Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.

Kin of the Stars

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Kin of the Stars

A community for the fans of Crest of the Stars, Abh culture, anime, technology, science fiction, video games, and friendly conduct.

+2
Almael
AlexT
6 posters

Abh life - society and culture

mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 4187
    Imperial Credits : 17845
    Registration date : 2009-04-10

Abh life - society and culture - Page 2 Empty Re: Abh life - society and culture

Post by mitsuki lover 11/4/2009, 3:22 pm

I think that Rock Linn was a realist when he surrendered to the Abh fleet.I mean there's obviously only so long Martine could have held off with what they had.
    As far as Till's actions,they do seem suspicously like someone who was hungry for power.Worse he was supposed to be Rock Linn's best friend as seen from the photo they show.
    As for why Linn may not have told the Martinese the situation,perhaps he didn't have time.The events of ep.1 of COTS happen so fast.
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Number of posts : 542
    Imperial Credits : 12444
    Registration date : 2009-03-18

Abh life - society and culture - Page 2 Empty Re: Abh life - society and culture

Post by AlexT 11/5/2009, 8:21 am

Almael wrote:You forgot to mention he had laid his hands on her! And does parties and pay the bills for his unit. Abh life - society and culture - Page 2 Icon_twisted

He even had to borrow the money from her (her father), but maybe Jinto is not that naive after all... It's a talent to get money out of GF Abh life - society and culture - Page 2 Icon_lol I guess they already spent all the money they robbed from poor baron Feubdach Wink
    Remember that the Martinese are 2000+ years behind the Empire and the other humans.
    For such an "primitive" civilization they have quite advanced political system, don't you think? Though it could remain from when planet was colonized as tradition brought from earth...
    Their society and technology are quite advanced, as well as production - they are at least at the same level we are at now. But i'd realy love to see how they live under UMK.Abhs should've let UMK have Martine for couple of years so that next time they take it back everyone loves Abhs Smile

Ok, next thing:
    The young Abhs - the time between childhood and becoming adult. What is their everyday life is like? Is it only study or they do have clubs, loud parties etc. I suspect study consume most of their time though..
    Lafiel mentioned she had (and still have) friends - and indication that most abhs do have a normal earth-like teen life before they join star forces. Maybe those noble and royal ones have their social interaction reduced a bit just like it was during feudal times here on earth.

And other thing i been thinking - what is Abh consumer market like? For example you wanna buy a robot or communicator or better tiara (aka cell phone, iPod, vacuum cleaner) - are there various models with different price or consumer goods meant for Abhs are all "top of the line" since it's hard to find poor abh anyway? In other words - "made by abhs for abhs" or they rely on planet/non-empire based manufacturers as well and buy stuff that suit their wallet?
    I suspect Empress won't hang around with cheap items a "poor" mechant would. There must be some way to show status and not just rank and thus goods vary in level/quality/functions.
    You know - the latest models of Apple iCreuno, Dolby tiaras (you sense movement around as you watch movie), Aibo cat (talks, help you survive in the forest and makes a coffee), not to mention Spoor robot dolls, but it sure can't be cheap Very Happy
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 2849
    Imperial Credits : 18968

Post by Almael 11/5/2009, 6:26 pm

Well, the Martinese are realistically at least 100-300 years ahead of us, but in scifi it's just a hundred I guess.

Spoiler:

The young Abhs - the time between childhood and becoming adult. What is their everyday life is like? Is it only study or they do have clubs, loud parties etc.
    Usually, young children are tossed inside a nursery dome with their headpieces on. So they learn to 'see' and move around in zero gravity.
    This has to be done early on as long as their sense organe is developing. This is similar to learn speaking, walking.
    When older I think they study up to 1/3 of the time. Then go play with others in special places domes to refine their spatial sense like the game Lafiel played.

what is Abh consumer market like?
    Well, poor Abh don't have a private mansion. They share a living structure (block;town;colony) with others.
    Standard food is provided by automated growing facilities (vegetable and meat).
    Specific food from somewhere (mostly canned food) etc. have to be bought in shops.

For a normal Abh in space:
    Top of the line stuff comes from the StarForces for military personnel only.
    The crest institute (one intel service) provides special wrist computers(Creuno) for the nobles.
    Other Imperial public institute provide civil wrist computers for the citizens. There are many kind of designs and forms to choose from.

Other articles and goods are obtained in shops at bases or cities. Prices depend on where you buy and from who you buy.
    You can negotiate prices. Just like in any market quality and prices can differ.
    These goods can be from anyone or anywhere.

