Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.
Kin of the Stars

A community for the fans of Crest of the Stars, Abh culture, anime, technology, science fiction, video games, and friendly conduct.

What (Manga) You Reading?

mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 2677
    Imperial Credits : 12122
    Registration date : 2009-04-10

Re: What (Manga) You Reading?

Post by mitsuki lover on 11/5/2018, 2:38 pm

Re-read the volume of Azumanga Daioh! I have. Tomo and reindeers! Laughing
    Japanese teacher colleges must be a snap to get into if Yukari was able to pass the entrance exams.Then again despite everything she must be smarter than she acts, after all she's the one teaching English.
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 2640
    Imperial Credits : 14571
    Registration date : 2009-03-18

Post by Almael on 11/17/2018, 9:05 pm

[LN] That Time I got Reincarnated as a Slime / Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken [on-going]
    Fisnished the first novel.
    Everything is the same as in the manga/anime except the narration perspective details differ from time to time. Also sometimes (rarely) it leaves things out or forgets to mention them. The manga is like a complementary other side of the coin. And the anime is basically a simplified but best of both worlds also thanks to being animated.

Story and -element wise nothing really new but it's a good mix and well written. A semi-harem but it skillfully avoids that and also skillfully weaves everything such that it's good for all ages. Despite all the seemingly big battles, violence and conflict hardly ever someone dies. It simply doesn't linger on or focuses on anything disturbing. Imho it's better than SOA on every level but less popular with people for some reason.

It's also kind of a nation building novel with lots of details and discussion but, frankly, very simple and shallow. Nothing new to a highschooler just more deeper in discussion perhaps. How a Realist Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom is superior but as I said still the same point of a modern spoiled person who actually has no idea about how real life was in the past. I would have no trouble to point out any number of faults if I bothered. But it's very appropriate for the target audience so it's perfect in this respect.

[Manga] Neon Genesis Evangelion Re-Take[Completed]
    !SPOILERS!!!
    !!NUDITY!!
    !!XXX!!!
    After the end of Evangelion Shinji gets a new chance at history. He ends up creating a family with Asuka.
    NGE gone relationship manga. Typical NGE psychological feast, occasional cruelty and relationship manga... More experimentation about Asuka's and Rei's psyche and some (alternate?) insight about the others. There's nothing else to say.
    It's not a required read.

mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 11/19/2018, 4:27 pm

Haven't heard of that one. Re-read vol.1 of The Shinji Ikari Detective Diary one of the more fun takes on Eva. I only have the one volume.
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 11/20/2018, 3:47 pm

Some more while looking, sampling and gathering some light novels for the holiday / vacations

[LN]The Magic in this Other World is Too Far Behind[On-going?]
    The title sounded interesting but I'm disappointed. Suimei and friends, Reiji and Mizuki, get summon to another world to fight the demon lord. Reiji get's blessed by the world's goddess, hence, becomes the summoned hero. Suimei hides his magician powers from earth and refuses to take part and earns all the scorn of the world. His secret objective is to decipher the summon magic and return home (and leaving the means for his friends). As it turns out the magic in this world is primitive.
    The author is evidently very versed in literatur, articulate and eloquent and good at mixing story and explanation.
    And there's a huge amount of description and explanation about magic/mystic systems. But frankly despite his obvious knowledge it seems he's confused. The system details seems to be different from novel 1 to 3. Honestly, I didn't care too much to read and think about it all. And more or less skimmed most parts. Most spell languages are latin, some greek but, frankly, despite using a lot of Kaballah there not a single hewbrew word.
    Story wise although there are some adult content the rest is very simple low grade and I kind of feel dump reading it.
    It's short about half as much as others. A new girl / magic system in every novel it seems. Ignoring all the unimportant things it's content is probably no more than 25% of an ordinary novel's length.
    I don't think it's worth reading beyond the 3rd book.
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 11/24/2018, 4:22 pm

