Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.

Kin of the Stars

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Kin of the Stars

A community for the fans of Crest of the Stars, Abh culture, anime, technology, science fiction, video games, and friendly conduct.

2 posters

movie reviews

mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 4168
    Imperial Credits : 17782
    Registration date : 2009-04-10

movie reviews - Page 2 Empty Re: movie reviews

Post by mitsuki lover 9/20/2013, 1:16 pm

Can't beat what really happened though.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 2849
    Imperial Credits : 18924
    Registration date : 2009-03-18

Post by Almael 12/17/2013, 1:17 pm

Looks like next year is another year of Rambo!
    First there's the Rambo FPS game. Well, I think it's too late now. IMHO Should have been made when Half Life1 came out.
    Then there's Rambo V being filmed. Okay, it's a bit unfair for him to massacre hundreds of cartel people. After all these guys don't have tanks or gunships, although I guess some cartel subs may be worth the swim. Laughing
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 3/7/2014, 3:08 pm

*BUMP*

On Tuesday I asked our church secretary if she had seen the Son of God movie and she said yes,and also said if you saw The Bible on History Channel it was basically pretty much it.
    Having seen parts of The Bible my overall reaction was pretty much  Rolling Eyes 
    as I thought though it was good in parts it was pretty much *MEH* overall.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 3/7/2014, 3:13 pm

Thanks for the info and warning. I guess I will have the same experience but I will take a look nonetheless.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 3/10/2014, 2:12 pm

Well I didn't go but asked about it so it's only from hearsay.I think it's rather hard to make a really good Bible based movie though especially one based on the Gospels.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 6/8/2014, 7:41 am

The Edge of Tomorrow
    A movie based on "All you need is kill".

I never though it would become a movie but I'm glad it did.
    I didn't intend to watch it so soon but couldn't stay away. I got lucky coming early (but late showing) and getting a seat despite the theater being quite full. I'm still tired and my neck hurts from sitting so close to the screen.
    So here's my review summary with my recap on the movie, novel and manga. Yes, the manga hasn't been completely translated but I already finished the japanese up to the end which is chapter 17 btw.
    My memory isn't perfect so I may miss some things. I'm relying on my observation skillz.

The movie is a better Tom Cruise movie but it's not on the level of Starship Troopers, mostly because of less humor and not having the parodied-streak.

******** SPOILER ALERT *************

short summary:
    Spoiler:

Differences:
    Spoiler:

other general critics & thoughts:
    Spoiler:
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 6/9/2014, 1:46 pm

Not having seen Muv Luv could you explain what you mean there?
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 6/9/2014, 6:38 pm

In "Muv Luv" the aliens are actually carbon-based biological "robots" created by silicon-based lifeforms. They are send to mine planets in order to create an essential mineral which enables advanced space faring civilizations. (It's similar to element Energia from some 60's/70's scifi novel.)  They recycle everything including biomatter.

In "All you need is kill" the origins of the aliens are unknown. However, according to Ritas' research & findings the aliens appear to convert (terraform) the land under their control. It is not quite clear yet whether it's really terraforming or some form of mining. It's only certain that they are after resources.

So the similarities are the invasion, their resource mining, and more or less the war.

Btw. there's a shot with some of Rita's guys wearing helmets with a skull motive that reminded me of Battletech's Atlas.
    movie reviews - Page 2 2320L
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 6/11/2014, 1:52 pm

thanks.

Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 7/29/2014, 2:34 pm

Godzilla (2014)
    Well, it's an action driven movie. If this is your preference then it's ok.
    It's at its best with the veteran actors only. But anything else is down right bad. The hero has no presence, no personality. And Godzilla only serves as filler between the human actions. The movies is more like an advertisement for the military. It's full of laymen misconceptions, other military incompetence. It may look like the classic japanese Godzilla movies but it's not. The military deploymen may look the same but downright incompetence...putting tanks on a bridge, gathering the fleet in a bay, fighter aircrafts falling from the sky due to EMP. Do they realize nuke rated carrying fighters are actually immune to EMP? Pft. Not to mention soldiers using flashlights and open fire (to draw the monsters) while civilians are around... The original japanese Godzilla/NGE anime-esque are more competent here.

Compared to another movie like Lockout (2012) which got not so good reviews. Lockout is way better than this movie. It's character driven and imho more entertaining even if the story isn't better.

ExtinctExtant
    The show is like a horror movie. Imho Halle Berry is too good for this show.

mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 7/30/2014, 1:37 pm

So basically the new Godzilla is so/so.
    Of course the movie makers are incompetent when it comes to the military parts,if they knew what they were actually doing it would be a rather short movie.That and they wouldn't be able to have those
    cool SFX of planes falling from the sky and tanks from the bridges.It's all about the SFX and not about
    the plot in any case. drunken 

I'm not even sure about what Extant is supposed to be about other than a female astronaut
    who comes home pregnant after being in space by herself.And there seems to be some sort of government conspiracy(tm).And that's from just watching the commercials on tv.
    Though I bet in the end they'll end up doing something on the lines of the end of Life On Mars
    where it's all in her mind or something.Just feels like it end that way.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 8/2/2014, 2:10 pm

You may be right if it was a movie but Extant is a show so:
    imho we got two plots
    one is about the humanics
    and the other is about the "aliens"
    Conjecture:
    Obviously Ethan is going to develop some hate against humans. He's going to do something bad and may end up joining the aliens in getting humans extinct.
    The people trying to control the alien power will fail/unleash the catastrophe by using the hybrid baby. So the plot twist is probably the aliens are actually good guys. Heh.
    Well, it's not that attractive a show but I'm curious enough; let's see.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 8/6/2014, 1:27 pm

Well from the commercials they show I wouldn't be too surprised if you're right about the aliens being the good guys.Looks like typical Government as bad guy show.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 9/9/2014, 2:25 pm

I was expecting the show to finally split and reveal the plots real form but last episode was disappointing. IT looks like it's now moving toward a cliche plot. Nothing special.

