Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.
Kin of the Stars

A community for the fans of Crest of the Stars, Abh culture, anime, technology, science fiction, video games, and friendly conduct.

Random Thought

mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 2827
    Imperial Credits : 12708
    Registration date : 2009-04-10

Random Thought - Page 18 Empty Re: Random Thought

Post by mitsuki lover on 4/10/2019, 2:41 pm

Looks cool.

Need more fun non-preachy movies that aren't related to either Marvel or DC these days.
    What do you think of the new Hellboy?

Reading the Star Trek novel The Needs of the Many different type of novel as it's basically Jake Sisko grown up interviewing various characters about the Long War with the Undine aka
    Species 8472. The author uses the conceit that he's really Jake's writing partner so it makes it rather interesting.

Been re-reading the Catwoman story arch where Scarecrow develops a Femfear drug that supposedly only works on females. The end of the second part has Selina shoot herself with some of the drug....why can't tv be this fun and good? I'd love me a Catwoman series as long as it was as good as the '90s comic. Also they should have Peter David write a couple episodes of the Supergirl tv series if he hasn't already and bring in Mary Marvel...just saying...
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 2686
    Imperial Credits : 14972
    Registration date : 2009-03-18

Post by Almael on 4/11/2019, 4:12 pm

I hear it's good.

The new Hellboy.. hmm, more fun, crazy and british? Very Happy
    Apropos:

Hmm, will have to take a look when I get around it.

Yeah, a catwoman show would be nice.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 4/12/2019, 2:46 pm

But only if it were done right. Not like the movie which btw even Halle Berry honestly thought sucked.

Soooo....AOC hath done it again....shown the depths of her stupidity when she tried to argue that a Texas Republican rep. didn't do enough after 9/11 even though said rep. is a decorated Navy Seal who lost an eye to an IED attack in Afghanistan....Is she really this stupid?

The Orville return to the Moclans again with this time the discovering of a colony of female Moclans. IIRC it's Isaac that states there are over 6,000 biological beings on the planet. Since most were female it raises the question has to how infrequent female births on Moclaus really are.

And we got to see Marina Sirtis make her appearance as the ship's new teacher! Very Happy That and her old imzadi from STNG friggin' Jonathan Frakes directed. And if it couldn't get any better all three admirals( Kelly Hu, Victor Garber and Ted Danson) show up...

In the meantime only one episode left before the series finale of Gotham at the end of the month and the scene we all have been waiting for:Bruce Wayne finally donning the cape and cowl and finally becoming the Batman. Even though this has been Ben Mckenzie's show the break out actor everyone has to agree with has been Robin Lord Taylor as the Penguin.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 4/15/2019, 3:29 pm

Making a list of top 100 favorite anime. After Madlax at #21 and GITS at #22 it gets rather random. Just put titles down as I remember.

Probably not so curiously I put Kampfer before Ranma 1/2, the whole Horie Yui factor at work there.

Another thing I'm doing is taking an atlas and marking down the various places that appear on my DNA map. Some are easier to find than others. Right now I'm in Russia.

After that I think I look up Turkey...

So my top four Superheroes are:

1.Superman

2.Captain America

3.Batman

4.Spider-man

mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 4/17/2019, 1:04 pm

The bad news was the fire in Notre Dame cathedral the good news was that a lot of the valuable treasures were managed to be saved and it was only the top part that was destroyed. It appears that they are now looking at the firm that was hired to do the renovation work, probably for carelessness as I think they ruled out arson.

It took centuries for the cathedral to be built and only one act of carelessness for it to be nearly destroyed. And this is a building that survived the Hundred Years War, the French Revolution, The Reign of Terror, Napoleon's rule, WW1, WW2 and the German occupation, various riots through the centuries,etc.

