Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.
Kin of the Stars

A community for the fans of Crest of the Stars, Abh culture, anime, technology, science fiction, video games, and friendly conduct.

Random Thought

mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 2634
    Imperial Credits : 11929
    Registration date : 2009-04-10

Re: Random Thought

Post by mitsuki lover on 4/25/2018, 1:36 pm

I prefer the Wild myself.... Laughing Laughing Laughing .......NHL joke.

Real Blues can be pretty raw and wild when you listen to it, as opposed to the commercialized stuff.

Looked up Robert Johnson in the internets afterwards and his life was wilder than they could put on tv. Died at 27 because he supposedly drank some liquor that was poisoned by a jealous husband.

My whole point was that Nixon wasn't overthrown by anyone he resigned before he could be
    impeached.Then again the problem with these time travel shows is a bit of illiteracy when it comes
    to actual history.

Yeah, now everyone seems to be in the race to either make the better stealth plane or the better
    tech to overcome the stealth planes. It was inevitable. part of the arms race..

The last bits of snow finally faded away and melted and we've had nothing but green and warm weather for awhile now.

Went and got my eye doctor appointment for next month and nine days later I go for my dentist.

mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 4/25/2018, 2:37 pm

Ok, just got through looking it up on the internet and it seems to be a normal feature of the Java
    for this type of Samsung BD player. One way you can re-set it is by opening the tray again and
    supposedly it goes back to the start again for the disc.
    Not going to worry about it then.Simply use Disc Menu, I guess.
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 2615
    Imperial Credits : 14423
    Registration date : 2009-03-18

Post by Almael on 4/25/2018, 4:46 pm

I see, that makes sense. But they should advertise it so you wouldn't be surprise by it.

Recently the british helicopter project was also revealed and it's obviously still secret.
    https://www.aerosociety.com/news/exclusive-1980s-uk-secret-stealth-attack-helicopter-project-revealed/
    It obviously has a lot of common features with the Comanche but with outdated tech. Even the Comanche is outdated today. If the chinese are working on one right it surely will have better tech than both.

An explanatory discussion on quantum radar and communications.
    https://www.aerosociety.com/news/useful-uncertainty/

For the past few weeks there's been a lot of talk about plastic in the oceans again and a new report for Antarctica came out (see pdf):
    https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-018-03825-5
    Aside from the increase in trash they found they also managed to ID the productive origin. Using that they inferred the amount by countries with coastal access. It's logical but flawed. Some or many companies are ordering their material from cheap producing countries. Therefore, the obvious conclusion presented by data that most come from poor countries isn't necessarily because of the people being more careless. These people surely have a lesser conscience about pollution than us but they have by far not the same buying power to create more trash than us. The good news is that only about 20% gets into the ocean.
    It's still safe to swim in most places, although, your body will be covered with micro particles when you come out.

Shocking! Someone discovered the connection between math and physics!
    https://www.symmetrymagazine.org/article/the-coevolution-of-physics-and-math
    Both fields have the smartest people. Only astrophysics the marriage of both (surprise! ) has smarter people.

for some entertainment (watch it):
    The Earth is really a double planet. Our Moon is much too large in relation to the Earth to be considered a moon.
    Someone people seem to have forgotten Pluto with its binary now trinary planetary system and of course the fact that binary stars are most common. And yeah they don't know how to count in math, physics or chemistry...
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 4/26/2018, 6:21 am

The ESA has released the Gaia 2.0 catalogue!
    http://sci.esa.int/gaia/60036-gaia-data-release-2-virtual-reality-resources/
    http://gea.esac.esa.int/archive/visualization/
    Amazing only two years after the first one. If memory serves it took 2-3 decades for the Hipparcos catalogue to even get one update. And the best thing is there is ready software for it. You don't have to manually adjust things to use it like it was for the hipparcos (what a pain).

In order to reduce food waste Europe has been allowing supermarkets to sell food beyond their expiration dates by some margin. I don't think it's working at least not for me. From what I see the perishable ingredients (vegetables etc.) I've bought about 10-20% is already going bad. Since packets are always sold with quantities of 3 or 6 portions=persons I had a hard time to keep up with consumption. The worse of all had been carrots. It seems like they rot within 3-5 days in the fridge. I ended up throwing more food away then I would have in the past.

mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 4/27/2018, 3:31 pm

I wonder who came up with that brilliant idea then. If it's that bad then the garbage or a
    compost pile would be the only two things it would be fit for.

Yeah, it would've been nice if they mentioned it in the owner's manual.

OTOH the really cool thing is that you don't have to worry about setting up the language when
    you watch something like anime in another language as it also bookmarks the language you're
    watching in.

Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 4/27/2018, 5:13 pm

Well, it's more like it's region locked the first time you use it. There seems to be a rethinking in the industry about getting rid of region locking. But I highly doubt it since it involves copyrights, tariffs, local media laws etc.

Airbus has reveled a drone mockup they intend to make. Obviously a European only venture. But no specification have been finalized. Heh. And there's still the debate about armed drones going on. I doubt there's much to be expected but they will get it done as usually. Late, outdated and probably useless when it comes out.

Also Airbus and Dassault announced their plan to work together to create an Eurofighter successor. Meh. Both have solid works made but the french had been delivering mediocre results while Airbus had been failing with its A440M. Even if they managed to create a good design it will always end up mediocre. Even if Japan joins them. The reason is simple no matter what their specification always is aimed at (EU) national defense. Therefore, it will end up as a better than interceptor but less than superiority fighter. Having Japan on board only means extra unnecessary design details added to accommodate each countries specific system each of them want to use. It will end up like delayed, costly, outdated like the Typhoon & F-35.

Bosch has revealed their new diesel engine with "unbelievable"  clean exhaust values. Looks like they had been holding the technology back but in light of recent scandals were forced to show it. Meh.
    I'm far more interested in Mazda's to be revealed wankel engine they had been announcing last year. According, to Mazda they have solved all the engine's problems. The interesting bit is that it's a small engine to be used as part of a hybrid system. This means it can be run all the time to generate electricity while not being used excessively e.g. in idle mode. This actually might turn to be the solution for future hybrids and other "low" power applications.
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 4/29/2018, 3:29 pm

I'm sure the food waste issue was orchestrated by the food industry to undermine food expiration date regulation and control. The media had been talking for weeks before revealing the food waste research results about how it'S save to consume food past their expiration date. Coincidence! Afterwards the solution was presented with sound arguments etct. and laws passed pretty fast, too. It certainly is a problem, but we are living in modern times at least in the developed world. There was only a need to make people conscious of the issue. Oh well social engineering is so common these days.

Looks like Japan succeeded in pressuring the Philippine to remove a "comfort women". Despite all Duterte's aggressiveness and down right stupid rhetoric on pretty much everything didn't even put up a fight. Figures
    https://japantoday.com/category/politics/update1-comfort-women-memorial-removed-from-manila-baywalk

Database migration problem leaves bank customers without online access for one week and counting...
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/apr/27/tsb-customers-vent-anger-it-meltdown-continues
    Imagine this could happen in a world without cash.
    The majority of shops and businesses in sweden no longer accept cash, which had been troubling to me at times and caused the EU to reply to people's concern. Swedish law doesn't forbid refusing to accept cash.
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 4/30/2018, 4:36 pm

We had a power outage here on Saturday but no-one knows what caused it still. The power went out between 3 and 4 but some other spots were out at 5.
    That was the excitement for now here.

Yeah, the whole issue of Comfort Women is still pretty raw in most countries that were occupied by
    Japan, I bet.I wonder if Duerte's allies in the Philippine government were the ones who told him to
    stop talking about it because of the need for Japanese aid.

How can you punish someone for wanting to pay with cash?

In the end though this would make the whole "Mark of the Beast" in Revelation sound rather logical,
    if not scary.
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 5/1/2018, 6:59 pm

I meant the shop can turn people away. The EU's stand is that cash is always valid.

Got a storm just this weekend but didn't last and nothing happened. Very Happy Tree are now nearly fully clothed. It's still fresh in the morning but I can feel the heat already.

"Mark of the Beast" heh, works is already underway or about going into effect to create unique ID's for people on the web. There are open source projects and governmental ones so it's too early to say which system will prevail or in any combination. But it's pretty much inevitable that one day we all will have a personal ID attached on the web. Everything we do is already recorded down to the millisecond e.g. on Amazon (when logged in). Now apply this to the use of an ID required every time you go online. We are slaves.
    Apropos, surprise surprise foreign trainees discovered working at fukushima.

Boeing is giving a fight for the race to Mars with SpaceX. NASA is as good as out of the game since the budged obviously is far from enough. Unless all other projects are cut to cover it. At this point it seems more show than actually happening. The only entities who could pull this off now are corporations. In this case, any colony would be owned by them. Dystopian scifi becoming reality...

Things in the middle east are escalating and obviously a new scheme has already been set off regarding Iran. Exciting times.

edit:

mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 5/2/2018, 1:29 pm

I hate to admit it but rooting for Boeing because of course it being in Everett,Washington.
    Means more money for the local economy and Washington State as a whole if they could get it.

