Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.
Kin of the Stars

A community for the fans of Crest of the Stars, Abh culture, anime, technology, science fiction, video games, and friendly conduct.

Random Thought

mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 2677
    Imperial Credits : 12122
    Registration date : 2009-04-10

Re: Random Thought

Post by mitsuki lover on 8/24/2018, 1:23 pm

Supposed to get my DNA kit from Familytree sometime on Wednesday.
    If I had the money I would probably have ordered a couple more for comparison sake.

Vikings Vs Seahawks tonight.

Good thing it's not the regular season yet for Seattle as they still have a long ways to go before they're back in contention.

Hurricane already hit the outer Hawaiian islands and President Trump has already decreed a state of emergency and getting ready to send aid, but some people gotta whine.

FYI: Difference between Hawaii and Puerto Rico for those who don't know:
    Hawaii is an actual State whilst Puerto Rico is a Commonwealth associated with the
    U.S. The people of Puerto Rico haven't decided yet whether or not to go for full Statehood
    despite what some hot air politicians and pundits say.
    They stay pretty much divided as to whether to remain a Commonwealth, become a State or
    seek total Independence.
    Considering the economy of the island...good luck with the last!
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 2640
    Imperial Credits : 14571
    Registration date : 2009-03-18

Post by Almael on 8/26/2018, 12:12 pm

There'll be more hurricanes in the future. Luckily the islands are of vulcanic origins so they won't go down easily by storms but more likely to be drown by rising sea level. Life's gonna be much harder.

McCain has passed. RIP
    I honestly didn't expect it so soon... after his last book.
    Despite whatever everyone thinks of him or having differences he was a good man with integrity serving the country.

https://phys.org/news/2018-07-milky-long-lost-sibling.html
    https://phys.org/news/2018-08-stars-rebirth-home-galaxy.html
    Interesting, but not really surprising.
    Reminds me of the recent reemerging discussions on social media again about the missing aliens e.g. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/180506.If_the_Universe_Is_Teeming_with_Aliens_Where_Is_Everybody_
    So since the recent "rebirth" of the galaxy was 5 billions years ago which likely killed off any low level civilizations we're the first generation of this instance. Certainly, some could be a few hundred millions years older/more advanced.

Got hail recently. I got to say the temperature change of the past few days was quite dramatic. I guess it's a re-balancing issue for the hotter summer. I think the 2-3 year cycle where it swung between both extremes is a bit messed up now but will see.
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 8/27/2018, 3:45 pm

I voted for McCain when he ran in 2008. If he had won he would have been different from either
    Obama or Trump because of his expierences as a POW in Hanoi.
    Interesting to note after the war and he went back that even the North Vietnamese welcomed him
    back to cheers.

We also finally got some more rain yesterday and today. First time since early July. It's definitely
    getting cooler now that we're into the later end of Summer.
    We really needed the cooler weather and rain because of the fires.

So they renamed Highway 395 in Washington state in honor of Tom Foley the former Speaker of the House.

I think a lot of the anime I'm interested in now can be categorized as older, even if it's just
    5 or 6 years old. Right now it's just easier because keeping up with all the newer stuff is too
    hard to do.
    With the exception of RWBY I'll probably not be buying anything new for awhile, at least
    anything that's more recent.

And yeah I know technically speaking RWBY's not anime per se.

So the new Picard series is supposed to be coming out I wonder if this is simply an attempt to get
    the more die hard Next Generation fans to watch the newer Star Trek.
    But will this be set in the original or the JJ Abrams universe?
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 8/28/2018, 8:18 pm

The majority of new anime is just meh. Serious I hardly watch anime theses days. Being busy kind of fit into my situation.

I believe it's a return to ST:TNG/DS9/VOY. After Nemesis there was supposed to be a movie about Data's search/return.
    He said it would be a different Picard who's been marked by life etc. I dunno if any of the others return. It's been a long time.

Tenchiforum is back but it's as good as dead. Last post seems to be 1.5 months ago. Many have moved to discord.