Basically it can be considered the Heart and Soul of France.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 4/18/2019, 2:27 pm

Yeah, most likely work accident or careless but arson and theft has been appearing in recent years all over europe. So can't rule out everything.
    Yeah, sad but the truth is once something is destroyed it won't ever return the same regardless what it's about.
    No doubt it's france's most priced treasure aside from a certain island perhaps and maybe the Eiffel tower.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 4/19/2019, 1:03 pm

The Eiffel Tower comes close.
    Though apparently the AP thinks Notre Dame was a tourist mecca that happened also to be a house of worship. It's like they think the whole idea of it being a place to worship God was some how an after thought by the builders.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 4/21/2019, 3:16 pm

Well, they all where build at a time when pilgrimage was at its high as well as selling letters for indulgence. Today with dwindling believer numbers and monetary support this kind of financing can't be avoided.

Sri Lanka is being hit hard again. That island has so many problems it's a bit of a wonder it was peaceful for the past decade+. I it's entering the same phase as the Philippines did recently.

ST Discovery
    Season 2 is over if I'm not mistaken. So far we got the final battle with Control/section31. As Discovery could not be destroyed because the super alien database protects itself. Micheal and co hatch a plan again to send a new time-suit into the future together with Discovery. But she can't get a fix on the future.
    As the battle rages on she realizes that the previous signals where actually her doing and she had to do them first in order to progress into the future. Seems like a linear time-line-time-travel law at play.
    In the end Discovery and Micheal are gone and everyone involved denies knowing what went on. Starfleet orders the whole case to be a national secret and stricken from records. Section 31 is officially eradicated and moved into the shadows.
    The D-7 as we know it appears for the first time (I think). Spoke has shaved himself and reports back to duty on Enterprise. I guessing this is where the Enterprise story starts.

mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 4/22/2019, 4:09 pm

Series finale of Gotham Thursday. All the actors are finally in place. Last episode Jim Gordon finally became Commissioner Gordon and Bruce had his iconic vision of the future. This version Selina is with him when the bats appear ( the whole series has been showing how their love/hate relationship originated). Also Ed finally announces he's no longer to be known as Edward Nigma but The Riddler. And Jim Gordon and Barbara Kean's infant daughter gets her name: Barbara Gordon.

Sad to see it finally end, but at last we have come to the iconic moment we knew would happen: the moment when Bruce dawns the cape and cowl...

Yesterday and today I have spending some time at the Gedmatch Genesis website playing around with their various DNA analysis tests. Along with being Scottish I appear also to be Orcadian that is from the Orkney Islands. Makes sense with both my Scottish and Scandinavian ancestry. Also seem to be a bit Cornish (yep they do include Cornish as separate from English).Though I still don't understand how you read spread sheets too well.

Other than that I have been having a blast looking through the various test results.Also my closest match happens to be my Aunt! Laughing Laughing Laughing
    Makes sense.

Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 4/24/2019, 1:28 pm

Interesting, and it's great we can trace history like that. I bet some new things will be uncovered in the near future.

SnS6 has been translated into russian by ushwood.
    http://ushwood.ru/bots/#v6

mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 4/24/2019, 1:30 pm

So I am finding that Gedmatch Genesis is a pretty addictive place if you're into Genetic Genealogy or Genealogy period. Spent a lot of time yesterday simply going from project to project on it making a list of the top 20 ethnicities I got on each. I did so to look for any pattern. I think that's the best way of doing it: looking for patterns. I did and got a few surprises:

1. evidentally they don't list Swiss or it's combined with South German and North Italian.
    2.Cornish is listed as separate from English although one page had Cornish____England.
    3.Apparently my Eastern European from Myheritage seems to be mainly Hungarian...pass the paprika! Laughing
    4.AFAIG with my Scandinavian: Mostly Norwegian and Swedish with a little Danish and even a bit Icelandic!

If I were to base my ethnicity on this I'd say I was:
    German-English-Orcadian-French-Norwegian-Swedish-Scottish-Dutch-Hungarian-Irish-Spanish.

Then again as they say this ain't rocket science nor is it exact so caveat emptor,etc.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 4/26/2019, 1:13 pm

For the heck of it I looked up what the Native American results for me were at the various Gedmatch Genesis calculators and while there were a couple that had nothing most of them had some percentage.They ranged from 1.50 to 0.06. Not bad for some one who has no known Native American ancestry! (Thinking it has something to do with the fact that I have Colonial American ancestry that date backs to the earlier parts of the 17th century.)