There must be some way to show status and not just rank and thus goods vary in level/quality/functions.
    I dunno, we know:
    The color of the creuno thought crystal or the design of the Alpha headpieces show your social rank. As everywhere else clothing is also an indication.
    Having an Abh holographic system is certainly a very expensive thing. (top of the line in entertainment)

Visit Spoor's system and you will know more than you want!
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT 11/5/2009, 7:25 pm

Huh, and i though being Abh is all "money for nothing, chicks for free" Very Happy

So, it's not like communism out there - there are really poor abhs and rich ones. It is obvious that no Star Fleet Abh is realy poor since they all get very good salaries, but there's a lot to be learned about those not in star fleet then - the blank pages of Seikai...
    If there's actually "poor" abhs then it's a mystery why there's almost no unlawful activity among some... Maybe it's because there's not that many laws you can break in order to earn extra cuz it's usualy within boundaries of existing law.

Almael, is there a mention of any court? Sure Abhs can sue each other or someone gotta solve the conflicts.

How expensive it is to travel between star systems? I mean - there's gotta be some "space train" or something - the amount passenger transportations is large?

The little pieces start to make a big picture... Meanwhile - i'm leaving for Spoor system. If i won't return - send the fleet Wink
    JGZinv
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 681
    Imperial Credits : 12626
    Registration date : 2009-03-17

Post by JGZinv 11/6/2009, 4:43 am

One reason for low crime is simply 1. honor of the Abh. and 2. the star forces.

Why commit crime, shame your family if you have any, when you have a perfectly acceptable
    and "all expenses paid" type life in the star forces... for which the Abh are raised to want to be in space.

It'd be like telling a fish, hey you can go see the world, but you'll need to learn to walk.
    Fish says, you're nuts... I've got everything I want within reach here.

Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 11/6/2009, 7:48 am

So, it's not like communism out there
    It is but only for the basic needs and some. The markets are not communistic. You need 'money' to afford more than just basics.

If there's actually "poor" abhs then it's a mystery why there's almost no unlawful activity among some...
    Additionally to JGZinv's explaination:
    'Poor' is relative. It doesn't mean they don't have some kind of work or the need to (in order to live).
    Most living there are either retired or parents taking care of their children or government employers or service personnel.
    I don't exactly know the size for a commoner mansion so can't tell about the relative cost. It may just be a different of having a house and a flat.

there's not that many laws you can break in order to earn extra cuz it's
    is there a mention of any court?
    It seems the laws are simplified to a wider range of actions.
    If you do anything unlawful, the punishment is hard no matter what.

You can cite me on this:
    There may be courts without law but there is no law without a court.

We know there is a military justice department, but not much had been said about a civil court.
    For example: From Greda we know she joined the Empire in order to bring a fight over her parental authority from the local court to an Imperial court. Obviously, planetary law was unfavorable towards women. (Danshou book) (She was the control room manager at Febdash mansion.)

How expensive it is to travel between star systems? I mean - there's gotta be some "space train" or something - the amount passenger transportations is large?
    I think it's an acceptable price.
    In COTS1 we get to 'hear' many calls for ships and transport while Jinto was waiting for Lafiel. Lafiel also said if they failed other [civil] ships will make a report on the invasion.
    In SNS4 ships had to stay in line for [hours] passing one of the Lakfakalle sord. (They did lined up for the Kemal system but those were all military.)

Meanwhile - i'm leaving for Spoor system. If i won't return - send the fleet Wink
    Sorry, you are on your own. Nobody wants to fight a Spaurh. Abh life - society and culture - Page 2 Icon_lol
    spoor356
    spoor356
    Front Flyer
    Front Flyer

Number of posts : 215
    Imperial Credits : 12489
    Registration date : 2009-04-19

Post by spoor356 11/8/2009, 2:49 pm

If you're paying a visit to the Spoor family, be ready for some serious mindgames. I hope you're a very apt cerebral person. ^_^
    lymhfeubdach
    lymhfeubdach
    Rear Flyer
    Rear Flyer

Number of posts : 116
    Imperial Credits : 11459
    Registration date : 2009-03-24

Post by lymhfeubdach 11/9/2009, 3:51 am

I do know that Abh like to enjoy parities and celebrating birthdays. Spoor356@ can ask her when she going ever give poor crew a brake.
    spoor356
    spoor356
    Front Flyer
    Front Flyer

Post by spoor356 11/9/2009, 9:11 am

To Lymhfeubdach, I think if I'd asked that I would be laughed at. Though sometimes that's a compliment from the Spoor clan assuming that I asked that as a joke.