So tired these days. After 2 years and counting I still haven't continue watching Sanada Maru ...
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 8/29/2018, 1:21 pm

Welp I haven't bothered to look it up so as far as I been concerned Tenchiforum has been as dead as
    Abhnations.

Jonathan Frakes seems to be busy these days directing so I wonder if he'd be even interested in
    returning to acting. I saw him on the episode of Charlie's Angels he was on, it was funny
    watching him several pounds slimmer and beardless.

Cheryl Ladd was originally Cherie Moor was born Cherie Stoopmoor from South Dakota.
    Her big break was as the singing voice of Melody on Josie And The Pussycats.
    Melody the Blonde whose ears always tingled whenever there was danger.

Well there are a few like Himouto! Umaru-chan but I think for the most part that
    there aren't too many that would be called significant or break out type. Mostly they seem to be
    reboots and retellings of previous anime.

I think there does come a point when we get older when we have to think about our
    priorities.
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 8/31/2018, 1:57 pm

So went to see the new Tenchiforum. The good news is that they're finally coming out with a spanky new Dual BD. Now I wonder who has the current license for it and when it's coming out.

The bad news is it does look out it's still pretty much inactive forumwise.

Still waiting for my DNA kit but it's only 2 days past when they said it be here, so not worrying about
    contacting them about it until after the 9th; if it's not here by then then I think it be time to worry.

Kristy Swanson aka the Movie Buffy came up with a rather hysterical list of items involving the
    word "monkey" that are probably going to be banned now by certain people just 'cause they
    might sound "racist".

Apparently the actor who played Tattoo on Fantasy Island has a biopic of him coming out on
    HBO the actor who played Tryion Lannister on Game of Thrones is playing him. Some people are up in arms because both happen to be white, but Wiki has it that the Fantasy Island actor was Filipino,which is wrong. So a lot of idiots are protesting.

Then again when was Wiki ever right about such things? scratch scratch
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 9/3/2018, 1:43 pm

Happy Labor Day one and all. Very Happy

Yesterday night I made a list of my 60 favorite anime. Some interesting things about it:
    #1 a number of titles were omitted but I think most of them, like K'ON would definitely
    have made it if it were a top 100 favorite list. Also some of them I didn't think about until today.
    Then again that's the problem with list making like this, you always forget something until the last
    moment.
    #2 what made the list certainly surprised even me. I mean Kampfer broke the top
    40 at #40...Horie Yui made me do it... Laughing
    #3 aside from Dual! I didn't list any of the Tenchi related titles separate, but generally place them all under Tenchi.
    #4I was surprised at how much ease it was to come up with the list, I thought it be harder.
    #5 Gundam could've been represented the same way as the various Tenchi related series but I only decided to add Wing and Seed to the list, doubtless if I do the top
    100 I will also add OO.

Now that there's going to be a KOR BD I can start looking forward to it. Supposed to be the complete tv and OVAs plus the movies. Although I wonder if there's a way of just getting the
    series and OVAs because I hear the first movie is depressing the way Kyousuke treats Hikaru.

Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 9/3/2018, 3:39 pm

cheers

Making a list is too troublesome these days. Laughing

I'll grab a set of KOR of course. Time to ditch the last of my tapes. Or hold onto them until the last player gives out. Gosh this consumerism. Laughing

Sweden is about to have a general election on Sunday
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/sep/03/sweden-elections-everything-you-need-to-know
    What's not said is since the year's beginning there have been 43 gun murders all across the country attributed to immigrants from the middle-east. Like everywhere in europe the neo-nazis are taking over.
    No surprise with recent developments not to mention I said so a decade ago. American neo-nazis are also coming to europe to establish new groups and to further consolidate the world wide neo-nazi network.
    Muslim extremists and them are still working together in the same network. Not to mention Putin also has his hand in there.