Gotham is finally done. The best parts of the series finale:

1. Bruce and Selina's final meeting on the rooftop

2. Penguin and Gordon on the dock

3.The Reveal at the end

4.Selina stealing the diamond

5.The Riddler's and Penguin's double act

Also season finale of The Orville yesterday and we see the results of what happened after Kelly turns down Ed's offer for a second date(creates an alternative time line where the Kaen basically conquer the galaxy and all organic life, including animal life, is extinguished.)..

So AOC shot herself in the foot again(what else is new?) the gal can't even tell the difference between Republicans and her own party leadership. The woman is dumber than dirt. Seriously if she weren't real someone would have had to invent her.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 4/29/2019, 2:13 pm

Checked out the Dragonlance animated movie to watch after The Resident tonight.

Twins swept Orioles over the weekend. Very Happy Now that we no longer get the paper on a daily basis but on Wednesday and Sunday only feel freer to follow my Minnesota teams. Also been started to follow the Yankees over at Pin Stripe Ally at Sbnation. Having relatives in New Jersey who are Yankee fans helps... Laughing

Though the fact that Arod is no longer playing is another factor...

A week from Friday the new season of Marvel's Agents of SHIELD start might be the final season as well now with Coulson dead.

Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 4/30/2019, 12:27 am

After watching a bit of Games of Thrones I see so much similarities to Dune it's like a ripoff. Only that the original characters got made into many. Of course dozen of others I don't bother to list.
    Anyhow, there's big showdown battles in the last season so I'll take a look.

Anyhow, I also got to get around to watch the remake of "True Grit". It's well made, more authentic/realistic and closer to the novel. The actors are good, too, but I think it's not as lively as the original. Although, there are stretches in the original I find somewhat boring but that's probably my modern point of view.

Hm, SHIELD isn't dead yet? Laughing

Saw a bit of Future Man on Hulu. At first I wasn't pleased with it but then it just got more and more hilarious. That's probably the only good point about the show.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 5/1/2019, 1:13 pm

I think season 6 is going to be the final season though there has been some rumor of season 7 but for all intents and purposes season 6 seems to be it. FOX in the meanwhile canceled The Gifted, makes sense since the way the season 2 finale ended.

I would guess that unless something unforeseen happens both The Resident and The Orville should be safe for a season 3 renewal.And speaking of The Orville Alara was finally back but in the alternate time line. So I wonder what they'll do next season.

I wonder how popular the CW's new Batwoman series is going to be, after all she's more of a C list character and not as well known as the other characters.

The reason Gotham was so popular was everyone knew who James Gordon was but there was also the anticipation of the finale with the big reveal at the end. Also we had Robin Lord Taylor's Penguin,which basically stole the show.

Been having fun fooling around at Gedmatch Genesis lately with what they call Chromosome Painting, basically it's something that shows your different ethnicities using different colors. Some of my results look like a nursery schooler or kindengartner went wild with the finger paints. Although my one complaint is that sometimes the colors look too much alike so you can't tell if for example red is for Amerindian or West Asian...
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 5/1/2019, 10:15 pm

Seeing how many shows got axed on Netflix, I dare predict in the future there will be a move to single season shows like how most japanese, korean, chinese shows are today. Only franchise shows get more seasons. This would allow shows to be more experimental and "fresh". Life will be harder for actors.

Well, I feel "The Orville" S2 is bit kind of stuck in a loop with exploiting Bortus and the Moclus. There isn't much room left so either S3 will be exploring or expanding the war or it might end up losing people's interest. Or Seth MacFarlane has to start recycling Family guy.

10 years ago Batwoman might have gotten canceled for all kinds of reason similar to Wonder Woman with Adrianne Palicki (Kelly from the Orville). Today, with more violence and sex on screen I think the show will do just fine as with most any other hero show.

Yeah, Gotham kind of combines two popular lines of show the detective/crime genre and superhero genre.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 5/3/2019, 1:32 pm

I think as long as they're still able to get A listers and other familiar faces that The Orville will do ok. But agree that maybe too much Moclus this season; though I did like the episode where they find the all female colony.
    The season finale was rather good as it stressed just how big a threat the Kaelon are. I'd like to see what happens with the new alliance with the Krill in season 3 and where that goes.