The idea is if you're ever caught in a mind-game with Spoor, just give up. Unless of course you're a cerebral person in the first place, or a fellow Spoor.
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT 11/11/2009, 5:47 pm

I thought party never ends onboard the Spoor ship... Very Happy

As for mind games - while my character is smart he also prefer to be kind of blunt and sarcastic with everyone - Spoor would probably like him even without mind games since they'd have something in common- she make fun of "robots" surrounding her and trying to teach those nearby how to have fun even when it's against logic - something Abhs are not very good at. Wink
    Of course this is all my interpretation... but i think the fact she was never big fun of Lafiel is a good proof as Lafiel is that "other" type of Abh.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 11/12/2009, 12:47 pm

"I'll take Mindgames for $1,000, Alex."
    Seriously Spoor is the last person in the Seikai Universe you want to play mindgames with.She may act lazy and unconcerned but her mind is fast and always working.Note how long she takes to come up with a strategy.Plus she is like Shikamaru,always 10 or 15 steps ahead of her opponent.
    spoor356
    spoor356
    Front Flyer
    Front Flyer

Post by spoor356 11/13/2009, 3:01 am

Well since I am tapped for ideas for writing (I do not know how I want to write the Lexhue, Abriel Clyuve, and Battle of the Gosroth articles yet) I am offering to perhaps revise or entirely write profiles for characters here. If you do not know what I mean, just view the Seikai thread I started and you'll see the basis of which I tried to start for myself and Almael.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 11/13/2009, 12:02 pm

Innovative! *gives cookie*

-----------------------------------
    [from another interview scene about the war]

"We all have heard many things about this great war, but we haven't heard much about the beginning battle. Admiral, could you please tell us more?"

[Admiral Almael, arms folded and his right hand to his chin, folded his hands into his lap and changed into a serene posture.]
    "Certainly." he said pausing a moment to think.
    "The Battle of the Goslauth happened in ICY 952. At the time we knew the Four Nation Alliance, also known as the Nova Sicilia(ノヴァシチリア) Treaty Organization, was formed 12 years before to oppose the Empire.
    We and them had been hostile since then, but this became serious with the integration of the Hyde territory. We knew they wanted war but we weren't aware they were already ready for a military enterprise.
    We thought they were just doing another round of cheap political propagada. That's when they sent a fleet towards the Sufagnoff territory."

"Excuse me Admiral. Can you tell us more about why we weren't aware of the seriousness of the situation?"

"Well, it's not easy to get information across borders. I heard we had some intelligence clashes at the borders, but you will have to ask Admiral Kashnansh for more details."

"We will try that Admiral. Thank you."

[The Admiral noded before continuing.]
    "At the time, the Goslauth was transporting the to be count Hyde to the capital for his military training. That's when the ship discovered the United Mankind fleet.
    For the Alliance this was an opportunity for an excuse for their ongoing surprise attack. So they sent a pack of assaultships to destroy the Goslauth and put the blame on the Empire.
    Seeing that the ship could not outrun the pursuiers Captain Lexshue decided to engage them. By doing that she could not only save the count and Imperial princess Lafiel but also win time for a fair warning. So the Goslauth..."

"Excuse me Admiral. I'm sorry to interrupt again, but would you tell us something about the captain and her crew?"

"I will be happy to. Captain Lexshue Plakia was a remarkable woman, a very capable officer. She had a motherly charm, a bright mind, and the wisdom seldom found among people her age.
    She was born shortly after the last war, a baby boomer generation. Like many she joined the Star Forces. She wasn't particular outstanding, but her leveled composure, readiness for initiatives,
    and sometimes ... liberate decisions had already given her a reputation."
    [The Admiral paused and smiled over something.]
    "This was also how she got to meet the current Cryph King. They fell madly in love and decided to leave the forces for a business together as traders.
    As you already know, Imperial princess Lafiel emerge from that relationship. While Abriel Dubleuscr retreated from business to take care of their child, Lexshue Plakia returned to the Star Forces.
    She had always taken good care and had often defended fiercely her crew. She and her crew had been together for a log time. Her crew was experienced and well trained. They would have followed her through any hell. And they did.
    Because of such reputations they had been given the new cruiser Goslauth. It was a new class of patrolship with tremendous power for its size.
    The enemy fleet sent ten assaultships against her thinking that was more than enough to deal with a single patrolship."
    [A wolfish smile appeared momentarely on the Admiral's face.]
    "Their judgment would have been wrong under normal circumstances, but they got lucky. The Goslauth had already spend 6 of her mines in mock battles before, and now only 4 were left.
    From the captured enemy ships from the Sufagnoff Battle we were able to reconstruct the Goslauth's battle in all details."
    [The Admiral paused trying to remember the details.]
    "To their credit the enemy ships were also well trained. They encycled the Goslauth in textbook manner before engaging. Three of them were destroyed by the 4 mines.
    The first ship destroyed, KEO3799, and its crew had been since delcared heroes of the Alliance. It was commanded by a Lieutenant Carlton (Karutsuenカルツェン) and his 23 men crew.
    Three other ships were instantly destroyed upon merging with the Goslauth. But the next enemy ship scored a hit destroying one of the Goslauth's altitude thrusters.
    She lost some maneuverability. After desroying another two the Goslauth had lost most of her thrusters, half her defense turrets, and 50 of her crew. She managed to destroy one more.
    However, the last enemy ship scored a fatal hit and destroyed the Goslauth."
    [The Admiral sighed.]
    "The Goslauth and her crew fought well, but this battle showed a weakness in the Lauth class design. It had weak armor. Since then we have addressed this flaw with the more heavily armored Kau class patrol cruisers.
    The Kau class is also a bit more powerful. In the mean while we also have created the Caubh class attackship, a smaller but better Lauth class if you so will."