Meanwhile world economy is on the verge of disaster coming from the underdeveloped world thanks to past money policies. China is already facing the failure of their silkroad project, although, they are actually profiting from it.
    It's all about the easy loan/lending money policy of recent years to fight the last recession. While the developed countries profit from it it's a whole different story for the rest. As a result underdeveloped countries took more loan then they could cover. As we see the result from turkey and the falling lira, a disaster is waiting to happen. Amids falling currency some countries are eying bitcoins as national currency which also happens to be in the process of going obsolete.
    Oil prices are going up as planned and predicted. Another "fun" time ahead!

JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 681
    Imperial Credits : 8730
    Registration date : 2009-03-17

Post by JGZinv on 9/4/2018, 12:55 am

@ Mitsukilover - Tenchiforum is dead cause they pretty much migrated to Discord and after 2-3 years of the board being offline to anyone that wasn't a member already, no one cared to go back. It's basically an archive. Kinda like when IM's murdered the BBS...

@ Al - If you want a Discord I'm happy to set one up. You can DM me on there as JGZinv#2346
    I have a bunch of other servers so it's no big deal and it's free. Lord knows this place could go at any minute with the hosting being wonky over the years.

As for me... I got a job after 2 years... last 9 months been searching. Have to pass the usual tests and then I'll be in full time. Good pay, long term. My immediate concern is with the bankruptcy surrendering the house, we're due to be evicted in October. I've got to move everything in storage in less than a month while starting work mid month. Don't qualify for a rental yet. So um... yeah.

Anime community I run has gotten large on paper but we've lost a lot of staff and have no money. Folks won't donate. We've got competition of several fronts and their just the poster boys for everything. We ask for what they get and get turned away despite being here long before and doing much more for the community. Have run 200 events in 4 years.

So beyond all that crazy yeah...

Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 9/5/2018, 11:17 am

I suppose a discord channel could help keep members in touch but frankly I doubt I have the time to manage it. Moderation will be a problem.

Good luck!
    I know how it is with moving and all. I've moved like 10 times in the past 20 years. Gosh, last time helping out my cousin moving from west to east was crazy tough.
    Yeah, people are more tight on spending these days, too. Maybe, you should add some minor amount of ads to the site on the side bar. I don't like having links tied to money generation as they are prone to hacking & all.
    Apropos: https://gwillem.gitlab.io/2018/08/30/magentocore.net_skimmer_most_aggressive_to_date/
    Online shops are undermined by russian spying/stealing your account credentials.

JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Post by JGZinv on 9/5/2018, 11:19 am

With as few people as we're talking about, we can hardly call moderation necessary.

I'll see about setting something up, what's your Discord ID?

Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 9/5/2018, 11:41 am

Either Lafiel#0105 or OrcHunter#0105

Edit:
    @Mitsuki since we are at it. What's your current computer access status/computer specs?
    If possible join us on discord when the channel is setup
    https://discordapp.com/download
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 9/5/2018, 1:11 pm

Well I don't know what version of Microsoft we have since it is my mom's computer and I don't have one of my own. I don't know about the library any more as a long time ago they put the kabosh on
    forums because some kids were goofing around too much on the computers back in the day causing
    a lot of grief to other patrons.
    I wish I did have my own but $.
    JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Post by JGZinv on 9/5/2018, 1:38 pm

Still using two cans and string eh?  Long as it's post Win XP it should be able to manage. An up to date web browser is probably more necessary than the OS.

Technically you should be able to access Discord as a web portal, it works that way too.

Try this to go to TenchiForum - https://discord.gg/0PzvNpw143ulcepY Until I make an Abh server don't have a link to test with.

Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 9/6/2018, 10:44 am

@Mitsuki If you want to buy a computer now I think you have to consider forking up to 600 USD. Satisfaction and ability to do what you want are the most important factors because you will waste money and a lot more time if not.

