Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.

Kin of the Stars

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Kin of the Stars

A community for the fans of Crest of the Stars, Abh culture, anime, technology, science fiction, video games, and friendly conduct.

+4
mitsuki lover
Verethragna
AlexT
Cloudji
8 posters

Random Thought

mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 4168
    Imperial Credits : 17782
    Registration date : 2009-04-10

Random Thought - Page 2 Empty Re: Random Thought

Post by mitsuki lover 4/4/2014, 1:54 pm

Yup.And he got the gun from the same gun shop as the previous shooter.
    I think some people are going to try to pass more gun control now because of it.Though the fact of the matter is the store both times complied with the law,so it wasn't something that they can be blamed for.
    I think in both cases the ultimate fault lies with the Army for not heeding any warning signs.That and as has been stated over and over again by
    Conservative pundits the entire silly policy of not allowing officers and soldiers to carry firearms while on base.
    In the case of the last shooter he seems to have been totally bonkers.

Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 2849
    Imperial Credits : 18924
    Registration date : 2009-03-18

Post by Almael 4/5/2014, 1:36 pm

There's been some enthusiast talk about a skydiver nearly being hit by a meteorite.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/space/10742854/Meteorite-narrowly-misses-Norwegian-skydiver.html
    Well, just looking at the pics it's no way a meteorite.
    For one it's too slow. Even at the low speed end of 50000 kph it would cover more than half a kilometer in a single video frame. For a human it's already in and out of sight within that frame. Not to mention it's not burning or there's no sonic boom/pressure. Even if it doesn't hit you won't get away unscratched that easily.
    It probably is not even space junk returning to earth. Space junk would be only 22% slower. Not much difference.

The LCS proved to be a failure on pretty much all levels. Only the concept is any worth. The reason being not only organization & planning and technology (e.g. quality) but more than that there's no frame work at all. Looks like people who have been saying all along to just purchase european alternatives were right. Although, those ships do not quite have the same role they do perform the tasks better according to latest LCS reports.

Looks like the chinese are still using the MH370 incident to make propaganda, pressure the other nations and gather more intelligence.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 4/7/2014, 1:42 pm

Wouldn't be too surprising if they were using the incident for covert spying.Then again the U.S. does the same sort of thing as well.All part of the game.

So bit of unrest in Eastern Ukraine.I wonder how much of it was started by Russian agents.
    OTOH there is also likelihood of Ukraine using it's own agents to blame the Russians on some of the
    violence.
    If I were really paranoid I would say that it was a bit of both.
    I think at this point both sides are willing to do anything to blame the other.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 4/9/2014, 7:20 am

Well, it seems the active ones are the same and came from Cremia in their words: "to support their brothers etc". Pedestrians say these are in the minority but imho it all depends on the local government and their "voting". It shouldn't be underestimated.

The pistorius case has been coming up a lot recently. He didn't show much of a miserable appearance last year and now he suddenly breaks out in tears and vomits.
    Hmm, is that normal or some medication? I mean people usually fall unconscious at most. *shrugs*

mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 4/9/2014, 1:42 pm

I think that Pistorius is definitely guilty,he's trying to do an O.J.so people will feel sorry for him.But
    unlike O.J. he's not doing a good job of it.At least when he was arrested O.J. showed some real emotion.

AFAIG with Ukraine, it's interesting that the American security firm Greystone has acknowledged having
    operatives helping the Ukraine military and police now.Though they're dressed up in Ukrainian uniforms.

Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 4/10/2014, 11:16 am

My thoughts, too. No matter what kind of scenario, it's just too unlikely more so when you got a gun, and are obviously well accustomed to shooting, and even show-off how well you can shoot at x00 m distances. Even then, after the first shot you hear her voice and keep shooting... This guy is guilty and ebil.

Well, of course it's a "private" firm not endorsed by the government. So it's fine. Just let Air America, USAID etc. do it.
    Russia is building up the troops at the border despite agreeing to retreat just weeks ago. And since foreign investments are transferring their account assets out. Putin has nothing to lose. It's 50/50 chance he will just do it.

mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 4/11/2014, 2:00 pm

And we shall see Mr.Redline Obama probably say something on the lines that if they do then they better not or else we might do something really seriousWink 

Putin is probably going to ignore whatever Obama says as he doesn't take him seriously.

Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 4/13/2014, 2:44 pm

Looks like it's getting serious by the day. There's already some firefights with casualities. With about 50000+ troops the minimum requirement for invasion have already been met. Now's the time to draw the best card to prevent an escalation but I doubt anything will do.