[The interviewer harrumphed a bit.]
    "Thank you Admiral.
    Please stay tune after this commercial break."
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT 11/14/2009, 8:07 pm

Meanwhile somewhere in a deep deep space, on a too secret mission...
    A: "Hey Wad, there's our Admiral on a TV, come take a look! Uh...and grab some more popcorn, will ya?"
    W: [untranslatable Abh folklore] food machine is broke!
    [sound of someone punching the machinery].
    TV: "Apply to Star Forces today - best adventure and career opportunities in the galaxy..."
    A: (to himself) Yeah, they tricked me with this too, at least chicks on ads turned to be real (secretively examining Front Flyer's pose who's trying to fix the food machine).
    W: What are you looking at, you [untranslatable Abh folklore]!
    A: Damn spatial awareness....
    ______

Maybe they didn't add that much of armor to Goslauth for a reason - it had quite good manuverability and maybe because of it they could last till that last ship..
    But of course you can improve ships all the time - when you have planar space monopoly and tax interstellar trade heavily Abh life - society and culture - Page 2 Icon_mad

(calling studio's hot line): I'd like to ask the Admiral if constant fleet upgrades do not put too much strain on Empire's economy - the prices for planar ship's rent have been increased again recently - is there a connection? One more increase in transportation costs and systems will start to change their economies with only domestic market in mind! Why was Attack Vessel's production - Empire's first truly cost-effective ship canceled in favor of heavier (and more expensive) ships?
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 11/15/2009, 8:59 am

AlexT wrote:
    W: What are you looking at, you [untranslatable Abh folklore]!
    A: Damn spatial awareness....
    Some females seem to ignore it or maybe they even consider it as compliment. Abh life - society and culture - Page 2 Icon_lol
    But if you have a lecherous expression or try to feel them up... have a nice night in the imfirmery.

Maybe they didn't add that much of armor to Goslauth for a reason - it had quite good manuverability and maybe because of it they could last till that last ship..
    It appears the ship was designed similar to the other older contemporary ships. So it was something normal at the time.

I'd like to ask the Admiral if constant fleet upgrades do not put too much strain on Empire's economy -

the prices for planar ship's rent have been increased again recently - is there a connection?
    Since the Empire does military production exclusively, there is no impact or imfluence to any planet or citizen or subject, except the ones doing the job.
    The Empire only has to expand it's production or mining facilities.

The merchant marine is independent from the military machinery, so an increase mean they need more transport ships. In war time many more transports are need to help supply the military, as well as open new market with new planets. It's a great opportunity for old and new traders.

Why was Attack Vessel's production - Empire's first truly cost-effective ship canceled in favor of heavier (and more expensive) ships?
    -You mean the Roil class etc.? It was too weak and had not enough defense against the new multi warhead mines.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 11/18/2009, 2:24 pm

To put it in other words the Goslauth just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and the UMK took advatage of it.
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Post by AlexT 12/14/2009, 6:11 pm

Did i mention music? I recall one of the "insane brothers" listening to classical music and also there's some light dance playing inside the bar, but it could be just part of anime. It's been a while since i read the only book i have so if anyone can add something about "Abh music"...
    As i think about it - i realize it may not be too obvious if Abhs listen a lot to their "iPods" they have with them all the time because they probably got tiny wireless headphoness so they can still fight a battle while listening to what they like.

And it's obviously "elegant" music - instrumental, maybe very good vocals, like opera...
    JGZinv
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 681
    Imperial Credits : 12626
    Registration date : 2009-03-17

Post by JGZinv 12/14/2009, 6:13 pm

I'd imagine Spoor listening to heavy metal or rock music while in battle.

Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 12/19/2009, 9:32 pm

In Cots it's said anyone has access to million of music pieces, so there is no limit to choices or preference.

reply to post 283
    Spoiler:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 4/19/2024, 9:25 am