Then again it might not be the Everett plant that gets the contract if they win, it might be one of the others in another State.

When I meant something like the "Mark of the Beast" was logical outcome of all the talk about a cashless society, I meant of course that something like that would have to be the end result unless you want to go back to a barter type of society.
    Though in the end such talk always sounds a bit paranoid.

Finally having some good Spring days here as well.
    Only one week left for Choir and then we're free for the Summer....

Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 5/2/2018, 8:11 pm

Well, I'm pretty sure the economy side is secured for either one. Boeing is not going to get killed off anytime soon. Only the amount of contracts or work will be different.

Frankly, imho barter type of trade isn't necessary off the table. Bitcoin and co. may be classified as risk or speculative types but it has barter potential in some back room. eMoney is new type of money with greater ease of use and quantify more things with ease. Somewhere in the back of my mind I see a sinister possibility of development.

Anyway,
    https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/05/why-you-shouldnt-freak-out-about-cdcs-insect-spread-disease-counts-tripling/
    Sounds like trying to convince me to forget the dangers so CDC budget can be cut (and open more business opportunities for corporations).
    It seems to me arstechnica not only has become a platform for advertisement but also for policy manipulation.
    Not long ago ars started an article about how n-power plants are vital for (CT) medicine disregarding a decade old fact that the very same could be produced cheaply with cyclotrons. And surprise soon later a series of campaign articles about saving n-power plants etc.
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 5/4/2018, 1:07 pm

I'm still not sure how Bitcoin works.

I had to phone in my prescription renewal today to Safeway pharmacy and they had a reminder about how you can get your shingles shot at Safeway.

I don't know if I need to get it done or not,should ask my doctor when I have my appointment this year.

Also I have my eye appointment and dentist both this month...

Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 5/5/2018, 4:38 am

I suppose you refer to its value so I will forgo bitcoin mining. Bitcoin is the premier cryptocurrency; there are hundreds others like it today and countries around the world are working more or less on a national one. I'm using it or the name as stand-in for them all. When you have bitcoins you can save it on your computer's "wallet" or in an online wallet/vault of a trading platform. Transactions are recorded via Blockchain which means every computer involved has a copy of the transaction, hence, nothing gets lost. Of course this comes with a huge management problem since all data has to be updated. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blockchain
    A Bitcoin Exchange is were the values are determined based on demand. In this sense it's very much like a stock exchange. Naturally if you don't exchange it for real money its real value doesn't matter. For people to strike gold they need more people interested or in need of it or simply more losers. Also don't forget the Exchanges require you to pay fees. As usual the "bank" always wins.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/05/drug-made-famous-by-shkrelis-5000-price-hike-is-still-750-a-pill/
    Nothing news and true for most products. But I suppose people finally realize one of the problems with the american healthcare system or imho economies in general. The power that be are too much in this country.
    btw. CDC is looking for a million volunteers in a 10 year long DNA health study nationwide. The study's goal is to monitor habits e.g. diet etc. and related health issues. Also it's most interested in non-white people participating.
    Whatever is the case I doubt it actually will benefit us commoners as much as advertised. I bet pharmacies are the true winners. I would be a lot happier if food control is upped more than a few notches and EPA standards at least on EU level. This would have immediate impact on health. EU citizens are healthier for a reason. Right now I'm enjoying the better food.
    https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/05/massive-e-coli-outbreak-linked-to-romaine-lettuce-turns-deadly/?comments=1
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 5/7/2018, 3:53 pm

A step in the right direction would be to do away with factory farms altogether as the animals there
    are always abused and mistreated and so you don't know what kind of diseases,etc. they pass on to
    the buyer.

I have to admit I really enjoyed Kampfer more than I thought I would. Akane going from
    normal sweet and loveable to Psycho in 0.00001 second flat was fun to watch! Though I wonder if
    Sakura was supposed to have been the new Kampfer when she gave the stuffed animal to Natsuru
    that she was given...

Timeless got 58% fan vote for Season 3.
    This week's episode they traveled to 1981. So the question is since they were in 1981,
    how could a laptop from 2018 work in 1981 when the tech hadn't been invented yet?
    I guess that's a question for all the present day weapons and tech they take back to the past.
    If the tech hasn't been invented yet then how can it possible work?
    Unless that's one of the paradoxes of time travel...
    Also...Cagney & Lacey? Rolling Eyes

Been to the dump today at last.Good thing didn't go on Saturday as per planned because they
    had it out to the roadway with people coming out to get their junk gotten rid of.
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 5/9/2018, 1:36 pm

Rain today so good thing got the lawn mowing done yesterday.Need to get more gas though.
    Should've done it when we went to the dump but no real place to put the gas tank.

