Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.

Kin of the Stars

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Kin of the Stars

A community for the fans of Crest of the Stars, Abh culture, anime, technology, science fiction, video games, and friendly conduct.

3 posters

Fan Game for Crest of the Stars

TheQ29
    Recruite
    Recruite

Number of posts : 3
    Imperial Credits : 5155
    Registration date : 2017-03-11

Fan Game for Crest of the Stars Empty Fan Game for Crest of the Stars

Post by TheQ29 3/21/2017, 12:15 pm

Just a game I spent some time making for fun. It is a fan game based around the anime series's combat.
    The music and most art is from the anime, so I claim no credit for those.

here is a link to the game on Gamesalads' website:
    http://gsrca.de/140974

The game plays mostly as intended, but random glitches occur sometimes from loading.
    The quickest fix for a glitch is just reloading the scene (by just dying).
    If the game doesn't load at all, refreshing the page should work.

Hope you enjoy.
    Fan Game for Crest of the Stars Crest_of_the_Stars_preview
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 2849
    Imperial Credits : 18926
    Registration date : 2009-03-18

Fan Game for Crest of the Stars Empty Re: Fan Game for Crest of the Stars

Post by Almael 3/21/2017, 6:26 pm

Welcome to the forum!

Thank you for sharing.

The game works OK. So far I got to chapter/mission 2.
    I have a few problems and or suggestions.
    Having all the control buttons in one place forces the use of one hand or a few fingers.
    This is a bit trouble. If it's possible to switch to another button mapping I would like to use arrow keys. And having the rest for example on Z, X, C, V etc.
    I have to say drifting is problematic as it also seem that game is slow to respond. For this reason the screen becomes too small as the ship quickly drifts outside of view.

TheQ29
    Recruite
    Recruite

Post by TheQ29 3/22/2017, 10:29 am

Thanks for the warm welcoming.

I added a main menu button to all the levels in case you go off screen.
    I removed the delay of button pressing to actual movement.
    As for moments when drifting is a problem, the X key just stops all your movement.

There is no method I know of that can allow the user to map individual keys themselves.
    However, I did put in the ability to move using the arrow keys as well for now.

I can make a second control scheme though, that would be selected in the main menu.
    If you could maybe tell me specifically how you want the keys mapped, I'll add it to the game.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 3/22/2017, 11:45 am

If you could center the screen on the ship that is in control then screen size won't be a problem. I think Asteroid is like that

As for keyboard control I think most people use their 3 center fingers because they are dexterous and have good control over. The pinky finger is good, too, but less used. While the index finger being the most used.

I think tab, Q, E can be covered by pinky to middle fingers; and the index finger can cover R, F, T, G.

So alternatively I think Ctr, Z, X should be covered by pinky to middle fingers; and the index finger should be able to cover C, V, Space and maybe B. I think Q, E, R, F can be reached with a slight lag since you move your hand a bit to adjust.

The right hand is then exclusively used for movement control, hence, arrows. I think turning could be assigned to / and (right) Ctr coverd by the index finger.
    TheQ29
    Recruite
    Recruite

Post by TheQ29 3/22/2017, 5:58 pm

As for having the camera follow the ship, the game really is programmed around a stationary screen.
    It would be very time consuming to change everything around that.

However, I am more than happy to make changes to I guess "balancing" and controls.

I just updated the game to let you chose between 2 control schemes.
    Clicking the second control box, changes and shows the new controls.
    Quick note, Gamesalad doesn't allow ctrl or shift to be used for key presses.
    So I went with 0 and 2 on the number pad for rotation, 1 still spawns mines. This may work as you wanted.
    I also had that control scheme use A and G for rotation as well just in case.

I don't have any plans currently to add more challenges/levels.
    However, I do want to try making a 3-D version in unity.
    I don't think I have the time though, and I currently have zero experience with unity.

Thanks for your input thus far.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 3/26/2017, 3:28 pm

Thank you for making the changes.

From past projects I now 3D requires a lot of work so if you ever tackle it you better have everything planned ahead. Like most software projects the actual "programming" side is pretty forward. The design and planning is where it counts. Botched them and you are in for lots of trouble along the way.

As for the engine you should carefully choose it. A lot of work will depend on it and once you commit it's hard to change. Choose one that is likely to remain in use (compatibility to current preferred) and still offer future use/expansion/development. From the Space Engineers game I see them moving forward without regard to users using older (up to 5 years) computers which imho will always be the majority. With the latest updates most can't play anymore. Imho it was stupid to increase 3D details (that no one looks at most of the time anyway), yet, not fixing the fundamental problems all these years.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 3/29/2017, 2:44 pm

The new control settings work like a charm.

Now to some ideas/suggestions which may not be realistic.

In Star Trek Command/Starfleet Battle it's possible to boost turning momentarily in exchange for some hull damage. It's viable with Star Trek's structural integrity field (SIF). In the Seikai universe ships with gravity control should be able to do to some extend, too.

Laying mines. It may not have such tactical uses as the game is an arcade but I think able to lay simpler mines at higher frequency has it uses still.
    dusanyu
    Recruite
    Recruite

Imperial Credits : 8907
    Registration date : 2012-01-20

Post by dusanyu 4/6/2018, 1:33 pm

I suppose it is best played with a crew and doing so could make it an MMO. Sent you some ideas. What language is it written in?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 3/29/2024, 1:01 am