Part of the success of Marvel's Agents of SHIELDhas been its tie in with the rest of the MCU. That and freakin' Clark Gregg. I always thought the main problem with the DCEU is that they never had someone like Coulson to act as the viewer's stand in. This is another reason for the success of

Gotham as Ben McKenzie's James Gordon was the closest any DC show or movie had to a Coulson type character.

My main problem with the whole Batwoman thing is that DC still has plenty of A list heroes and even villains who haven't had their own series yet like Green Lantern.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 5/6/2019, 4:14 pm

I hope no-one ever decides to reboot or remake KOR.

Yankees beat the Twins 4-1 in a rainy day in Yankee Stadium. I guess if I had never lived in either Minnesota or Washington State I might've been a Yankee fan.

Well except for the whole A-Rod thing. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

It hasn't taken the Mariners too long to reach their usual mediocrity this season.

What would be a good Lupin The Third to add to my collection since I already have: The Castle of Cagliostro and the movie version of Lupin The Third vs. Detective Conan?

Getting even a bit of non-European in my DNA has left me with questions about certain aspects of my heritage.Be curious to know which side of the family it comes from and how long ago. I guess some of it probably comes from my paternal grandfather's side since he was from Virginia and for some reason or other white Southerners tend to be more mixed in heritage than other white Americans.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 5/8/2019, 1:04 pm

The Flash yesterday: Cisko quotes Stan Lee: "True Believers" and Ralph goes all 12th Doctor:
    "Timey Wimey" (is Dibney Matt Smith in disguise? Laughing Laughing Razz Razz Razz ). Heck they even have a Supergirl mention: "Before she goes all supergirly…"
    But what is incomprehensible is in a room literally full of geniuses Ralph Dibney is the one who figures out that Eobard Thawn's entire plan had to to do with Cicada's knife...Dibney?

That's like Ben Grimm explaining neuclar physics to Reed Richards... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Finally got around to mowing the lawn yesterday. That's once done for the Spring.

Our church is now sponsoring a 4H club and so they're going to be doing the church lawn for most of the Summer.

Now it looks like Biden and who wants to be Veep for the Dems.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 5/10/2019, 1:21 pm

Snopes apparently is even fact checking The Babylon Bee these days...like seriously dude?!…
    It's aparody site! (The Babylon Bee that is not Snopes although Snopes does seem to have gone down hill since it's hay day.)

My copy of Inukami came in the mail yesterday, so sooner than expected. Also sent away for the
    KOR blu ray.

My theory is that Biden keeps being ahead because all the really serious Democrats realize that everyone else is a self-parody, so it's either Biden or dig up Hubert Humphrey.

BTW: I liked Humphrey, he was from Minnesota...

Speaking of Minnesota looks like the Twinkies have gone 4-2 on their eastern road trip so far. Went 1-2 in NYC and 3-0 in Toronto. IIRC.
    Michael Pineda who started out as a Mariner and then was a Yankee in now on their pitching staff.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 5/11/2019, 5:06 am

I dunno about the candidates this time either but yeah it comes down to Sanders or Biden for the dems. Maybe I'm too disillusioned.

Saw Games of Thrones Season8 ep3 the all important battle of the whole series. Looks nice. Strategically/tactically meh. Although, 90+% should be dead it's said to be only 50%. Someone doesn't know a thing about war and certainly no with such a threat. From what I heard they spend 55 (days)nights to do this episode. Doesn't sound efficient to me. Although, I presume most of the time they were just rehearsing. And from all the fires they use through out the battle makes things seriously bad.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA5mJRFaI8c

Anyway, I'll try to schedule for Captain Marvel and maybe Shazam if the opportunity presents.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/05/final-fantasy-vii-remake-finally-looks-like-a-video-game-and-its-a-pretty-one/
    https://youtu.be/Df0YG3qfZ8E
    I'm so into buying games/remakes again but got to say I'm interested.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2019/05/jeff-bezos-unveils-his-sweeping-vision-for-humanitys-future-in-space/
    Meh, this all about business. If any of them is serious there's one single most important step and that is the space elevator.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 5/13/2019, 3:51 pm

Then again the pundits and such live in their own little bubble as seen by the fact that Time has Warren on the cover even though she's not even close to the other two. The Spokesman Review ran an article on Governor Inslee but he's at 1% with everyone else.