Supergirl almost managed to defeat Reign but did defeat the other two,unfortunately
    now Reign has all the other two's powers has well.Also James trusts Lena too much.Any idiot would know that being a Luthor she probably does have Kryptonite in her vault.Just because her name
    isn't Lex doesn't mean there ain't no Kryptonite in the vault ( then again Bats has been known to
    hold on to a sample or two in his utility belt just in case..then again Bats is well known for his
    paranoia and has every contingency planned just in case the JLA turns rogue...).

The Flash well they made a deal with the she devil( not named Homura though.. Laughing )
    in order to find a way to stop Devoe.Also Caitlin learns that she doesn't need outside help to
    release Killer Frost. (It's really psychosomatic on her part really is what it comes down to).
    So Iris's idea about releasing the info on Devoe apparently worked.
    Also we get to see the rejects of the Council of Welleses...Didn't Marvel have a Council of Reeds
    at one point in the history of the Fantastic Four?

Had to lop off a part of my family tree on my Irish great grandfather's side because the line has given in Burke's is wrong.It turns out they were Yeoman farmers from Lancashire and not Gentry
    from Wales.Also the documentary evidence points to the fact that the ancestor whose line was in question was an orphan who was sent to study for the ministry at Cambridge by the Rector of one of the local churches in order "that he might help provide for his father(less) bretherin(sic) and
    sisters..."

mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 5/11/2018, 1:46 pm

Arrow as usual had the best episode for any of the CWs DC shows.The battle against
    Diaz continues.Though have you ever noticed when you really need a hack of the baddies computers
    it always seems to take longer than the other way around?
    Actually Diaz has been one of the best villains on any DC show this season that wasn't titled
    Gotham...

Gotham man Jerome continues to show that Jeremiah was a hack by comparison..

Found something exciting genealogy wise: it seems that there's a full warehouse of documents
    in the Tennessee State Archives concerning the Washington family of Wessyngton in Robertson co.
    One of the boxes has a file containing a letter about the genealogy of my great great grandmother
    and her sister.Also a box that contains files containing letters written by her brother and father.
    From a genealogical pov pretty much a jackpot! Very Happy

mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 5/14/2018, 3:35 pm

Pray for Indonesia after church bombings done by a family of six. The saddest part is that two of the
    bombers were sisters aged 12 and 9.
    Terrorism is irrational enough,but when children are involved it's also child abuse.

mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 5/16/2018, 1:25 pm

More pleasant things: I went to the eye doctor and will be getting a new prescription because
    of slight changes.
    I think it comes with the territory.
    Also got gas for the mower so was able to get the front lawn done before it got too hot today.

After yesterday's episode of Arpeggio of Blue Steel I'm glad that Takao was my favorite character even though she winds up sacrificing herself; I think that showed a lot of character growth for someone who starts out as just another Weapon of War.

Though you can say a lot for the main Fog characters,even Kongou,though for her in a negative way.

Now that I've seen the wills of my 5x and 4x Washington great grandfathers all I need to see
    is the letter about my great great grandmother's genealogy. It's the one thing that will link
    everything together in a nice bundle.
    The same archives as letters from my 3x great grandfather Clayton to his Washington brother-in-law
    in Tennessee as well as one from my great great grandmother's brother to their uncle(same man).

Evidently they took a YDNA test and found out that my branch of Washingtons isn't as closely
    connected to the President's branch as previously thought.There's a relationship there but
    centuries further back. It was something like just a bit over 40%.
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael on 5/18/2018, 4:42 am

You struck gold there with the letters congrats. These days the current generations don't and won't have or leave anything behind. The great email will last only so long until automatic clearing of old mails occurs.

Apropos email encryption is officially useless. But then I said so from the very beginning.
    It's kind of amusing to see how these visible as daylight revelations are reverberate through the populace/media. It's a scary proof of how easy social engineering is. The latest public research reveal how easy it is to takeover and influence the masses: https://arxiv.org/abs/1804.02608

The weather has been bad lately. But it seems to be clearing soon. I can already see the signs of coming summer. Lately I've been tired at the end of the day due to various activities and hadn't had the time to post here. Geez I still haven't been able to continue watching Sanada Maru. It's been what like two years? -_-

And yeah arstechnica has been silent about all the email revelations and latest 8 intel extreme critical vulnerabilities. Arstechnica is now very much a propaganda and advertising platform. The science section is still somewhat working. But I've seen some bias for the last 3 years. Which leaves a few left that are truly reliable.

mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 5/18/2018, 2:04 pm

Well I've been spending some time trying to look to see if I can find a copy of that letter on the internet but so far not much luck.
    I also re-read the will I mentioned earlier that mentioned another one of my ancestors,except
    this time when I looked at it I noticed there was an ellipses between the clause that talked about him and the one that talked about "his father(less) bretherin and sisters".
    So I might have conflated the two together thinking they were talking about the same person.
    Maybe they do or maybe they don't.Need to be careful of such things as a lot of errors result from
    not seeing a little thing like an ellipses.