On monday, one of the pope's order brother was executed, I wonder if that's why he came forward with the apology for abuses.

Nowaday, a lot of french citizen of jewish origin are emigrating to israel while others move to other countries like germany. The reason being that violence against certain people have been doubled every year for the past 5 years in France. Not that it's so much different in the other european countries... Of cause they have a hard time since they are themselves foreigner in their own people's countries.

While looking for some technicalities I ran across this gun-site operated by some experts it seems.
    http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/10/foghorn/gun-review-utas-uts-15-shotgun/p1310256/
    Notice this particular turkish shot gun?
    Yes, it's the bad ass gun we got to get a good look in Continuum's 3rd season. According to the article, it's been around for some years but never worked. It took a year to redesign it before selling the new version last year about when Continuum started. That's what I call early adopters! But this kind of shot gun in the hands of civilians imho it's bad news.
    http://912warroom.com/2011/04/atf-seeks-to-side-step-scotus-decision-outlaw-certain-shot-guns/

mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 4/14/2014, 1:52 pm

I find it ironic that Jews are now moving into Germany.

So far all the Russians are doing are sitting on their side of the border so there really isn't anything anyone can do.As long as Putin keeps his troops on the Russian side they're within their legal rights.
    It's like President Obama ordering troops to the Mexican border,all Mexico could do would be complain.
    Unless the Russians actually either enter or fire into Ukrainian territory no-one can do a thing.

Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 4/15/2014, 2:46 pm

Well, the german governments always find itself obliged to repair or avoid remind people of the nazi past. So anything regarding jews is a hot topic (it doesn't apply to others). Then again the issue with the recently "discovered" stolen art works...these were returned to their current "owner" because there's no lawful reason they are not his.

Putin wins either way. If the Ukraine uses force to bring down the separatists Putin is obliged to intervene the bloodbath. If the unrest continues he's obliged to bring order.  Ah, politics...  And now the government wants a country wide referendum. The country as a whole would work out for them but I don't think it will work out that easily.

In the latest continuum episode they used a combination of a Seburo suubmachine gun from GITS. Random Thought - Page 2 Image106

Btw. Looks like the cased telescoped ammunition will become standard in the near future.
    http://www.guns.com/2013/08/09/aai-land-2-million-dod-contract-for-lightweight-lsat-cased-telescoped-ammo-project/
    But strangely I also heard it (LSAT) was canceled in order to research for a new common projectile. In layman speech: the army is searching for a new caliber design. Obviously, they realized the fixed ammo limitation of "caseless"-like ammo. But at this point everything's been researched so I don't quite see the point of restarting a search for a new caliber. At the lower end we got the G11 to P90 ammo as the most efficient solution; in the middle we got .223-.3 Remington; and the battle round on the higher end. IF it's about aerodynamic they could just go for the korean design (Korea Nuclear Engineering Co. LTD ((주)한국원자력 엔지니어링)
    Random Thought - Page 2 US08485100-20130716-D00000
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 4/16/2014, 1:49 pm

So do you think the creators of Continuum might be big GITS fans?

I think the problem with Ukraine is that Putin is showing how skillful he is at using Realpolitik and acting pragmatic whilst the West is stuck in the mud spinning it's wheels in circles.Kerry certainly is no Kissinger when it comes down to it.

Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 4/17/2014, 6:54 am

Dunno, it's not the first time things from Gits/Appleseed got taken up by some TV show/movie either. I saw some professional(armorer/seller) in the trade thinking "Seburo" is a real world maker's name. I couldn't hold back laughing reading that statement. In the age of the internet how lazy can people be not to check this by the push of a button. Really. Imho of all weapons design the Star Trek ergonomic rifle design is most influential, but it's based on the sniper rifle from Sol Bianca. ;)Then again Star Trek (TNG & following series) is pretty full of anime related stuff.

Yeah, it's a weakness of democracy. I could go one about this forever but better not.
    Since Putin already declared that it's a civil war his next move is not far away. If he were of some other western nation we would know nothing will happen, but it's Putin.
    Edit: Putin just said on TV the federation council gave him the right to use troops in the Ukraine.

Still nothing about what happen with the korean ferry. Obviously the passengers were not informed in time, hence, could not move to more escape-strategic places. Sadly, it's kind of typical for maritime accidents.
    Edit: Looks like another "job/responsibility" abandoning case. My guess is the captain just made sure his survival rate was high without all the random passengers around. 28 of 30 crew members were rescued and obviously with dry feet. The poor guys were probably in the machine room. According to water temperature, there's no hope after 90 minutes. A whole high school grade of a region lost. *shivers*
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 4/18/2014, 1:22 pm

And then the principle of the school who was one of the first rescued went and hung himself.
    So sad.

