Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Kin of the Stars

Please sign in to post.

Kin of the Stars

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Kin of the Stars

A community for the fans of Crest of the Stars, Abh culture, anime, technology, science fiction, video games, and friendly conduct.

3 posters

Reading Recommendations for 2010

mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 4168
    Imperial Credits : 17782
    Registration date : 2009-04-10

Reading Recommendations for 2010 Empty Reading Recommendations for 2010

Post by mitsuki lover 12/2/2009, 12:30 pm

So I'm looking for some good reading recommendations for the coming year.It could be book,manga or comic book for that matter.
    Just so it's interesting and fun to read is the point.
    The type of fiction I enjoy:
    Sci Fi
    Fantasy
    Horror
    Mystery
    Western
    I perfer it to have a bit of humor and for a book that it not be too longish.About 200-450 would be a good limit.I can't last over 500plus pages too long.
    Also needs to be fairly readable and for a series not too long or else something that you can dip into every now and again without having to read the entire series to get the gist of what is happening.
    Also something that you don't need to use the enclyopedia to read every fifth word. Reading Recommendations for 2010 Icon_scratch
    Multi-genre types are ok(like Dresden Files,Horror+Mystery)
    thanks. Reading Recommendations for 2010 Icon_flower
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Number of posts : 2849
    Imperial Credits : 18924
    Registration date : 2009-03-18

Reading Recommendations for 2010 Empty Re: Reading Recommendations for 2010

Post by Almael 12/2/2009, 2:53 pm

I guess no Baronh, japanese, korean, chinese, dannish, french, russian, german, spanish etc...plus under 300 pages, hmm, this means regular or short novels...

Well, I would have pointed to a 'Honor Herrington' novel by David Weber (scheduled for years for 2010)
    'Armor' by John Steakley
    'ARM' by Larry Niven
    'The Custodians' by Richard Cowper
    'Till We Have Faces' by C. S. Lewis

[maybe more to be listed]
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 12/7/2009, 3:05 pm

I already have Til We Have Faces and read that.Haven't read the Honor Harrington novels though so might take a look into them.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 12/8/2009, 4:05 pm

The only bad thing about the honor stories is that they are very similar to known past history rewritten...just like 'Til We Have Faces'.
    Anyway, if you just want to snoop around for free you can try the Gutenberg project. There's tons of works.
    I dunno about any other good new novels, but AlexT seemed to have read some newer ones.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 12/14/2009, 3:16 pm

I looked for some of the Honor Harrington books today whilst in the library but they had only one book by the same author but it wasn't one of them.I also looked up "Honor Harrington" on Wikie yesterday.Sounds interesting.
    I'm still wondering about reading THE DRESDEN FILES.
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 12/14/2009, 6:48 pm

Reading Recommendations for 2010 Icon_lol
    The good ones are always out, you have to reserve them if you want to use the library.
    The shelves in those sections are mostly half full, at least I never saw them full.

Dresden files ...I dunno, the author is young and new. He will have to be really good at writing and coming up with ideas to pass for me. As I see it now it's probably similary to Buffy and X-files.
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Number of posts : 542
    Imperial Credits : 12400

Post by AlexT 12/16/2009, 6:48 am

Almael wrote:I dunno about any other good new novels, but AlexT seemed to have read some newer ones.
    Recently i didn't read much at all except for trying to finish those 2 remainind Warhammer 40k books i have and thankfully the one i reading now is pretty good.

My main "reading time " is summer - it's when there's less games/movies Smile

Mitsuki, maybe you should try Almael's last story in progress? I think he's about to get to horror part soon... Reading Recommendations for 2010 Icon_biggrin
    Good idea btw. - a horror seikai fic would be something interesting Smile
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 12/16/2009, 7:54 am

Well, I would call it some bad bad experience, but mitsuki asked for books.
    Somehow mitsuki landed on the paranormal/mystics genre .... I don't think I can serve here.
    AlexT
    AlexT
    Kilo-commander
    Kilo-commander

Number of posts : 542
    Imperial Credits : 12400

Post by AlexT 12/17/2009, 7:26 am

Almael wrote:Well, I would call it some bad bad experience, but mitsuki asked for books.
    Somehow mitsuki landed on the paranormal/mystics genre .... I don't think I can serve here.
    You don't like this type of things in books? I'm no fan of paranormal/mystical myself, but i do like it when it's closer to sci-fi. If you watched Pandorum you'd know what i mean (even though it's pure sci-fi in the end). But i find myself reading old sci-fi classics more often - there are still things to read...

Anyway - i think when it comes to books it's always hard to recommend anything cuz ppl have different tastes. I'd just choose based on genre and overall review score or that short text printed on back of a book.

Ok, a question - how expensive books are in your area? It's sort of surprising you have to use librarry. Even in here everyone just buy books in a large stores or "book bazzars". Usual cost is around 10-15$

Spoiler:
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 12/17/2009, 8:19 am

AlexT wrote:
    You don't like this type of things in books?
    It's not that I don't like it. It's just in general that they are mostly more of the same. Similar to normal scifi tech in cheap scifi. Many of these paranormal or superhero stuff use those ability to cover up for lacking depth in the story, hence, I never liked X-men.

Ok, a question - how expensive books are in your area? It's sort of surprising you have to use librarry. Even in here everyone just buy books in a large stores or "book bazzars". Usual cost is around 10-15$
    Well, I guess for most normal novels you pay about the same price everywhere.
    For bigger, documentary, special books prices start around 50$.
    If you are a student you will pay 2-4 times as much as say europe. The reason is that in the US student books are printed differently for each semester/year with little changes(exercises) and that the publisher have free reign in price management.

Spoiler:
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 12/22/2009, 12:42 pm

Well the Friends of The Library has it's sell every October.The closest book store to where I live is Borders in Spokane which is 45 miles to the southwest.Then there is a Barnes & Nobles in the Northtown Mall.The problem with BUYING books is that sooner or later my room will start looking like Yumiko Readman lives there!!!!
    Almael
    Almael
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by Almael 12/23/2009, 9:00 am

mitsuki lover wrote:Well the Friends of The Library has it's sell every October.
    Right, one of the rare reason for me to go to the convention center. The only way to get cheap big books.

The problem with BUYING books is that sooner or later my room will start looking like Yumiko Readman lives there!!!!
    You will never attrack sexy spelling bees like that. Laughing
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 12/28/2009, 3:32 pm

Well I don't know when I will get to Spokane again,probably not until some time in January.
    For now I checked out Command Decision by Elizabeth Moon.So far so good.
    mitsuki lover
    mitsuki lover
    Imperial Admiral
    Imperial Admiral

Post by mitsuki lover 2/3/2010, 12:25 pm

Just finished reading a biography of Anne Boleyn yesterday,so I think I might start looking into reading historical fiction set during the Tudor Era.Our library as a few of those including a couple mysteries set at Elizabeth I's court.
    btw,the beginning of the Tudor period of English history corresponds with the Warring States Era in Japan.And I believe Inuyasha is set around the same time as the end of Edward VI's reign and beginning of Mary I's.
    (By all accounts Edward was a snotty brat!)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 3/28/2024, 12:53 pm