Heroes And Icons are bringing back more gold nuggets from the '90s and early '00s this Summer with the likes of: JAG,The Relic Hunter,Beastmaster,Early Edition,and freakin' Nash Bridges! Cool
    Now if they could also bring back Seaquest and Lois & Clark.
    Meanwhile their sister network Metv is bringing back the original take no substitutes
    Charlie's Angels.

That got me to thinking about what would happen if someone came up with a network for
    older anime.
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 5/21/2018, 2:15 pm

Paid off my new glasses on the way home from the Post Office. I also got my copy of
    Matoi,The Sacred Slayer.
    I am seriously thinking that next year I should go from once a month to once every other month or so
    with my ordering.I also need to get more live action BDs.
    Speaking of live action our library now has the GITS live action movie on DVD. Need to check it out one of these days.

So Maduro got "re-elected" in Venezuela...is anyone really surprised since the entire Opposition there is basically banned from running against him and his goons.And so unless someone starts a coup to restore democracy in Venezuela a country that once was one of the riches in Latin America will
    continue to go down the tubes....

mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 5/23/2018, 1:34 pm

Supergirl still trying to find a way to defeat Reign and bring her human alter ego back.
    Since Ruby is half Kryptonian will she develop powers later on or is she simply human?How does that work?
    Also James is being black mailed once a cult learn he's Guardian.

The FlashBarry goes into De Vos mind and rescues Ralph together they battle Agent Smiths...er...De Vos clones(someone must've been maxing out on The Matrix when they wrote
    this arc)to get out.Bad guy bested and ex repents and decides to go back to what she was doing before she decided to take up villainy.
    Baby born and then Barry and Iris' future daughter shows up to tell everyone she needs her parents'
    help because she messed things up...

And ya wonder why Marvel has been doing a bit better these days...

In two weeks on Tuesday I start Beautiful Bones.

I also realize that after this year I have to cut down my ordering a bit to maybe once every other month.Then again I think I mentioned that before.

mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 5/25/2018, 1:26 pm

Memorial Day Monday.
    As someone who had relatives who fought for the Confederacy I wonder sometimes about other
    people who may have had ancestors or relatives who were on the opposite side,say who may have had ancestors or relatives who were Tories and fought for King George during the Revolution.
    It's not easy at times admitting your people were on what we think of as the wrong side of history.

Any ways just a thought as Memorial Day began as a way of remembering the Union vets of the Civil War.The South countered with their own Confederate Memorial Day,but I suppose these days the
    PC Police and SJW must've banned it by now.Shame as we need to remember all the brave men and women who gave their lives for our country.
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 5/28/2018, 1:14 pm

The Student Body President is now #2 after Akane in Kaempfer,should have mentioned that
    when I was talking about episode 4.

the ugly side of things: a man was arrested in Illinois for painting swastikas on graves he is also accused of doing the same on houses.

Just for fun: took a quiz about the Japanese names for animals and got 8/10. Very Happy
    At least I know the difference between a tora and a tori.

quiet today so far also hot.

mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover on 5/30/2018, 1:23 pm

We had a gardener come by to look at the lawn he said he can seed it and mow it for around
    $280.

Supergirl had a couple interesting surprises.For one it turns out her parents didn't die
    with the rest of Kyrpton as her dad came up with a way of protecting Argo City,but dies later on.
    Unfortunaley he dies trying to perfect it.The other surprise was one of the city Counselors was
    Tuvok..er..Tim Russ! Cool
    Everyone's second or third favorite Vulcan after Spock.
    Then of course it turns out that there's a traitor in the midst who worships the World Killer...

JAG starts today on Heroes & Icons,overall I think it was a bit better than it's spinoff
    series NCIS also Monday was Nash Bridges and Tuesday Early Edition.
    Now if they could please bring back Lois & Clark(Best Superman series ever!
    and Seaquest...

Seriously wondering how long that wedding in the UK is going to last.She seems to be more of a
    gold digger than anything else IMO.Another Wallis Simpson in the making?
    I think sooner or later someone is going to regret the marriage.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 10/23/2018, 9:51 am