The best you can get is a NUC, a simple box, but you would have to get peripheral accessories if you don't have them already (keyboard, display/monitor etc.).
    overview
    https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/boards-kits/nuc/mini-pcs.html
    $210.57
    https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/boards-kits/nuc/mini-pcs/nuc7cjysal.html
    mid range $523.99
    https://www.amazon.com/Intel-NUC-Mini-NUC6i7KYK-Core/dp/B01DJ9XS52
    top end $852.10
    https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Machine-NUC8i7HVK-Radeon-Graphics/dp/B07BR5GK1V

Alternatively, if you don't want extra spending on accessories it would have to be some netbook/laptop, but there would be a lot of downside or compromises at lower price range.
    You can get something in the 300 range but imho they are often ripoffs (outdated), unsafe, not future proof and more importantly they are trouble to use. Again you will end up in the 500+ range if you want something reliable.
    https://uk.pcmag.com/laptops/8334/guide/the-best-cheap-laptops-of-2018

JGZinv
    Admin
    Admin

Post by JGZinv on 9/6/2018, 10:55 am

Yeah but Al, he doesn't use a computer like you or I do as devs, he doesn't need something of that grade. A laptop or even a worthwhile tablet would work plenty well.

Ultimately you could get something not quite current from the last 1-3 generations and it's still going to do all the things. Having enough RAM, Win 10, a decent CPU, and if you're lucky a SSD to make it snappy is about all the key points unless you're doing modern gaming. For an internet device, really just those things matter. An el cheapo Compaq laptop with a RAM upgrade that I put in for $350 for a neighbor granted is a bit slow, but they use the net sparringly, and it's served what they wanted to do for the last 6 years or so. Likewise the used market has a lot of stuff that can be repurposed or is setup fairly well and cheap.

Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 9/7/2018, 1:14 pm

As I said in the anime section I tried Discord and the only thing left is remembering what the password is or if I can just use any password that comes to mind. I'll try again on Monday or whenever either of you can get the chance to reply.

In other news: got my flu shot for the year today at Safeway. They did it in the shoulder this time around. So when I see my doctor on the 18th I will be able to tell him that bit is done.

Also I should actually be getting my DNA kit from Familytreedna some time in the next work week.
    The last one ended up in the dead letter pile because for some reason the Familytreedna form
    only takes street and not actual mailing address; my mailing address is different from my street
    address so I had to give them my mailing address so they're sending it to the P.O.Box this time.

It's funny watching Matoi and realizing that Luciela is voiced by an adult "Lafiel" now.
    It be interesting to see if she and Shingo end up a couple unless Shiori winds up reappearing.
    So far it does look like that's the current direction of their relationship.
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 9/7/2018, 3:40 pm

Answered there already.

Eh, never realized that in Matoi.
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 9/10/2018, 2:49 pm

Yeah. You don't realize it probably since she's older now and her voice is probably a bit different.

Got some more new comics today:
    1.Red Sonja #35
    2.Silver Sable #4
    3.Daredevil #295
    4.Nomad #1
    5.Sam Wilson Captain America #9
    6.Thor #409
    7.Marvel Tales Featuring Spider-Man #264
    8.Marvel Tales Featuring Spider-Man #271
    9.Dr. Strange #64
    All but Red Sonja being Marvel.
    Interesting side fact Tolkien is said to have been a fan of the Conan stories.
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 9/12/2018, 1:22 pm

Er....I guess I ought to have checked my collection before buying as I found out I already have that
    particuliar copy of Red Sonja the only difference is the cover.

Tried out the discord thingy just now. Apparently as long as I'm logged in here I seem to be able to
    post there without any problems, just use the link that Jinv has up.

Choir practice starts again tonight at 6:30 p.m. so back to normal.

My DNA kit finally came and it was one of the easiest things to do: open packet, take out kit,
    watch a 9 year old video, read instructions, swab cheeks between 1 to 2 minutes, put in vials,
    put vials in plastic bag and put bag in packet, send packet in the mail.
    Now I have about a month to wait for my results once they get it at the lab.
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 9/14/2018, 1:18 pm

Ack... is everyone in a different time zone from me? There doesn't seem to be anyone on Discord
    when I went to post on Monday and today so wondering if the reason is different time zones.

interesting fact: apparently the time zones were created when the transcontinental railroad became a reality.