On the lighter side of the news:

1.In New Jersey a 6 year old German Sheperd was given jury duty!

2.In Florida a judge and jury couldn't stop laughing when a man
    accused of illegal possession of Xanax gave them his legal name.
    His surname?:Cocaine!
    His explanation:his great-grandparents had come over from Greece in the 1920s and that is what they had legally changed their name to!

3.Finally from the Twins fanblog on SBNation Twinkie Town:
    A minor leaguer was traded from the Cleveland Indians to the San
    Diego Padres,where he was assigned to their El Paso,Texas AAA team.
    As a gag his new teammates told him that one of their starting pitchers was completely deaf.This went on not just for a couple days or weeks but for an entire month!The funny thing is that the guy believed it totally...even though there were hints that it wasn't true! cheers  lol!  lol!  lol!  lol! 

Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 4/20/2014, 12:08 pm

Yeah. Maritime business is still dangerous. If I remember right every week two ships are lost nowaday (world wide). And the Sewol is the 100th passenger ship lost since 2002.

Things are still heating up in the Ukraine. Nato officially decided to get serious and plans to deploy more. Politics is pushing the issue onto the "planning stage" for deployment. Well, the only NATO forces at hand are the former eastern block countries. Although, the forces are more numerous than needed number-wise they are by no means apt for the crisis. The Nato Response Force, the most needed now, is in shamble or in a chaotic state due to numerous restructurings. I don't think there's much to be expected.

lol! 
    Seriously, there's no end to mysteries.  lol! 
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 4/21/2014, 2:00 pm

Yep.

I think most Americans are tired of sending our troops to other countries.Don't think sending troops to Ukraine even as part of a NATO or UN force would be popular.The same reason why Obama backed down from sending any to Syria.We are war weary people at the moment.It's about time we got to thinking about protecting our own borders and not worry about other countries.

And yeah,most Americans would be shocked to realize that we do actually have a border with Russia,it's on the Bering Sea,the two mile border between Little Diomede,Alaska and Big Diomede,Siberia.But then for most it is so far away that it might as not exist.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 4/23/2014, 6:48 am

True. Then again border defense isn't really an issue but rather border control/customs. The (North) American continent is pretty much "safe" from the trouble rest. Apropos, the alaskan air services often cross borders for their delivery in part due to border lines and curvature of the earth. So it's a regular Close Encounters of the Zero Kind. Laughing
    If we go by the numbers the French and British are still top when number of countries in which troops are deployed are counted. And it seems the German are the fourth.
    Anyway, we are relying on the eastern Nato members who are on "good" terms or are trying to reestablish relations with russia now. Putin is just buying time to get Cremia ordered, get accepted before moving on. It's still not certain what he will do, though.

Mystery of 'ocean quack sound' solved
    http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-27117669
    It's Antarctic minke whales. I could have guessed that much. Even though we got records of over ~70 years only in "recent years" have whale languages been deciphered (thanks to computers).

Brazil is debating about the net again. Not that they or anyone could do anything. It's impossible as communication requires some protocol and relying packets through hubs/nodes. In any case an address(metadata) is always necessary.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 4/23/2014, 1:42 pm

I don't know if language would be the correct word,rather communication would be better.Of course the argument could be made that the whales like other animal species have their own peculiar accents and dialects depending on geography and what pod they belong to;not to mention grammar.etc.

Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 4/24/2014, 2:44 pm

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/05/110512104252.htm
    Well, I'm not sure if they got semantics but they got all the basics like names, simple words.

Enter the Volocopter
    http://www.e-volo.com/
    A new ... subclass of helicopters soon to be allowed to be piloted by metropolitans (with a "simple" license). It's "cheap", probably not much maintenance needed, and "safer" but not very economic. Imho this might be the real successful "flying car" of the future. Well, it needs a lot more parking space, though.

As expected Putin is "forced" to act soon. He definitely follows the script. AFAIK there should be a new bridge being build on the other side of Cremia soon to be completed (like in a month). Maybe that's one reason to delay things a bit.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 4/25/2014, 3:31 pm

I keep thinking how ridiculous Kerry sounded trying to impress the rest of the world about how tough
    the U.S. was going to be by adding more sanctions to Russia,and in the mean-time the Separatists
    and Nationalists aren't backing down.