[LN/Manga]The New Gate[On-going]
    2014 vintage and so far it has twelve novel volumes and have been (fan) translated. I've seen it back then but never got around to follow it. So this might be a good time to catch up.
    It's about another post-online-death-game aftermath story about the hero getting stuck after it's all over and everyone returned to the real world. After Shin cleared the death game and saves every one he wakes up to a game world come to life 500 years later. Soon it becomes clear it's the same game world but changed due to the event called the Dusk of the Majesty in which heroes, kings (players) suddenly disappeared and continental disasters appeared creating a "holyland" (of monsters). Old NPC and player support characters are referred as the old generation while newer the new generation. Most (strong) magic, skill, some monsters are lost or gone extinct. Only about 10% are left and skill-/magic-inherited/gifted characters are called Chosen One, and skill have become arts.
    Shin returns to his shop Tsuki no Hokora (Moon Shrine), now a legendary shop, and meet Tiera (Tiara)(japanese Heburn confusion where "a" can often be "er" due to japenese engrish). An elf whose been the clerk while Shin's former support character Schnee is away. Schnee, one of the most powerful character in this world, is legendary and famous like all his other support character who have become founders and 1st kings of countries. She's known for being neutral and not to bow to anyone (other than her master). Shin was the lowest member of guild of six known as ‘Rokuten’. All members were highest players in their specialized job and known as High Humans. It's implied a multi-reincarnation system promotes normal races to "High" races. Humans are the weakest race of all so most players don't player humans to such extend, hence, the guild proves otherwise by beating an army of a thousand strongest players. Legends in this new world said these high humans ruled the world at the time. Shin starts his investigation about this world and to find a way back to reality...
    Unlike most novels/manga/any media main character he's very consistent. In most media the hero is very intelligent but most of the time out right dumb. This makes them imbalanced and unrealistic. Shin is intelligent and seems slow on relations but it's clear he's not. A lot goes on, somewhat intertwined and because the side stories play out all the time it feels a bit slow paced. It is a changing harem type, too, but not so extreme. The changing nature of relevant character is a bit of a problem which is probably the cause for it not being that popular or still not having an anime yet.
    Overall, I kind of like it and it's enjoyable. It's does have a bit or more too game elements & info sheets, but doesn't fail or make any mistake as Sword Art Online.

edit:
    [LN/Manga]Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka / So I'm a Spider, So What[On-going]
    A novel for girls? 9 novel (5 translated) + 4 manga (4 translated) books so far.
    Some heroes fighting somewhere fire a time spell which for some reason annihilate our heroine's class room. All students reincarnate in this new (game) fantasy world. Our heroine is a (cute) newborn/newhatched spider trying to survive in this new world among monsters and humans.
    Yeah, the reincarnation thing has become popular again or rather more than ever. Anyhow, seem interesting with a somewhat different perspective. And a bunch of errors like how she was able to judge the size of a hole in feets before discovering human footprints as a base reference for measurements ... Also it looks like the novel intentionally makes us go on a hunt for the heroine's real name as there's a roster of the class and occasionally the heroine remembers scenes with her class mates and their names...  And adventure, well, it's a bit different for a while and entertaining in a kind of comedic way. Recommended!
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 11/28/2018, 7:29 am

[LN/Manga]Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka / So I'm a Spider, So What? vol.2[On-going]
    Once, I started reading it became quite fun. In a way it's about as fun as Dragon Ball but not as extensive.
    Anyhow, here it becomes apparent the the narration is currently divided into three time zones:
    1. the main narrative is set in the past, basically the beginning
    2. this is set about 12 years later
    3. this is set about 6 years after 2.
    The author works hard to conceal things and may reveal them very very late. I only noticed and figured it out because he worked too hard. Laughing
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 11/28/2018, 2:09 pm

I'm re-reading the Tokyo Mew Mew Omnibus missing vol.2 so go from vol.1 to vol. 3.
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 11/30/2018, 7:17 pm