Now back to the topic.

Expendables 3
    Really good compared to the previous ones but still lacking here and there. Looks like Stallone is still able to write good roles for Snipes, as he gets to act out better than his regular movies except "Demolision man" Wink I thought the first female Merc gets a special role but that wasn't the case.

Lucy
    Well, nerdy stuff and actions but don't expect anything beyond the pseudo "theretical". It's nice to watch but it's not really that worthy.

mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 9/10/2014, 1:15 pm

Lucy always made me think of Elfen Lied whenever I watched the trailer on tv.Yeah,it's basically because of the name.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 9/11/2014, 9:00 am

Forgot to mention as Lucy "time travels back" passing the dinosaurs (yes, they were created after man) she meet the first human ape. Lucy stretches out her index finger and both touch each other at the finger tips. Man was created in the image of Lucy! so henceforth, mankind should be called womankind! Laughing
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 9/12/2014, 2:29 pm

Laughing
    So in other words Lucy is God in a way?

Sounds like they wanted the ending to have a 2001ish look to it.Or is she also responsible for the
    Black Obelisks?(kidding)

And in the paper today I read where the 40th anniversary of Young Frankenstein will be out on
    Bluray.According to the article Mel Brooks wanted the movie to be a homage not only to the classic
    Boris Karloff movies but also to Mary Shelley's novel.Actually it was Gene Wilder's brain child as he
    came up with it during the filming of Blazing Saddles,though it said that both Brooks and Wilder worked on it.
    The bit with the monster and Frankenstein doing 'Puttin' On The Ritz' in top hat and tuxedo
    was Wilder's idea.
    Brooks nearly nixed it but Wilder was too persistent and so we got that iconic moment. Cool
    And btw:they showed an picture of Mel Brooks after he put his hands in cement for his star and
    he actually has six figures on his left hand.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 9/12/2014, 5:58 pm

In the end Lucy says she's everywhere (almighty).
    2001 got a better orchestra Razz

Don't remember the last time I saw a Brooks movie so I'm quite interested.
    Now I wanna see that for sure. Very Happy
    Eleven fingers, the stunt is so like him. bounce
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 9/15/2014, 2:20 pm

I've seen:Blazing Saddles,Robin Hood:Men In Tights and Young Frankenstein.
    I don't know but I think I might have also seen The Producerswas the original the one that
    starred Jack Benny?
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 12/1/2014, 2:57 pm

*Bump*

Fox News Channel panel show The Five ran a clip of the new Star Wars movie last week.
    My initial reaction was the actor playing the Storm Trooper reminded me too much of Gus from
    Psych in a really bad dream sequence.My next reaction was the entire clip made me think of a really terrible SNL skit.I hope it's better than my reactions,but we have until next December to
    find out.So far I just feel 'Meh'.Or maybe because I'm more of a Trekker...
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 12/2/2014, 3:25 pm

Who cares! Razz

The SW fans are too anxious and hyping themselves up. They will probably be disappointed over nothing.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 12/3/2014, 2:29 pm

HEHEHEH!

btw:Over at Twitchy they had some of William Shatner's tweets after he saw the trailer.They're really
    funny.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 12/27/2015, 3:05 pm

Since the drive for more Star Trek: Renegades episodes has ended
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/145553614/star-trek-renegades-episodes-2-and-3

movie reviews - Page 2 Ea_str_4-198x300

movie reviews - Page 2 Ea_str_1-300x169

WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD!
    WARNING: Full episode streaming from Thee channel!

Choose to watch or read review first.

Star Trek: Renegades Episode 1: 1h 28 min = 88 min

Synopsis:
    10 years after USS Voyager's return, major dilithium supplying planets are disappearing due to space-time distortions set up by someone.
    Chekov, chief of Starfleet Intelligence, orders Tuvok to deal with the problem since the UFP council won't budge. Tuvok, who re-created Section 31, sends a group of outcast, criminals etc. on a mission to assassinate the enemy leader.

Review:
    It's so-so. There's a bunch of problems in all areas. It's only thanks to our favorite actors that it doesn't quite seem so bad. The story and plot isn't new and is more like a collection of existing ST novels.
    The content is rather simple like your regular B movies.
    Just take the briefing for the "heist" like infiltration attack. It can't be more simple and or brainless. The hologram is worse than numerous work of a certain Trekkie media student's.
    Or the fact that gates can only open of two gate devices on both ends are active. Yet, one gate could transport the order!
    Directing is probably one of the problems. And probably there aren't good advisers, too. For example when Ronara's phaser pistol stopped working she slaps hit it a few time trying to make it work again. Phasers are not mechanical machinery but are solid state stuff like a computer chip. Hitting won't necessary damage it but certainly won't make it work again when it's broken.
    The actions are somewhat not well timed (from actors or badly cut). So are the shots or cut scenes. Actually, imho there are too many close up shots where there should have been more wider shots. Most of them are probably due to time and money shortage.
    For a fan production it's good but could be better.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 12/29/2015, 2:32 pm

Going to have to ask an obvious question here since I haven't heard of this project: but is this a
    Internet Series?

Yeah, I have to admit I never heard of it before.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 12/29/2015, 6:35 pm

Yes and no.
    As you have seen they have their own "channel" on youtube where they post the show. However, fans can purchase DVDs, posters and other stuff they sale at
    http://www.startrekrenegades.com/
    It's been shown at certain theaters. They also show it at Trek conventions. (usually there's is some fan showing)

Before this they did:

Star Trek: Of Gods and Men

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 3/28/2024, 4:06 pm