I think someone should gift the Obama Adminstration with Pat Buchanan's Book:A Republic Not An Empiregood reading.

Well hurry up with the 'flying cars' already Captain Sisko is getting impatient! Laughing 
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 4/27/2014, 2:11 pm

I prefer the flying time-travelling car but this isn't bad either. Laughing

Britain is "post-christian"
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-27177265
    I think they meant they left the christian age behind as they advanced...
    (but they still sing "god saves the king/queen")

Surprise Boeing introduces the Phantom Badger
    http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20140422-phantom-badger-reports-for-duty
    It's back to the roots of the original jeep of WWII. Finally some other sound design.
    But I'm still for the Search and rescue STORM.

I think blaming the rescue/search work like in the recent aircraft/ship disaster is a bit unfair. I know people are in denial and all, and there certainly are reasons for critics but all this storm is excessive. In the case of the aircraft there's simple nothing that can be done after so such time had past. As to the ship, the response time is certainly bad. Rescue helicopters on standby can in practice take off within 3 min of the call (that's a better than military alarm readiness) but they arrived 1.5 hours later! o.O But the diving operation is another matter. Diving aside as ship is the most dangerous situation, diver just can't take too much risk.

but the diver operation is another matter
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 4/28/2014, 1:59 pm

Well it looks like the new commissioner of the NBA has his first crisis with the owner of the Clippers apparently turning out to be a racist jerk and making the stupidest comments about blacks since Jimmy 'The Greek'.

Two WTF articles today one in the local paper and another from
    Breitbart:

From the Spokesman Review's sports page:
    a San Francisco Forty Niner fan from Las Vegas is suing the NFL for
    $50 million because he claims he wasn't able to get a ticket for the
    NFC Championship Game in Seattle because ticket policy of the NFL
    favored Seahawks fans from the Pacific Northwest,Hawaii,Alaska,
    British Columbia and Alberta over Niners fans from out of that geographic area.He's asking for $40 million in real damages and an additional $10 million in punitive damages.

From Breitbart:
    A woman ran over and killed a 17 year old boy while she was speeding.
    She now intends to sue the dead boy and his parents and step-parents
    for 'emotional trauma' that the accident caused her.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil 
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 4/30/2014, 12:53 pm

The biggest discovery in research related to mice & co.! Mice fear men, as in male humans (but they love females) Laughing
    http://arstechnica.com/science/2014/04/mice-get-stressed-out-feel-less-pain-when-male-lab-workers-are-present/
    After decades of research with mice we finally discovered this important fact that skews research results.

Aluminum can cause and escalate breast cancer disease by making them move around(form metastases).
    http://www.collective-evolution.com/2013/09/14/attention-deodorant-users-new-studies-link-aluminum-to-breast-cancer/
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16045991
    This is surprising since we don't know much about its toxity.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 4/30/2014, 1:42 pm

On another note research has also found that mice fear cats! Laughing 
    Seriously though I wonder how much time they took to learn that obvious fact.

Well Commissioner Silver actually did what a lot of people were hoping he do and basically excommunicated Sterling from the NBA,or what could be close to called being excommunicated in pro
    sports.Not only was Sterling given the utmost limit in fines but he will be forced to sell the Clippers,and he is forbidden to attend any Clippers games or any further association with either the team or the NBA.
    It looks like the majority of owners will agree to the sale of the team:already 16 ownership groups have indicated they will vote yes on the sale.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 5/1/2014, 1:18 pm

Yeah, he got it coming and of course all his "rivals" would vote to ban him. It would have been surprising otherwise.

So, now the Ukraine has reinstated a draft for the army.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-27247428
    I don't see it saying anything about age or age limits for the draft. I doubt it will do any good but it probably can't be worse.
    Are you affected by it, Alex?

Disney revealed the cast for Star Wars VII:
    http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-27221191
    Other than Ford I don't see any of the old cast being fit for it. Then again with today's CGI it shouldn't be a problem to cheat.

And NASA has revealed the winner of the look contest for the Z-2 spacesuit.
    http://jscfeatures.jsc.nasa.gov/z2/
    The "technology" look won.  Very Happy  Perhaps because it looks superficial similar to a certain game's suit (Half Life)?
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 5/2/2014, 2:37 pm

come to think of it we haven't heard from him for some time.

I re-read a book this week entitled The Bad Popes it's about seven of the worse popes in the history of the papacy.Clement VII seems to have been more weak and vacillating than bad.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 3/28/2024, 10:54 am