[LN/Manga]Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka / So I'm a Spider, So What? vol.3-4[On-going]
    japanese volumes 4-11?
    Yep, while reading I obtained the skill of bookworm gluttony; maxed out before realizing it and obtained the title "nerd". While trying to figure out the identity of the spider I maxed out the detective skill and obtained the title of "Ruler of Logic" and "Ruler of Sloth". By the time I realized it I already evolved into a butterfly.  Embarassed
    So far a new narrative time zone has open which connects the main narrative to the present by starting at year 15. This is the final main narrative timeline.
    The narrative also has become more fixed on the spider's perspective but I expect it to change from volume 11 onward. I haven't checked it with the japanese original but it seems to me the official translated novels have a slightly different arrangement as well as are differently sized volumes. So volume numbers may not equally correspond. Because of the differences it's difficult to check.
    All in all the author's narrative is amazing, ingenious and crafty. No doubt he's a master cheater and information nerd.
    Although, he obviously lost track of some information a few times and made a few fatal mistakes thereof it can all be forgiven.
    The rest I blame the translations. That said, the novel's success is undoubtedly the quality of the translation which is exceptionally good, thanks to the female translator. I've no doubt the female input is part of what makes it good. Also the english version (vol.4) provides a chronology so even us stupid foreigners can cope with the narrative. The japanese versions don't have them except the map which is missing in the english version. In fact, it seems only the english version has the appendixes. So I recommend us dumb foreigners to stick with the english version for better comprehension.
    There are very little (grammar) errors, although, the spelling problem is not that much better.
    Anyhow, the skill to retell the same scene from different perspectives and at different times is astounding. Not to mention the plethora of side stories and extras 555+(6) parts so far. It makes all the alternative time travel stories look like brainless child plays. Admittedly, maybe a bit exaggerated but yeah he's amazing.
    He got me and I fell prolly into the misinformation he has seeded about the spider and all. (yandere talk) So let me say this you are gonna be a victim, too. Be prepared for the world to come down crashing and no less than once. This mischievous author. I'm not a M because I keep reading. I’m not, I tell you. I’m not, okay! Look, if you want to blame someone blame him. It's his fault the way I am.  Twisted Evil  If you got time to criticize go on finish this here first.
    Yeah, from the story and narrative there's no doubt he's as an evil, nasty, sadistic, mean and a cheater like the premier evil god of this universe. Laughing
    He used quasi all your common japanese RPG stereotypes, game systems, monsters and more. No it's not as bad as it sounds. It eases understanding if you are familiar. In a way the universe is based on Final Fantasy VII gone wild minus the flower girl.
    And every time I thought the story has reached some kind of closure it only just started a new one while still somehow remaining within the very same arc. And even though we still go occasionally one step back narrative and a few forward the Saiyajin level keeps rising each time. Laughing
    The story has a definite end. Currently, he offers two routes with not possible alternative. Yeah, right but I can see a third route and I bet that's his goal. If you got no idea what I'm talking about go back to the beginning and think of the nasty, cruel and evil god. No wonder no deity would think of opposing her. And to think she's the administrator of a certain star. Good grief, my condolence you people of Chikyū. And since we are at it this story's star is not the Earth even though it's called "Earth" by its inhabitant. Either an oversight by the author (most likely as all japanese RPG have a name for their unique world/planet) or another of his mean deceptive streak.
    Although, it shouldn't be possible for this series to continue afterwards I wouldn't put it beyond him to pull another cheat a la reincarnation again. I expect no less from such a resourceful cheater.
    It's also worth noting that despite so many volumes the author still has not lost his edge. Most, authors seem to loose after 2 volumes while the best usually after 10 volumes.
    So he's already competing with the best. Only time will tell how much better he is. The only bad thing is the heroine thought centric narrative.
    This makes it very difficult to adapt into an anime. But alas since the manga is already progressing (I dunno how it is) the animation is already underway! Expect it
    Needless to say I'm gonna collect the whole series.

wikia SPOILERS abound! http://kumo-desu-ga-nani-ka.wikia.com/wiki/Kumoko
    I've uploaded the my translated map https://kumo-desu-ga-nani-ka.wikia.com/wiki/Great_Elroe_Labyrinth
    japanese publisher https://kadokawabooks.jp/product/s12/
    author's web novel http://ncode.syosetu.com/n7975cr/
    https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2018/08/08-1/so-im-a-spider-so-what-tv-anime-pv-has-8-legs-and-an-attitude
    PV

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 12/18/2018, 11:22 pm