I think they need to make tech for klutzes that way those of us who have a habit of screwing things up and breaking things without thinking won't have to spend so much money on replacing things.
    Which leads me to my fave scene from Sailor Moon: Ami's First Love when the girls want to
    find out about Ami's unknown rival and Minako suggests they use the internet but it turns out none of them is able to because Ami is the only one who really knows how to use a computer! Laughing

Oh and this was interesting: even Jimmy Carter is starting to warn the Dems about going too far to the left now.Somewhere near Plains,Georgia Hell froze over.
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 9/17/2018, 3:23 pm

Well I'll try it again some other time.

Doctor tommorrow at 9:30 and that means I won't be able to eat until after 10:00 since I have
    to fast for the blood test.

Dentist at 9:00 on Wednesday, at least I'm getting both of them done with the same week and so
    don't have to worry about waiting.

A friend of mine from church is hoping to get a job at the local hospital. It's only two blocks from where she lives so if she gets it she'll be able to walk to work.

mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 9/19/2018, 1:25 pm

Soul Link should be coming soon.

As I said today has been talk like a Pittsburgh Pirate Day...joking...
    Though I rather be a Pirates fan than a Phillies fan the way things have been going for Philly.
    Can they find a way of simply cloning Jamie Moyer?
    Both Mariners and Phillies fans would approve of that idea. Laughing

And the Seahawks are 0-2 and everyone is about to abandon ship. It's not like they had any hopes of going to the Superbowl and winning this year, not with the Rams playing at the level they've been
    playing at since last year *koff* Cooper Kupp *Koff*.

Went to the doctor yesterday and dentist today, the only concern is still with my gums. Periodontists are pretty expensive and I have no way of going all the way down to Spokane to have them looked at so it's pretty much of a stand still between me and the hygentist.

After having taken my own DNA test I decided to read up on the difference between the spit and the cheek swap tests. Basically they take from the same area of the inside of the cheeks; the difference is the quantity of DNA they actually pick up. With the spit it's a bit less because there's
    a lot extraneous stuff that gets picked up too; with the swab you pick it up directly.

mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 9/21/2018, 1:17 pm

Well, I think I'll try Discord again on Monday. It just seems that, as I said, the whole time zone thing
    plus it doesn't seem as many people are posting as hoped.

The good news from my doctor appointment was that I no longer have to take my meds 3x a day;
    I can take them 2x instead. My goal is of course to get where I only have to do them 1x per day.

The Gifted and I think also The Resident both return this coming week.
    The biggie though seems to be 911 as they're doing a 2 day event on Sunday and Monday.
    Also Last Man Standing with Tim Allen arrives officially on FOX.

My prediction for my DNA test is that it'll probably show a lot of British Isles,mainly Scots and English and a bit of Irish and Welsh;plenty of Western Europe,mainly French and German;and some Scandinavian and maybe a bit Southeastern Europe,probably a tad bit Italy and Sicily the latter based on what my aunt told me her results from AncestryDNA were: as far north as Scandinavia and as far south as Sicily.

If there are any non-European markers they probably would be from the Mideast. And descending from slave owners I probably have a more than likely chance of African than Native American DNA
    hiding out somewhere, but even that's pretty remote.
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 9/28/2018, 1:33 pm

My problem mainly was that for some reason on Monday we couldn't get on to Firefox; and for some
    reason when I logon with Firefox it seems to do so automatically but when I try with Microsoft it
    didn't, which is why I had to get a new password.
    Should have updated last Friday...oh well!

Other things Sen. Booker could've said besides "I am Spartacus!":

1. "This is Sparta!"
    2. "Let my people go!"
    3. "Looie, I believe this is the start of a beautiful friendship."
    4. "Nah! What's up doc?"
    5. "I know Nothin'!"
    6. "Round up the usual suspects."
    7. "Nanu Nanu"
    8. "Live Long and Prosper!"
    9. "Flintstones,,,Meet The Flintstones..."
    10. "Say good night Gracie."
    11. "Whose on First?"

Actually the one thing we probably will come away from these hearings is that Sen. Booker has a thing for old Kirk Douglas movies.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 12/18/2018, 11:23 pm