why not get the Borg into the mess;from your review they seem to have gotten just about everything but Q and the Borg.

Anyways the new version of The Lone Ranger is out now.Johnny Depp as a Comanche version of
    Tonto.The funny thing is according to Ancestry.com it's the actor playing The Lone Ranger who
    has the Native American ancestry.

btw:Jay Silverheels was Cree.(If I remember right).
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 7/2/2013, 2:54 pm

The movie is da shitz,
    if you never heard of or seen Star Trek, know nothing about space or physics or went to highschool.

I didn't want to spoil everything except the important details but you got it all.
    I just forgot to mention ambassador Spock got an appearance.
    Spock called him to ask about Khan, the most famous person in history after Hitler, every Terran kid knows about....
    There's only one dead Tribble and lots of Klingons.
    The Klingons had no choice but to gang up on the tribble, but this part was cut out due to the protest of the Klingons. Laughing

There's no way in hell you could have missed Dr. Markus, after all, she strips on screen and she's not even attempting to cover her body. You won't miss any of her curves. Best scene of the movie after Khan's fight! :PDunno if it's better in 3D.

The producer couldn't let Q in since he would have scrapped the universe. And the Borg wouldn't bother with art or fantasies. Laughing

The movie has about 3 worthwhile dialogues and one speech held by Kirk (total out of character).

There's nothing like a global threat as advertised: only blew up a factory, shots at Starfleet HQ and escape off planet. I could easily come up with a better plot and more real threat: causing a cascade in Earth's power grid, effectively bringing down the tech heavy humans to their knees and leaving them bare for any attacks. Then bring in the Romulans who actually have an interest in starting a Human-Klingon war. Letting Khan and the Romulans plot against each other would also be a feast to enjoy. While the Klingons and Starfleet fight it out our heroes would actually go after the real culprits. That would be a real good thriller plot...
    But all there is a collection of fancy action scene and hardly a story.

Edit: Read on this good review & FAQ
    http://io9.com/star-trek-into-darkness-the-spoiler-faq-508927844
    It's way more detailed and lists all the tomatoes...

Anyway, Johnny Depp movies review coming up soon.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 7/5/2013, 2:06 pm

And today I read that Jay Silverheels was actually Mohawk..

And back to Trek...I think it would be nice if Q didappear and re-set the entire nu-Trek movieverse,as is it's making the Lost In Space movie look good by comparison.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 7/17/2013, 1:40 pm

As far as The Lone Ranger goes,I understand it was a complete dud.Johnny Depp's cred outside of playing Captain Jack Sparrow is at an all time low.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 7/20/2013, 8:18 am

The Lone Ranger (2013)
    It's not a bad movie, average perhaps, better than most of today's action heavy movies. Not quite hitorically correct, but still better than some other recent wild west movies. Obviously it's not a serious movie either. I guess it's just not appreciated by today's Fast and furious audience or perhaps because the indians aren't the bad guys?

It's Disney story telling alright. Actually, it looks like Pirate of the Caribbean ported to the Wild West, different setting, but more or less same characters.
    The atmosphere is different, though, so the funny scenes don't come as funny or as successful.
    Johnny Depp's character Tonto is like a mix of a shaman and a martial artist (not so pronounced movements but still martial arts techniques). His talents are wasted.
    His to-be-partner John Reid (a fresh lawyer) is like a nerd from the Big Bang theory show, a combination of Sheldon and Lenard. He has a complicated relation with his sister in law. I guess he's the reason people don't like the movie, not to his fault, though.

Reid's on a train with prisoner Tonto and the badass guy Cavendish. Cavendish escapes and the two are left behind. He, his Ranger brother and their friends go searching, get ambushed and annihilated, thanks to a traitor. The bandits have sniper skillz! Half dead he witnesses his brother being killed (and eaten) ....
    Somehow Tonto has escaped from prison, tracks down Reid, and buries the dead.
    The noble savage tries out shoes for sizes and lighten the dead of other earthly weights in exchange for a feather. In any age shoes are an immeasurable worth. There's even a Rule #xxx of aquisssion. Laughing
    The white spirit horse comes by and convinces Tonto to save Reid, despite his disagreement on who to revive.
    They get together at night's campfire...Tonto feeds the gathering rabbits with a rabbit's roasted hind. Carnivorous (spirit) rabbits!
    They pair up, go search for the bad guy and traitor. While doing so they take care of an instigated Comanche conflict and rescue the sister in law.

Some funny scenes:
    They are trapped inside a burning stable when the spirit horse comes to the rescue on the roof
    Reid: "Can it fly?"
    Tonto: "Don't be stupid."
    And they jump from the roof on his back....I wish I had that kind of backbone. Laughing

Reid shoots and kills two guys at once (a la ricochet)
    Tonto: "Great shot!!"
    Reid: "That was a warning shot."
    Tonto: "Bad aim."

