Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.
Kin of the Stars

A community for the fans of Crest of the Stars, Abh culture, anime, technology, science fiction, video games, and friendly conduct.

First New SnS Novel in 5 Years

JGZinv
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 681
    Imperial Credits : 9040
    Registration date : 2009-03-17

First New SnS Novel in 5 Years Empty First New SnS Novel in 5 Years

Post by JGZinv on 9/4/2018, 12:41 am

So this popped up on ANN to my surprise....

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-09-03/1st-banner-of-the-stars-novel-in-5-years-debuts/.136298

The sixth volume of Hiroyuki Morioka's Banner of the Stars (Seikai no Senki) novel series will ship in Japan on Wednesday. The novel, titled Seikai no Senki: Teikoku no Raimei (Imperial Thunder), will be the first installment in the novel series in five years.

Seikai no Senki V: Shukumei no Shirabe shipped in Japan in March 2013. It was the first volume published in eight years.

Tokyopop published the earlier three-volume Crest of the Stars novel series in English following its release of some of the manga adaptations (Toshihiro Ono's Crest of the Stars and Banner of the Stars and Wasoh Miyakoshi's Banner of the Stars II). Morioka's novels were also adapted into three anime television series, an original anime video project, and various spinoffs.

The sci-fi novel series Crest of the Stars follows the adventures of Jinto Lin, a young aristocrat whose father ceded their planetary system to the Abh Empire, and Lafiel, the Abh Empire's princess. Banner of the Stars picks up three years later; Lafiel becomes captain of her own assault ship and Jinto joins her crew.

Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 2686
    Imperial Credits : 14972
    Registration date : 2009-03-18

First New SnS Novel in 5 Years Empty Re: First New SnS Novel in 5 Years

Post by Almael on 9/5/2018, 11:05 am

cheers cheers bounce bounce
    Thanks for telling us. For some reason this one slipped under my radar.
    I thought he wanted to start a new series chapter with a new sub-name but he obviously changed his mind. I suppose he figured a new title would make it less likely to be found by existing fans.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 2827
    Imperial Credits : 12708
    Registration date : 2009-04-10

Post by mitsuki lover on 9/5/2018, 12:52 pm

Cool Cool cheers cheers bounce bounce
    (We really need a champagne uncorking emoji for this one.)
    Lease of Life
    4th class crewman
    4th class crewman

Number of posts : 6
    Imperial Credits : 652
    Registration date : 2018-07-31

Post by Lease of Life on 10/6/2018, 12:35 pm

Wait, what? Holy crap!

I don't speak Japanese (nor will be able to read something like Seikai in the near future) but it feels good to know that volumes 5 and 6 are out there, and someday I'll get to read them.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 10/8/2018, 3:26 pm

The earlier volumes have already been translated so you might want to try to look for them.
    UMie
    UMie
    Recruite
    Recruite

Number of posts : 3
    Imperial Credits : 88
    Registration date : 2019-04-24

First New SnS Novel in 5 Years Empty Spoiler alert

Post by UMie on 4/24/2019, 1:15 pm

Greetings. Assuming you guarantee safe passage and return for United Mankind representative, I am authorized to reveal some spoilers. Smile

Us intelligence operatives were lurking around this forum for a while, so after reading this topic I was pretty much surprised to learn, that all six SNS novels have been fan-translated to Russian language (thanks to Ushwood). Very convenient for me, since it’s my native language. I have read book 5  and gave veeeery fast reading to book six, so my spoilers are currently incomplete/ Some info about book 5 will be provided on it’s existing topic later, here I will focus on book 6. I am also less interested about Jinto/Lafiel and other sorts of relations, and more in the setting itself, and how the war between Four Nations Alliance and Romanticized Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere Humankind Empire Abh progresses. I am also not big fan of anime (with a few exceptions), but quite fond of sci-fi, and this is quite rare example of japanese sci-fi.

Spoiler:

- the book events occur 10 years after Abh defeat at Lakfakalle.
    - the sides are at stalemate. Abh are suffering from significant shortages of everything, including manpower. The later is so critical, that Abh are actually forced to appease and negotiate with controlled planets to gain what’s necessary – something almost completely unheard previously.
    - map of controlled territories is one hell of a mess. See below:
    - three of the eight kingdoms, Fek Kryb (Cryb), Fek Balgzeder (Baalzede), Fek Irik (Ilysr) are completely controlled by the Alliance. Fek Skirl (Skiil) is besieged. On the other hand, most of the UM lost territory is still held by Abh, although there are pockets of resistance and systems, who prefer blockade to surrender. This means, that Empire lost half of the territory (if we count the besieged area), but four of the linked kingdoms are also almost split in two groups – the Empire controlls narrow passage going through UM’s lost territory. Should Alliance retake this passage not only will they will cut the remainder of the Empire in half, but will be also able to retake lost UM territory (which is also split in two). The book provides no details but mentions that the struggle is desperate on both sides.
    - the book is centered about the operation Imperial Thunder under Lafiel's command, which culminates in the invasion into People’s Union of Sovereign Systems home system, and ends in the destruction of this state (but, while Abh do destroy them, it seems that most of it’s territories end up not under their control). The Abh are mostly pitted against Union's and Hania’s forces (Hania forms majority), UM and Republic of Great Alkont are almost non-existent in the book.
    - the “doves” party in Hanian government, that are willing to surrender to the Empire for peace, prosperity, happiness and a couple of planetary nobility titles are still strong. The author seems to carefully retcon the original representation of the faction as strong, but operating in secret, because their actions will not be supported by majority of the citizens, to more “military coup” style. Will probably explain later
    - The combined Union/Hania forces in final battle were like 80% of the strength of the invading Abh forces, and were swiftly beaten mostly because Hanians left their Union allies due to the machinations of both Hanian doves and war party (for various reasons. “Doves” want to shatter the will of their people to fight, and war party sees Union as somewhat shaky, and essentially doing peaceful occupation of the state.

If you want, you can ask questions, will try to answer them to the best of my ability. Safe passage guaranties first, please Smile
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 4/24/2019, 1:33 pm

Welcome to the forum!
    Thanks for joining. There's also a discord server.
    http://kinofthestars.catsboard.com/t242-discord-server-now-open

It's fine. The spoilers won't travel far at this point. Thanks for sharing as most of us can't read russian. Also if you have time take a look at our wiki and perhaps add information to it.
    http://seikai.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Main_Page
    Lease of Life
    4th class crewman
    4th class crewman

Number of posts : 6
    Imperial Credits : 652
    Registration date : 2018-07-31

Post by Lease of Life on 4/26/2019, 3:41 am

Most importantly, how is Jinto doing? What is his current job?

Dude’s one of my favorite characters in all of fiction. I envy his social skills and his benign sarcasm.
    UMie
    UMie
    Recruite
    Recruite

Post by UMie on 4/26/2019, 6:03 am

Almael wrote:Welcome to the forum!
    Thanks for joining. There's also a discord server.
    link

It's fine. The spoilers won't travel far at this point. Thanks for sharing as most of us can't read russian. Also if you have time take a look at our wiki and perhaps add information to it.
    link

Thank you for the invitation. We're about to have a large holidays in Russia, so all big updates will be afterwards (10-11 of May) Will see, what i can do about the wiki, but since my writing skills in English are not very good, whatever i will add will benefit from some editing. There is definitely some data to be added or changed from books 5 and 6 like Hania and Union's info, some info about Alliance offensive and battle of Lakfakalle (for example - Hanian task force in battle for Lakfakalle and Kryb kingdom was not reduced to two ships - it was composed of two ships. They simply had no more to spare - the rest were used elsewhere), etc.

Lease of Life wrote:Most importantly, how is Jinto doing? What is his current job?

Dude’s one of my favorite characters in all of fiction. I envy his social skills and his benign sarcasm.

Spoiler:
    Our intelligence reports that he is now Kilo-Commander-administrator and Lafiel's personal aide-de-camp. He pretty much controlls her entire schedule. Smile

Wits and sarcasm are still with him.

No big movements on personal front. There is a moment described from Lafiel's POV, when she looks him in the eyes, and then suddenly cannot maintain eye contact, because she notices, that he is aging. Also, he still didn't became total Abh psychologically. It is hinted, that he probably does not want to. Lafiel recognises, that she is both attracted to this part of him, and despises it. She instinctively reaches his cheek with her hand, much to his confusion. Then he holds her hand (still on his cheek), saying that he is not old yet by landers standards, and that they do live longer than cats (guess her single-word response).

Both survive. No deaths among major characters, actually. Seems like author have decided, that one big defeat is enough for Abh, and went back to them curb-stomping everything with significant local advantage.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 4/26/2019, 12:58 pm

Yes. welcome and thanks for the spoilers. Don't worry about your English either as it's good. Very Happy
    In the anime Jinto realizes that he'll be growing old when Lafiel is still young looking, don't know if the same is in the novels.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 4/30/2019, 12:15 am

The biggest problem or critique about SnS6 is the ten year jump in the story and that not much happened in that time.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 5/1/2019, 12:54 pm

Hmmm....Aside from the obvious promotions it seems.
    UMie
    UMie
    Recruite
    Recruite

Post by UMie on 5/21/2019, 5:00 pm

Hi there again. Just to let you know, i have not abandoned the idea to do some contribution. I am currently working on the article and subarticles that will cover the SNS V novel events in greater detail. Business trips do not help Smile.
    I expect a draft to be made within a week, and one more week will be spent on it's polishing.
    I have also added some small info on the People's Sovereign Union of Planets, more to get aquainted with the wiki, than do some significant contribution.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover Yesterday at 12:52 pm

Thanks. Keep up the good work. Very Happy

Sponsored content