Both THE ORVILLE and MARVEL's AGENTS OF SHIELD have been renewed, the former for Season 3 and the latter for Season 7.

Went to the dentist today and then went and got new comics. Added the following:

1.Aquaman #10, Sept. 1992
    2.Aquaman #59 Sept. 1999
    3.Doom Patrol and Suicide Squad Special 1988
    4.Doom Patrol #1 October 2005
    5.Detective Comics #857 November 2009...features Batwoman
    6.Supergirl New 52 #1 November 2011
    7.The Adventures of Superman #637 April 2005
    8.The Incredible Hulk vol.1 #387 November 1991

This is the first time I have bought any Doom Patrol since I've been an X-Men fan since the '90s I thought it be interesting to check the DP out.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 5/15/2019, 1:15 pm

The 2019 Democratic Primary slate not has overtaken the 2016 Republican Primary slate as the largest in history. And yet the top two candidates remain two white old men: Biden and Sanders (maybe because they're the only ones most people know or give a crap about).

Can't wait for tomorrow as it's the Twins vs. Mariners, start of their usual regular season meeting.

Dark Phoenix first trailer aired. The first non Avengers movie for a long while, also is it part of the MCU or not?

So despite all that Nora did in this season of The Flash all that happened is that Barry is going to disappear sooner than later( the date on the newspaper now reads 2019). Maybe he's running for the Democratic nomination for President? Laughing Laughing Laughing These days that's the best way to do a disappearing act. Also Cisco decides to take the Cure...don't think that's a bright idea since as Vibe he had the ability to act as Team Flash's eyes into the future and he could also make mini-wormholes to take himself and others instantly from place to place.Finally Nora herself disappears because rewriting history changed her own future, though I was disappointed they didn't have Iris confine to Barry that she's pregnant at the end.
    It would make for an interesting twist---Nora vanishes but Iris finds out she's pregnant with Nora.

mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 5/17/2019, 1:40 pm

Rain.

Twinkies beat the Ms 11-6 yesterday night. Maybe they shouldn't have renamed Safeco T-Mobile Park?

Been to the dump today. Glad to get that little job out of the way finally.

Kimagure Orange Road has been sent. So should be here sometime between the weekend and next weekend. Now if only someone would license Please Save My Earth and also PGSM
    then I could replace all of my old fansubs….not likely to happen

But who'dve thunk of it ten years ago that we would even be getting KOR back?

My thinking on DNA for genealogy now is that percentages don't matter as much as persistency,that is the more frequently one gets a certain ethnicity is more important than how much of it one gets from each testing company. Which is why I can be certain I have some Hungarian because of the number of times it's shown up.

My feeling about DC vs. Marvel is: Marvel is like visiting your best friends house, while DC is like going home to be with your family.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 5/20/2019, 2:03 pm

AFAIG with Supergirl:
    1.Lex does his imitation of an Evil Tony Stark/Iron Man (although his armor his more like that of the Master Sergeant in Halo than the Iron Man one).
    2. ummm….No! that is not how the 25th Amendment works. Also they're confusing the 25th Amendment with Article 2 Section 4, which is the one about impeaching the President, Vice President and other high officials for Bribery, Treason and other High Crimes and Misdemeanors. The 25th Amendment would only go into affect if the President or Vice President felt he was too mentally or physically unable to carry out his duties. In Real Life this amendment gets invoked whenever the President in office either has surgery or has his annual physical, which means in Real Life it's only temporary.
    3.Alex states when Kara's about to change into Supergirl: "I really missed this." which brings the question how could she have missed it when her memories were wiped of Kara being Supergirl? How can you miss something you don't have memories of?
    4. Lena Luthor bringing the cup down on the photo and smashing the glass was cool; it was also symbolic of her broken friendship with Kara and Alex.

Twins leave Seattle after winning the series 3 games to 1.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 5/23/2019, 4:55 am