It's not a bad movie, rather it fails to be better. I guess some things do seem stupid, but not as bad as in many other movies, that happen to be more liked by the same audience. *shakes head* It's just BS imho.

mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 7/22/2013, 2:01 pm

Of course the massacre had to be in there somewhere since it is part of Lone Ranger mythos.
    Our library has the book by Clayton Moore the tv Lone Ranger from the Fifties called:
    I was that Masked Man.
    Actually there was a second actor who played the role when Moore walked off for a season or so.
    If I remember correctly in the tv series Reid was simply a ranger and never a lawyer.I think though it was easier for Disney to reboot the character than it was for Abrams to reboot Star Trek since most of the viewers hadn't grown up watching it on tv(I think when I was a kid they aired the re-runs just before the local news).
    The last time I saw it was a couple months back when Metv ran a marathon on Sunday.
    They also ran a second marathon but that particular Sunday are local Metv station in Spokane was
    airing Hoopfest the big 3 on 3 basketball festival they have every year.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 8/3/2013, 1:55 am

After Earth
    Mankind exhausted Earth and escaped to space. The harsh environment of Earth turned it to a human killing world.
    Humans settled on a new world Nova Prime (styles & designs from John Carter movie). The thing is they are not alone!
    The aliens send engineered beast to kill humans. These beast are blind and need to sniff out human fear to track and kill people.
    Raige developes Ghosting, a mental technique to control ones fear, and wins the war for mankind.
    His son aims to follow him but fails. So they end up going together on a trip to enhance their relationship and all.
    They crashland on Earth and the son is forced to go on a mission alone to save their lives.

It's basicly a relationship and growing-up movie. The movie is well done. Not too much or too lacking of unnecessary stuff.
    The scenery is great. The only problem is it's not appealing. It's somewhat monotone. It's all about Will Smith's son.
    Jaden Smith has improved compared to the past, but the movie doesn't give him a chance to show more acting talents.
    So I can't say he's great at all just good enough.

Pacific Rim
    It's the best movie this year so far. (I'm counting on another not shown yet)
    In this movie every character has their good & bad times, and their special scene.
    I particularly think the youngest of them being the best. An american movie giving such ... attention to this part ... very much appreciated.
    The script and directing just balances everything well. Even the idiotic scenes are not overshadowing and dragging the movie down.
    There's no clicheed romance, no skin baring scenes, no kisses, and no sex! An american movie with no sex!!! It's just the starting. Very Happy
    In a way it's very much to how (classic) anime shows are, squeezed into a movie. But without loosing parts and leaving one wondering. *thumbs up*
    Also it has taken up Tomino's kill-them-all plot.

As a Super Robot movie a lot can be hand waived regarding physics, even seemingly magic stuff could appear.
    The movie's depiction is well within 'movie physics' and is only excessive/stretching in two forgivable scenes.
    Although, the armor vs armor issue is not that convincing (the robots don't seem to have much armor as in animes).
    I guess it can be hand waived, too.

If you have seen the japanese Godzilla movies the movie may appear to be a collection of the best main monsters...
    There's also some irefutable visual pieces that came from NGE. That's about it of my critiques. I probably will watch it again.

As to the story.... Overall the story is closer to Yukikaze than most other dimensional alien invasion stories.
    There's some minor weaknesses and not much cliche. Doesn't look quite like an american movie. Laughing

An alien master race has open up a tunnel from their universe to ours.
    They send cloned monsters designated Kaiju to scout, to gather intel, and to "prepare" mankind for annihilation.
    Then the masters would come to mine the Earth as so many others before. The masters use a sun to power their tunnel...
    The tunnel's opening is on the bottom of the pacific rim.
    Overpowered mankind turned to super robots to fight the monsters.
    Particularly their excrements contaminate cities! Laughing
    After years the 'evolving' monsters soon overpower the robot forces and mankind pushed on the brink of annihilation.
    Mankind resorts to dropping some megaton nukes in order to collapse the tunnel (and bringing the fight to the enemy).
    The aliens outsmart them from the start so the bomb has to be transported to their side....
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 8/5/2013, 2:11 pm

Uhn...and why didn't they think of nuking the tunnel to begin with would be my question?

Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 8/6/2013, 1:38 pm

I figured Mitsuki would just sit on the button, but I suppose OB wanted to do it the "conventional" way (even though they used plasma weapons and n-powered robots).
    *shrugs*
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 8/7/2013, 2:13 pm

Laughing 
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 9/18/2013, 1:35 pm

Any plans to see and review Captain Phillips?
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 9/20/2013, 7:03 am

Well, I have doubts about it being any good (as in the Rwanda hotel movie), but I'm a curious person.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 3/28/2024, 11:34 am